Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 237 days!

DrManiac posted:

Radiant Historia owned. Too bad it's hard to find a copy now. I would jump a enhanced port on the 3ds

If anything, I should keep a closer eye on Atlus releases to make sure I don't miss a good one. Very glad I nabbed this one while I had the chance.

I'd replay the hell out of a Steam release of the game, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Does wherever you live not have Amazon? It's always in stock: https://www.amazon.com/Radiant-Historia-Nintendo-DS/dp/B004CVWETI

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Yeah, this game is really easy. Ever since I made a few techs for Nidr, I've been cruising through every random battle with Cross Cut and every boss battle with Blow Beat. The Time Golem in Kir's village took over 600 damage from Blow Beat and then got stunned, paralyzed, confused, and had its attack and defense dropped.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I love games with powerful team attacks.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I have no idea why, but I was always under the assumption this was $15, probably solely on being a digital only release. That was foolish of me. Sad that it ended up being mediocre. I'll wait for a sale to get it.

Seconding Radiant Historia. I impulse bought it a few years ago not knowing anything about it and I real quickly found out it was the spiritual successor to Chrono Trigger.

quaunaut posted:

Can't use an Xbox One controller, game doesn't recognize it. And none of the keys for keyboard make sense, so you just get to flail around.

If that's the case, then it would be just like my first experience with Chrono Trigger on an SNES Emulator in 2001! :v:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm about 2 hours in, just about to enter Kir's village..

So far the only thing I'd say is much like Chrono Trigger is the battle system. The plot is very much FFX. I don't really have any complaints so far about the story, though.

I like the Spiritite system, though I wish it was better at flagging out double techs. Selling monster drops that you get by fighting different ways to get cash and points towards new skills is a neat progression mechanic.

So basically it's FFX's story, FF7's ability system, and Chrono Trigger's combat. I can think of worse mashups and I'm glad it's not a billion hours. I'm also digging the soundtrack and the visual aesthetic so far.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I guess I'm missing out on a ton of techs or something because I just beat the Kir village boss and just had standard double mages+aura healing. Not anywhere close to 600 damage.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

why can't i set up/down/left/right as up/down/left/right this is loving infuriating

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm really liking this game so far.

The Chrono Trigger comparisons are doing it no favors and absolutely got people's expectations high for something that I Am Setsuna really is not. It's a competently-executed throwback-style JRPG with a couple of neat ideas--I like the momentum system, and while I know it's been in other RPGs like Etrian Odyssey, I like the "enemies drop different things depending on how you kill them" thing any time it shows up. Its writing isn't sterling and the plot isn't going to surprise and thrill you but I'm kind of okay with that here.

I know a lot of people have recommended playing "literally any other JRPG" over an intentional throwback but I can't really get behind that argument, at least not from where I am. Setsuna does a lot of non-game-mechanic things right that a lot of other recent JRPGs don't--atmosphere and presentation are key among those and are important for a game like this--and that makes it click with me. It's got a relaxing atmosphere, it doesn't have the off-putting aspects to its presentation that I think games like Neptunia have, and it's pretty well polished (at least on PS4--I can't speak for the PC version).

It could also just have come at the right time for me, though. I've been on a pretty heavy JRPG kick these days and it's kind of nice to get to play what essentially feels like a well-made SNES JRPG that I haven't actually already played.

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
I am still confused over the Flux or spritenites mechanics. After a battle, sometimes it I get to choose Off or On, is this a mis-translation? Is there ever a reason to not add the flux ( choosing off) to my talisman or whatever

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I think (think) that you get a flux added to your spritnite based off of the bonus of your equipped talisman. I think (think) you get a finite number per spritnite, so they give you the option to refuse one and defer to a different bonus from later equipment. This is all inference, as the game ain't telling me poo poo.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Harrow posted:

Setsuna does a lot of non-game-mechanic things right that a lot of other recent JRPGs don't--atmosphere and presentation are key among those and are important for a game like this--and that makes it click with me. It's got a relaxing atmosphere, it doesn't have the off-putting aspects to its presentation that I think games like Neptunia have, and it's pretty well polished (at least on PS4--I can't speak for the PC version).

Nah, when I got off of Nive Island and saw some mountains on the world map I was like 'holy poo poo this world map.' While it is ape-ing a little to much from Chrono Trigger for my tastes (the clumsiest is that dang unsheathing/sheathing animation sound, there's a reason it was a really quick ping in Trigger!) it definitely has a style and background all of it's own.

And that style and background are super neat.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I accidentally closed the game while giving my spiritnite custom glamor names and lost an hour of progress. Not used to games that don't have autosave. :suicide:

I had gotten a bunch of mats I wouldn't have had access to yet too because I got a battle effect that gave my physical attacks bonus elemental damage of every type.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 23, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Tae posted:

I guess I'm missing out on a ton of techs or something because I just beat the Kir village boss and just had standard double mages+aura healing. Not anywhere close to 600 damage.

Mages are traps, go for maximum swords -- Endir and Nidr get great dual-techs (X-Strike but better, and the aforementioned super nuke) literally the shop after he joins. Have Aeterna drop buffs on the party and use items. Or really, stick whoever in there. You only need two party slots to break the game over your knee.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
How does the experience drop off for characters not in party? I did some rough math (3 beers deep, so maybe loving useless) as I did a few battles and it seems like those not in party get notably less EXP.

I have found that (at least early, ~lv20) that a party of Aeterna, Endir, and Nidr just wreck shop and that trying to use Setsuna or Kir for general mob stomping as I move around just takes a lot longer. But I did this for a while and someone was lv21 and Setsuna was still 15, so I started rotating them in. This feels really grindy and like something I wouldn't have minded at 15 on a 3 month summer break but as an adult a little annoying.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pretend to care posted:

How does the experience drop off for characters not in party? I did some rough math (3 beers deep, so maybe loving useless) as I did a few battles and it seems like those not in party get notably less EXP.

I have found that (at least early, ~lv20) that a party of Aeterna, Endir, and Nidr just wreck shop and that trying to use Setsuna or Kir for general mob stomping as I move around just takes a lot longer. But I did this for a while and someone was lv21 and Setsuna was still 15, so I started rotating them in. This feels really grindy and like something I wouldn't have minded at 15 on a 3 month summer break but as an adult a little annoying.

Characters gain levels absurdly quickly once you swap them in and Endir and Nidr can oneshot mobs on their own so whoever is #3 will rocket up in levels quickly.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

DrManiac posted:

Radiant Historia owned. Too bad it's hard to find a copy now. I would jump a enhanced port on the 3ds

Based on the hype for it in this thread I just bought it on Amazon for $22. I'd never heard of it before but it sounds like it is exactly my poo poo.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
I'm enjoying it. It's nice to sit back in the living room and just sorta casually play something. It really does feel like an escape, whereas other RPGs (of any origin) can frequently feel like a chore.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Can someone go over the battle mechanics? Specifically momentum, fluxes and singularities? I have no idea what any of these things do or how they work. No manual anywhere!

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

MrMidnight posted:

Can someone go over the battle mechanics? Specifically momentum, fluxes and singularities? I have no idea what any of these things do or how they work. No manual anywhere!

The best that can be said is what you've already experienced. Sometimes they happen. It's a cool idea but in truth it's not important enough to care about because the game is piss easy all the way to the end.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MrMidnight posted:

Momentum: It's that blue orb in each character's stat block in combat. It fills up when you do things in combat, take damage, or if you just sit and wait after your ATB is full. When there's a little sparkle on top, you'll see a little blue flash and hear a "ding" sound whenever you attack or use a tech. When that happens, you can press Square/X (depending on your controller), with some pretty generous timing, to add an extra effect to your action in exchange for spending that point of momentum. It's usually things like extra damage or making support spells AoE or have a longer duration. They're like timed hits in Mario RPGs or Squall's gunblade trigger in FF8. Momentum is good and you should always try to have and use it as much as possible.

Singularities: The more momentum you use in a fight, the higher the chance a random "singularity" will occur. They're basically time-limited buffs to your whole party.

Fluxes: When you use your special techs with momentum in combat, there's a chance that one of the "flux bonuses" from your equipped talisman will apply to that tech. After the battle, you'll get the option to leave that flux bonus (which could be like "Tech Power" or "ATB Bonus" or stuff like that) on or off--there's a limited number of flux bonuses you can have on each tech, so eventually you might have to turn some off to get new ones. They're basically permanent modifiers to what that tech does. This is why people generally like talismans with only one flux bonus, because that way you know what you're going to get whenever it triggers. In general, though, none of them are noticeable or important enough to matter that much, so just go with the flow on these. The game isn't nearly demanding enough for flux bonuses to really matter.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 28, 2016

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I'm probably 10 hours in the game, my steam time says more cause I pause and walk away a lot, and it's not bad. 29.99 would be a much better price than 39.99, but whatever. I feel like I could be 80% through the game, but it could easily be about the halfway point if there's a twist. Plot spoilers for my current location: In the Fridge Cave or whatever, just fought a boss that seems to be causing the very casually mentioned as if everyone should know about them Spatial Distortions. The game seems to be implying that the Last Land is just ahead. With the fact that everything in this game has been trivial until this boss, who can wipe out Setsuna in one hit I could see this being the final boss if this game decides to be terrible.

Anyway, the balance in this game is stupid. Using a party of your warrior type characters makes the game easy mode, the boss I'm having trouble with I know will be cake on my second attempt, because I'll just take out the mage in my party. There's absolutely no point to having a mage in the party, except to handicap yourself. Aeterna is the closest thing you need to a mage, and she's perfectly excellent as a fighter as well as casting buffs. All the characters can heal, some just need to use momentum to do it. This makes Setsuna (the healer) completely pointless, as she doesn't do much damage and can only cast a bit of offensive magic. Your main character, Endir, is amazing at everything. His heal is better than the healer's (it has a wider area of effect and can cure status effects with momentum), can do amazing single target or AoE damage, does great non-elemental magic damage.

Putting a mage in your party means they'll die in two or three hits, so as soon as they take damage you get to make sure you spend someone's turn healing them. Their offensive or support capabilities do not make up for this, as even the dedicated DPS mage doesn't do double the damage of a physical fighter. Using physical techs they'll be around the same damage.

Also most of the tool-tips for attacks are broken and say things like "this skill does physical damage [null%] to enemies near target" which is hilarious to me.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Once you get Luminaire you're gonna wanna put Setsuna back in so you can one-shot triple-combo every trash fight until the end of time. Put on the support ability that recovers MP on enemy kill and the pain train never stops.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Harrow posted:

It's a competently-executed throwback-style JRPG with a couple of neat ideas
So was Chrono Trigger. CT is my favorite game of all time, but it was a fun and clever refinement of established RPG mechanics, not an innovative game. I haven't played Setsuna, but anything inspired by Chrono Trigger is just going to be repeating 20-year-old mechanics.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

So was Chrono Trigger. CT is my favorite game of all time, but it was a fun and clever refinement of established RPG mechanics, not an innovative game. I haven't played Setsuna, but anything inspired by Chrono Trigger is just going to be repeating 20-year-old mechanics.

Yeah, I've reversed pretty hard since I posted that, mostly because I went back and replayed the first third or so of Chrono Trigger. The most stark difference is just how much personality Chrono Trigger has in everything that it does. Even the random encounters have personality--enemies jump down the stairs to fight you, or spin or dance onto the screen, enemies have big and energetic animations, all of that. Setsuna is devoid of that personality and that sucks a lot of the fun out of it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

FactsAreUseless posted:

There's one innovation CT made that Setsuna hasn't: replayability. I know I'm going to go back and scratch my CT itch one day.
Setsuna I don't see much replay value aside from flux tweaking and even that is superfluous.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I've reversed pretty hard since I posted that, mostly because I went back and replayed the first third or so of Chrono Trigger. The most stark difference is just how much personality Chrono Trigger has in everything that it does. Even the random encounters have personality--enemies jump down the stairs to fight you, or spin or dance onto the screen, enemies have big and energetic animations, all of that. Setsuna is devoid of that personality and that sucks a lot of the fun out of it.
Yeah, Chrono Trigger is really, really good at what it does. It strips away everything extraneous and it means that, right up until the end, it's a very focused and fast-moving game. It might not have the depth of something like FF6, but it's undeniably an incredible, memorable, and above all fun game.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

After finishing Setsuna I immediately decided I'd play Chrono Trigger next, after I finish my FF6 Brave New World game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Crimson Harvest posted:

After finishing Setsuna I immediately decided I'd play Chrono Trigger next, after I finish my FF6 Brave New World game.
Is that mod good? I heard mixed things about its difficulty changes, along with the fact that the creator is insane. And this is from a guy that looks at clop!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Someone's going to try and troll me with that, but it's a joke about the BNW guy so don't even try it, pal. No siree.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I liked BNW at first but after a while every encounter (and boss) was just a huge goddamn sack of HP and it got less and less fun.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I saw this on steam and for 40 bucks I was expecting a lot more than this. Even attempting to compare anything to Chrono Trigger is a poor idea; just too much nostalgia involved.

Bland generic lifeless environment.

Now compare it to the real thing and that's not even a remotely good sample of the quality of art in chrono trigger itself.

On the plus side I'm inspired to replay Chrono Trigger.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I liked BNW at first but after a while every encounter (and boss) was just a huge goddamn sack of HP and it got less and less fun.

This is somewhat accurate, the intention is that enemies have actual weaknesses, attack patterns, and responses or counters to stuff. So you have to bring the right tools or fights take a while. Still, I like it because it makes each character's gimmick fun or at least interesting.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

DropsySufferer posted:

Do it, the whole thing is like 6-8 hours start to finish. 12 if you play really, really slowly and talk to every NPC.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The DS version has some nice stuff - the music is great and you can take the menus off the battle screen - and a pretty solid translation (doesn't have Woolsey's charm, but battle and item translations are way better, as is the Kingdom of Zeal), as long as you ignore all the extra content. The extra content is really bad.

It's honestly worth playing just because the DS has really good versions of all the music, thanks to the more powerful sound hardware.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My last 100% playthrough on the DS version is like 26 hours on the save file I think but I have no idea how much of that time was just me dicking around. I did skip all the new DS stuff though, none of it seemed fun.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

DropsySufferer posted:

I saw this on steam and for 40 bucks I was expecting a lot more than this. Even attempting to compare anything to Chrono Trigger is a poor idea; just too much nostalgia involved.

Bland generic lifeless environment.

Now compare it to the real thing and that's not even a remotely good sample of the quality of art in chrono trigger itself.

A better comparison would be to the ice age of 16k BC. Setsuna's world map is pretty sweet in it's details (look at the mountains and trees as you move around, it's pretty nice.)

Not worth 40 bucks though. 30 maybe.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Setsuna's problem is that it does have some very nice detail, especially with the way the snow hangs on trees or leaves paths behind you.

Except that's all it has. Every area is basically identical so once you've seen that cool bit in the first part of the game you've seen the entirety of its neat detail.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

What the hell Facts, it takes me like 6 hours just to get to Magus's Castle.

I will say Chrono Trigger is very refreshing in its ~15 hours because it does what it needs to and then ties a bow on it. No loving fluff to be found.

Oh right, and it has like 15 endings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

Played it for about 4-5 hours before giving up. The setting and characters are bland and forgettable. The soundtrack being almost entirely piano does not work for me at all. Enemy encounters are way too easy. The talisman/flux system makes such a small difference towards skills that are already overpowered. I don't think there's really any area of this game that hit the mark. If you're really curious about the game, watch a Let's Play or something and save yourself the $40. I can't recommend this game to anyone.

• Locked thread