Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I don't know the first thing about mahjong, but much like Kaiji every episode is a thrilling watch such that while I'm sure knowing the game helps out it's still very enjoyable without knowing a drat thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

mahjong is NOT a sport

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Tanks are tho

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure "sports anime" is just shorthand for "actually interesting anime"

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

jon joe posted:

I'm pretty sure "sports anime" is just shorthand for "actually interesting anime"

There are lots of interesting non-sports anime,

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

mahjong is NOT a sport

mahjong is the realest sport

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Stairmaster posted:

mahjong is NOT a sport

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLq7u2dyA3k&t=50s

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Tanks are tho

Girls Und Panzer is an extremely good sports anime.

If you haven't watched it, no, that was not a joke.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
Kuroko's Basketball is quite good.

It's a little heavy on the "genius" player carries the team trope that a lot of sports anime falls into but it's still a fun watch.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Kuroko's Basketball is NOT a sports anime, but in fact a superpower battles show.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
There is actually a really good sports story in KnB but it's the side plot with Kiyoshi that mostly comes out in the second season.

Wikiman
May 30, 2011
I can't wait for Chihayafuru and Haikyuu to start airing again. Those two are really amazing. I might try Battery out in the meantime.

Also yeah Teppu loving rules and y'all should read it.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Man, Days was really good this week. Tsukamoto is not just abused physically but also verbally and emotionally ( *• ̀ω•́ )b

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

This weekend I started on season 3 of Major, wherein they build a baseball field on a school rooftop to get some practice.

I'm definitely liking it a lot more than season 2. The latter half of season 2 kept introducing completely forgettable characters that felt very disposable, and so far season 3 has changed course in that regard. Like it actually cares about developing the supporting cast again. Crazy idea, I know.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Another thing that is making season 3 better than 2 in my eyes is that the protagonist has to assemble a new team from scratch, as he's in a new high school that doesn't have a baseball team. It's the complete opposite of his situation in the second half of season 2 and as such it's a challenge that he has to solve in other ways instead of just being completely awesome at baseball.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Fabricated posted:

Ace of Diamond is really good. Also, the Eyeshield 21 manga is fantastic in general if you want the Japanese take on American football- it's also drawn by Yusuke Murata who is better known nowadays as the guy who is redrawing One Punch Man.

Don't watch the anime, it's bad.

I'm really enjoying Ace of Diamond right now. I'm still early in the second season but the bit where Sawamura finally conquers the yips and throws another inside pitch is such a great "gently caress yeah!" moment. :madmax:

Also this is a nice long series. 120 odd episodes all together.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Slugnoid posted:

I'm really enjoying Ace of Diamond right now. I'm still early in the second season but the bit where Sawamura finally conquers the yips and throws another inside pitch is such a great "gently caress yeah!" moment. :madmax:

Also this is a nice long series. 120 odd episodes all together.

Unfortunately a lot of those episodes, especially the matches, have loads of filler. Like they sometimes spend an entire episode looking at each other and being surprised and talking about how difficult striking out this person in. I remember an episode where the pitcher only threw 1 pitch. It sucked a lot to watch weekly, but might be better when you're binging.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I prefer binging sport shows in general. No waiting on cliffhanger endings and it makes the drawn-out scenes more tolerable since you're not also stretching them out with a week's wait in between.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yuri on Ice, the cool as gently caress figure skating anime! By Sayo Yamamoto!! is coming out in October. Here's the loving awesome teaser if you haven't seen it yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-xcX0sqkkA

I'm so loving excited you have no idea.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Devil Tesla posted:

:same:

I've watched that PV probably a dozen times and still get chills, I hope the whole show is animated like that and they don't cheap out

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Sayo Yamamoto is an incredible director.

Even if your first thought is "Ugh, figure skating, who cares," I can all but guarantee it'll at least be worth checking out to see if it grabs you anyway.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I did not care about Ping Pong, Karuta, or sports in general until they were made into animes and look where we're at now.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Be a good sport.

Watch sports anime.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
Sawamura av up for grabs if anyone wants it.. :)

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Anyone who's bothered that the protag of Days is some kind of soccer Jesus will probably hate this week's episode. HOWEVER, if you can roll with it kinda owns. Finding a sport to be good at hasn't solved Tsukamoto's many psychological issues.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I've started watching Chihayafuru and oh my god! It's so good!! I like that it's based on a shoujo manga and lacks a lot of the usual shonen sports manga cliches, like stupid gimmicks and THIS GUY.... HIS INTENSE AURA!!! and so on.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

card slappers is king

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

Yuri on Ice, the cool as gently caress figure skating anime! By Sayo Yamamoto!! is coming out in October. Here's the loving awesome teaser if you haven't seen it yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-xcX0sqkkA

Well that was a misleading title

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil Tesla posted:

Kuroko's Basketball is NOT a sports anime, but in fact a superpower battles show.

Kuroko has more hype moments than straight up Shounen shows. The sports drama aspect is lacking but the "powers" are so cool and production IG did such a great job animating this series. It looks great and is super fast/fluid like a real basket ball match. I like sports but Basketball isn't really my thing but this show made me appreciate it even though its really realistic u still get a sense of teamwork etc...

Another great sport series is Yowamushi Pedal. There is 3rd season coming out next year or in Fall not sure. Great anime that shows all the facets of competitive cycling. How a cycling team operates during a race is really fascinating. Each member of the team has a role and section of the race where they can win it for their team. The team works together to protect their main guy by letting him just follow them and be fresh for the final part of the race. This sports anime isn't shouneny, its quite realistic even though the ending of the 2nd season is a bit too much too soon imo. It's a realistic but also very entertaining. It doesn't make up stuff to keep u entertained but explains all the amazing things cycling has. Although there is one character who basically controls the weather and its quite stupid because no one else has anything like that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Did this episode of DAYS have a guest director? It looked a little different, and not in the 'obvious budget/time-crunch episode' way (although there was a smidgeon of that).

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i'll write a bit about hajime no ippo b/c i've done a billion words of it in the actual thread and its probably my favorite anime/manga ever. spoilers so i'll jsut tag it all w/e gently caress it

first thing you will notice is that the series is LONG. if someone were to pick it up now, they'd have about 1200 chapters to read in full probably by the time they caught up. going roughly by where you can expect some character arcs to end, if the manga does indeed finish at some point, you are probably looking at anyhwere between 1500-1800 chapters. i have no faith it'll ever fully end though, and it's difficult to guess how the pacing will go.

pacing is a big part of the HnI experience. because the series has been around for decades, it's got highs and lows. i'll doa quick breakdown of the arcs and my general thoughts on them:

early arcs:
ippos start - ippo is a bullied kid who eventually joins a boxing gym and puts up a good fight against a prodigy at the gym in a spar. the two become rivals. this is decently well paced but looks really dated, arts not bad but not really great, it's generic stuff but fairly good. the characters dont REALLY act like they will for the majority of the story, at this time.

rookie king - ippo and his rival miyata vow to meet at the end of a new-pro boxing tournament. some big new characters are introduced through this storyline and we see the earnest beginnig of ippos career. the fights at this point are actually paced really really well, they're quick but still impactful. two major rivals introduced here, and one of the better fights in the series caps this off

class A tournament - ippo enters a tournament where, if he wins, he will become the #1 seed in japan and has the right to challenge for the japanese belt. theres 3 major fights in this tournament and the first 2 are so-so, with the last being an exceptional one. around this time, the manga sticks really well to what actual boxing is like even if it takes a few liberties with the toughness of the fighters. the supporting cast starts to come into its own which leads to good comedy in the surrounding chapters, because jokes start to work when you can expect certain things from characters.

championship - probably the first real "high" point of the series. ippo begins his road toward challenging for the championship, a major character is introduced, now is when we really start to see the emotional side of the story come into fruition. mind you were 100+ chapters in by this point, so it's been a whle, but i would definitely give this chunk of chapters like a 9/10. the fights are still....generally realistic, but they're really good emotional climaxes which is what makes this part really good.

mid arcs:
defending the belt - you start getting a little repetitive here, but nothing too bad. the story is in a good rhythm and while, for some time, there's no huge emotional payoff, it's certainly not a chore to read.

world champioship - this is probably the absolute pinnacle of the series. takamura, a supporting / secondary character, goes straight to the forefront around this time. takamura vs bryan hawk (and all the build up to this fight) is probably my favorite manga arc ever written, it's really well paced and plotted, the art is outrageously good and the emotional payoff is outrageous.

wwII arc - a flashback story arc that ties with many people for their favorite with the previous one. tells the story of the coach of the gym. not too much to say, pretty strong stuff and definitely can't be missed.

later arc:
MORE belt defenses - it's starting to get tedious now. at this point the manga starts having some alternating lows and highs. there's payoff for other characters (both aoki and kimura have really good arcs through this period, but more often than not they're surrounded by garbage). comedy chapters start becoming noticably better than anything serious.

2nd belt - great arc, you'll love it, etc. takamura vs david eagle

randy boy jr - at the time i read it, i hated this arc. looking back, it's not terrible, the fight itself and emotional surrounding is actually really good (tho the ending of the fight left some ppl pissed). the thing is, once you are this far into the story you will feel very similar to a main character about all of this happening.. makes it easy to be disappointed.

pacific champions - utter jokes and nto even fun. the manga's a literal chore to read at this point.

current arcs:
world challenge - i think thing's are picking up in a good way lately. there's been a noticeable increase in quality for some time now, where the "late" period arcs were all pretty.. awful. i'm excited to see a lot of where it goes as ippo moves onto the world stage, but it's kinda ludicrous it has taken this long. as usualy, whenever takamura takes the main character slot he steals the show and is the best thing for a hundred chapters on either side of his fights (the ones that are "real").

the PROBLEM though is that it's taking SOOOO long for any of this to happen. realistically, takamura should be like 2 more belts ahead. Ippo should've been challenging the world ages ago. aoki and kimura shouldve won the japanese championship or retired by now. the pacing is wacky, and it's pretty bizarre that the first like... 450 chapters are paced incredibly well, the next like 300 are decent, and then it just goes off a cliff after that. i have faith that morikawa can bring it back to its heights.. he does really well when he has a long-term emotional setup ready to be cashed in, and HORRIBLY when hes "filling time" inbetween. i feel like he's ready now for some payoff, and we'll see some good poo poo coming, but it's been a slog for years now.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Next week on Days we finally get to meet WHEELCHAIR MOM! HELL YES!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

Next week on Days we finally get to meet WHEELCHAIR MOM! HELL YES!

Me, I'm mostly in this for best worst manager girl. Wheelchair mom looks promising, though.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Btw is Days more like a traditional sports anime with mostly focused on the sport and drama or like is it more shounen with super powers like Eyeshield or Kuroko no Basket?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Ulio posted:

Btw is Days more like a traditional sports anime with mostly focused on the sport and drama or like is it more shounen with super powers like Eyeshield or Kuroko no Basket?

It's traditional, but pretty flat so far. There's something off about it for me, like it's copying the shounen sports template, but without the spark.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm really digging Days, actually! It's not top-tier but every character has a nice hook, and they're already doing a good job of setting up rivals which means I'm probably in it for the long haul. Im gay and love garbage.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Wheelchair mom... was good ( *• ̀ω•́ )b

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

The Devil Tesla posted:

Wheelchair mom... was good ( *• ̀ω•́ )b

When was she last in the show? 'cause I feel like I haven't seen her since the first episode and now I'm worried I've missed one :ohdear:

Also, Days is really good

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Knorth posted:

When was she last in the show? 'cause I feel like I haven't seen her since the first episode and now I'm worried I've missed one :ohdear:

Also, Days is really good

She's in the episode that came out today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

The Devil Tesla posted:

She's in the episode that came out today!

That would explain it

I'm glad she's back, she was cute

• Locked thread