Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
Good luck, I hope you're aware of the undertaking this drat game is. (also the amount of effort to show off the non-US exclusive stuff)

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I like Balance because and Kotemon's Mega. No opinion on names.

This really cannot be stated enough. I want Balance to win for once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
A quick overview of the different Digimon
(or, my last-ditch attempt to get Balanced to win)

Kotemon
EXP gain: Average
Kotemon is the jack-of-all-trades Digimon, with above-average stats in everything. Naturally, he gets a bunch of blade-based evolutions (which culminates into the best Digimon of all time) and moves.
Pros: Good at absolutely everything
Bad: Only average EXP gain?

Kumamon
EXP gain: Slowest
Kumamon is garbage. The worst. Kumamon exchanges MP for high attack and speed. Problem is, Kumamon cannot equip two-handed weapons unlike everyone else which means that he falls far, far behind on the power curve, not only because two-handed weapons are broken as poo poo, but that he also has the slowest levelling out of the entire cast.
Pros: A bear
Cons: Everything else

Monmon
EXP gain: Fastest
Monkey D Luffy here is amazing. Skills focus on elemental weaknesses so Monmon will almost always be able to deal good damage. Highest stat is speed, which is great because Speed is the most important stat to raise in the game.
Pros: Good at everything
Cons: Evolution tree kinda boring??

Renamon
EXP gain: Fast
Renamon is the best magic user in the game (and thanks to it being able to equip halberds, a better physical attacker than Kumamon). Renamon levels up fast, is quick, deals a lot of damage, but can't take a hit.
Pros: Quick Mega access, best mage
Cons: Frail, magic pales in comparison to physical attacks

Patamon
EXP gain: Slow
Patamon, on the other hand, is the worst magic user. Patamon is the designated white mage of the cast. It has high defenses, but it's slow, and in DW3, speed is always a better choice than defenses. Kotemon is the better healer.
Pros: Good during the Rookie stage of the game, not Kumamon
Cons: Viability drops drastically after that.

Agumon
EXP gain: Slow
Agumon is the final mage. Agumon has a much better evolution tree than Patamon, but is also fairly slow. He's okay, I guess.
Pros: Good evolution tree, good set of equipment, fairly powerful
Cons: Slow, levels up slowly

Guilmon
EXP gain: Fast
Guilmon is weird. Guilmon gains a variety of buffs and stealing techs, but lacks the good techs to use them effectively. A decent pick, regardless.
Pros: Fast leveling, good set of equipment.
Cons: Bad set of techs, stats could be better.

Additionally, avatars I made for an old LP attempt at this game

The 5 servers mentioned in the update? Yamato Server appears in Digimon World 4 as what became the Doom Server.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Genocyber posted:

Do you think you could link this game's music where appropriate? One unabashedly good thing this game does have is its OST, imo.
Here's what we've got so far:

Ambience:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFYtiJxNEjA - Kusanagi Street Corner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efL79MfP94w - Login room

Actual music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkKN5nXnmdI - Online Center
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-IOP3Ix6lQ . Main Lobby
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I14UElW8tyM - Battle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEYzTf77_PM - Lamb Chop/Yellow Cruiser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUgaMwIY06c - Asuka City/Start screen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_7n4iVM1l0 - Inn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcGM79uKwiY - Save Screen

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
NTSC is most likely based on a earlier revision, which is why it has a lot more beneficial glitches as well.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

corn in the bible posted:

Digimon Cyber Sleuth might be the first ever good digimon videogame.

As much as I have nostalgia for this game, I would actually have to agree with this statement.

Cyber Sleuth's real good, you guys

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Nuebot posted:

I'm more partial to dusk and dawn, really. They were games that let you grind at your own pace and the grid system of the battle field was fun, it's just a shame they didn't make the most out of it. The Japanese only sequel Lost Evolution was pretty great. I've already detailed my grievances with Cyber Sleuth but I just can not let this go :negative: the game has more jacking in and out of the internet than a battle network game, and at least every time you had to run to some random vending machine or whatever in those games you didn't also have to fly through a tube of random encounters to get into the internet proper. I also found the difficulty curve way too stop and go because until you got some platinum numemon there weren't many good places to grind doubly so since you couldn't revisit dungeons until so much later than the exp there was worthless. Also it's hosed up that wargreymon is legit better than omnimon in that game, the defences and weaknesses/strengths scale ridiculously. I really wanted to like Cyber Sleuth too.

I have the opposite reaction. I really wanted to like dusk/dawn but I couldn't. The labyrinthine and samey areas, the stupidly high encounter rate and uninteresting plot kept me from liking it. Cyber Sleuth has the advantage of having a colorful cast, a good sense of humor and good music. I'd agree that the battle system in dawn/dusk was better, but it's pretty much it's only saving grace and it's kind of hard to enjoy when the rest of it is so... eh.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

GeneralYeti posted:

Okay, so here's the deal: Speed does more than just affect your hit chance. If your speed is high enough (or low enough, compared to an enemies) it's possible to get two turns in a row before the enemy can get one. Yeah. Speed is magnitudes more important than every other stat in the game, and so Patamon - being the slow-rear end piece of poo poo that he is - is pretty much the worst 'mon I could have switched to. Naturally, I didn't remember this, and so proceeded to get my rear end handed to me.

Oh, it's not just possible to get two, you can go even further beyond that. During endgame on my first save (read: before I learned that speed is important), it wasn't uncommon to see the encounters getting triple-turn advantage against my poor team.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
Vegiemon is on the ground level of Plug Cape, east of the bridge.

Other things worth mentioning: Champion Digimon gets a hidden power boost to their attack, which also applies for the other five stages of evolution in this game

Now that you have access to get past the rapper you should also have had access to the like fifth best shop in the game.

Also come on giver there was a perfectly good ninetales joke to make, no need to drag Naruto into this :colbert:

GeneralYeti posted:

I'll let you know right now, there's no ridiculously arcane requirements towards digivolution.

Yeah the worst it gets is like rookie natural Mega into alternate ultimate into alternate ultimate into alternate Mega, which is just a massive slog. Getting access to the stage 3 Mega Digimon are also really obnoxious and roughly as time wasting, but at least you get an actual stronger Digimon out of it

Waterfall of Salt fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 24, 2016

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

GeneralYeti posted:

Take a look: there's two tiny bits of shadow behind the tree. Yeah, that's the only hint to where he actually is. Honestly? Just run up and down the grove smashing X. It's faster.

Jackass Veemon.

Veemon: OK, I'll give you the Tree Boots like I promised!

Scene fade, exit stage left.

Not shown: not only is there a pixel hunt for the Veemon, there's also decoy digimon hidden in the area that have no purpose but to annoy you.

quote:

So, fishing! This gimmick is going to be either your best friend or a colossal nightmare.
Definitely best friend. One of the differences between 2003 and 3 is that in 2003 the fishing spots eventually dry up and you'll have to exit and reenter the area. 3 has no such limit, so you can just set up a turbo controller or whatever and just mash the attack button and grind without even looking.

quote:

I'm also probably a little higher-level than I should be, but hosed if I'm playing by this game's rules regarding difficulty curves.

----

Or, at least, I did until I went on a shopping spree to get all the new gear. I had enough money between my incessant grinding and selling all my old stuff to get everyone a full upgrade except a second weapon upgrade for Renamon, so right now she's holding a dagger in one... paw... and a copy of Leomon's sword in the other. It's all very bizarre.

Now that I've proved I'm fiscally irresponsible, let's cross the road.

I mean, that money could have been used to absolutely snap the difficulty in half even more. Talk to the guy to the left in the Asuka store :colbert:

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
If I remember correctly, Digitamamon actually does not count as an Ultimate in this game, instead being a level in-between it and Champion. There's two other ultimates that are treated the same, but Digitamamon is an evolutionary dead end so it sucks.

Also early Stingmon DOES make Renamon a surprisingly good physical attacker, if only because that line is very good and makes it really easy to get one of the best Digimon in the game.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Waterfall of Salt posted:

If I remember correctly, Digitamamon actually does not count as an Ultimate in this game, instead being a level in-between it and Champion. There's two other ultimates that are treated the same, but Digitamamon is an evolutionary dead end so it sucks.

Update: just checked, and Digitamamon IS considered an actual Ultimate and not a Champion-2, but it requires the same amount of DVEXP as an Ultimate-2 and gets its signature move at the same level as a Mega.
There are two that are in-between Champion and Ultimate (or champion-2 for short), but Devimon is not an Ultimate.
Funnily enough, Angewomon is treated as a Champion.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Instead, where Patamon can focus his efforts on is that he's arguably the easiest starter to get access to a Mega - the Angewomon line is accessible fairly early on and offers two Mega routes. Phoenixmon turns Patamon into the ultimate healing option, if you want him to stick to his chosen role, with powerful healing, status cleansing, and revival moves. The Rosemon line has mixed offenses, albeit leaning in a physical direction. Notably, the Angewomon > Rosemon option is by far the earliest option for Water techs (which isn't an option for physicals without accessories). Water is great against Machines and so is a solid element midgame. You do still have to work against Patamon's poor starting stats, but he is workable. It just takes a lot of work.
Rosemon is treated as an Ultimate-2 ingame and Phoenixmon is the continuation of that line, so I wouldn't call it two routes.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

GeneX posted:

I want a growlithe. I don't want to be a growlithe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylEOJIssF2c

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

dis astranagant posted:

This game is just grindy as gently caress. He's really not overleveled at all, though he has done so a bit smarter than a first time player would.

He's roughly the levels you'd be at this point with minimal training and there is a reason to wait with that, so I would say he's a lil bit overleveled, but nothing significant. Training just has a massive effect on your power levels.

Game's still grindy though

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
Counter Crest deals the same damage you took to the enemy.

Pal Counter Crest is still crazy good, even if it doesn't proc every time.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It is. I got maybe two or three cities after this point before quitting. It's too much of a grind-fest.

The grinding really is overstated (Yeti is far and beyond over what's actually needed) since there's so many ways to completely break the difficulty curve.*

Rather, the actual biggest problem with playing this game? The goddamn insane amount of padding and backtracking the plot requires along with the vague or complete lack of information on where to go. Seriously, there should be some kind of tally on how many times you go to Asuka City because that poo poo is not okay. I'd say the Sepikmon quest is a low point but there's one part later on that I think is worse.

*Unless you're counting PAL post game, which does require way too much grinding

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Blaze Dragon posted:

And here we are, the moment where nearly all of my runs die. Make no mistake, the Seabed is as deadly as it is terrible, and what follows is even worse. You absolutely need to power-level before you get in here, going in without all of your team as Perfects with some techs ready is suicide. Yeti hit this part far higher level-wise than me, unless you're grinding as hard as the game wants you to, you'll have a single Perfect at best by now, and that just won't cut it from now on.

And what comes after this part is much worse and by far my most hated part of the game, but let's talk about that when we get there.

Honestly, even as a kid who didn't know what he was doing I never needed Ultimates for the Seabed. I didn't get mine until hours after when I stumbled around this entire sector before I found the drat entrance to Byakko city.

Somewhat related: the badlands music is excellent and by far the best song in the game.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

ApplesandOranges posted:

And while they did try with All-Star Rumble, it... just wasn't very good.

That's uh, an understatement. All-star rumble is god damned atrocious and I can honestly say it's one of the worst games I've played.

This is still funny though (from the english reveal trailer, IIRC):

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
Byakko Leader is definitely one of the toughest fights in the game thanks to that goddamn Mamemon and his status effects, and you just stomped him. You're absolutely going to crush the last fourth of the game now.

Also if I remember correctly mirage desert is only 4x4 big. Still a slog though. Only redeeming factor to all of west sector is the Badlands music, which is by far the best in the game.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Veemon, Renamon, Kotemon.

This, because Veemon is probably the best option to show off as many evolutions as possible and you can build him any way you want, Renamon because screw Patamon, and we're not dropping Kotemon until we see that Mega :colbert:

(Also since you're playing 3 and not 2003, is there really any point to this team configuration, since you can't access the post game anyway?)

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Come back to this post in a couple of updates will you? :allears:

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
If you're doing the evolution line I think you are, you DO need to level up Paildramon to 50, since Veemon needs more than level 40 to get Imperialdramon

EDIT: v Oh right, sorry, my bad. Nevermind then! Sidenote: if you fight Datamon before this bit of plot, you still have to go talk to him, go back to Secret Room and do the rest of the plot. It's baaad

Waterfall of Salt fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 28, 2016

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
It's going downhill from here folks. Really far down. Really far down

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

DjinnAndTonic posted:

Not to excuse any of the actual bad writing in this game, but I think a lot the issues you're having with it could be resolved with the assumption that they are not actually in an MMO. If you watch the cutscene where you're entering Digimon Online for the first time, you see that you don't actually end up going where they're trying to send you.
The place you don't end up going is the Yamato Server, which shows up in Digimon World 4 as the Doom Server. This theory could make a lot of sense actually. (though DW4 is based on X-evolution and has no relation to DW3 but :ssh:)

I mean, the easiest explanation is that it's a lovely MMO and they're trying to get money from you by having to grind up multiple characters on multiple servers.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Robindaybird posted:

Invisible ladders seems like something ripped out of Strange Journey or SMTI&II, that poo poo's not fun, it's frustrating padding.

It's frustrating padding - Let's Play Digimon World 3

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
The exception being, of course, if you're not playing the NA version and want to access the postgame in which case you need 5 Digimon at level 45

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Blaze Dragon posted:

Digimon World 4 is a lot worse than this. At least DW3 is still clearly a Digimon game, DW4 feels like it was a completely unrelated (and terrible) game that they retextured into a Digimon game to sell.

Also the DS games have always felt weaker to me, like they completely lack charm. DW3 is genuinely not that terrible so long as you have a way to skip grinding, it is still bad RPG, but it's playable enough that kid me beat it, no other World game can say the same.

Absolutely agree 100%. (Kid me never beat it but put in 200 hours or so, but a lot of that was probably AFK time), though what I theorize happened with dw4 is that it started as a sequel or something to dw3, then the X-Evolution stuff got frontlined and everything else got scrubbed away, based on some throwaway npc lines in both games. It is by far a worse game than DW3 though in pretty much all respects, including loading times. Even so, it is still a much better game than All-star battle. :v:

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

giver336 posted:

Agumon,Patamon

I want to see yeti complain about Pikachu

This, also because tri is the best season followed by savers and this is closest to both :colbert:

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Kemix posted:

ALSO GIVING YOU ACCESS TO THE loving BLACK MARKET ONLY TO loving TAKE IT AWAY THE NEXT loving PLOT HOOK BECAUSE gently caress YOU. I...I...:negative::psyduck::negative:
Actually the airdramon sequence is completely optional. If you go to the other center when everyone returns back to pigs you completely skip the black market

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
The numerous US-only glitches makes it pretty likely that it's based on an earlier revision than JP/PAL. (also, the fact that it got released in US before Japan, which is very uncommon for a JRPG).

Honestly, with the amount of padding and how little actually happens in the middle section (or at all, really), I'd be interested in finding out how complete the game actually is and how much it was rushed out before the PS1 was completely dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
I mean you say that but they made All-star Rumble three years after Cyber Sleuth and that game is far worse than 3 and 4.

• Locked thread