Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm really sold on Days, it's purely a conventional sports anime but it moves fast and can be delightfully evil. The best part was the end of this week's ep, where the super serious team captain talks about kicking a soccer ball the same way Hinata talks about hitting volleyballs, all "boof" and "ker-splash!" I think I finally understand soccer.

I believe in Cheer Boys but it doesn't really feel like it's come together yet. There's enough good moments that I'll keep watching tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Description of an infamous episode of the late 1960s adaption of Star of the Giants, the first sports manga anime adaption, from Anime: A History by Jonithan Clements. The entire episode consists of one pitch and one hit:

quote:

[The episode] builds the tension on the pitcher’s mound, as the pitcher draws back his arm and throws the ball. Exploiting the potentially infinite camera positions available to animators, the script zooms in and out of multiple perspectives — the inner monologue of the pitcher himself and the calculating thoughts of the batter he faces; the commentary of the excitable journalists in the outside-broadcast booth; viewers at home yelling at the television; fans in the bleachers; team members on both sides; the pitchers father and dewey-eyed love interest. Coupled with shots of the arena, sudden zooms and splitscreen effects, flashbacks and voiceovers, the sequence occupies the entire first half of the episode, cutting to the commercial break just as the ball leaves the pitcher’s hand. After the commercials, the episode continues with a similar hyperreal deformation of time, pursuing the ball’s trajectory towards the batter, the bat’s connection with the ball, and the frenzy of action among both teams as the batter hits a home run.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Kuroko's Basketball is NOT a sports anime, but in fact a superpower battles show.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Man, Days was really good this week. Tsukamoto is not just abused physically but also verbally and emotionally ( *• ̀ω•́ )b

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yuri on Ice, the cool as gently caress figure skating anime! By Sayo Yamamoto!! is coming out in October. Here's the loving awesome teaser if you haven't seen it yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-xcX0sqkkA

I'm so loving excited you have no idea.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I did not care about Ping Pong, Karuta, or sports in general until they were made into animes and look where we're at now.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Anyone who's bothered that the protag of Days is some kind of soccer Jesus will probably hate this week's episode. HOWEVER, if you can roll with it kinda owns. Finding a sport to be good at hasn't solved Tsukamoto's many psychological issues.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Next week on Days we finally get to meet WHEELCHAIR MOM! HELL YES!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm really digging Days, actually! It's not top-tier but every character has a nice hook, and they're already doing a good job of setting up rivals which means I'm probably in it for the long haul. Im gay and love garbage.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Wheelchair mom... was good ( *• ̀ω•́ )b

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Knorth posted:

When was she last in the show? 'cause I feel like I haven't seen her since the first episode and now I'm worried I've missed one :ohdear:

Also, Days is really good

She's in the episode that came out today!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Alder posted:

I'm ready and for a min I thought there'd be a older cast but there's the random 15 year old :smith:

The core cast are olds so it counts!! Having a teen character isn't always bad thing anyway.

New PV by the way, which looks SO GOOD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBocGR7PlJQ

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

High school drama interludes? I remember Haikyuu being volleyball 24/7

There's a little at the start of season 2, which I actually liked a lot but whateves it's ball time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

Since I'm all caught up on Haikyuu, and still have a bit of a hankering for sports anime, how is Yowamushi Pedals? I've heard it's good, but a) is this true and b) does it end on a good conclusion? Or is it like Haikyuu where I'm going to finish it and instantly need more of it, because Haikyuu S2 ends with a "TBC in S3!"

Yowamushi Pedal is great! And what he have so far ends at a very good spot, but it's popular enough that they're actually doing another season.

It doesn't have the same kind of relationship drama that Haikyuu is very good at, but there's a bunch of great characters and most of their race strategies are awesomely brutal. It's not as well animated, but it does start looking a lot better in the second season which is cool. Also: every episode has a jokey after credits scene which owns.

So yea, less BROODING more PEDALING UNTIL YOU'RE HALF DEAD.

• Locked thread