Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh man, DW3. I'm a giant Digimon fan and I'll say this outright: the only good Digimon games are Rumble Arena and Digital Card Battle (and I've heard Cyber Sleuth is good but I can't play it). This? This is not a good game. This is something that gets close to a good game, and then screws up massively and becomes nearly unplayable. It has one of the worst exp curves I've ever seen, which is 100% of the time against the player, with several extreme difficulty spikes that the game expects you to beat through tedious grinding because nothing, nothing, gives good exp.

The plot is nice. The characters are bland, but the designs are pretty neat. The battle system is actually quite nice despite not telling you poo poo about some of its factors (don't ever expect something to point out which elements are good against what). But that exp curve, oh god that exp curve.

And yet? I love this game. I can't play it. I beat it as a kid, but every time I try to do so now, I lose my interest at a specific moment where the game just decides to kick you constantly in the balls, so you'll either die or learn to kill any attempt at pleasure you might have in exchange for absolute grinding forever. How I beat it as a kid, I don't know, and I don't think I'll ever know. But I still enjoy it far more than other Digimon games (excluding the actually good ones mentioned above) because it isn't bland like the DS games, it isn't a mess like the first World, it isn't a dungeon crawler like DW2 and it isn't the gigantic loving terrible poo poo that is DW4. It's beyond grindy, but it rewards your boredom with actual fun, if you can get through it. And yet, I can't call it good - it's something that genuinely comes really close to being good, then fails utterly. And in that failure, many LPs have died. Please break that curse, GeneralYeti, I truly want to see the games of my childhood in the LP Archive and even moreso if they're games I genuinely enjoyed back then regardless of quality (this is not Forbidden Memories - even as a kid I knew that wasn't good).

Having given all of that, I feel the need to post the original opening to this game, because I like it quite a bit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxClZxjgZ4E

Adding the sound effects to that would make the best version, honestly. Also I fully recommend the full version, Miracle Maker is a great song.

And with all of that said...Yeti, why the hell are you not playing the PAL version? You won't be able to actually complete the game!

...Oh, and I guess I should vote...

giver336 posted:

I vote the character be named DumbYeti. Also, yes, Manic pack.

...that'll do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nuebot posted:

:eyepop: I assume this is a spoiler of some kind, but if possible could you elaborate? This is the only Digimon World game I've never really played for more than an hour and I would love to know what kind of gamebreaking glitch this one has. These games don't seem to have much luck when it comes to bugs.

It isn't a glitch, just the NTSC version lacks the postgame for some reason. Basically, the NTSC version ends after Giovanni, the PAL version lets you challenge the Elite Four.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

corn in the bible posted:

Digimon Cyber Sleuth might be the first ever good digimon videogame.

Rumble Arena and especially Digital Card Battle were great games and came far before Cyber Sleuth. Everything else is from mediocre to terrible, though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

mateo360 posted:

Rumble Arena is entertaining for a couple of battles but gets boring and repetitive very quickly. Card battle is great right up till the end when the final boss straight up cheats by opening a command window and rearranging your deck so at minimum your partner cards are on the very bottom. I not sure if it also messes with how the rest of your cards show up but I have never finished the game because of it.

That's the middle point of the game, so if you left there, you haven't played half of Digital Card Battle. In which case, man, you'll want to fix that, DCB is good. And A is easy to beat, just use Hacking, counter-O cards and don't rely that much on your Partners, you have a deck for a reason!

It isn't like this game where you're going to just increase numbers through hours and hours of tedious grinding!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

mateo360 posted:

I just looked at a couple of guides. Why is there a whole second half to this game after that fight? :psyduck:

Because it's a good game with a good amount of content.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

If I ever want a song that both brings nice and awful memories to myself, I listen to the first song linked here. It reminds me of all of this game, which is both nice childhood nostalgia and awful memories of getting my poo poo kicked in constantly and grinding for hours and hours.

Getting Adult evolutions this early is pretty much a must, and the game literally just began. It's not getting any better.

Also I feel it deserves pointing out, while most of the enemy stats are invisible to the player (and you can't ever get any of them to check yourself, the player and enemy Digimon pool are completely separate) any element in their attacks is visible, such as Betamon's attack bringing lightning on the screen. It's one of the very, very few mercies the game has on the player.

Also also I beat this with Maniac so I have no idea what you're doing with Renamon and I'm very curious. The only out of place training I've done in my runs is training Agumon on Dark Resistance because, as the tutorials thankfully stated (for once)...

quote:

Agumon: If you increase dark tolerance, it will learn dark type digivolution.

...and this effectively means you can get a Perfect evolution for Agumon before the level he'd get his true one...although every time I've tried, I got it like, one or two levels before so it didn't make any difference.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The pack is fine, you just have to ignore Patamon entirely because he's useless for anything except healing the rest, so you should only train him until he gets heal moves and then stop using him forever, levelling him only when more MP or better healing moves are needed.

That said mistake 0 was absolutely playing DW3, yes.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Never before have I played a game that I both equally enjoyed and hated.

gently caress Garurumon. :argh:

The entire line is a massive pain in the rear end and a gigantic difficulty spike that thankfully only lasts for their fights. As someone who loves DCB, I second this: gently caress Garurumon. And even moreso, gently caress whoever decided that you needed to face both him and MetalGarurumon twice in a game where forced rematches aren't that common.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

There's more in El Dorado than just the items GeneralYeti pointed out: the entry has Angewomon and HolyAngemon's helmets, HolyAngemon's Excalibur and a Holy Ring. Behind the counter there's WarGreymon's Brave Shield and MetalGarurumon's head. To the right of the stairs are the Bandai artworks of MetalGarurumon, WarGreymon, Impmon and Calumon.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Maybe I didn't get far enough in this game to get one, assuming there's a fast transport, but it'd be nice if the game that was heavily cribbing off of Pokémon gave you a bike or something.

It doesn't but I don't think the game's big enough for it to be annoying, plus the player character runs decently fast. And the game's so poorly optimized that going faster could probably crash it with how badly it loads.

Also I didn't know about the Gabumon card trick. I can't imagine a Gabumon being too useful but I'll still remember it for if I ever play this game again because, hey, free poo poo!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I somehow entirely forgot that fishing could do that. Then again, I don't think I ever did that much fishing - I hate fishing minigames in general.

Blast Evolution is a really cool mechanic that's so poorly implemented you might never see it, or you might see it once in the entire playthrough. Emptying when you reset the game is terrible, and you need to be really reckless to get it to work, little damage won't fill it at all. You basically need to pick fights above your level just to see it in action, although the results are drat good. I remember one fight later on where I had to use Blast to win because I didn't grind enough, but this is not the time to talk about it. Or the other one where I used Blast gauge-increasing items to get there. Those aren't very useful!

Also the shell with teeth are Syakomon, or rather, Syakomon shells - they lack the Digimon inside of them. The shell of the fittingly-named Shellmon can also be seen in that part of the game!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I need to point out just how bad the roads covered by trees are: they're one-tile big (so you'll hit walls if you go where you shouldn't, fine) and they contain actual deadends. You can continue because you didn't hit anything and think the game doesn't want you to turn, but it does, so you effectively went nowhere and have to backtrack. You end up kinda learning them after doing them enough, though.

Yeti, I definitely wouldn't call every labyrinth a dungeon. I called Labyrinth "Dungeon" once and my girlfriend won't stop making fun of me because of it (we were talking about Final Fantasy, who the Emperor was based on, and I got the name of the movie wrong, whoops)

Pharaohmon is definitely that easy because you're overlevelled. Last time I faced it, I needed to Jogress Evolve (Greymon/Hookmon -> Agnimon) to win. I didn't know about his Fire weakness though, because nothing in this goddamn game ever points out elemental weaknesses or resistances. You can, and in fact most likely you will, go the entire game without knowing about them. Talking about being unclear, the game is also very unclear about Pharaohmon being optional, I didn't even learn that he wasn't a forced boss until a short while ago and I owned this game when it came out.
I then had to use Blast Evolution (Greymon -> SkullGreymon) to beat Pharaohmon. This part of the game allows you to slack on the grind if you're willing to use what you get, I guess...but that's the last kindness it gives.

Also c'mon Giver, Seadramon and you link Dratini? You can do better than this.

Oh, and the boss background has more than just Omegamon's Grey Sword, it also has Knightmon's Berserk Sword.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Whats the one where the MC punches digimon in the face

Digimon Savers, the second best anime (after Tamers)

it was stupid because it reduced the number of characters with no benefit to the writing

It was rather impressive how it literally cut half the possible cast then proceeded to completely ignore 2/3 of the cast it did have for Takuya and Koji and literally no one else, not even the sixth.

Then Hunters decided that was too little and topped it by not only ignoring its own cast in favour of only the goggleboy, but also brought back all the previous goggleboys to ignore them as well in favour of its own.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Valvemon is pretty much the first (of many!) difficulty spikes in the game, and the moment Digimon World 3 leaves it very clear that it expects you to grind your heart out. In my latest playthrough, I just bought Blast items and used them to win, because gently caress it is pretty dang strong and I had no idea about type weaknesses.

Also I feel you two are overthinking the DDNA thing. It's a MMO, in-game. This is just a sidequest to get new Digimon into your party. It justifies itself! Those researchers are probably NPCs even in-game.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You put that Kotemon unlocked Kyubimon rather than Kyukimon, Yeti.

Also I see you're grinding a bit more than me, usually I hit Perfect a bit later. And Suzaku's one of my favourite places in the game, it looks so good. This game has really great art.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

And here we are, the moment where nearly all of my runs die. Make no mistake, the Seabed is as deadly as it is terrible, and what follows is even worse. You absolutely need to power-level before you get in here, going in without all of your team as Perfects with some techs ready is suicide. Yeti hit this part far higher level-wise than me, unless you're grinding as hard as the game wants you to, you'll have a single Perfect at best by now, and that just won't cut it from now on.

And what comes after this part is much worse and by far my most hated part of the game, but let's talk about that when we get there.

Anyways, since Yeti didn't show them, here are the recolours of this part:

As a small detail, MegaloGrowmon talking about bread is likely a reference to Tamers, where Guilmon did like bread a lot (and Takato's parents made bread for a living). He even got his own bread, Guilmon bread, and it's cute and good. Watch Tamers.

Podima posted:

Knightmon ALSO ended my run through this game when I lost over a hour of gameplay to it. :argh:

That's a hilarious dick move, though. I definitely laughed as I got hit with a game over from that.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'll defend Digital Card Battle until the day I die or I finally give up and start a short-lived LP career with it to make other people defend it for me.

Also Rumble Arena was a nice fighter for the PS1.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Tunicate posted:

Why is he called grape leomon? Is he grape-flavored?

Grapple. He's Leomon with Street Fighter data in him, and he chose the best possible fighting style.

Digimon Reference Book posted:

A Grappling-species Beast Man Digimon that took in the data of various fighting games, using their original secrets to crush the opponent. Although it rapidly spins the turbines on both of its arms and feet to unleash ever-changing techniques, the turbines rotate by being blown into all at once by the fighting spirit emitted by its Digicore, and can't run on mediocre emotional strength. Grappu Leomon inherited the data of the "King of Beasts", Leomon, and so that strong will to justice rapidly spins the turbines to their extremes.

Also V-mon, Renamon, Kumamon. V-mon won't be shown otherwise, Bearmon is one of my favourite Digimon ever (and the guy I chose as my lead when I played this the first time) and Renamon is better than Patamon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I need to point this out: Hookmon is very weirdly coloured in this game. Here he is, in his normal colours:

Also, years later, Hookmon would get another evolution: CaptainHookmon, released at the same time as Petermon and Tinkermon for a full Peter Pan cast, only this one fully accepts Peter Pan is an rear end in a top hat and Captain Hook is the hero.

Apart from Hookmon, who definitely is cool...I had no idea about Baromon changing names either. I was sure that there had to be a way, seeing as how names don't change with evolution, but I never found what and I eventually just accepted it was this game being dumb...and it was, you'd think there would be something pointing this out! Digimon World 3!

Also, you keep complaining about Numemon and ladders...Numemon can stick to walls. Why would it need a ladder? Though of course, it doesn't particularly matter if Numemon was human anyways.

Also also, Yeti, you forgot to put HiAndromon's level. He's a Mega, and Andromon's canonical evolution, of course. This makes Andromon one of those weird Digimon that haven't been protagonists in an anime (being a secondary character in Adventure and Tamers, even having a Tamer in the latter) yet have a full line: Hagurumon -> Guardromon -> Andromon -> HiAndromon. Guardromon to Andromon is shown in Tamers, although backwards, Andromon loses his Perfect stage before joining Hirokazu and never evolves again because the world is cruel.
On the topic of HiAndromon, it might be my memory failing, but didn't he use a technique named Copy-Paste or something to that extent? I swear I remember him doing that.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it.

Yeah, this isn't Forbidden Memories. If you cut the grinding down to a managable level, actually guided the player to know that enemies have elemental weaknesses and which, and spiced up the environments a bit, this'd be a pretty good RPG and definitely one of the better Digimon games. It has far more charm than the DS games, it isn't a broken mess like the first World or as weird as what followed it, and I much prefer a normal RPG to a dungeon crawler/RPG hybrid that's just as full of grinding as is World 2. And let's not even talk about World 4.

Sadly this game is still super grindy, it doesn't help the player at all, and while most places are okay some can get boring, which is honestly a minor complaint since you could say the same about most RPGs. The others are far bigger problems, especially the grinding.

GeneralYeti posted:

Also, no, each enemy in the game has one and only one Tech. HiAndromon's is AtomicRay.

I could've sworn. Weird. Maybe it's on another machine Digimon and I just mixed it with my memories of the HiAndromon fight, I haven't gotten this far in the game since I was a kid and could actually stomach the stupid amount of grinding needed. I sure as hell can't now.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I can't believe we're going to have an LP of this game that actually finishes. :stare:

Seriously. Part of me was about to do this LP myself just so we could stop having them die...only to realize this is too grindy for adult me, unlike kid me, and I couldn't get any quick EXP cheat to work. It's really easy to see why LPs of this game die!

Thanks for suffering for us, GeneralYeti, and thanks for adding insult to injury, Giver. You're our digital heroes.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

A small correction: the Leomon recolour is Panjamon, not Panchomon.

Also I distinctively remember the game outright telling you not to gently caress with Knightmon, probably from some NPC. I can't remember who though, it was years ago. I may have just learned that by ramming my head against that particular wall, but I think I was careful around them.

Also also you'd think making 3D models close their eyes to show they're sleep would be easy enough, but nope, just trust us, they're asleep.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

So now we grind for posts so we don't get curbstomped next page, huh? Truly Something Awmon 3.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I find it funny that Gargoylemon, V-mon's Armour Evolution through the Digimental of Light, is given a Dark move here. One that has its element in its name, even.

Talking about names, the correct name for that black Digimon is BlackSaintGalgomon originally (from two breeds of dogs, the Saint Bernard and the Galgo Espańol, and well, black). Dub-wise, it should be BlackMegaGargomon (because we can't have religious words in our children anime, even if they have zero to do with religion...and Engrish), which is understandably reduced to BKMegaGargomon for space...but as shown, this game isn't too sure what the second word there is meant to mean. I guess it got confused with another Digimon whose name was changed for religious reasons, HolyAngemon to MagnaAngemon.

And on the topic of name changes, Imperialdramon's ultimate move was originally Mega Death, changed for obvious reasons. It also wasn't the attack shown here at all, that's Imperialdramon's better-known Positron Laser. I have no idea why they used the wrong move here, even moreso since its description is actually correct, but Mega Death is seen a lot in 02 - Imperialdramon performs it in its evolution scene, destroying an ever-increasing number of castles with it. It's also...really, really rarely used outside of it. I think it was used like once, and then again in Hunters.
Also using Imperialdramon against Imperialdramon was very stylish.

Unrelated, I like how Jyureimon/Cherrymon's colour change makes sense. While others seem to just have a random palette, it goes from Summer to Autumn colours. It's nice, they should add a Wint...

...actually, let's not do that.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

A Digimon named BlackSeraphimon would appear later on in Digimon Frontier, but it should be noted that it has basically nothing to do with the BlackSeraphimon here. They have the same colour scheme of green-on-grey (although with different shades), but DW3's is a straight recolour of Seraphimon (up to using the same special move) while Frontier's is a more demonic version: switching the cross on its helmet so it is now an X, demonic wings, pointed shoes and Mercuremon's smiles on its armour. Its special move also changes to Seven Hells.

Also if they were going to put a Drimogemon recolour they should've used the much superior NiseDrimogemon.

Just look at that moustache. Beautiful.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

giver336 posted:

So I suppose that the player's Digimon is realized much like Kite. I'll give the random encounters a pass since it's a gameplay concession, even though it would convey the narrative better without it. But that doesn't explain the boss' Digimon. :v:

They were realized too, I guess? I have no honest answer to anything that happens here. I want to defend this game but it's clear it was rushed and didn't get a lot of planning.

Anyways, a small correction: Yeti, you complained about not having Toei artwork of Cyclomon. What you've been using is the Bandai artowrk, the Toei artwork is of lower quality and meant to be used for anime appearances.

Talking about low quality, WarGreymon doesn't use its shield to block moves. In a game where the defense icon is WarGreymon's Brave Shield. Too much effort, huh? Dukemon gets to use its own because it's permanently held forward, but making an animation of WarGreymon taking out its own shield to use it was too much to ask for, huh?

Also, I'm really not sure what you're [sic]ing in the Realizing Kite line. Am I missing something? It's an awkward sentence, but "Realize" has been the official term for a digital being appearing in the Real World since Tamers, maybe earlier, and the human world has always been called the Real World in-story.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

BlackKingNumemon there is unique amongst the recolours. Beyond obviously not being a recolour of one of your own Digimon, there's no such thing as a non-Black KingNumemon. I'm not entirely sure why it exists as "Black" without being a recolour, but it does.

Also I don't get the complaints about Destromon when weirder poo poo has happened constantly in Digimon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The use of HeracleKabuterimon there instead of GranKuwagamon is kind of weird considering Takuya seems to want to have the entire Kuwagamon line, but I'm guessing that it's because GranKuwagamon isn't in this game to begin with. If so, H-Kabuterimon is actually a pretty good choice, being a Digimon born from using Kabuterimon and Kuwagamon-species data in the first place.
Also you called his green Kuwagamon a Kabuterimon and you're right about Xuan Wu.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Haifisch posted:

They weren't seriously expecting you to...? - Let's Play Digimon World 3

I know Digimon games vary wildly in quality, but do any of them manage to be more unfun than this? Even DW1 had the weirdness charm factor going for it despite the poorly explained everything.

Digimon World 4 is a lot worse than this. At least DW3 is still clearly a Digimon game, DW4 feels like it was a completely unrelated (and terrible) game that they retextured into a Digimon game to sell.

Also the DS games have always felt weaker to me, like they completely lack charm. DW3 is genuinely not that terrible so long as you have a way to skip grinding, it is still bad RPG, but it's playable enough that kid me beat it, no other World game can say the same.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Guilmon, Renamon. Tamers is the best series.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh man, I have words here.

During the Dark Dungeon, you pointed out the grey Deathmon/Ghoulmon as an enemy. The boss used the black Deathmon, an actually separate Digimon, shouldn't that get a description too?
Also, during the same boss fight, Piedmon and Infermon use their special moves in their basic attack animations: Trump Sword and Hell's Grenade, respectively. I thought that was neat. What isn't neat is that I just realized HolyAngemon lacks his shield, and has a really dumb guarding animation for something that could very easily raise the shield it lacks. It wouldn't even take effort, since it would be just moving its arm, which is every guarding animation here even for the Digimon with shields that don't get to use them, like WarGreymon.

On the video: I have never seen DW3 doing that. Ever. I haven't gotten that levelling up glitch either. Then again, I haven't grinded for 45 hours either...as far as I remember. I was a kid, I could've done that, I did beat this game after all. I'm not proud of it, but I did.

On the forging:
-I had no idea this was even in the game and I cleared this game. What the hell? Does anything even point to it?
-MetalEtemon's dialogue has a mistranslation (surprise of surprises, I know): "Kulon Digizoite" is meant to be Chrome Digizoid, a metal that forms part of many Digimon's bodies and weapons, including MetalEtemon himself. In Adventure, MetalEtemon prided himself on his Chrome Digizoid body, only for it to break against Zudomon's hammer, also made of Chrome Digizoid.
-Also, the main character Digimon weapons used seem to be references to Digimon: SaberLeomon, VenomVamdemon/VenomMyotismon and BelialVamdemon/MaloMyotismon. Considering this is for Agumon and V-mon, this might be an Adventure reference, although the choices are random enough (the first has nothing to do with the next) that it might have no meaning too. Guilmon has no connection whatsoever to the three as well.
-The Bearmon weapons are all references to its final form, Marsmon: Zodiac refers to it being part of the Zodiac XII, while Prominence and Supernova should be obvious. Monmon follows a pretty gun-like naming scheme. Kotemon's weapons might as well be taken from Final Fantasy. It's neat, and I'm still surprised I didn't know of this at all.
Also on the last of Bearmon's weapons, you wrote that MetalEtemon called the Raijin Fist "Rising Fist", is that the game's mistake? Because this game is not well-translated.
-All the forger Digimon, sans MetalEtemon, are Armour-levels. Considering they're working on weaponry, it has some logic. Furthermore, other than Shurimon, they're all Armour Digimon that did not appear in 02, which is neat as hell because they deserve more spotlight, even as random as this is. In fact, I'm surprised the team behind this took the effort to give them all overworld sprites.

Completely disconnected from all of that, Stingmon's flying kick is so cool.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You must suffer this until the very end, GeneralYeti. It is too late to run.

Just...keep something nice around, please. Studying isn't fun, this game absolutely isn't fun, and I can't imagine talking to Giver does good things to your self-esteem.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Something to point out, Girlian Plant is a pretty bad mistranslation (nothing new here). The actual name of the attack is Kirlian Brand, which, quoting Wikimon:

Wikimon posted:

Kirlian is a reference to Kirlian photography, a process of photographing an object by exposing it to an intense electrostatic field, undergoing electronic and ionic interactions; i.e. corona discharges.

Another thing to point out: wow, Kite's bloodthirst knows no end. He gets annoyed because he doesn't get to beat up more AoA members (after beating up a lot of them), and then just says the whole thing was fun even when there was a very real risk of being stuck inside the matrix forever. Our hero, ladies and gentlemen.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Okay, that last part was genuinely funny. Sometimes this game does things right!

It's only sometimes though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm sure there's a perfectly logical and consistent explanation for the sudden appearance of a being whose motivations have nothing in common with the villains that were fought until now and whose design heavily clashes with the rest, especially with such a witty, creative and interesting name.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

While this game is really stupid, and that kind of error would not be out of place in it, it makes perfect sense for Kite to not die in space. This isn't the physical Kite, this is still a digital being, transmitted into (the Digital World of?) a space station. There's no reason why he'd need oxygen or why space should affect him at all.

On the -jinmon, I want to point out that all of them have one of Justimon's arms, and Suijinmon also has Mugendramon's cannons. Also that this game's translation shines once again, Fujinmon's "MaltCyclone" is meant to be "Marut Cyclone".

Also Ragnamon/Galacticmon is cool as hell and I think it's a pretty neat final boss, except for the random gently caress you of the Ragnarok Cannon.

Anyways, this is as far as I know of this game. This would be a stupid thing to point out in any other situation, but I had the USA version, so I never got to play the postgame. I'm not even sure why I played it this far, or why I enjoyed it. I think kid me just had some seriously terrible taste.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kemix posted:

Lets...just hope Yeti isn't crazy enough to grab a file to do the Post game of 2003. Because, jesus gently caress this game

I believe Yeti was already playing in PAL for the post game.

The pain Trailmon never ends.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kemix posted:

CARD GAMES ON DIGIMON!

No, that game is actually good.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It wouldn't make any sense even if they did have space problems, all of those areas already exist in-game. You're just locked from going to them because the postgame happens on a very specific area and for some reason the team behind this game really didn't want the player to deviate from that, despite this being the goddamn postgame.

The postgame shouldn't feel more claustrophobic than the main game, that's ridiculous, but also not the worst thing in this game.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I remember actually having fun with the card game, but I also never got this far, I only played with the opponents you get during the story. That said, it's much worse than the alternative (Digital Card Battle, also for PS1) which is a really fun game.

Talking about DCB, what annoys me the most about this particular card game is the sheer laziness when it comes to artwork. You can see it in the images, there's two types of card: cards with a good background and extremely shrunk models on a black background. The reason for this is that the former are taken straight from DCB (with some changing names and effects completely, like Dark Sevens becoming Darkness Gale) while the latter were made for this game...as cheaply as they could. They look very ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Black Saint Gargoylemon, maybe?

Black Saint Galgomon, actually, but this translation is awful. Not only it can't be arsed to be consistent (the correct dub name would be BlackMegaGargomon), it can't even romanize properly (Sent was blatantly Saint). Ga(l/r)go becoming gargoyle...I can see why it happened since the other Gargomon is indeed Gargoylemon in the dub but it by no means should have happened.

Also stupid: garururu. You couldn't be arsed to translate a goddamn growl? Seriously? I'm willing to ignore BlackMegaroGrowlmon (should be BlackWarGrowlmon if in dub, and even if you want a straight translation it'd be BlackMegaloGrowmon) but c'mon, that's not even bad romanization, that's just lazy.

• Locked thread