Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm planning on backpacking in the SNP soon and they warned that bears are active. Normally I'd just create a fire big enough to offend God and man but camp fires aren't allowed.

My dog will be with me but I can't really throw him very far so I doubt I'll be able to throw him at a bear so what should I do? No jokes like a drone or something. Be serious. Like what kind of bazooka should I get? Should I bathe in honey to confuse the bear? Maybe build a moat? Help me out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

read "where the red fern grows", then get a spare dog

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Well, according to the documentary "Mean Girls": "And on the third day, God created the Remington bolt-action rifle, so that Man could fight the dinosaurs. And the homosexuals."
If its good enough to fight a dinosaur, I'd assume its good enough for a bear.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Bring an elephant gun, it's the only way to be sure.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten
Coat your tent in tallow, they hate the smell. As for weaponry, statistically guns make it worse so I guess bring a camera?

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Hmmm. All of these are good options.

Re: camera, what do I do with it? Use the flash to scare it or throw it at the bear? Both?

For guns, what's the biggest bullet I can buy legally? I'm assuming anything under 50 cal will be useless. True story, my uncle who works for Nintendo was in Iraq and he says that 50 cal bullets are so powerful that people die just from being beside it

Edit: elephant gun? Lol That's not even the right animal. Nice try tho

best bale fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 18, 2016

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
What's SNP

Also it's illegal to discharge firearms in national parks (in the US)

e: you could also just not be such a wuss

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Levitate posted:

What's SNP
Shenandoah National Park I think.

Can you get a second dog OP?

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
:iamafag:

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
how do i shot bear

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

AceRimmer posted:

Shenandoah National Park I think.

Can you get a second dog OP?

Well I'm sure not gonna carry my Gatling gun on my own! That'd just be ridiculous.

Hmmm illegal to shoot firearms in the park, eh? Do you happen to know the regulations for drones or maybe firing a gun from a hot air balloon?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Never brought a weapon and I live with some of the biggest grizzlies in the world. Saw two today, in fact.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

bale. posted:

Well I'm sure not gonna carry my Gatling gun on my own! That'd just be ridiculous.

Hmmm illegal to shoot firearms in the park, eh? Do you happen to know the regulations for drones or maybe firing a gun from a hot air balloon?

Park Service will hunt you down like a dog and feed your remains to the bears to encourage their bloodlust

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Aliquid posted:

read "where the red fern grows", then get a spare dog

Dear lord

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Levitate posted:

Park Service will hunt you down like a dog and feed your remains to the bears to encourage their bloodlust

Sounds fine to me

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

bale. posted:

Re: camera, what do I do with it? Use the flash to scare it or throw it at the bear? Both?

You shoot the bear with the camera, silly.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Shenandoah National Park has black bears. You do not need a gun to defend yourself against black bears. You don't even need bear spray. You need to assert yourself and not be a pussy, and they will back down. You also need to store your food and other attractants properly, which will remove the reason black bears mess with camp sites in the first place.

Assuming you can carry a gun in Virginia, which I assume you can, you can legally carry a loaded, operational firearm in Shenandoah National Park. You cannot, however, use your firearm for any purpose other than defending yourself. In the extremely unlikely event you were actually attacked by a black bear and shot it in defense of life or property, we would not criminally charge you. If, however, you negligently caused the situation, for instance by improperly storing your food, or shot a bear in a situation that did not actually pose a reasonable threat to you, you will be cited for multiple offenses.

If you choose to carry a firearm you do not need something especially stout to kill a black bear. Any larger handgun round is more than sufficient, as is more or less any thirty caliber rifle. A twelve gauge shotgun loaded with slugs is a very fine bear defense option. The short range of the platform is not an issue because you should not be defensively shooting a bear at long range. Given Shenandoah is a well-visited park with lots of people around, you should also consider that high velocity rifle rounds keep going for quite a while, and one of your basic responsibilities as a firearm user is that you are responsible for what is behind your target. When I expect to deal with a problem brown bear I carry a shotgun. It is more than sufficient for any black bear you would need to deal with.

However, I advise park visitors, in both brown and black bear country, against carrying firearms in favor of bear spray. This is for several reasons. First, the research literature (see especially Stephen Herrerro's work) shows it is more effective than firearms in deterring bear attacks. Second, it does not kill the animal. As you are visiting the park, you presumably value the resource, and should try to avoid harming it if you can. Third, and this is probably a causal factor in point one, you need to be very proficient with whatever firearm you carry. When the bear charges you is a very poor time to find out whether you can shoot a tight group on a dynamic target under stress. And finally, a lot of people let their guard down in bear country when carrying a gun, because they figure they can solve any bear problem by shooting the bear. This is a good way to get sloppy, which invites problems.

Leave your gun at home. You don't need one. Keep a clean camp and observe best practices in bear country. Take bear spray if you really are worried.

Don't bring drones to national parks. They are loud and annoying to both other visitors and wildlife. They currently require a permit under superintendent's compendium in all units of the national park system. You will not be issued a permit. Drones will remain banned under compendia until we go through the rule-making process and get it into the CFR.

If you are in a hot air balloon and do not land or do anything to the park, you are under the jurisdiction of the FAA, not the National Park Service. If you shoot from your hot air balloon into the park, you will be under the jurisdiction of the national park service, and given that you are airborne in a flying contraption and highly unlikely to be imminently threatened by a black bear, that jurisdiction will probably be asserted to your disadvantage.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So, a sword then?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I'm sure most of us have obnoxious nerd voices so all we have to do and the bears will flee in terror

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
"Fireball! Fireball!" *throws tennis balls*

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

bale. posted:

might actually work to haze a bear

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Kazak_Hstan posted:

might actually work to haze a bear

Norwegian WoW Huntard posted:

Hans Jørgen Olsen, a 12-year-old Norwegian boy, saved himself and his sister from a moose attack using skills he picked up playing the online role playing game World of Warcraft..

Hans and his sister got into trouble after they had trespassed the territory of the moose during a walk in the forest near their home. When the moose attacked them, Hans knew the first thing he had to do was ‘taunt’ and provoke the animal so that it would leave his sister alone and she could run to safety. ‘Taunting’ is a move one uses in World of Warcraft to get monsters off of the less-well-armored team members.

Once Hans was a target, he remembered another skill he had picked up at level 30 in ‘World of Warcraft’ – he feigned death. The moose lost interest in the inanimate boy and wandered off into the woods. When he was safely alone Hans ran back home to share his tale of video game-inspired survival.

Saved his sister from getting bit by a møøse; Could work with a bear, sure!

Blitter fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 20, 2016

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
:eyepop: It's what I get for making fun

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

bale. posted:

Use shivering touch instead, bears have low DEX.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

Never brought a weapon and I live with some of the biggest grizzlies in the world. Saw two today, in fact.

Do you have bear bells? Or do you monologue nerdily?!

I was walking a trail this spring and came over a rocky rise to discover a black bear facing away from me, a little down trail; I backed up a bit, and started stomping around and loudly discussing my foolishness at the bear, while considering the stupidity of wearing in ear headphones and walking quietly on rock. He noticed me, and ambled off into the woods.

The only situation involving bears (wolves, moose) that really worries me is accidentally coming between a mom and cubs (kits, foals) and being too quiet in the woods (downwind, out of LoS) is probably the only way that could happen. Startle reactions can be really bad.

I picked up a nice cheap pair of foam over-ear headphones so I can listen to audiobooks and still hear poo poo like bears farting around, and try to be mindful about spots where I could spook something.

OP has a dog, which can make lots of extra noise/provide scent. Get the dog some bells!

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

AceRimmer posted:

Use shivering touch instead, bears have low DEX.

Seems plausible.

And who wants to shoot that in the face?!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Blitter posted:

Do you have bear bells? Or do you monologue nerdily?!

I hate bear bells with a passion. I just yell BEARBEAR, BEARBEARBEAR a lot.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
okay guys, got my dog a bell. Should be good to go now, yeah?

In case imgur is being weird https://imgur.com/a/GgStl

Also, holy poo poo anyone thinking I'm actually going into the woods with guns

best bale fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jul 20, 2016

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

To be honest, if you ever needed to shoot your buddy in the face, bear protection is a good excuse.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
:ninja: takes mental note

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

To be honest, if you ever needed to shoot your buddy in the face, bear protection is a good excuse.

true story

http://www.wolfsongnews.org/news/Alaska_current_events_1367.htm

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My cousin is coming to visit, and wants to carry guns to feel safe around bears. Maybe he actually wants to murder me.

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
i like hunting and shotting bears w/ guns

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Unless you plan on going out and purchasing a revolver just for bears your best bet would just be a can of bear spray. It's p.drat effective and a lot easier to use/carry around.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

I actually have "people spray" on my camping checklist, they are more likely to be problematic.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

meselfs posted:

I actually have "people spray" on my camping checklist, they are more likely to be problematic.

:agreed:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

unless you're talking about alaska (where all the locals apparently carry) it's weird as gently caress to see someone in the wilderness packing. Hunters I get, people who feel they need a gun for protection make me nervous

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

The bears here are ballistic right now because the buffaloberries came early. Two attacks last week. Still going unarmed tomorrow lol

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

pretty sure canada would get mad at you for carrying a hand gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Whew you guys. I'm back from the darkest depths of the wilderness: George Washington national forest. (Next door to SNP. Decided I wanted to try a different trail)

There were tons of signs of bear activity but thanks to this thread and all of the suggestions I felt completely safe.

Yeah. That's a leatherman squirt. Surprised I wasn't arrested by some libtard who doesn't understand mah rightz

Not gonna lie, I felt the primal thrill of the hunt as I used it to open my mountain house dehydrated raspberry crumble.

• Locked thread