Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Oh boy, another one of these threads. Maybe we'll even get past the second sector this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

AmewTheFox posted:

Oddly enough, he had DW3, and I remember liking the game, but I don't think he even got past the third "Gym Leader". I remember the two of us working hard to see what Blast Digivolution actually did. (A mechanic that hasn't been explained yet) I don't think we ever got a result.

For the most part your spoiler just digivolves you to your next natural form instantly for a few turns and also lets you use that form's finisher for free. it's also a full hp/mp heal. poo poo gets weird past level 40 It's really strong sometimes but annoying to set up.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bonus points for it not saving, so it's basically non existent on actual hardware unless you're fond of 6 hour sessions.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Are you playing the PAL version? There's some extra content there that might matter sometime around update 1000.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

If I ever want a song that both brings nice and awful memories to myself, I listen to the first song linked here. It reminds me of all of this game, which is both nice childhood nostalgia and awful memories of getting my poo poo kicked in constantly and grinding for hours and hours.

Getting Adult evolutions this early is pretty much a must, and the game literally just began. It's not getting any better.

Also I feel it deserves pointing out, while most of the enemy stats are invisible to the player (and you can't ever get any of them to check yourself, the player and enemy Digimon pool are completely separate) any element in their attacks is visible, such as Betamon's attack bringing lightning on the screen. It's one of the very, very few mercies the game has on the player.

Also also I beat this with Maniac so I have no idea what you're doing with Renamon and I'm very curious. The only out of place training I've done in my runs is training Agumon on Dark Resistance because, as the tutorials thankfully stated (for once)...

...and this effectively means you can get a Perfect evolution for Agumon before the level he'd get his true one...although every time I've tried, I got it like, one or two levels before so it didn't make any difference.

Basically everyone can get early perfects and early ultimates are a given due to the ridiculous level for the natural ones. If you rush SkullGreymon by leveling Greymon instead of other dumb crap at the start you can hit BlackWarGreymon right around the time you hit MetalGreymon. His other option before getting MetalGreymon leveled is the Guilmon line and that's more than a little pointless. Simply being in a decent Ultimate at that level makes him a decent physical attacker when combined with his stat gains and weapon availability.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The third item down at the bottom floor of El Dorado is Imperialdramon's helmet.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Maybe I didn't get far enough in this game to get one, assuming there's a fast transport, but it'd be nice if the game that was heavily cribbing off of Pokémon gave you a bike or something.

There's no fast travel but there are 2 alternate means of getting around that might get you places faster if you have a bunch of maps on hand.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yapping Eevee posted:

go and play that card game right now damnit

You're gonna have to be halfway competent at it eventually if you want to show everything off, seeing as there are sidequests and such tied to it. Hell, there's even special tamers and digimon to challenge for one-of-a-kind cards.

And halfway competent basically just means buying a bunch of summon devimon and actual devimon in the next town and building your deck around that. You'll have to do something else eventually but it's more than strong enough for quite some time.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

giver336 posted:

Does the plot normally take this long to get rolling, or is it just Yeti's grinding?

This game is just grindy as gently caress. He's really not overleveled at all, though he has done so a bit smarter than a first time player would.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Kemix posted:

Might want to look around, there might be a translation patch for it, but it honestly (probably) falls under the :filez: banner.

It's also very, very incomplete. Last I saw it stopped right about when you were getting your last couple champions.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

GawainStark posted:

That is a drat shame I was looking forward to that patch.

Good news is I just checked at they finished translating the story on the 5th but it still needs a lot of editing. There's still all the tutorials and menus and other stuff like that to translate and the main translator is calling it quits.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

GawainStark posted:

Well, I can go with out the menus. If I can memorize Super Robot Wars and SD Gundam G Gen World's menus, Digimon game menus won't stop me.

You're going to have to because the guy doing most of the translating got embarrassed by screenshots of his earlier work and decided he's not going to have any more releases til it's all finished, including the loving encyclopedia.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Realistically that means the project's dead because no one's going to jump in now just to handle thousands of pages of lore dumps no one's gonna read.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

mateo360 posted:

non-homebrewed PSP

Is no excuse because signed homebrew has been a thing for years. And worst case you can enable it on any model just by looking at a picture.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Wait, this is nearly the end of the game?

Halfish.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Agumon, Renamon, Kumamon Seconding the above motion, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

SectumSempra posted:

It takes a gently caress ton of grinding to hit the natural megas.

You can entirely beat the game having 1 or 2 natural megas if you just do the work to scrape by.

Some of the experience tricks are fishing for things past your level hitting their weakness until you train enough in gym to whomp them,

chasing after rare colored numemon otherwise it's just somehow get to the 60-100k necessary.

And digivolutions go up max 1 level per battle.

This game gives dragon quest 8's grinding curves a run for its money, but its not a horrible game, it just has silly flaws especially for a game targeted towards children that was 20 bucks on release and released during the ps2 cycle.

It's not as grindy as Dragon Warrior 7, thankfully.

• Locked thread