Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sports anime & manga are good as hell so let's talk about them in this thread, everyone.

The Anime Encyclopedia posted:

Although the protagonist of HARRIS’S WIND (1966) dabbled in many different disciplines, the first true TV sports anime did not arise until STAR OF THE GIANTS (1968)—tellingly, a show about the real-life Yomiuri Giants baseball team, part-owned by the same conglomerate that also owned the broadcaster, NTV. SotG pioneered techniques that have become mandatory in modern anime—framing a sporting contest with the zooms and freeze-frames of martial arts combat. Before long, many sports were represented in anime, including volleyball in ATTACK NUMBER ONE (1969), wrestling in ANIMAL 1 and TIGER MASK (both 1969), boxing in TOMORROW’S JOE (1970), soccer in RED-BLOODED ELEVEN (1970), kick-boxing in KICK FIEND (1970), tennis in AIM FOR THE ACE (1973), and the self-evident A KARATE-CRAZY LIFE (1973) and IN PRAISE OF JUDO (1974). Almost all gravitated toward the common sports story—plucky outsiders winning against overwhelming odds, often in the face of personal bereavement, with family members and coaches seeming to have the life expectancy of the average rock drummer. Later seasons would replay the same story, but at a regional, national, or international level.

I've never seen a sports anime before what should I watch? / I don't like sports, why should I watch any sports anime?

Much like mecha anime, there's a lot of variety in the genre as there's only a single element needed to be a sports anime. And just like how you can enjoy some mecha shows without being a fan of robots, the same can be said of the sports genre too! It sounds crazy, I know. But it's the truth. And to that end here are some good shows to start with:

Ping Pong: The Animation

A more literary side of sports anime, this adaption of a manga by the same name was masterfully directed by Masaaki Yuasa, who around these parts is probably most well known for being the director of Tatami Galaxy. Its stunning visual style complements a character driven show that's not afraid to ponder if giving it all and sacrificing your youth for the sake of a sport is really worth it.

Hajime no Ippo

A great entry point into sports anime if you prefer a more shounen fighting style of show. It's pretty straightforward: A student is saved from bullies by a local boxer, and is convinced to take up boxing after finding out he has some natural talent for it. The fights are tough and the anime is fantastic at making punches look like they hurt.

The manga is long and has its own thread, but the first season of the anime does a fine job at standing alone. 76 episodes isn't the quickest show to sit through, but the pacing remains solid as much like the recent Hunter x Hunter anime there was a lot of material to adapt so Madhouse was able to go through the story at a fast pace and find a great place to stop.

Chihayafuru

The best example of why you don't need to personally enjoy a sport to enjoy a sports anime. Chihayafuru centers around a card game based on traditional Japanese poetry, so unless you're fluent in the language you can't even hope to play it. But don't let that stop you! There's a colorful cast of characters with a lot of heart put into them, and despite how unfriendly the card game is for people that don't understand the language the series directed such that it's not barrier to getting hyped over how a particular match while play out.

Current shows! (As of Summer 2016)

Battery: The Animation

quote:

Asano's novels revolve around Takumi Harada, a young man who moves to a mountain town in Okayama prefecture during the spring break before he enters middle school due to his father's job transfer. Takumi is a pitcher, and after the moves he loses faith in his own talent, when suddenly his classmate Kou Nagakura appears in front of him. Kou has a strong desire to form a "battery" (a combination of a pitcher and catcher) with Takumi.

The first sports anime to air on the Noitamina block since Ping Pong: The Animation, so I have high hopes for this one. As of this post the first episode has aired and it's a solid start to what will hopefully be a strong, character-driven show.

I haven't watched the other two sports anime of the season yet so the best I can offer is a brief copied description:

Days

quote:

The series centers on two boys who were never meant to meet: Tsukushi Tsukamoto, who has no special skills but secretly hides a passionate heart, and Jin Kazama, an isolated soccer genius. On a stormy night, the two meet, and that meeting creates a whirlwind in the world of high school soccer.

Cheer Boys!!

quote:

Haruki Bandou was born into a family of Judo marital artists and expected to continue the family legacy. But he’s about to trade Judo for…cheerleading?! When his childhood friend Kazuma Hashimoto invites him to join the BREAKERS, a male cheerleading club, Haru finds himself amongst a quirky group of boys. Can this squad of slightly odd and cute members make a breakthrough in college athletics?

Hey you forgot to include good shows like Haikyuu or Yowamushi Pedal or-

I didn't want to flood the OP so I've only included a small fraction of the good shows out there and I'll be posting about more of them later, but to kick this thread off and spur on discussion I encourage everyone to post about their fave sports series and/or any sports anime/manga you are going through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

please don't die thread, this is sports thread #3

Don't worry, I will do my best to not get permanently banned from adtrw

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'd compare its methodology more akin to Akagi than anything else. Especially given the same people worked on both anime adaptions, so there's a lot of similarities in how it's executed.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I don't know the first thing about mahjong, but much like Kaiji every episode is a thrilling watch such that while I'm sure knowing the game helps out it's still very enjoyable without knowing a drat thing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

This weekend I started on season 3 of Major, wherein they build a baseball field on a school rooftop to get some practice.

I'm definitely liking it a lot more than season 2. The latter half of season 2 kept introducing completely forgettable characters that felt very disposable, and so far season 3 has changed course in that regard. Like it actually cares about developing the supporting cast again. Crazy idea, I know.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Another thing that is making season 3 better than 2 in my eyes is that the protagonist has to assemble a new team from scratch, as he's in a new high school that doesn't have a baseball team. It's the complete opposite of his situation in the second half of season 2 and as such it's a challenge that he has to solve in other ways instead of just being completely awesome at baseball.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Inadequately posted:

So with all the sports anime airing this season, I've been getting more interested in the genre. What are some of the must-watch classics, both the over-the-top shonen battle kind and the realistic, more grounded kind?

For the former, Hajime no Ippo is incredibly solid. The later seasons get a bit shaky at times but the first anime stays great from start to finish.

Ping Pong is one of my favorite anime ever and while the way the matches are portrayed isn't grounded everything else surrounding the matches serves to humanize all of the players instead of resorting to stock archetypes.

For something very grounded an Adachi series is a perfect fit. Touch and Cross Game are two of his big standouts with anime adaptions, the latter is easier to watch since it might still be streaming and it's half the length of Touch. His stuff really focuses more on the day to day life of his cast, which makes the eventual serious drama stand out that much more.

For something really oldschool you can watch Aim for the Ace. I highly recommend the movie over the series. Dezaki is an amazing visual director and in movie form he has the means to really go all out instead of having some reliance on stock footage.

That's just stuff off the top of my head, there are a bunch of others I missed but I figure that's plenty of episodes to watch already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yah. It definitely scratches a similar shounen-y sports itch.

Either that or Yowamushi Pedal.

• Locked thread