Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Kazak_Hstan posted:

might actually work to haze a bear

Norwegian WoW Huntard posted:

Hans Jørgen Olsen, a 12-year-old Norwegian boy, saved himself and his sister from a moose attack using skills he picked up playing the online role playing game World of Warcraft..

Hans and his sister got into trouble after they had trespassed the territory of the moose during a walk in the forest near their home. When the moose attacked them, Hans knew the first thing he had to do was ‘taunt’ and provoke the animal so that it would leave his sister alone and she could run to safety. ‘Taunting’ is a move one uses in World of Warcraft to get monsters off of the less-well-armored team members.

Once Hans was a target, he remembered another skill he had picked up at level 30 in ‘World of Warcraft’ – he feigned death. The moose lost interest in the inanimate boy and wandered off into the woods. When he was safely alone Hans ran back home to share his tale of video game-inspired survival.

Saved his sister from getting bit by a møøse; Could work with a bear, sure!

Blitter fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

Never brought a weapon and I live with some of the biggest grizzlies in the world. Saw two today, in fact.

Do you have bear bells? Or do you monologue nerdily?!

I was walking a trail this spring and came over a rocky rise to discover a black bear facing away from me, a little down trail; I backed up a bit, and started stomping around and loudly discussing my foolishness at the bear, while considering the stupidity of wearing in ear headphones and walking quietly on rock. He noticed me, and ambled off into the woods.

The only situation involving bears (wolves, moose) that really worries me is accidentally coming between a mom and cubs (kits, foals) and being too quiet in the woods (downwind, out of LoS) is probably the only way that could happen. Startle reactions can be really bad.

I picked up a nice cheap pair of foam over-ear headphones so I can listen to audiobooks and still hear poo poo like bears farting around, and try to be mindful about spots where I could spook something.

OP has a dog, which can make lots of extra noise/provide scent. Get the dog some bells!

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

AceRimmer posted:

Use shivering touch instead, bears have low DEX.

Seems plausible.

And who wants to shoot that in the face?!

• Locked thread