Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Patlabor On Television

What is Patlabor?

Patlabor is a mecha anime directed and partially written by Mamoru Oshii of, among others, Ghost in the Shell fame. Contrary to Oshii’s reputation for slow, philosophical thrillers, Patlabor is a comedic and lighthearted show with a fun cast of characters and often silly tone, although it can certainly be serious when it wants to.

Patlabor chronicles the (mis)adventures of the Tokyo Police Special Vehicles Unit 2 Section 2 and their attempts to stop giant robot crime, whether it be a drunken argument that got out of hand or an international terrorist plot.

This time we're going to be watching the TV show and its sequel OVA "The New Files".

For those who joined the previous Patlabor simul

If you joined me for the first Patlabor simulwatch you may find the previous paragraph familiar, and you may be wondering what's going to be different this time around. While the tv show obviously can't match the movies in production values (there are times when the animation can get real janky) or scope, what it does excel at is both comedy and character writing. Expect something similar to the first OVA, but more refined. I've made it no secret that Patlabor is my favorite anime, and that is far more due to this show than any of the movies.

For those who didn't join/finish the previous Patlabor simul

If you for whatever reason weren't part of the last simul but are interested in joining this one you may worry that you need to catch up on what we saw in the previous simul. Lay those worries to rest, as that which we are watching in this simul is a separate continuity from the last one, so you will not miss anything by starting here. If you end up enjoying this show I suggest you go back and watch what you missed last time afterwards!

If you didn't finish the last simul because you didn't enjoy the show, this one probably won't change your mind. While I do think this is the overall better of the two, it is not so radically different that anyone's opinion of Patlabor as a whole is likely to do a 180.
If you didn't finish the last simul because you simply couldn't find the time, this simul will have an overall more relaxed pace, but that plus the fact that it is also a longer show will also mean that the simul as a whole will take longer.

Availability
Until recently Hulu had Patlabor, but unfortunately that was recently removed. The Anime Network ( http://www.theanimenetwork.com/Watch-Anime/Patlabor-The-Mobile-Police-TV ) still has it for streaming, but it is not available in all regions and is also locked behind a paid subscription. Both the TV show and the OVA has been released worldwide however, and you can probably find DVDs of your region online.

Schedule

We will (with a few exceptions) be watching 2 episodes a day monday, wednesday, friday for a total of 6 episodes a week. We will start on monday one week from now. The simulwatch will take a total of eleven weeks plus one week of break, making it the longest one since the Zorak era. With that said, I hope you will stick with it and share in my enjoyment of a really good anime!

Week 1:

07/25: 1,2
07/27: 3,4
07/29: 5,6

Week 2:

08/01: 7,8
08/03: 9,10
08/05: 11,12

Week 3:

08/08: 13,14
08/10: 15,16
08/12: 17,18

Week 4:

08/15: 19,20
08/17: 21,22
08/19: 23,24

Week 5:

08/22: 25,26
08/24: 27,28
08/26: 29,30,31 :siren: extra episode today :siren:

Week 6:

08/29: 32,33
08/31: 34,35
09/02: 36,37

Week 7:

09/05: 38,39
09/07: 40,41
09/09: 42,43

Week 8:

09/12: 44,45
09/14: 46,47 :siren: End of the TV show :siren:
09/16: Nothing!

Week 9:

:siren: BREAK! :siren:

Week 10:

09/26: OVA 1,2
09/28: OVA 3,4
09/30: OVA 5,6

Week 11:

10/03: OVA 7,8
10/05: OVA 9,10
10/07: OVA 11,12

Week 12:

10/10: OVA 13,14
10/12: OVA 15,16 :siren: End of OVA and the simulwatch :siren:
10/14: Nothing!

Droyer fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Can't wait to finally get around to watching all those Palabor DVDs I bought over five years ago but still haven't touched for some inane reason.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've only ever seen the original OVA series so I might try and follow this for once.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I've been anxiously waiting for this! I watched the first twelve or so episodes a few months ago, and only stopped because I knew that this simulwatch was coming up. The TV show is very funny and the characters are all lovable doofuses so I'm excited to see the rest.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yaaaaaaay! Count me in.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I'm ready for Patlabor

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I'm gonna pat, I'm gonna labor, I'm gonna patlabor.

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
This sounds like a lot of anime to watch, but I'll try to keep up.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am glad you called it Patlabor of Love.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I am glad you called it Patlabor of Love.

A friend recommended the name to me, but as soon as I heard it I thought of you.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh cool, I only managed to get 5-6 episodes in until life got in the way for me. I'll just rewatch those episodes and finish with yall. I enjoyed what I've seen so far. The movies are good, even the last one in a weird way.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Droyer posted:

Until recently Hulu had Patlabor, but unfortunately that was recently removed.

HULU :argh:

I was saving watching this for the simulwatch, you can't get rid of it like this!!!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Thread title pun is too dank for me

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Do we have any idea what time we'll be simulwatching at? Last one was 7ish CST, right?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Do we have any idea what time we'll be simulwatching at? Last one was 7ish CST, right?

... I knew I forgot something. If people are fine with 7 CST I can make it 7 CST for this too (Full disclosure: I will be watching it earlier, all the reasonable times for americans are in the middle of the night for me).

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Droyer's avatar is as cute as this show is great. That is to say very.

If you can follow this Simulwatch, you should. Just don't get Alphonse dirty.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

If I have the timezone correct then we have just under two hours before go time, right? Time to cook dinner and get ready!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Mentat Radnor posted:

If I have the timezone correct then we have just under two hours before go time, right? Time to cook dinner and get ready!

slightly under 3 hours actually, if timeanddate.com is to be trusted.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

It starts at 7PM cst, which is an hour 45 from now.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

It starts at 7PM cst, which is an hour 45 from now.

???

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Droyer posted:

slightly under 3 hours actually, if timeanddate.com is to be trusted.

Daylight Savings Time ruins everything once again? It's 5:19pm CST right now according to my clock.

Edit:

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 25, 2016

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Well as long as that's the case for everywhere that has cst that's fine, but it would be a mess if some people started an hour after everyone else.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Here, let me help:

:siren: SIMULWATCH STARTING IN 1.5 HOURS :siren:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

:siren: SIMULWATCH STARTING IN ~7 minutes :siren:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Simulwatch Start

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

itshappening.gif!

I'm starting now.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Off we go!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

That opening was not as good as Koi No Technician, but it was still very 80s and very good.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

That opening was not as good as Koi No Technician, but it was still very 80s and very good.

Yeah the first tv OP is my least favorite of the whole franchise, and even then I think it's ok.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

She might not be Best Girl, but I still like Noa a lot. I was surprised when we did the first Simulwatch and I realized we had a lady protagonist.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Big-Eyes Noa gets the "pretty anime woman" intro music with smooth jazz flute and wind chimes and everything :3:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I just noticed that Noa is chasing this loving APC in heels.

Well, one heel now.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, Noa's still great.

This ED is less so, though. 80s in decidedly less of a good way than the OP.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Good first ep. The massive incompetence of Division 2 makes me want to shake every last one of them.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Oh, Kanuka already? I'd have expected them to hold off on her for a few eps since they had more to work with.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, Noa's still great.

This ED is less so, though. 80s in decidedly less of a good way than the OP.

Midnight Blue owns and I will fight you.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
And yes, I agree, good OP, poor ED.

^^^^^^^ it's 2v1 Droyer, you're outnumbered

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Oh, Kanuka already? I'd have expected them to hold off on her for a few eps since they had more to work with.

Because :swoon:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...It just struck me that Kanuka is kind of like Quattro, only without the traumatic past.

And, y'know, beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I think the ED is kinda cool.

Kanuka with the most badass '80s look - big angular sunglasses and fingerless gloves.

• Locked thread