Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I feel like they've made Noa cuter in this compared to the OVAs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

They...might have made her face a bit more feminine? Been a while since I watched the OVAs, but I think her eyes might be a bigger, bit more pronounced eyelashes? Something like that, because I got the same impression.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Noa has always been the cutest, and best, and my wife.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

They...might have made her face a bit more feminine? Been a while since I watched the OVAs, but I think her eyes might be a bigger, bit more pronounced eyelashes? Something like that, because I got the same impression.

I mean more they way they animate her. The little flapping she did with the chairs while she and Asuma were carrying them is what made me think of it.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Is the 98 in the Ingram's name because it's entering service in the far future year of 1998?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Good work, Miki-chan.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I feel bad for the guy that's too big to fit :(:(:(

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Is the 98 in the Ingram's name because it's entering service in the far future year of 1998?

Yes.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Haha, holy poo poo, Noa nearly killed Mr. Trigger-Happy

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Solid first episode. Noa Izumi is a protagonist we can all get behind

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

"Do you want me to lend you Kanuka?" "...You'd never let me have her." "You can't have her." Hah.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kanuka is so cool. :swoon:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

Haha, holy poo poo, Noa nearly killed Mr. Trigger-Happy

she'll get him next time

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

she'll get him next time

We can only hope.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Always remember to save your game, Noa

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
A good start. I look forward to more wacky hi-jinks.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oh, hey, I just realized we only watch 2 episodes per day. Oops.

Anyway, yeah, this is definitely more Patlabor, and that's definitely a good thing. Noa and Kanuka are still great, looking forward to seeing more Goto, Shinobu, Alphonse.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Spiritus Nox posted:

Noa and Kanuka are still great, looking forward to seeing more Goto, Shinobu, Alphonse.

We will also be getting a lot more of Hiromi-chan than in the OVA/movies. He's a big cutie.

Good start to the series, and that trend continues. There's some good physical robot comedy coming up on Wednesday if I remember those episodes correctly.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

So even before we decided to combine the last patlabor simul with monogatari, i still intended for us to watch the shows in this order, and these first episodes are part of why. If we saw all of patlabor in production order these would follow immediately after the original OVA, and while the way they go about it is quite different, the first 2 episodes of the ova and these first 2 episodes tell very similar stories.

I can't quite explain why, but I love the endcard. Even if it's now a bit humorous since over ten years have passed, I still love the spirit of it.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Noa commandeering the scooter :3:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
The tiny police cars!!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Also, I am going to make a list which will be continously updated as we watch the show of the differences between the television continuity and the movie continuity, so without further ado:

Noa is the new kid of unit 2, rather than unit 2 being newly formed
Both Ingram 1 and 2 have slightly different designs, mostly related to their colors. The tip of the "ear" and antenna on Alphonse is a creamy yellow, and black on unit 2. Unit 2 also has black around its forehead camera. In the other continuity both the ear and antenna were gray on both, and Unit 2's head was all white.
Captain Shinobu Nagumo has brown hair rather than dark blue/black.
The Ingram is now merely the latest in Labors built specifically for police work, preceded by the AV-97 Python, rather than the first one.

Droyer fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 1, 2016

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Droyer posted:

I can't quite explain why, but I love the endcard. Even if it's now a bit humorous since over ten years have passed, I still love the spirit of it.

It's like one last happy taste of the 80's economic boom in Japan before the '91 bust, imagining the crazy possibilities of the near future based on the incredibly rapid advance of industry and technology in the previous ten years. It feels nice and hopeful, if bittersweet in retrospect.

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
After those first two episodes this seriously might be the thing that wins me over on robot anime. I like that the show doesn't take itself too seriously, it fits well with the band of misfits cast, and it doesn't try to hard in justifying itself. There is some fawning over the robots, but most of that is just Noa being a nerd, and the characters seem generally likable. Noa is great, I can't come up with any qualifiers for that, Noa is just great.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I feel bad for the guy that's too big to fit :(:(:(

Yeah, I can relate to him. I'm a pretty big guy and I ran into that exact same situation with a bobcat once.

Knorth posted:

The tiny police cars!!

I love the gloriously 80s cars

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Poor Yamazaki :smith: Him too big

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Knorth posted:

Poor Yamazaki :smith: Him too big

That joke always gets me.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

lol :3:

also I like Goto & Shinobu a lot

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Goto is my favorite.

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
I cheated and watched episode 3, I like that they don't even try to hide what the cars are.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
e: wrong thread

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Droyer posted:

Midnight Blue owns and I will fight you.

:agreed:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I still love these dumb goofs and already like this more overall in terms of tone than I liked Early Days. I still think Patlabor 1 is the quintessential Patlabor but hopefully this ends up changing my mind.

I also love that Tokyo rush hour traffic is SV2's biggest recurring enemy.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 26, 2016

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

I still love these dumb goofs and already like this more overall in terms of tone than I liked Early Days. I still think Patlabor 1 is the quintessential Patlabor but hopefully this ends up changing my mind.

I also love that Tokyo rush hour traffic is SV1's biggest recurring enemy.

They're still SV2. SV2 is the department that deals with Labor-related crimes. Our heroes are unit 2 of SV2.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The 1 and 2 keys are right next to each other on a normal keyboard, Droyer!!!

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 28, 2016

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I unfortunately have to sleep now, but I hope everyone has fun with tonight's episodes (we start in about 15 minutes btw), and i'll catch up with any questions or comments tomorrow.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

15 minutes till more Patlabor!

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I'll be starting about 10 minutes late due to Srice's OP stream, but tonight's eps are good!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

We're off!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I like this imagine spot of Noa visualizing how to pull off all the cool Labor moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ah, good, Noa and Kanuka are friends now

• Locked thread