Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senior Management

Many years from now you will remember that you got to see cool places and not so much the train being uncomfortable.

:jerry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furia

hey Shakill, I'm not some world trotting adventurer, but if you don't have a thick loose jacket (green or brown) and a thins sports sweater, money allowing, you should get both. this works in my experience:

the jacket, counterintuitively, will keep you cold in the sun by keeping the rays of the sun away from your skin while the loose fit allows air flow and the somewhat "light" colour will reduce the amount of heat absorbed by the fabric.

sports sweaters are often good at retaining heat, and are thin enough to fold into your backpack. during cold nights you can wear it under the jacket everything zipped up tight to keep you comfortable. see if you find it with sleeve thumb holes for maximum coverage

when sleeping, the most important part is keeping your neck and back in check. if you have small sleeping quarters, ditch the pillow and try to keep your head and back flat against the sleeping surface and tuck your hands into your armpits (kinda tight, but not enough to make you uncomfortable), legs come second and you can keep them up or fold them or whatever you need. if necessary, and if you don't find it icky, sleep on the floor. unless you have a back or neck condition, the bed is only as comfortable as the person that lays on it.

not the best thing in the world, but hope it helps.

you just have to believe in yourself, there's a little skeleton inside of us all

Piso Mojado

Furia posted:

hey excuse me hi

I know I'm not very popular and don"t have many (if any) friends here, and I'm sure you get this all the time but might as well say it again

smoking is bad and you should quit (except weed)

I don't mean to pry or be rude or anything, but I just feel the need to say it to people. so I'm sorry if I insulted you or offended you in any way

As a former smoker, I found it very condescending to be lectured about the health effects of smoking. I knew the effects, hell I lived them. It's an addiction. I quit smoking 6 years ago and I still want a cigarette every time they are even mentioned. people with addictions dont need to be reminded that it's bad. They need to be reminded that there are things out there worth quitting for.

Piso Mojado

also I like you furia, we are def friends. idg why you think we arent you jerk.

Piso Mojado

shaquil, I'm glad you are safe. take care of yourself. and at least you made it farther than the walk across america goon

deep dish peat moss

I'm in Portland staying with a friend and his wife right now and I go to Seattle tomorrow then glacier national park in Sunday. I forgot weed is legal in Oregon now too

Piso Mojado

Glacier is loving rad. I toured it on bike in '08 - it was an awesome experience.

deep dish peat moss

My plan was to just walk around Portland today but of course it's raining :(

Senior Management

you have made it far friend. I believe in you.

deep dish peat moss

I've been lost in Powell's for like two hours, someone send a rescue party

Furia

Piso Mojado posted:

As a former smoker, I found it very condescending to be lectured about the health effects of smoking. I knew the effects, hell I lived them. It's an addiction. I quit smoking 6 years ago and I still want a cigarette every time they are even mentioned. people with addictions dont need to be reminded that it's bad. They need to be reminded that there are things out there worth quitting for.

sorry, really didn't mean to be rude

also, glad to hear we're buddies :yayclod:

you just have to believe in yourself, there's a little skeleton inside of us all

deep dish peat moss

I'm going to pass on Glacier because drat, I'm just exhausted and ready to go home and write my book. I've experienced more in the last week than I have in the last decade and accomplished what I wanted. Going to fly home from Seattle tomorrow, or maaaaaybe go out to Colorado to visit another friend but that's just more time on the train and I don't like that.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
have you tried nicotine gum? its helped me quit several times and was actually harder to quit than cigarettes themselves but it could give you a good option for when you're confined to a train car between cig stops.

also: have you at least met any interesting people on the train yet?

Furia

what's your book gonna be about?

Senior Management

Furia posted:

what's your book gonna be about?

Being trapped on a hell train I would guess. Gonna be the new fantasy thriller.

deep dish peat moss

Smoking on the train isn't what makes me hate it so much, I got over that after a couple days. I don't find it comfortable, I didn't pack right (it's freezing and the blankets they sell on the train are bad) and I just don't find it an enjoyable travel experience, I feel like I could get just as much of a feel for a place by looking at pictures as I can on the train.

Like 95% of my fellow passengers were loud, conservative middle-aged or elderly women who complained a lot and kept asking the conductors irritating questions (like calling them over and talking over the announcement about the dinner menu and price to ask what the dinner menu and price of dinner are, then complaining about the constant announcements). I did meet some cool people though and had some of the most profound discussions about life I've ever had. I met them at the smoke stops rather than on the train itself.

There were a lot of funny moments, humorous characters like the Santa Claus looking guy with tourettes whose tic was making fart noises with his mouth, life-affirming revelations and lessons learned. I read some cool books and learned a lot about myself and what it means to find your place in the world. I want to write a fictionalized retelling of the story and the events that lead up to it :shrug:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 22, 2016

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
Don't talk about your book or you'll never write it.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

deep dish peat moss

Yeah I've refused to tell anyone anything about it. I know that trick!!

deep dish peat moss

One of the books I read was Although Of Course You End Up Becoming Yourself which is like a memoir of a road trip with David Foster Wallace and it put me in the right place for writing.

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
That's the one they made into the movie recently, isn't it?

----------------

deep dish peat moss

I didn't know that but yeah,it's called The End of the Tour. I'll have to check it out when I get home.

deep dish peat moss

Jason Segel was a really good choice to play DFW but in the trailer it sounds like he forgot the drawl

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 23, 2016

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

didn't read this thread, but yo, I keep reading 'get off on a train' and it's making me upset.

Thunder Moose

S.J.C.
Trains are good and fun.

Amtrak personnel not withstanding.

(They are literally Hitler)

FilthIncarnate

Weird owl has life all figured out
Greetings BYOB

I have returned after a long absence.

Mr. Shakille, it was my understanding that I would be offering you hospitality on the easternly leg of your journey, sometime in August; has this situation changed?

The guest couch is prepared.

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

FilthIncarnate posted:

Greetings BYOB

Mr. Shakille, it was my understanding that I would be offering you hospitality on the easternly leg of your journey, sometime in August; has this situation changed?

Shakill, I can't believe you passed this up.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
zyla and i were going to show him a good time like only true massholes can

FluffieDuckie

hell i'm going to get on a train and finish this trip for him

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

FluffieDuckie

by "train" i mean "airplane"

deep dish peat moss

Yeah I got off the train and flew to my home state and I'm adventuring here. If anyone wants to travel with my ID and pretend to be me for the remaining 5 train rides be my guest, you can have them

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
if you're still up for adventuring I'm putting together a party to go into the lost caves of tjocanth

deep dish peat moss

Count me in, I want either one half of the loot or all of the reputation points.

Robot Made of Meat

FilthIncarnate posted:

Greetings BYOB

WB Filth! We've missed you!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Robot Made of Meat

Shakill OReal posted:

Yeah I got off the train and flew to my home state and I'm adventuring here. If anyone wants to travel with my ID and pretend to be me for the remaining 5 train rides be my guest, you can have them

If only I could, I'd love the hell out of it!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

bean mom

has op gotten the train off yet or is it some kind of weird orgasm denial thing.

let that poor chu chu CHUUUU already

----------------

FluffieDuckie

Zyla posted:

has op gotten the train off yet or is it some kind of weird orgasm denial thing.

let that poor chu chu CHUUUU already

Shakill OReal posted:

Yeah I got off the train

imo this thread is as dead as shakill's travel plans. if anyone disagrees feel free to speak up

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

FluffieDuckie posted:

imo this thread is as dead as shakill's travel plans. if anyone disagrees feel free to speak up

i think its another byob success story and the book can now be closed with a satisfying end that had a m night shayamalan like twist

Bacon Taco

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN

Shakill OReal posted:

So far I drove from Phoenix arizona to payson arizona then spent the day up there (that's the cabin in the pics), then missed a turn to Flagstaff and found a weird part of Arizona I hadn't seen before, stood on a corner in Winslow Arizona

Real talk, I stood on a corner in Winslow, Arizona once. I was a fine sight to see, I am sure. While a couple of trucks did in fact pass me, absolutely nothing else happened for the 10 minutes or so that I stood there. Don Henley's experience was not representative.

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

I don't know how you could be on a train for 10 days and still be grumpy, like the thread tag indicates would be the current mood by the duck's description, but that has got to be some sort of record.

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthIncarnate

Weird owl has life all figured out
I am somewhat disappointed to learn this; I had prepared to receive you as an itinerant artist, and hoped you might stay for a few days.

I am glad, however, that you feel your journey made a satisfactory conclusion.

• Locked thread