Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Cool eps, epspecially 33. poo poo's going down. Notable to me is how much Japan's government has lost control of things. We've seen hints of it before, of course, but these eps blew apart the monopoly on legal violence that a modern state is expected to have. They have private companies with state-of-the-art heavy military equipment operating domestically. It'd be like if Lockheed Martin operated its own teams of F-35s over Manhattan (or better planes, whatever). It's a short path to a failed state, or at least a dystopian corporate future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Episode 32: Both a denouement of the last episode, and the start of build up to the next one. Here Noa's feelings of inadequacy reach their peak, with her being unable to do anything during the Griffin attack last episode, but she also learns to channel it towards accomplishing her goal instead of it crippling her. Ota trying to clumsily cheer her up was sweet, as was Asuma getting mad at him for not being better at it. Everyone cares about Noa :3:. Also Kanuka's back :toot:. On the villain side, we learn that Utsumi (or Richard if you prefer) and the people he works for don't necessarily get along as well as it seemed at first.

Episode 33: This episode is all about setting up the pieces for the climax. Utsumi and company betray Shaft, Three-S gets called in, and SV2 are moving in to stop them both, and crippled at that (and they're literally bringing out the big guns). One thing of note is that Kumagami said she has never considered Utsumi an enemy during her conversation with Kanuka. Yet again I think it's sweet how concerned Asuma is about Noa, and Ota duct-taping a Revolver Cannon to a polica car is the best thing. An excellent episode for raising the tension for the end of this arc.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Droyer posted:

Ota duct-taping a Revolver Cannon to a polica car

This was so amazing.

Stream's happening, in just about an hour!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tonight's episodes were really really good, and a fitting conclusion to this chapter of what we might call the 'main' arc of Patlabor. The fight with the Griffin was just fantastic - tense, brutal, well-animated, and heart-pounding in all the right places. Ota also had what was easily his proudest moment of the show to date, and Noa finished cementing her status as a huge loving badass.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Noa finished cementing her status as a huge loving badass.

Oh just you wait...

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
They were really good eps. Beautifully animated, tense, brutal, unpredictable, and immensely gratifying to see Noa kick so much rear end. Loved it.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Tonight's episodes were a thrilling conclusion to this arc. We got some great robot brawling, some of which I'll make gifs of tomorrow.

I hope Hiromi-chan's arm is OK, that gun barrel must be heavy as hell!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://a.pomf.cat/iuvbna.webm

:3:

So, episode 29 was pretty amazing, although holy crap, stop breaking telephones Ota!!

Going to catch up on the rest of the episodes this weekend

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Episode 34: At last, the climactic battle begins! The show has been building up to this confrontation for a long time now, and it does not disappoint! Both this episode and the next have a notable animation bump, and there are a few shots here and there which look amazingly detailed and fluid, especially considering this was a weekly show in 89-90. From a character perspective, we get a brief glimpse of what lies behind Utsumi's smile with his line about how he'd even eat garbage to save his own skin. We also yet again return to Noa's motif with basketball during the short dream sequence, this time going into more detail about what happened and why it has stuck with her for so long, and then using that as a parallel of what's happening right now.

Episode 35: At last, the climax to the longest arc in Patlabor so far. The action in the first half of this episode is absolutely phenomenal. I always love it when two robots fight for a long time, slowly running out of weaponry until finally they're just slugging each other. It's so cool! Noa gave it everything she had and more, fought the griffin on equal terms and looked like a complete badass doing it! Unfortunately it wasn't enough, or at least she feels that way. Despite all she and the rest of SV2 did Bud and Utsumi got away, 3-S managed to play the victim, and there's no way to prove Shaft's involvement in any of it. The crisis is over, but it's difficult to really call this a victory. At least the Griffin incidents are finally over.

For now.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
no stream today, folks

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

PATLABOR
PATLABOR
PATLABOR

https://cytu.be/r/Super_Idol_Time

TONIGHT
TONIGHT
TONIGHT

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Episode 36: This episode follows up on last episode in regards to Noa's problems with self-confidence. She feels as though she isn't contributing enough to the team, so she ends up doing something rash in search of recognition. In the end of course it's Asuma that pulls her out of her funk and reminds her how important she is :3:. A good episode, and a nice little epilogue to the griffin arc.

Episode 37: Another Ota-centric episode, as well as going into the nitty-gritty of SV2 as an organization. This episode really shows that under his rough exterior Ota really does have a heart of gold, and the ending is both funny and sweet.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I just caught up. Having Ota on a billboard that says "Safety First" had me laughing my rear end off.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Time to watch Friday's eps!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

good eps

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

The tubes site isn't letting me chat! I will watch anyway, although what's up with that aspect ratio?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

for anyone who left because you couldn't chat: it works now

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
it works now! the lovely aspect ratio is because I'm having to use an alternate video source for just this ep due to technical difficulties

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I watched the first episode on my own. Everyone hates the sewers level but every drat game has one. That was some silly fun.

I still can't chat on cytube, made an account and everything. :shrug:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Sorry about the technical difficulties tonight, friends. Some I could have prepared for better, some I don't know wtf. Hopefully whatever's up with cytube's chat is straightened out by next time.

Croc ep was fun and silly, but didn't really stand out from other fun and silly Patlabor eps.

The new labor ep was interesting. It was perhaps the most direct Patlabor's been at addressing what's been a recurring theme. "Past vs. future" is too simplistic, but the show's definitely critical of progress and change for their own sakes, and nostalgic for the more personal mechanical arts of the past. We've seen it before with the previous production-model patrol bot candidate and the fancy labor Shaft wanted Div 2 to test, but the one had obvious flaws and the other was sinister. This one seemed on par with the Ingram except for the personal touches that Div 2's mechanics and pilots provide, and didn't have the baggage that Shaft's labor did. The show's made it plain that progress is going to happen and can't really be stopped, so I guess its message is one of moderation. Don't change to something new just because it's new. Noa's attachment to Alphonse is to some extent portrayed as a hindrance, though, and in this ep she had to put aside her instinctive dislike of not-Alphonse patrol labors and give the new one a shot, so on the other side: don't cling to what you know merely out of familiarity.

I'm becoming convinced that at the end of the show, or perhaps at the end of the OVAs, Alphonse will be retired for the next generation. Possibly wrecked first.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Streaming! Streaming!
Soshite tobira ga hiraku yo

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Fake-kaijuu ep was OK, but nothing special. Saw the gimmick quick, and it didn't do much to surprise. The hotel bombing ep was great though. Angry Ota, chill as gently caress bartender, incompetent terrorists - it was a blast. I want the bartender to become a regular.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Oh my god, Goto!

https://u.pomf.is/vxyquu.webm

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Goto is my favourite.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

Goto is my favourite.

:hai:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
:yeah:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Sorry I've gotten behind again!

Episode 38: A pretty good joke episode, although not my favorite. Cantaloupe said during the stream that it didn't do much to distinguish itself from the other joke episodes, and I'm inclined to agree. Fun fact: The homeless guy in this episode is named after an anime director who later went on to make Patlabor the movie 3, thereby proving he deserves to live in a sewer.

Episode 39: Another episode in the "upgrade" arc. While even this new labor couldn't quite cut it, it is clear that SHI are moving in the right direction, using the SV2 officers' input to improve the labor and clearly being invested in the end product. This stands in stark contrast to the piece of junk they unveiled at the labor show. It won't be long now until they finally get it right.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
no stream tonight, folks

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://u.pomf.is/vgdowz.webm

:3: You dopes

Knorth fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 12, 2016

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I would like to file a Declaration of Intent to  stream Patlabor TV . The proposed activity is to take place on  tonight  at  7pm CDT .

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Episode 40: While the "twist" of this episode is pretty easy to see in advance, it has some neat jokes and character moments. Ota having a staring contest with the reporter lady, Kumagami yelling commands while getting a piggy-back ride from Hiromi and finally Hiromi getting a fan :3:. Also, Noa in a swimsuit :love:

Episode 41: Incompetent criminals is a comedy bit that always gets me going, and this episode does it great. Also Maki the bartender is amazing.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Episode 42: A decent episode with a trio of lovable criminals. Perfectly fine, but I don't have that much to say about it. It is fun to see some recurring characters though.

Episode 43: An episode focusing on Momoko the reporter! A fun look at the SV2 from a different angle, with a hint of Noa's insecurity creeping up again. I really like Momoko as a character, so this episode is really good to me.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: I've made a few small changes to the schedule :siren: Instead of having a break in the middle of the week, we'll watch the end of the tv show on wednesday. Same with the end of the OVA in a few weeks.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
e: wait, what am I doing, wrong eps

ee: might be starting the stream a few minutes late since I watched 5 minutes of tonight's first ep instead of Friday's

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 13, 2016

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
ep 42: I liked the goofy villain trio (:3: their ice cream date :3:), and I'm glad they didn't get caught

ep 43: it's a bunch of bullshit that Div2 had to put up with Momoka for 3 days and didn't even get on TV for their trouble :mad:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
prepared ahead of time, from the post I mistakenly made earlier:

:patriot:

:stare: :patriot:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Not even this good dog can ease my disappointment in losing that OP :(

Momoko! :3:

https://u.pomf.is/aqtjwk.webm

Uhh..

Episode 44 was pretty special :)

:3: It's the Lovely Angels!

https://u.pomf.is/asxxhp.webm

Good work Goto

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Episode 44: This is by far my favorite comedy episode in Patlabor until the OVA . Them using a dream sequence to just go all out is fantastic, the 60s sci-fi references are hilarious, everything about the episode is just fantastic.

Bet you weren't expecting this!

Episode 45: An episode centering around Noa and what being a police officer means to her, like the ones for Ota and Shinshi earlier. This episode really showcases how far Noa has come. She still loves labors, but she turned down the chance to work with even more advanced and better equipped ones in favor of staying in the police force. Being a police officer is important to her, and over this show she truly has become a fantastic one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
stream = yes

• Locked thread