Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Tsukamom is adorable :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

Yuri on Ice, the cool as gently caress figure skating anime! By Sayo Yamamoto!! is coming out in October. Here's the loving awesome teaser if you haven't seen it yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-xcX0sqkkA

I'm so loving excited you have no idea.

I'm ready and for a min I thought there'd be a older cast but there's the random 15 year old :smith:

Still going to follow it for fall 2016 though. Typically I don't watch sports but great animation.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Alder posted:

I'm ready and for a min I thought there'd be a older cast but there's the random 15 year old :smith:

The core cast are olds so it counts!! Having a teen character isn't always bad thing anyway.

New PV by the way, which looks SO GOOD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBocGR7PlJQ

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Why do people care so much if there's a teen in their anime?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

GorfZaplen posted:

It reminds them of themselves.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

I'm getting old and it's a challenge to relate to the one teen when everyone else is approx the same age range.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

15 years old is accurate tho

If you want to debut in the Olympics at age 19, you need to start training for it at age 11

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Baby Steps was really good; I like how they spared no animation budget for people's faces so they could do the matches well.

Just started watching Ace of the Diamond. I love finding these shows after they've aired and there's a load of episodes to marathon.

Wikiman posted:

I can't wait for Chihayafuru and Haikyuu to start airing again. Those two are really amazing. I might try Battery out in the meantime.

Also yeah Teppu loving rules and y'all should read it.

Battery Ep 1 did not sell me on it, post if you watch more and like it.

Also, I know Haikyuu is starting up again, but I had no idea another season of Chihayafuru was in the works! You have a source on that?

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

CuLT posted:

I had no idea another season of Chihayafuru was in the works! You have a source on that?

I think they were just hoping it starts again, rather than knowing it would. There's apparently enough manga for them to do another season now, but it's not happened yet, nor has it been announced that it'll be happening. Madhouse did the first two seasons, so they'd likely be doing a third if one was announced.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

smenj posted:

I think they were just hoping it starts again, rather than knowing it would. There's apparently enough manga for them to do another season now, but it's not happened yet, nor has it been announced that it'll be happening. Madhouse did the first two seasons, so they'd likely be doing a third if one was announced.

I thought that might be the case, didn't want to get my hopes up :(

Ace of the Diamond ended up being pretty weird - Sawamura is a decoy protagonist that lingers for the whole show. It's almost like the author lost interest in him, but had to keep him in the series because of its popularity.

UnderFreddy posted:

Unfortunately a lot of those episodes, especially the matches, have loads of filler. Like they sometimes spend an entire episode looking at each other and being surprised and talking about how difficult striking out this person in. I remember an episode where the pitcher only threw 1 pitch. It sucked a lot to watch weekly, but might be better when you're binging.

Only benefit is that when you're binging it you can skip through it. It was a while before I realized how much of the backstory for antagonists was inconsequential though.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Between a March Comes in Like a Lion, Yuri on Ice and Tiger Mask, next season is pretty strong for sports

coathat
May 21, 2007

Shogi isn't a sport.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Next season is the season of rugby butts

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

Everything Burrito posted:

Next season is the season of rugby butts

:yeah:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

CuLT posted:

I thought that might be the case, didn't want to get my hopes up :(

Ace of the Diamond ended up being pretty weird - Sawamura is a decoy protagonist that lingers for the whole show. It's almost like the author lost interest in him, but had to keep him in the series because of its popularity.

Only benefit is that when you're binging it you can skip through it. It was a while before I realized how much of the backstory for antagonists was inconsequential though.
Sawamura is basically a mirror image of some Japanese pitcher that's in the MLB now whose name I can't recall- a dude with a natural pitching form who throws everything but heat.

The way I interpret the story is that basically, Furuya is one of those guys who is poo poo-hot in high school baseball because he's tall, strong, and can throw heat where Sawamura is the guy who needs a lot more work to shine but ultimately has far more potential as a pro.

I think the series' over all arc will be him slowly overtaking Furuya as the team's real ace.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

coathat posted:

Shogi isn't a sport.

Neither is karuta but it's here anyway

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
There will never be a third season of Chihayafuru

coathat
May 21, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

Neither is karuta but it's here anyway

Karuta is a sport

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
New chapter of Chihayafuru is out.

http://bato.to/reader#c05411414583bbd1

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Fabricated posted:

Sawamura is basically a mirror image of some Japanese pitcher that's in the MLB now whose name I can't recall- a dude with a natural pitching form who throws everything but heat.

The way I interpret the story is that basically, Furuya is one of those guys who is poo poo-hot in high school baseball because he's tall, strong, and can throw heat where Sawamura is the guy who needs a lot more work to shine but ultimately has far more potential as a pro.

I think the series' over all arc will be him slowly overtaking Furuya as the team's real ace.

This makes sense, but the pacing is unfortunate.

Hace posted:

There will never be a third season of Chihayafuru

Reported for hate speech

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
I'm enjoying Competitve Dance Sports, it's pretty intense

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I'm going to assume it's okay to bump a 10 day old megathread with a simple request, apologies if that's not the case.

I'm interested in watching an anime that's based around a made up sport, something like Girls und Panzer. Any suggestions?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I'm going to assume it's okay to bump a 10 day old megathread with a simple request, apologies if that's not the case.

I'm interested in watching an anime that's based around a made up sport, something like Girls und Panzer. Any suggestions?

Would Dog Days count?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

there's like a million anime about shogi, and i'm pretty sure the rules for that are made up

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Gundam Build Fighters is a good show that's pretty sportsy. There's a recent anime called Aokana about some kind of anti-gravity sport, don't know if it's good though. If you're willing to wait for next season, Keijo!!!!!!!! will probably be good, seeing as it's based on a good manga.

e: The ranking battles in World Trigger are also reasonably sportsy IMO.

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 22, 2016

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

It's really bad but Air Gear is basically about a fake battlesport involving the magnetic skates from Jet Set Radio

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Gundam Build Fighters is a good anime about kids trying to build the best toy robots and then having remote control toy robot fights.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Would Dog Days count?

Is Dog Days actually any good? I remember seeing Chip Cheezum and General Ironicus riff on an episode of it (along with a lot of other way worse or just plain weird Anime Zorak gave them) during an LP of theirs and thinking it looked reasonably charming, but that might just be because most of the stuff they riffed on was generally so awkward-to-bad.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 22, 2016

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Is Dog Days actually any good? I remember seeing Chip Cheezum and General Ironicus riff on an episode of it (along with a lot of other way worse or just plain weird Anime Zorak gave them) during an LP of theirs and thinking it looked reasonably charming, but that might just be because most of the stuff they riffed on was generally so awkward-to-bad.

I remember it being bland but pleasant.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I just finished Haikyuu S2 14 and oh goodness, it's matches all the way down from here and into the new season starting next week. I'm pumped! No more training montages or high school drama interludes!

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I just finished Haikyuu S2 14 and oh goodness, it's matches all the way down from here and into the new season starting next week. I'm pumped! No more training montages or high school drama interludes!

You're in for a treat. Haikyuu is one of those shows that just keeps getting better.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

StrixNebulosa posted:

High school drama interludes? I remember Haikyuu being volleyball 24/7

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

There's a little at the start of season 2, which I actually liked a lot but whateves it's ball time.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

There was a segment where Yachi was new to the team and that felt more highschool-esque, and also the whole segment about studying for exams.

Not to my tastes, but they were well-done and it segued into the training camp which was a fun arc, and now it's time for all of that training to pay off! :D

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

if you don't know anything about mahjong, it might as well be made up. watch Akagi

but the sports series that is absolutely mandatory is Steel Ball Run, it's got racing, horse riding, ball throwing, you name it it's got it. corpse collecting? hell yeah, get in there.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

baby steps is really good, I cannot believe there is a sports manga that features an actual relationship between it's male and female leads rather than will they/won't they for 1000 chapters. also the tennis is good.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

DAYS is pretty cute. I've been watching it during my morning rowing. It's not as tense or burning spirit as other sports anime I've watched, but it's enjoyable.

I still really love Yowapeda, and some day I want to actually read the manga. Such tense episodes, wherein the race advanced a whole 200m.

I enjoyed the first season of Free, but never watched the second.

Haikyuu I started and never finished. Maybe I'll restart it after I catch up with DAYS.

Excited for Yuri on Ice. :allears: and March Comes in like a Lion, which I've been following for a couple years now. Both look beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Since I'm all caught up on Haikyuu, and still have a bit of a hankering for sports anime, how is Yowamushi Pedals? I've heard it's good, but a) is this true and b) does it end on a good conclusion? Or is it like Haikyuu where I'm going to finish it and instantly need more of it, because Haikyuu S2 ends with a "TBC in S3!"

• Locked thread