Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

"I don't have the energy to put up with idiots. She makes me want to punch kittens."
Oh this game. Will it ever be properly LP'd?! I can only hope so!

I remember loving this game as a kid but also never being even slightly capable of beating it. As of the most recent update I think we've reached the furthest point I've ever gotten to. I hope to one day see how this game ends, but playing it is kinda torturous now that I'm an adult. I'm counting on you!

It's interesting to see how different my reaction to the game is now as an adult compared to how it was as a kid. Even little things like when Kite and Kail dressed up as Agumon. As an adult, it's kinda creepy. As a kid, I thought it was kinda cute and funny. I remember thinking that Kite probably thought it was fun and that Kail must've been scowling the whole time. I even doodled a picture back then that I dug up just for you guys. Have some decades-old fanart!

Should've made her more scowly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

"I don't have the energy to put up with idiots. She makes me want to punch kittens."
Not to excuse any of the actual bad writing in this game, but I think a lot the issues you're having with it could be resolved with the assumption that they are not actually in an MMO. If you watch the cutscene where you're entering Digimon Online for the first time, you see that you don't actually end up going where they're trying to send you. You get redirected to some mysterious location. I think the implication is that you are in the actual Digital World, not an MMO that somehow took on the properties of one. MAGAMI didn't create the Digital World, they just tapped into it and set up shop as if it was the game they created. That's why the corporate spies are so surprised at Digimon Online. It's so realistic and fun because it IS real (as real as Digital Worlds get I suppose). MAGAMI might have some degree of control (summoning new Digimon partners perhaps? Hiring people to actual as section leaders and quest givers), but by and large the Digital World is doing its own thing. The reason you have to go to Amaterasu server to get the DigiEgg of Knowledge is because that's just where it is, not because a MAGAMI programmer designed it that way. (Though a Bandai programmer did and that's still horrible.)

I could be wrong though, I haven't seen how this "story" plays out past here.

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

Well, it's also basically the explanation given in Tamers, too. The Digital World is its own place that existed simply because data networks exist. But early in its development, some human computer programmers started making a game and artificial life by tapping into the Digital World's existence by accident.

If I recall correctly, this game came out right around the time Tamers was finishing up, so I think it was supposed to set the 'basis' for Digital World rules at the time.

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I can't believe we're going to have an LP of this game that actually finishes. :stare:

I want to believe. I really do. But now that you've said this, I'm expecting the LP curse to hit them hard. *crosses fingers no one's hard drive explodes*

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

If I recall correctly, it's some kind of space station.

EDIT: Sorry for the spoiler, the way the game just drops information, and due to not having played this far, I just assumed this was where we 'learned' about Juggernaut.

DjinnAndTonic fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 3, 2016

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

Hmmm, that latest update seemed to have semi interesting content again. As if you could have cut out the last like five updates worth of the game and nothing would be lost. This game sure likes its padding. It's such a shame. It feels like there could be a good game in here but instead they drowned it in bullshit and backtracking.

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

I still think this whole game makes a lot more sense if you realize that obviously no one is in a game, MAGAMI just figured out (or stumbled onto) how to send people to the Digital World and decided to profit on it by telling everyone it's a VR MMO. It would explain why the "Emergency Exit" is locked behind some dungeons and only on one server. It's obviously just a naturally-existing digi-port that they slapped the name "Emergency Exit" on to keep people from using it and to have a justification for guarding it. They also probably don't want any rogue Digimon escaping into the Real World.

Now, why they decided to pass off another dimension as a VR MMO in the first place is just dumb.

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

GeneralYeti posted:

Someone brought this up in the thread as the premise for this game. I've been under the assumption that this was an MMO of sorts. Because, y'know, the game basically said that in the first update. So, if going by this dialogue, that means that it's just a Digital World some asshats took advanatge of and made a game out of it.

Now, this fixes some issues I've had with the story, but now it just adds a few more because

A) Something like this could have been a cool reveal, instead we get humans in Digimon suits;

B) Could have gone towards developing Kite as a character, whereby he drops a small bit of his happy self to ensure the safety of all Digimon. Imagine more quips from Kite about the A.o.A.;

C) Might have helped some of the more casual fans get intrigued in the lore, thereby increasing sales;

D) Have to go back and remember each point of stupidity -- like Vemmon -- and kinda rationalize it with a new premise. Now the plot is structured in such a way that it needs to be seen again;

Ugh.

It's worth noting that they revisit this concept in the manga Digimon NEXT with a new, slightly less awful cast and implement it in much the way you're suggesting. They reveal the game to be a veneer on top of a digital dimension early on and actually explore a difference in game perceptions versus how a more naturally constructed world works.

Arguably they somewhat reuse the game turns real concept again in the games Re: Digitize and Cyber Sleuth but the manga pretty much lifts the VR pod setup almost wholesale from DMW3.

So basically... at least they learned their lesson?

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

Maybe we were voting on which of them he was gonna kick off the team? And now he has to train Kumamon up from scratch... Look what you've all done.

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

Yeti's character development from an eager-eyed young child full of nostalgia for a game with pretty sprite art into a jaded bitter ragebeast tempered only by Giver's snark is what kept me coming back to this LP. Storytelling at its finest!

Seriously though, I'd love to see you guys take a crack as Cyber Sleuth or Next Order for your next Digimon game. Neither of them are perfect, but they are worlds better than anything the Digimon franchise has produced before. So you guys might actually... you know... have fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

The newer games in the Digimon franchise are infinitely less terrible than Digimon World 3 and 4, which are arguably the worst things the franchise has ever produced. I'm not sure if you want to start another long JRPG, but if you want an enjoyable one, Cyber Sleuth could really use a quality screenshot LP that will actually get finished. (And I kind of want to see the post-depression character growth arc for Yeti and Giver.)

• Locked thread