Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I can type up a post describing the various starters in more detail if people wanted (I did that for the last thread before it went under).

But yeah, Digimon's great. It's a shame every Digimon World game bar Cyber Sleuth is so much grinding. 3's probably the worst in that regard (all the walking), but hey, cute animations I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Partner Analysis Part One

Preface: While the Digimon's natural stats and elemental tolerances are given, almost all of them can be tweaked with training (even HP/MP). The only things that can't be altered are equipment options.

Kotemon

Starting stats:
HP: 150
MP: 100
Str: 48
Def: 44
Spr: 41
Wis: 34
Spd: 33
Elemental Tolerances: Water > Thunder > Machine > Dark > Fire > Ice = Wind

The balanced swordsman, Koteman appropriately belongs in the Balance pack. He heavily leans towards physical offense, his natural line picking up access to Fire and Ice based physical attacks. He also picks up healing techniques, although nowhere near as fast as Patamon. Excellent early tolerances to Water and Thunder serve him well early on, and his weak points to Wind and Ice are nearly nonexistent til near the end of the game.

One problem Kotemon has is a lack of options. He's almost more or less stuck with his Dinohumon line for a long while for physical options. However, Kotemon does get early access to the Greymon line, and is the fastest route to Wargreymon and Omnimon, opening up avenues for magical offense and utility. He's not terribly exciting, but it's hard to go wrong with Kotemon - his stats are well balanced and can go in whichever direction you want. He also has a good array of equipment options and doesn't have to fight with Agumon or Guilmon for weapons, so for the undecided, he's an easy pick.

Monmon

Starting stats:
HP: 140
MP: 80
Str: 40
Def: 42
Spr: 26
Wis: 37
Spd: 55
Elemental Tolerances: Machine > Ice = Dark > Fire > Wind = Thunder > Water

Marksman Monmon is the fastest starter of the game, and while his physical stats are a mite lower they still allow him to compete. High Machine tolerance is great, although low Water tolerance does hurt him. Solitary access to bows and guns and the like means he never has to compete with others for weapon options, too. His natural line learns a different set of moves compared to most Digimon; instead of learning elementally-charged attacks, the Hookmon line learns 'Buster'-type moves - moves that deal greatly increased damage to certain families of Digimon, such as Birds, Bugs, etc. While these present a great elementally-neutral option, if up against an opponent for which he has no Busters for, Monmon is left with just average attacks. He does learn the 'Big Shot' line, which offers huge damage at the expense of accuracy, if one wishes to take that risk.

If Kotemon suffered from a lack of options, Monmon is even more bereft - his only early alternate line, Exveemon, is a dead end til Monmon hits level 40. The magical Angemon line is ill-suited for him as well. So that leaves the MetalMamemon line as his only alternate option for a while - which is a fine enough line at least. Fortunately, his natural tree is pretty strong and playing to his strengths (good Speed and physical stats) will easily make him more than capable of holding his own til you eventually open up other avenues late game, if you were still interested.

Mr FUZZUMS Kumamon

Trivia: Kumamon was eventually renamed to Bearmon for translation purposes down the road, as another Digimon was translated as Kumamon in the American dub of Digimon Frontier (which is called Chackmon in JP).

Starting stats:
HP: 180
MP: 10
Str: 56
Def: 58
Spr: 19
Wis: 17
Spd: 49
Elemental Tolerances: Wind > Water = Machine > Ice > Thunder > Fire > Dark

If you want a physical brawler, look no further than Kumamon. With the highest starting HP, Str and Def, and the third highest Spd, Kumamon can throw down in the ring all day. As expected though, he's not nearly as good on the magical side of things - with a shockingly low starting MP of 10, he can't even use his signature tech when he first starts out. Rock-bottom Wisdom scores also means he'll take more damage from magical assaults, and you're going to have to devote a bit of training if you want him to be a fist wizard. As the counterpart to Kotemon, Kumamon's natural line learns Lightning and Wind based physical assaults to contrast with the former's Fire/Ice inclinations. Kumamon's line also learns the 'Chi' based line of moves, which greatly strengthens the power of his next move, including counter-based attacks. His incredibly poor MP means you can't just burn it willy-nilly, though.

Aside from the MetalMamemon line, Kumamon only really has one other option for most of the game - the Kyubimon line, if he really wants to on the magical side of things. Which is a pretty poor option considering his starting stat inclinations - you can make a magical Kumamon, but there are both easier and faster options. The other thing hurting Kumamon is his slow EXP curve, leading him to take longer to gain levels. Kumamon's great stats serve him well early on, but the baseball bear does have to work hard to keep up with the rest of the pack around midgame.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jul 26, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Waterfall of Salt posted:

If I remember correctly, Digitamamon actually does not count as an Ultimate in this game, instead being a level in-between it and Champion. There's two other ultimates that are treated the same, but Digitamamon is an evolutionary dead end so it sucks.

Also early Stingmon DOES make Renamon a surprisingly good physical attacker, if only because that line is very good and makes it really easy to get one of the best Digimon in the game.

On the flipside, Kabuterimon is considered an Ultimate in this game, despite being a Champion in official media.

I'll probably do another starter post sometime over the next couple days, it'll be either Renamon+Patamon or the three two season mascots.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Partner Analyses Part Two

Anime fox and flying potroast. Okay.

Renamon

Starting Stats:
HP: 140
MP: 200
Str: 31
Def: 22
Spr: 61
Wis: 49
Spd: 36
Elemental Tolerances: Thunder > Ice > Water = Dark > Fire > Wind > Machine

Renamon is the obvious pick if you want to go a magical route; excellent MP and Spirit along with good Speed, and decent Wisdom to blunt magical attacks. Her natural Kyubimon line picks up Thunder and Ice magical assaults, which give her solid offensive options throughout the game - Ice is useful for Tyranno Valley and Thunder is nice against aquatic enemies. Her low HP and Defense are problems, as is low Machine tolerance, so treat the glass cannon with care. With her solid Speed and how easy it is to raise Strength in this game, you can even turn Renamon into a physical attacker.

Her alternate routes also open up that option. Renamon is one of two starters to have early access to the Paildramon line - most starters learn one half of the combination (ExVeemon/Stingmon), but don't learn the other til level 40 at least. Renamon can get access around level 20 or so. The Paildramon line offers a good mix of physical, magical and utility/healing moves, allowing Renamon to do nearly everything (although you'd want to stick to her natural line for magical offense). Alternatively, the Kabuterimon line (via Stingmon) goes into a much more physical route. The Growlmon line goes into a more supportive option, with stat boosts, stealing and counters, although poor on actual offensive moves. You do have to shore up her weak defenses, but past that Renamon's sheer versatility offers a lot of avenues - you can't go wrong with having her as an early pick.

Patamon

Starting Stats:
HP: 130
MP: 170
Str: 20
Def: 45
Spr: 48
Wis: 58
Spd: 29
Elemental Tolerances: Dark > Water = Wind > Ice > Fire = Machine > Thunder

Poor Patamon. He's both slow and frail, which is a really bad combination to have. Worst starting HP and Strength in combination with poor Speed render his decent mixed defenses nearly worthless, as he'll get doubled and can't really hit back. His Spirit is decent, but his natural line doesn't help him: the Angemon line only learns one element (Wind), and learns new attacks slowly, so he'll struggle to keep up even midgame. He does learn a lot of healing and defensive moves, but that just means he's good as a healing battery.

What about other routes? The Digitamamon route is a dead end. The MetalMamemon line can shore up his physical deficiencies somewhat, but there are several Digimon that also learn the line with better effect. Patamon does get access to the Paildramon and Greymon lines around level 20, but a bit later than he'd like - you won't be getting anywhere extensive with them without a bit of grinding.

Instead, where Patamon can focus his efforts on is that he's arguably the easiest starter to get access to a Mega - the Angewomon line is accessible fairly early on and offers two Mega routes. Phoenixmon turns Patamon into the ultimate healing option, if you want him to stick to his chosen role, with powerful healing, status cleansing, and revival moves. The Rosemon line has mixed offenses, albeit leaning in a physical direction. Notably, the Angewomon > Rosemon option is by far the earliest option for Water techs (which isn't an option for physicals without accessories). Water is great against Machines and so is a solid element midgame. You do still have to work against Patamon's poor starting stats, but he is workable. It just takes a lot of work.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Ephraim225 posted:

Trade it in for Dusk before it's too late!

Dawn has the cooler starter (Coronamon), the better rival, and you get to beat up Newton and Gutts instead of tolerating them.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

GawainStark posted:

Wow, I never realized how strong the counter crest was.

Counter Crest alleviates a lot of the horrible grinding the game makes you do otherwise. It makes the game so much more playable.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Glazius posted:

...maybe that's just to get you in the habit of checking back at Asuka for more auctions and better gear?

It's still not great. There's I think one section up ahead where the only reason to go back to Asuka is just for an auction. You have no reason to trek all the way back otherwise, and the timeframe for that plot point before the auction switches again is quite short.

So I hope you really like Asuka City.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Chimera-gui posted:

Because that's not the name of Joe's crest in the original Japanese material. Officially, the Japanese material call it either the Crest of Sincerity or the Crest of Honesty depending on what you're looking at while Mimi's crest is called the Crest of Purity in the original.

Yup, the dub here also had it as Purity for Mimi and Sincerity for Joe. Reliability is probably the better fit for Joe, while Sincerity's the better fit for Cody/Iori, who inherited that crest's power in 02 (which also allowed the evolution to Submarimon).

No idea why they mixed it up in the game though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The Rumble Arena series was okay (2 was actually not that bad compared to some of the fighters churning out these days, kinda basically a slightly worse Smash). Digital Card Battles gave all the Digimon all the Diigmon at least two unique animated attacks, which is nice.

I'm not sure I can defend Digimon World Championship at all though. And while they did try with All-Star Rumble, it... just wasn't very good.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Yapping Eevee posted:

Clearly you need to spite Yeti and his card-game hating ways by LPing that Digimon: Digital Card Battle game now.

And then also discount his vote when it comes to choosing a starter. :v:

Man I might actually be tempted to do that but I doubt there's really much intriguing gameplay past the first few cities.

Honestly finding a good Digimon game to LP without sacrificing your soul is basically limited to like... Cyber Sleuth, and you probably need a good recording setup for that.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Since I brought up Cyber Sleuth, apparently I found out today that my Vita memory card went missing, which also contained my copy of Cyber Sleuth that was right at the last dungeon and was in 'I'm totally going to finish this game today, I swear'.

I mean it's not a huge loss, I was more or less done with most of the games that had saved games on it (the only other game I'd probably replay there is P4G). Just means I'll have to play the whole game again if I ever wanted to actually finish it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
But then the level of comparison comes down to Daishuke vs Takatomon, and I think we can generally agree on Takatomon's superiority.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
For all the pain that it caused me with the dungeon trekking, I still liked DW2 because it had some rocking musical themes. :colbert: And they actually went to the effort of having voiced lines for all the attacks.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zagglezig posted:

I remember being surprised Andromon was an ultimate too. I warrant it to the fact that he was introduced in the first arc of the tv show where nearly everything was a champion and we didn't even really know ultimates were a thing.

Andromon wasn't the only Ultimate on File Island! Monzaemon was one, too.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Ephraim225 posted:

Same reason the encounter rates are so high in the DS games. They know there's a lot of grinding required, so they make such a high number of encounters happen in the first place so you, ahem, "naturally" have the levels required wherever you go.

Except that in this case, you're retreading through old areas where the exp is terrible, in a game where the amount of grinding you need to do steadily rises exponentially as you get stronger.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Missed talking about it when it was relevant, but if you go back to the previous update, notice the discrepancy between Monmon and Veemon's EXP values. Yeah, the EXP curve is pretty messed up if you're one of the Slow Growing 'mons. It starts off fairly tame but it gets pretty annoying quickly.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
You almost have to admire the tedium and dedication the programmers underwent to implement all the different Circuit Boards. It's effort nobody asked for.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Blaze Dragon posted:

The use of HeracleKabuterimon there instead of GranKuwagamon is kind of weird considering Takuya seems to want to have the entire Kuwagamon line, but I'm guessing that it's because GranKuwagamon isn't in this game to begin with. If so, H-Kabuterimon is actually a pretty good choice, being a Digimon born from using Kabuterimon and Kuwagamon-species data in the first place.
Also you called his green Kuwagamon a Kabuterimon and you're right about Xuan Wu.

GranKuwagamon exists, but only on our side (it's Kabuterimon's evo).

Yup, Kabuterimon's an Ultimate here, evolves from Stingmon, and into GranKuwagamon. Don't question it too hard.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Actually Renamon has the easiest time.

GranKuwagamon needs Imperialdramon L40, Kabuterimon L40. Kabuterimon's unlocked from Stingmon, which both Renamon and Veemon get early on. However, Renamon just needs to go Taomon > Exveemon > Paildramon > Imperialdramon, so if you really push for it you can probably get it around the mid 30s. Veemon doesn't unlock Imperialdramon til he's L40.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
DW2 still had a good soundtrack. And nearly every attack had its own voiced line, which was cute (even if they didn't adjust it so that the voice would change on different Digimon).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

lezard_valeth posted:

I'm pretty sure there is absolutely no indication ingame of what or how you are even supposed to do this. MetalEtemon will tell you that he can create Ultimate Weapons but he won't give you any hint as to how to do the quest at all.

Can you accidentally (disregarding the fact that some of these are hidden in very obscure locations) stumble upon these Digimons once you reach level 45 and they will tell you "Yo, bring this item and this item" or do they not appear at all if you don't have said items on your inventory?

They don't appear at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
DW2 had a great soundtrack, and I still attach notable nostalgia value to it so even with all its flaws I can't subjectively say it's bad.

• Locked thread