Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

A good show :3:

Hopefully I can track down the OVA before everyone starts in a week or so, does it stay with the same timeline or is it like the Early Days one with a 'new' Division?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Knorth posted:

A good show :3:

Hopefully I can track down the OVA before everyone starts in a week or so, does it stay with the same timeline or is it like the Early Days one with a 'new' Division?

it's the same continuity as this one, and it will in fact continue some plot threads and themes from the show.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

A surprisingly tranquil end to a great show tonight - not that it shocked me. Great show. Art, writing, direction were all really on point the whole way through, but Noa was really what made the whole production sing. I'll probably make a bit more of an effortpost about it at some point, but suffice to say that she really became one of my favorite mecha protagonists as the series wore on. Up there with Camille and Shinji in my books.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
That was a cool way for the show to go out. No big external conflict, just arrival of the machine that has finally eclipsed the Ingram, and Noa's response to it. I especially loved the bit where Noa went home and Goto sent Asuma to get her, and I loved Goto's response upon their return.

As chill as always, and it's really demonstrative of how well he's learned to handle his team.

Good end to a good show, and I look forward to the OVAs!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Episode 46: Finally the AV-0 arrives! It can easily be adapted to any pilot on the fly, and in many ways spells the end for the personalised Patlabors of the past, such as Noa and her beloved Alphonse. I really enjoy how this episode finally ties off the recurring plot thread of division 1's upgrade, while at the same time tieing that into Noa's worries. There's also one scene in perticular I'd like to talk about : This entire show, and hell the OVA and movies that we watched before it Sakaki has been presented as this larger than life, infallible genius mechanic whom all the other mechanics practically revere. Then in this episode he sits down and talks with Noa about how he can no longer keep up with the ever-advancing labors of todat, and he does this:
https://jii.moe/EJRcQgQ2-.webm
For the first time we get to see his eyes, and see him for what he really is: A human being, with his own worries and insecurities in a world that seems to be passing him by, which also mirror Noa's worries as well. It's an amazing scene and I love everything about it.

Episode 47: In this, the final episode of the series, Noa finally makes peace with herself and her place in the world. After visiting her parents and the grave of Alphonse the first she realizes that just like it was with her old dog the "death" of Alphonse is something inevitable, and she finally accepts that while also vowing to take it to its very limit until the end of its days. She's strong, she's confident and she knows what she has to do. An amazing ending (for now) to my favorite anime bar none.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

And lastly before we go on break, a final addition to the change list

Noa is the new kid of Division 2, rather than Division 2 being newly formed.
Both Ingram 1 and 2 have slightly different designs, mostly related to their colors. The tip of the "ear" and antenna on Alphonse is a creamy yellow, and black on unit 2. Unit 2 also has black around its forehead camera. In the other continuity both the ear and antenna were gray on both, and Unit 2's head was all white.
Captain Shinobu Nagumo has brown hair rather than dark blue/black.
The Ingram is now merely the latest in Labors built specifically for police work, preceded by the AV-97 Python, rather than the first one.
The Brocken has a different color scheme, it is now bluish gray rather than red.
Beam weapons exist. WE GUNDAM NOW!
Unit 3's head looks completely different (or as completely different as an Ingram can) and it doesn't have an EMP ability.
Takeo Kumagawa exists.
GHOSTS ARE REAL
The AV-0 has a different design, new name (Peacemaker) and less villainous role than its movie counterpart.

See you the week after next, where we start the OVA!

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
These last episodes were a fitting and fairly satisfying end to a great show! I do wish we had a few more episodes worth of space for the crew to go hunt down Bud and Utsumi, but it's not that important.

What is important is that Noa can now continue to find satisfaction and value in her hard work with Alphonse and her coworkers/friends, even knowing that her hunky dreamboat of a robot will eventually be retired and most likely used to train new recruits.

Patlabor is special because of how drat lovable its cast of characters are (yes, even Ota! . . . sometimes). Noa, Goto, Asuma, Kanuka, Hiromi-chan, hell just everyone, could be dropped into any fictional setting together and make it entertaining just because of how well they all bounce off of one another. The fact that they get to work with badass police robots is really just the icing on the cake.

The most glaring hole in my own list of watched anime is the mecha genre, but Patlabor has reminded me that the cast is what makes a show enjoyable to watch, not the genre. I'll be looking forward to the OVA, and in the meantime maybe I can check out some other mecha shows? I've basically just seen the Gainax ones (Eva, TTGL, Gunbuster and Diebuster). I hear Turn A Gundam and Giant Robo are good, should I start with one of those?

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 15, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'd add Zeta Gundam, G Gundam, and Big O to the list as well.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Mentat Radnor posted:

The most glaring hole in my own list of watched anime is the mecha genre, but Patlabor has reminded me that the cast is what makes a show enjoyable to watch, not the genre. I'll be looking forward to the OVA, and in the meantime maybe I can check out some other mecha shows? I've basically just seen the Gainax ones (Eva, TTGL, Gunbuster and Diebuster). I hear Turn A Gundam and Giant Robo are good, should I start with one of those?

Those are both quite good, though Giant Robo isn't really mecha, it's more martial arts action. I prefer Turn A, which is a very chill take on Gundam, though it's much longer. Droyer and especially the mod love GR though.

e: yeah, Big O is also a very good choice, if you haven't seen that. Hard to go wrong with anime batman with a mecha and a totally-not-Queen OP.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Cool, thanks guys. I have seen some of Big O, but just random dubbed episodes when it was on American TV years ago. It seemed pretty good though. Maybe I'll watch the first couple episodes of each of these and see what draws me in the most, and sorry for hijacking the Patlabor thread for other recommendations!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Oh, and if you're a dub-liker, the Big O dub is really solid. It's general quality + nostalgia together mean that jp audio just doesn't sound right to me.

e: man, noted mecha-hater Droyer's gonna be pissed that we hijacked his simul thread for general mecha recommendations.

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 15, 2016

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Mentat Radnor posted:

Cool, thanks guys. I have seen some of Big O, but just random dubbed episodes when it was on American TV years ago. It seemed pretty good though. Maybe I'll watch the first couple episodes of each of these and see what draws me in the most, and sorry for hijacking the Patlabor thread for other recommendations!

It's not really a mecha show as much as a show that occasionally has robots in it, but you should check out concrete revolutio. Best show of the year so far imo, and I'm sad so few people watched it.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Oh, and if you're a dub-liker, the Big O dub is really solid. It's general quality + nostalgia together mean that jp audio just doesn't sound right to me.

e: man, noted mecha-hater Droyer's gonna be pissed that we hijacked his simul thread for general mecha recommendations.

I'm furious.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I fell super behind the simul within a week of it beginning but I swear to god I am still watching this show.

Episode 26 was good :negative:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

We are getting back to the Monogatari simulwatch sometime soon, right?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Grouchio posted:

We are getting back to the Monogatari simulwatch sometime soon, right?

You do realize it's incredibly rude to ask that in here right?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Droyer posted:

You do realize it's incredibly rude to ask that in here right?
I did not sorry.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Just finished the series. Man, what an enjoyable show. I thought the first two movies were pretty awesome, but the TV series was awesome in a very different way. I like that police mecha action is what got me sucked into the movies, but I stuck around for the likeable cast throughout the TV series. Also, I find it pretty hilarious how Goto isn't portrayed too differently between the two: he's smarter than he lets on in both the movies and the TV series, but it's only really in the TV series where you get his A+ sense of humor.

Goto rules, Patlabor rules, I'm ready as hell for the OVAs.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
OVAs reencoding, I'll upload them to drive later today, then we'll be ready for some patlaboring!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: The simulwatch starts up again tomorrow! Don't miss it :siren:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

We streaming the OVAs?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
We are! In an hour in the same place.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

OVA episode 1: The Griffin's back, and it's stronger than ever! And what better way to demonstrate that than to have it make complete fools out of the new Peacemakers? A very dramatic way for the OVA to start, and a very good job at reintroducing a "defeated" villain.

OVA episode 2: This episode is very much about setting up the pieces for the coming showdown, and it does it very well. There is some new information to be learned though: There is some friction in Utsumi's team, with Bud taking unnecessary risks and Kurosaki attaching an unknown device on the Griffin. We also learn Utsumi and Kumagami used to be a couple, something that has only been hinted at before this.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Just as a fun fact: when these OVAs were originally released they alternated between serious episodes and comedy episodes, but when they rereleased them on DVD/bluray they changed the order so that the entire Griffin arc was one chunk. In other words, episode 2 was originally episode 3, and the first one was originally episode 5 etc. Because of this they're going to go back and forth with ops later on.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It's hosed up that they'd do that. There's cool stuff happening, and I'd hate to have it split like that.

No stream tonight folks, sorry (though I suppose if someone else wants to run it I can give links to the video files)!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

It's hosed up that they'd do that. There's cool stuff happening, and I'd hate to have it split like that.

No stream tonight folks, sorry (though I suppose if someone else wants to run it I can give links to the video files)!

I could probably do it. Setting up a synchtube isn't a big deal, is it?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

I could probably do it. Setting up a synchtube isn't a big deal, is it?

Not at all. Gotta use cytu.be right now, though, for google Drive reasons. I think posting the links here would be :filez:, so email me at my user name at gmail and I'll send them your way.

e: no underscore

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Not at all. Gotta use cytu.be right now, though, for google Drive reasons. I think posting the links here would be :filez:, so email me at my user name at gmail and I'll send them your way.

e: no underscore

Sent.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

The OVA started off with some strong action and the continuation of the largest loose thread from the TV show. Tonight's episodes should be a pretty exciting continuation of that story! I'm starting now.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Alrighty Patofans, I will be taking over streaming duty tonight. Join me at the usual time at https://cytu.be/r/SuperAnimeWarsZeto!

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

So far: Ota destroys public infrastructure, and Bud fights dirty! Kanuka comes to save the day.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

drat that was a good finale to the Griffin arc. The scene in the laundry room with Utsumi and Kumagami had me baffled until he turned out to be exactly the type of rude dude I expected. I'm glad she's finally done with his bullshit. This episode had some of the best labor fighting yet, I love those judo throws.

I just realized I watched everything an hour early, oops!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mentat Radnor posted:

This episode had some of the best labor fighting yet, I love those judo throws.

Noa's Ultimate Secrete Technique gets a 10/10 as far as I'm concerned. That was a lot of fun - I don't think Bud even knew which way was up when she was through with him.

Patlabor's always been well directed, of course, but these episodes were especially on point. Utsumi and Kumagami's confrontation was very tense and moody - until, of course, it wasn't - and the Griffin fight was every bit as harrowing as the last time.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

OVA episode 3: Finally, the decisive battle begins! Of course, Ota gets taken out immediately, which I think is good, for thematic reasons. The Griffin is Noa's opponent first and foremost, it represents the one adversary she was unable to best in the past, so it is only appropriate that the victory is wholly hers. This episode is quite good, but ultimately it's still setup to the big finale.

OVA episode 4: This episode is abolutely everything I wanted it to be. The action is amazing, the showdown between Kumagami and Utsumi is tense, and the peppering of humor throughout is fantastic. It's also incredibly satisfying to see Utsumi completely lose his composure for the first and only time when he realizes Kumagami is hot on his trail. Another thing I want to point out is how this episode illustrates how Momoko has changed: during the first Griffin arc she and her crew were a minor annoyance, getting in the way of the SV2. This time she is actively helpful and even passes up the more sensational fight in order to acquire evidence of the arms dealers. A great finale to this arc that's spanned the whole series, and with the Griffin finally detroyed it is at last over for good.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I enjoy momoko being one of the first sorta big roles for Megumi Hayashibara. Not yet Lina Inverse, but soon...

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
No stream tonight.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

These were some fine comedy episodes, especially the TV studio one!

http://i.imgur.com/9jX0OpX.gifv

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
stream_tonight=TRUE

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 4, 2016

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

OVA episode 5 & 6: These 2 episodes are probably the nadir of the OVA for me. Not that i dislike them, I think they're perfectly fine comedy episodes, but they don't really do much to stand out from the rest of the comedy episodes the show has had. With that said, I really enjoyed Noa completely ruining that Labor in episode 5, and the ending to episode 6 was sweet.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I'm still catching but episodes 1-4 were really good, I enjoyed serious Patlabor hour. Really liked Momoko getting to do things that weren't as goofy, the Kumagami/Utsumi scene was pretty great too

A fine wrap-up(?) for the Griffin stuff :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fun episodes tonight. Not quite Peak Silly Patlabor, but pretty close to it. Both Patlabor's Big Gay Bath Adventure and The Mechanical Bonfire Of The Vanities were delightfully absurd in premise and execution.

• Locked thread