Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
If they ever did a sequel to Moana, even a short like Frozen fever, it would be amusing if they needed to return to the World of Monsters only for Maui to be largely ignored and everyone being more curious about the human girl who managed to restore Tafiti, largely because as far as they know Maui last got his rear end kicked by a hermit crab just before Moana maneuvered past a lava monster and plugged the rock back in, plus her supernatural affinity with the ocean, Maui may be physically stronger but she's more of a threat. She didn't need a magical fishhook to help.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Dec 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Kurzon posted:

If I had written it, Te Fiti would have given him a new artifact, say a magic spear, that had similar powers. It shows that while things can be healed they're never quite the same as before.

One other option is Maui gets a new hook, with an emphasis on new. His old hook was covered in carvings, and on the tip was the very simple carving that looked like the very simple tattoo the one villager was getting. If Maui got a new hook with only the simple fish carving it would imply he needs *adventures* to get more carvings.

There could be a weekly animated show of Maui Adventures. They brought back Duck Tales, it could work.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
If nothing else Shiny has me convinced that the world desperately needs a musical Shadow of the Colossus boss battle game where you climb on increasingly flamboyant monsters and attempt to slay them while they sing to you. C'mon Disney give us the Maui god of war game everybody deserves.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Bert of the Forest posted:

If nothing else Shiny has me convinced that the world desperately needs a musical Shadow of the Colossus boss battle game where you climb on increasingly flamboyant monsters and attempt to slay them while they sing to you. C'mon Disney give us the Maui god of war game everybody deserves.

Only if there is a sidescrolling platforming section where your having to jump on the lyrics to get to the other side of the arena - the trick is you need to keep the tempo - now you are the bouncing ball :3:

Edit: One of the bonus bosses is a previous character who has made themselves enormous through some sort of magical 'mech' but with no consistent visual thesis. Tamatoa helps you defeat him out of principle - with Maui's tattoos and Tamatoa's shiny shell they each have a consistent theme to their thing. This guy however, is just a mess, and not visually appealing at all and Tamatoa just hates that.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Dec 24, 2016

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

BioEnchanted posted:

Only if there is a sidescrolling platforming section where your having to jump on the lyrics to get to the other side of the arena - the trick is you need to keep the tempo - now you are the bouncing ball :3:

That is god drat genius.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Dec 24, 2016

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

BioEnchanted posted:

Edit: One of the bonus bosses is a previous character who has made themselves enormous through some sort of magical 'mech' but with no consistent visual thesis. Tamatoa helps you defeat him out of principle - with Maui's tattoos and Tamatoa's shiny shell they each have a consistent theme to their thing. This guy however, is just a mess, and not visually appealing at all and Tamatoa just hates that.

It would be neat if, after beating Tamatoa, he became an Issun-like (think Okami) companion. Who hangs around not really helping out but just complaining about and criticizing/critiquing the increasingly garish monsters. At first, it's mosly fun. He likes what these bosses are doing with themselves but they could use some work/refining. But as the bosses start getting ludicrously over designed and Final Fantasyesque, with like loving chandeliers hanging off them and poo poo, Tamatoa grows increasingly offended with each encounter. Until one monster design just goes too far and he joins in the fight out of principle. (Like suggested in Bio's quoted post.)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Jenner posted:

It would be neat if, after beating Tamatoa, he became an Issun-like (think Okami) companion. Who hangs around not really helping out but just complaining about and criticizing/critiquing the increasingly garish monsters. At first, it's mosly fun. He likes what these bosses are doing with themselves but they could use some work/refining. But as the bosses start getting ludicrously over designed and Final Fantasyesque, with like loving chandeliers hanging off them and poo poo, Tamatoa grows increasingly offended with each encounter. Until one monster design just goes too far and he joins in the fight out of principle. (Like suggested in Bio's quoted post.)

Step further - giving advice in the earlier fights by talking directly to the bosses about their design- "The floral motif is fascinating, but imagine just how... flammable that getup must be..."

"I like the ornate gold leaf dude but you've left a massive flaw in your right armpit..."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Combine that with the "platforming as the bouncing ball that tells you when to sing the words" idea.

The challenge is initially impossible until Tamatoa takes issue with the song and remixes it into something more aesthetically pleasing--which coincidentally making the platforming much easier.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

PYF games that you are sad will never exist...

Edit: Sidequest idea - early in the game Tamatoa's shinies get stolen by a bigger monster in his sleep - sidequest: collect all his shinies - I have 2 alternate ways the quest could progress -

1) either you just get back what was stolen and the shell gradually fills in with decorations like the constellation map in Baten Kaitos or

2) you can potentially get more than he initially had, and they only assemble at the end at which point it branches - if you just got the basic stuff to complete the shell he just puts it back, if you get more, he finally sheds his old shell to grow a bigger one so he can fit all the new stuff on it.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Dec 24, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I think Tomatoa and Maui will buddy up for adventures in the straight to DVD sequel.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Panfilo posted:

I think Tomatoa and Maui will buddy up for adventures in the straight to DVD sequel.

That's a spicy meatball!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

PYF games that you are sad will never exist...
A Zootopia platformer. Infinity died before they could properly attempt it in there. :smith:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Shadow Hog posted:

A Zootopia platformer. Infinity died before they could properly attempt it in there. :smith:

I think you mean a GTA-style open world Zootopia game wth LA Noire-style investigations :colbert:

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Hedrigall posted:

I think you mean a GTA-style open world Zootopia game wth LA Noire-style investigations :colbert:

"They all just keep making the DreamWorks face. I can't read them, gently caress."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

You select the wrong option, accidentally press on a truthful statement and Nick has to hold Judy back as she goes on a deranged tirade about "YOU loving PREDATORS ARE ALWAYS LYING!" I think that's what happened in the movie - she selected the wrong dialog option and things went bad.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The Alessia Cara version of "How Far I'll Go" is like the most superfluous thing. It sounds like a generic cover that you can find a hundred of on YouTube. Cravalho or nothing :colbert:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
why is this movie so good

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

ungulateman posted:

why is this movie so good

:yeah:

I want to see it a second time while it's still in cinemas :h:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So many of the songs are up on Youtube now that it actually dulled my interest in reseeing the film because I liked those moments most. I appreciate Disney given me an out!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, but by listening to the songs online on repeat you only prime yourself to buy tickets to their eventual traveling musical version of the film.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.change.org/p/the-walt-disney-company-make-leia-an-official-disney-princess

Petition to make Leia an official Disney Princess.

She was namedropped in Once Upon A Time, so I think it's fair.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I wouldn't be surprised at all if a future Kingdom Hearts game has a Star Wars world

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If she doesnt have a musical film and sing a song shes not a disney Princess, sorry.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Barudak posted:

If she doesnt have a musical film and sing a song shes not a disney Princess, sorry.

Holiday special.

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Holiday special.

"Mom, what's wrong with Leia?"

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Ok, finally saw Moana, and while watching the two main characters interact was fun, I think my fav is little Heihei

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Tomatoa's entire sequence rocked my socks off.

Now my feet are cold.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

SocketWrench posted:

Ok, finally saw Moana, and while watching the two main characters interact was fun, I think my fav is little Heihei

I definitely related to Heihei the most out of all the characters

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Heihei is the best part of the movie IMO. You would think "stupid chicken" jokes would get old after a while but no, they do not.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Heihei is the best part of the movie IMO. You would think "stupid chicken" jokes would get old after a while but no, they do not.

I read somewhere that he wasn't originally supposed to be dumb, just like a regular chicken sidekick. Except it wasn't funny and nobody cared about Heihei and they were maybe gonna take him out of the movie until they said "What if we just make him really dumb?"

Bingo.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I personally thought they overused Heihei. Comic relief is fine but it felt like every 5 minutes they had to cut to it. That and the weird Fury Road coconut people scene were my only complaints of the film.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Apparently if you give a fertilized chicken egg a good shake every now and then you can have your very own Heihei!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Mahoning posted:

I read somewhere that he wasn't originally supposed to be dumb, just like a regular chicken sidekick. Except it wasn't funny and nobody cared about Heihei and they were maybe gonna take him out of the movie until they said "What if we just make him really dumb?"

Bingo.

I really appreciated that the cute sidekick pig was not actually the sidekick, and that the dumb chicken never did anything incredibly pivotal

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The kakamora were cool imo.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I loved the Kakamora. I wouldn't have minded if the entire film was just Moana and Maui meeting strange creatures from mythology.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Samuel Clemens posted:

I loved the Kakamora. I wouldn't have minded if the entire film was just Moana and Maui meeting strange creatures from mythology.

Absolutely. People keep complaining about "road trip movies" but my only problem with them tends to be that they don't have enough stops.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Samuel Clemens posted:

If they do some shorts or an animated series, this would be a good premise.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I don't know if we need another variant of Minions.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I love a million things about Moana and it's probably my favorite Disney movie ever now.

But I really like how it's like a bizarro-world Little Mermaid, even considering it had the same director team.

Gotta leave the ocean. Gotta get on that ocean.

Dumbass birds.

An eternal yin-yang of righteously ambitious daughters and understandably terrified dads.

A singing crab upstages everyone.

...man. If they crossed over, Ursula and Tamatoa would have a glam-off and the entire universe would collapse into a singularity of fabulousness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mazed posted:

...man. If they crossed over, Ursula and Tamatoa would have a glam-off and the entire universe would collapse into a singularity of fabulousness.

I wanna see this.

Ursula is one of my favorite Disney villains, and Poor Unfortunate Souls is easily top 5 villain songs as well.

• Locked thread