Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Parasol Prophet posted:

Also the drumline/marching band soundtrack is so good.

Check out Cassidy Byars on Spotify or at this site: http://www.freedrumlinemusic.com/ Those albums show up on my Spotify shuffle a lot and I'm pretty drat familiar with them, and I can confidently say that many of those tracks are used note for note in this show. They either got him involved in writing the soundtrack or they just straight up used that music and didn't pay him because, duh, FreeDrumlineMusic.com. As someone who has taught, played in, and written music for drumlines at all levels, I love these tracks; they're legitimately good and I have no idea why he'd give away the rights to them, but there ya go.

Anyway, that's my contribution. Check 'em out if you liked 'em in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Illinois Smith posted:

As someone who has taught, played in and written music for drumlines at all levels, have you never heard of licensing? Why are you assuming this TV show just ripped a dude's music off without paying him?

Because they're hosted on freedrumlinemusic.com?

Illinois Smith posted:

Also the credits song for the second episode was a Shawn Lee song (who's been doing breakbeat stuff since the 90s). I hadn't heard anything new by the guy for years but still recognized him immediately.

Also also I love the 80s synth stuff they work in as well, like the music that was playing this episode when Gamby gets hit with the meat.

I've also noticed that the riff in this song gets re-orchestrated and used as scene transition music during more serious moments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaalxPspSUQ

timp fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 1, 2016

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Illinois Smith posted:

Like, the first post in that guy's Facebook ticker on the site is him linking to a commercial that used one of his pieces, do you think that oil company didn't have to pay him either? Because his domain name contains the word "free"?

Who's 'that guy'? What Facebook ticker? What site? I'm not trying to get you all hot here but I have no idea what you're referencing. Are you friends with Cassidy Byars on Facebook or something? Did his music get used in a commercial for oil?

And fwiw I've known professional drumlines to use Byars's music without so much as an acknowledgement of its source, even in environments where they were being filmed and broadcast across national media. For years it's been the largest and best source of "stock" drumline music on Spotify and probably other music/social media sites as well. So yeah, I think it could have potentially happened.

I didn't realize this would be such a hot button issue for anyone in this thread!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Illinois Smith posted:

The guy you were talking about. The site that he operates that you linked. It has a Facebook ticker that shows his latest posts.

Using someone's sheet music in a drumline competition or whatever isn't the same thing as using a specific recording of it commercially.

I just came to tell everyone that, if they enjoyed the drumline music in this show, they can look up Cassidy Byars on Spotify and listen to it there, plus more. HBO probably did pay him for it but we have no real way of knowing from what I can tell. Are you satisfied with those two sentences?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Episode was excellent as always, but I gotta admit it seemed a bit out of character for Lee to be so utterly dominated by his neighbor (until the end at least). He lit Dr. Brown's house on fire, why wouldn't he just do something way diabolically and anonymously over the line to him like he did to her?

I mean jesus, calling the cops on him? That didn't seem like something he would do. Although it did produce the excellent scene where he's making up a "you got busted" song while kneeling on his own carpet in the dark, so that's good at least.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Last Chance posted:

The stepdad and the cafeteria guy are my favorite secondary characters.

"Let me ask you a question man, and be honest with me, alright?"

"Yeah, okay, go for it."

"Are you fuckin' Mr. Russel?"

I just rewatched episode 2 and when he sees them both walking out of the woods together while he's smoking his vape, his line delivery of "...gently caress?" is loving perfect

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Propaganda Machine posted:

What I meant by how I hope it's treated is that I'm never seen McBride's stuff before, but if I'm reading this correctly, I'm both hoping and expecting their budding friendship/relationship-for-lonely-cat-women to go as wrong as it goes right, and immediately, and hilariously.

Don't worry, that is more than likely what is going to happen. I don't think Ms. Snodgrass holding Gamby's hand was meant to be a nice, feel good moment. Gamby is perpetually a dick to her (as he is to everyone) and she's clearly hurting from being dumped by Mr. Cool-But-Not-THAT-Cool, and in her vulnerability she reached out to someone she pitied in that moment. It's a bad fit for both of them, and we still have several episodes to see how this plays out for them.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Escobarbarian posted:

Without being too specific, what's the issue with the show as it goes on? Does it get too trite or something? Was waiting until the finale to watch it all but maybe I'll check something else out instead.

It's just not what it seemed like it was going to be. Based on the first episode it looked like it would be a crime drama with a central whodunnit mystery, and it is to a certain extent, but it's actually become more like half prison drama and half "our country's system of due process is a loving nightmare" exposé. That makes for an interesting show, and it's fairly well acted, directed, and written, it's just...not what was advertised on the tin.

E: double post, my b

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

I stopped after the first episode. All the life and fun was sucked out and it became an average boring cop show.

The only thing that stands out is the naked girl in the bowl of liquid at the murdered person's house.

I think you may have posted this in the wrong thread, friend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

Peeps were talking about True Dicks Season 2.

Oh yeah. That's what I get for posting first thing in the morning!

• Locked thread