Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Chimera-gui posted:

That was the biggest writing problem that hurt Frontier and the one people hate most.

Not the one where every character who wasn't the main hero or his rival consistently couldn't get a finishing blow in, even in their focus episodes, and had to be saved by said hero or rival? The one that eventually got so bad that they became nothing more than Super Mushrooms for the hero and rival, giving up their powers to access the main duo's stronger forms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Hey, Yeti, any chance you can add the Digimon's level to your enemy write-ups? I mean, it's not a big deal, but it does make some things a little more humorous, like when you mentioned that Pharoahmon is a Mega. You're still running mostly with Champions, and you basically turned one of the franchise's power barriers into a minor speedbump. Always funny to point it out when the games let your Rookies become stronger than the best Super Mega Special Digimon.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

GeneralYeti posted:

Sure thing! I'll go back and update the old updates too.

Thanks. FYI though, you missed like everyone from Minotauromon on in update 5.

Edit: Ignore me! Apparently I posted as you were updating. My bad.

Also, good poo poo, I forgot Musyamon was only a Champion.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

:spergin:For anyone reading who doesn't follow Digimon and localization stuff, and might be a little confused by Blaze Dragon's post: :spergin:

The levels Digimon go through in Japanese are

-Baby 1
-Baby 2
-Child
-Adult
-Perfect
-Ultimate
-Super Ultimate*

The English dub renames these levels

-Fresh
-In-Training
-Rookie
-Champion
-Ultimate (yes)
-Mega
-Ultra*

As you can imagine, this can be a bit confusing when fans use localized and original terms interchangeably, specifically Perfect/Ultimate and Ultimate/Mega. I always figured they should have swapped the Mega and Ultimate terms ASAP in localized versions to fix it, but we're well beyond the point that could be viable. So, you know, just something to be aware of. Yeti is using localized terms for levels, for reference.

*Super Ultimate/Ultra only exists when specifically noted in a continuity. It represents Digimon that are, essentially, uniquely powerful. Ultimate/Mega level Digimon that fuse or use a super form are, more often than not, still classified as Ultimate/Mega levels. If a series or game wants to separate those further from the normal classifications, though, they will be bumped to Super Ultimate/Ultra. This is fairly rare, and will not come up in this game at all.
:goonsay:

Kurui Reiten fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 30, 2016

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

All they would have had to have done really was swapped the terms in the dub and future products, and the change would have spread rapidly from there. The anime's what most people remember with nostalgia for Digimon in Western countries, not the virtual pets.

I mean, you're not wrong, but that was the perfect point to quietly shift them, and it passed.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

As I said, you're not wrong. Simply that in my opinion, it would have been better to have made the switch. Also in my opinion, it would have been better to pour tons more money into the franchise, and make lots of Tamers merch, and localize every game and manga, etc etc.

My opinions are frequently not viable.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Renamon, Guilmon, and Monmon, because Monmon is the closest thing we have to Terriermon and his evolution family's incredible love of firearms. :patriot:

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

if all else fails, if there's something weird in Digimon, poop is somehow involved

In Cyber Sleuth, well trained poop is the key to both power leveling and rare item acquisition.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I'm pretty sure this plot made a lot more sense back in the days of the PSX when WoW didn't exist as a template for MMOs and VR pipe dream stuff was still magic instead of overpriced, low-content poo poo.

Also before it went through the standard lovely Translation Process.

Also probably not much more sense.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Missin' in-game pics for Chryslimon Red and Raremon Red there, BTW.

Also, I completely forgot about this part of the game. Honestly, there is some hilarious crap coming up, but now I have no idea when.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Don't worry.

The plot gets weirder.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Chimera-gui posted:

I'm almost certain that there was supposed to be a normal colored KingNumemon but for whatever reason, it was never released.

Echoing Blaze's point since at this point in the franchise Digimon have been shown fusing with armor eggs in 02, humans on more then one occasion, non-Digimon digital lifeforms

Everything beyond this point was not around when DW3 was released, and I'm just counting the D-Reaper for that last one.

I mean, weirder things happen in the series (the entire D-Reaper arc in Tamers is basically Cthulhu Mythos + Computers in the real world), but at no point in this game's story has it been previously established that jamming a Digimon into a ship results in a super robot. I love the design, but without establishing the Digital World and Digimon as real things with reality warping properties, as opposed to just parts of an MMO, this makes no sense.

This is also a game where technology that allows an eleven year old and his online battle monsters to appear in real life in the middle of a military base with all abilities and powers intact is treated as nothing particularly special, though, so logic isn't quite running at full blast here.

Also, Tankmon is missing its level (Champion).

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Digi A to LL
CHAMPION

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

It shouldn't come from those two, that's the game just throwing it in because it was the new hotness at the time. Though really, according to the actual card game, 90% of digivolution lines intersect over and over and over again anyway, so it's a pretty loose system.

• Locked thread