Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Popete posted:

My main problem is that even when I have an example schematic I want to use that tells me capacitor/inductor/resistor values for a part I don't know what type to use. For example how do I decide to use ceramic/tantalum/film?

Ceramic is the default, cheap and really low series resistance. Occasionally there are situations where near-zero series resistance is bad (some linear regulators, for example), but typically these work good for most things that are not high voltage or very high capacitance.

Tantalum capacitors are made from tantalum, a conflict mineral (think blood diamonds, but it's blood tantalum), so avoid if possible, but they have pretty good capacitance/size/price characteristics. Used to be used more than they are now thanks to better ceramic caps and campaigns against conflict minerals. They break-down easily if voltage gets too high, so make sure you spec them with a good amount of headroom.

Electrolytic is for when you need a lot of capacitance. Generally worse in other metrics. You find these in power supplies, or as the 'bulk storage' caps.

There are a bunch of different types of film caps, depending on what they are made of. Some are low-noise and some are for high-power and high-voltage situations.

If you are doing digital electronic design, you will likely use a zillion ceramic caps, an occasional electrolytic when you need the density, and the other types for special occasions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread