Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
There are some excellent sports manga running right now that haven't got an anime adaptation yet, like Ahiru no Sora (basketball), Ballroom e Youkoso (dancing) and Asahi Nagu (naginata). Not sure they ever will, but they deserve the attention it would bring, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Ulio posted:

Btw is Days more like a traditional sports anime with mostly focused on the sport and drama or like is it more shounen with super powers like Eyeshield or Kuroko no Basket?

It's traditional, but pretty flat so far. There's something off about it for me, like it's copying the shounen sports template, but without the spark.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Anyone reading Kami-sama no Volleyball? Devoured 10 volumes this weekend, and it was a lot of fun. A prick that's the height of arrogance is told he'll be the Japanese national team's new manager if he wins the junior high championship with a school that's never won a tournament game. What follows is the unfolding of his grand scheme to manipulate not just the prefecture clubs, but somehow the entire country into the perfect position to work this miracle, with enough results to make the kids wonder if maybe he really is a god. Tons of ridiculous tactics and strategies to fool the other side into thinking they've fooled this side, and so on. I haven't read Death Note, but I imagine it to be something like this. Should be two more volumes out, but I can't seem to find them.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

I can probably recommend Cross Manage, about a footballer whose knee injury crushes his dreams of the future, until he bumps into a girl at his school who's terrible at but still incredibly fond of lacrosse, and she convinces him to become their club manager. The art is nice, with lots of cute girls, and it's got humour and romance and sports all in one package, with the benefit of being completed at 5 volumes. Might step on a few clichés, but it's short and sweet, feeling fresh with both an unusual sport and the management perspective. Seems like someone's been working on a translation this time?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Made it through 4 volumes of Aoashi, a football manga that got nominated for this year's Manga Taishou. Pretty good so far, maybe even one of the best I've read with focus on this particular sport, even if the art is quite rough. Certainly much better than DAYS. Deals more with the professional side of things, as the young protagonist is invited to the tryouts of a professional club's youth team. Starting out, the feeling I get is that it's more interested in handling internal struggles and emotional development than lining up game after game in some big tournament.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Sesuji the high school ballroom dance manga in Shounen Jump is ending next week, apparently. :(

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Oh my god, oh my god, Asahi Nagu will have one of those "important announcements" next issue!! If it's an anime adaptation, there may just be a God after all. The manga is so drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

darkgray posted:

Oh my god, oh my god, Asahi Nagu will have one of those "important announcements" next issue!! If it's an anime adaptation, there may just be a God after all. The manga is so drat good.

Er, the announcement turned out to be a stage thing and a live-action movie adaptation: http://asahinagu-proj.com/
Oh well.

• Locked thread