Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
This is one of the games I really loved when I was a kid, but going back to it now...I'm not so sure anymore.

I still think it's better than the other 2 Digimon Games to come before it, mainly because I found Digimon 1's mechanics to be very annoying and made even worse by the poor translation, and 2 was repetitive and looked atrocious for a game that saved on disk space by having every dungeon look exactly the same.

This game at least has a good plot as 90's JRPGs go, and the Digievolutions you can get are really sweet. The combat system and the grinding however...

Also, I disagree. SAVING IN THIS GAME DESERVES TO BE SHOWN. In a game where moving one screen too far can mean getting rekt by the local fauna, you are also being punished for being extra cautious and saving frequently by having to sit through something around 25-30 seconds of watching the saving bar slowly make progress.

There is also a weird bug related to saving when playing on an emulator (ePSXe at least). Going too long without restarting the game properly (ie. using Savestates) will cause the maps to not load properly. This can be fixed easily by saving, going to the start menu and loading...except when it happens in the middle of a dungeon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Nuebot posted:

:eyepop: I assume this is a spoiler of some kind, but if possible could you elaborate? This is the only Digimon World game I've never really played for more than an hour and I would love to know what kind of gamebreaking glitch this one has. These games don't seem to have much luck when it comes to bugs.

None that I know of, but PAL version has a postgame with some extra stuff to do.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I too, on my first playthrough, thought the game had just tossed a wild Apokarimon encounter after the Pewter City Gym. I was like "welp, this is probably one of those unwinnable encounters"

Then it turned out that it was Apokarimon's chair. Still a pretty unwinnable fight for a first timer if you didn't have the precaution to grind

dis astranagant posted:

This game is just grindy as gently caress. He's really not overleveled at all, though he has done so a bit smarter than a first time player would.

Not overleveled but save state scamming training sessions DOES make a HUGE difference, since you will get your major stat boosts from there. Specially when RNG just wants to make a little 10 year old playing this game cry and gives you 3 Xs in a row after saving up 10 TPs.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

GawainStark posted:

Wow, I never realized how strong the counter crest was.

I really don't know how the Counter Crest formula works, but the harder you get hit, as long as you survive, you will most likely one shot or at least do insane damage back to your enemy. So once you get the item, you could potentially speedrun the whole game with minimal grinding and spend your turns using healing items.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Once you get the Counter Crest on the US version, the difficulty curve of this game plummets and never picks up again.

Even magic spammer digimon will eventually use a physical attack and fall, since I cannot think of a single magic attack that does enough damage to one shot you Although I think Absolute Darkness hits pretty hard

There is only one instance of a Digimon that you would have a hard time Counter haxing, but we won't get to see it on this playthrough, unless Yeti plans to show the alternate DDNA quests.

Speaking of Magic, one think that I really didn't like about this game is how the animation for enemies have a unique look, but when you use the same magic it's just a generic blue orb that then explodes into effects.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 16, 2016

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Since we are not gonna face it, I'll just say it.

MagnaAngemon is a loving hax.

He will spam Gate of Destiny, which has a very high chance to one shot you, over and over and over and over.

Of course with high enough speed you can evade it and get multiple turns in, plus you can just burn revive items and wait for Counter Crest to do it's magic.

But for the target demographic of this game, on a first playthrough?

gently caress YOU MAGNAANGEMON

Fortunately, our MagnaAngemon can do the same. It obviously doesn't work against bosses, but it's a very good tactic against higher level Cardmons that have insane levels of Speed and will flee when given the chance. Digitamamon can also oneshot mons, but it requires that the enemy first be slept if I'm not mistaken

Also, I'm getting a little bit ahead, but now I remember this game has one of the biggest dick moves and I hope you show it Knightmon

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 24, 2016

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Blaze Dragon posted:

And what comes after this part is much worse and by far my most hated part of the game, but let's talk about that when we get there.

Oh...OH! I almost forgot about THAT. Persiamon

If you haven't cleared that part yet Yeti I would really like to see you try it without the Counter Crest. I most certainly never beat it without it.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Veemon, Patamon, Kumamon

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Aaah the 90s/early 2000s...when featuring a computer in your film/game was a dead giveaway that the plot would eventually have the evil guys haxoring TEH INTERWEBZ to take over the world/launch a nuclear attack/have a communications satellite launch a death beam.

And Digimon World 3 has all of them :allears:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

corn in the bible posted:

ps1 rpgs were expected to be a hundred hours long and they pretty much always did it with padding

"Dammit, Maggie left her Chutulhu plush doll in front of the door. Better go find her so she can move it"

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Glazius posted:

Wait, have you been sitting on training points for the entire game until you got here?

Nah, the game caps at 99 TPs and I'm pretty sure any extra is wasted. That does seem like 11 levels worth of points on Veemon though.

giver336 posted:

Does anyone know if there are Seabed/Circuit Board exclusive bosses? Respond in spoiler text so Yeti doesn't see it.

From what I remember like 10 years ago, after you reach a certain level of charisma, a Black Agumon will spawn in one Circuit Board. You have to fight him or do a fetch quest for him, can't remember which (knowing this game, it's probably the latter). After that more Black Agumon/Numemons will appear on the Circuit Boards and you can duel them. They each posses one rare and very powerful card that they will give to you upon defeat. I'm pretty sure that the Circuit Board Yeti explored that lead nowhere is one of the Circuit Boards that hosts a Black Agumon/Numemon after you start the quest

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

SectumSempra posted:

Came out in 2002 summer, Probably had a harsh as hell deadline.

Wait, poo poo, it came out 2 years AFTER the PS2 release!?!?

This game never had a chance

:rip:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Blaze Dragon posted:

Talking about low quality, WarGreymon doesn't use its shield to block moves. In a game where the defense icon is WarGreymon's Brave Shield. Too much effort, huh? Dukemon gets to use its own because it's permanently held forward, but making an animation of WarGreymon taking out its own shield to use it was too much to ask for, huh?

This is the game where all big Digimons handwave a generic shockwave as an attack. Animations is not where this game's budget went.

Clearly it went to the Circuit Board design.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
There are so many ways they could have built a lore around this game to make it's plot more engaging.

Instead they decided to give half the NPCs diferent variations of "oink,oink!!" talk.

And then the NPC's in Amaterasu server were turned into pigs to boot.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Alternatively, this game could go all almost-Matrix Reloaded and pull the twist that the real world is actually another simulation and that's why Digimon can be ported out or fuse with other machines and turn into Tengen Toppa Robot Taisen EVA-01, but again, we are in the game where the competent villain that apparently helped orchestrate this whole militar mission suddenly goes "Woops I dropped the Lift Key".

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I'm pretty sure there is absolutely no indication ingame of what or how you are even supposed to do this. MetalEtemon will tell you that he can create Ultimate Weapons but he won't give you any hint as to how to do the quest at all.

Can you accidentally (disregarding the fact that some of these are hidden in very obscure locations) stumble upon these Digimons once you reach level 45 and they will tell you "Yo, bring this item and this item" or do they not appear at all if you don't have said items on your inventory?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Ok, it's not as terrible and unforgivable as previously thought, but it is still pretty terrible.

I get what they were trying to do, they were trying to recreate the typical JRPG format that rewarded the player for explorating every single trash bin they could find.

But those games encourage exploration all throughout the game, whereas DW3 is very strict as to where and when you are supposed to go to a place, and it's high encounter rate punishes exploration ultimately discouraging it when you end up reaching an empty dead end that you better remember cause it will probably have an obscure sidequest NPC eventually. Not to mention that the plot of the game already has you going back and forth a thousand times through the same zones, so after the 500th run though Asuka Central Plaza you already feel pretty sure you've explored every corner of it. Also the lack of a proper fast travel option with no encounters.

Made even worse that due to it's high level requirement you will probably end up doing this quest near endgame, and part of the chain will end up giving you 2 intermediary weapons that are worse than what you currently have. A better way to have set up this quest would have been to have it begin midway through the normal gameplay with different level requirements for each tier: ie. level 20 for the tier 1 upgrade, level 30 for the tier 2 upgrade and finally level 45 for the Ultimate weapon.

The whole execution of concepts in this game makes it sound as if the developers of this game had never played an RPG before but think to recall seeing their kids playing one once.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 2, 2017

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Who would have thought Dave Mustaine was the mastermind behind Digiterrorism?

:psyduck:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

dont be mean to me posted:

Oh, no; that one's all sales final.

I'm starting to think the people who made this game had a thing against video games and the people who play them.

I certainly do hope so. A lot of the decisions taken in this game would make much more sense if it turns out the programmers were just making fun of people who play videogames.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Amazing how they can compress the whole game into 2 sectors and it feels more naturally paced than the actual game

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The postgame makes most of the game inaccessible? Sure, why not?

At least you can still make the Ultimate Weapons.

Gonna give the game the benefit of the doubt and say this has more to do with disk space limitation and less with the endgame being half assed.

Thought this being Digimon World 3 the latter is also completely plausible.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Sordas Volantyr posted:

FFVII would have fit all on one disk if there weren't FMVs, and this game has less of everything than FFVII.

Unless their file compression is absolute garbage (which I normally wouldn't put past them, except that Digimon World 1 was entirely 3D and had FMVs, yet fit all on one disk), this is absolutely them half-assing the postgame.

Welp, turns out you are right. The whole game's size is roughly 340ish mb from what I could find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Considering the movies, it seems kind of wrong to make a DNA Digivolution between Diaboromon and Imperialdramon (Paladin).

I'm also not sure how you get Ancient Greymon from those two. :psyduck:

This game came out around the time inbetween Digimon Tamers and Digimon Frontier. Digimon World 3 was mostly there to promote the new season. Hell, the back cover of the CD case shamelessly admits so.

• Locked thread