Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Pick posted:

Pocahontas: Not married, and without immediate prospects
DTV sequel pairs her with John Rolfe (though John Smith attempts to reignite the old flame at least once near the end). They aren't married by the credits, but it's implied they're going to settle together in Jamestown.

I only have the vaguest memories of Pocahontas 2, so I had to look all that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky

Shadow Hog posted:

DTV sequel pairs her with John Rolfe (though John Smith attempts to reignite the old flame at least once near the end). They aren't married by the credits, but it's implied they're going to settle together in Jamestown.

Not pictured: eventual death at 22 from unknown disease. :haw:

All joking aside, I'm really excited for this thread. I wasn't necessarily a huge tomboy as a kid, but I also really didn't care about princess movies that much at the time. I've actually come to enjoy princess movies much more as I got older, possibly because I was a chicken kid who was scared of the scary movies and then watched them again as an adult and learned that they were pretty darn cool. (The exact same reason why I hated and refused to watch Princess Bride for 20+ years until my husband made me repent and watch it again.) Rapunzel is probably my favorite princess.

I'm seriously looking forward to Moana.

E: Speaking of being scared by movies, I have actually not seen Little Mermaid since it first came out and I've been meaning to borrow it from a friend and see it again. I honestly remember nothing.

Alligator Pie fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 20, 2016

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's a bit weird that they're still referring to Elsa as a princess when she's crowned queen like 15 minutes into the movie

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Pick Pick Pick. There's no legal age in the ocean

Edit: FISH LAW

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Pick posted:

Sleeping Beauty: Not married in the course of the film

I was gonna say this is wrong since they get married at the end but then I remembered that that is what happens in the fairy tale (and Tchaikovsky's ballet, where 99% of the music came from) so unless Disney specifically states that Phillip and Aurora are still just betrothed I think it's fair to say they are married at the film's conclusion. Also taking into account that Stefan and Hubert talk about how when Aurora returns it's not only sweet 16 "hey Maleficent was wrong, you survived" birthday celebrations but also "that 3 year old that visited you when you were a couple days old is your hubby now, enjoy" celebrations.

Also as much as I love Sleeping Beauty (which will become more and more evident as this thread grows) I hated how inept the fairies made Phillip's efforts. They give him a sword and shield, he actually knows how to use them but they do all of the work for him, they turned loving arrows into flowers as he was bracing himself for impact, like what the gently caress. Also while Flora did enchant the sword to strike true someone still had to throw it so Phillip is still the de facto Mistress of Evil killer :colbert:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'm getting more of a paternal vibe from the ocean spirit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljik3zsGNF4

Qindarka
Nov 13, 2012
Sleeping Beauty is a strange film.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Why is Moses in Kingdom Hearts?

Qindarka
Nov 13, 2012
I've noticed that there have been 3 pairings of white males with non-white females:

John Smith-Pocahontas
Phoebus-Esmeralda
Milo-Kida

Yet none going the other direction.

Coincidence or not? I'd say not.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Das Boo posted:

Why is Moses in Kingdom Hearts?

Which character are you talking about?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Renoistic posted:

Which character are you talking about?

:itisasouthparkjoke:

Grogquock
May 2, 2009

Qindarka posted:

I've noticed that there have been 3 pairings of white males with non-white females:

John Smith-Pocahontas
Phoebus-Esmeralda
Milo-Kida

Though its not made expressly clear Prince Naveen might also be white. Though swarthy Mediterranean white and not "nordic" white like the others.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cheese Pain posted:

Or that Pocahontas means "Little Wanton". If you want to see a non-Disney film about Pocahontas The New World is really beautiful.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Kuzco is objectively the best Disney Princess

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Alhazred posted:

Or that Pocahontas means "Little Wanton". If you want to see a non-Disney film about Pocahontas The New World is really beautiful.

Thank you for the recommendation! I've never heard of that movie but it looks quite good. I'll check it out.

fatherboxx posted:

Kuzco is objectively the best Disney Princess

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. He is fabulous.

Qindarka
Nov 13, 2012
Well, it has been confirmed that there won't be any romance in Moana.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

No matter, people will ship her with Maui anyway, regardless of what state the characters end the film in.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Shadow Hog posted:

No matter, people will ship her with Maui anyway, regardless of what state the characters end the film in.

With Maui's canonical death, I assume.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Yoshi Jjang posted:

With Maui's canonical death, I assume.
I'm looking forward to Disney's take on vagina dentata.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Cheese Pain posted:

All joking aside, I'm really excited for this thread. I wasn't necessarily a huge tomboy as a kid, but I also really didn't care about princess movies that much at the time. I've actually come to enjoy princess movies much more as I got older, possibly because I was a chicken kid who was scared of the scary movies and then watched them again as an adult and learned that they were pretty darn cool. (The exact same reason why I hated and refused to watch Princess Bride for 20+ years until my husband made me repent and watch it again.) Rapunzel is probably my favorite princess.

I enjoy them as I've gotten older because I am now mature enough to acknowledge that I love a love story. Who knew! Also crushing cynicism is exhausting, and I feel too old for it now.

quote:

E: Speaking of being scared by movies, I have actually not seen Little Mermaid since it first came out and I've been meaning to borrow it from a friend and see it again. I honestly remember nothing.

My controversial opinion is that TLM... isn't that good. It's not terrible or anything, but even the animation (overall) is rather lackluster, and the backgrounds are lackluster. Even important shots, like establishing shots of castles and etc., are off in a way that Beauty and the Beast's (a mere 3 years later) are not.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Qindarka posted:

Well, it has been confirmed that there won't be any romance in Moana.

My goal was to donate a certain number of dollars proportional to my wrongness towards horseshoe crab conservation, I may do it in either fits and starts or a lump sum, but that's at least $15 wrong to the benefit of crabs.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I only saw Little Mermaid for the first time in the past 5 years or so, and it was...ok. Part of Your World is really great, as is Ursula's song. I've never liked Under the Sea so I might be underrating it a little, but everything after she turns human is just kinda bleh. Also it has a really bad message of "yeah your father's overprotective, so he should let you get married to the first guy you (a 16 year old girl) fall for."

It's mostly notable for just being so much better than the films immediately preceding it, and showing that Disney wasn't over the hump yet.

e: Like I'm not usually one for sad endings, but this would've been a much better ending to the film (with minor alterations like Sebastian not being there):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Keal_UfT6o

computer parts fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 23, 2016

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I can only conclude that Kida isn't in the Disney Princess lineup because she's the only one that made it all the way to queen.

Qindarka
Nov 13, 2012

computer parts posted:

Also it has a really bad message of "yeah your father's overprotective, so he should let you get married to the first guy you (a 16 year old girl) fall for."

It's mostly notable for just being so much better than the films immediately preceding it, and showing that Disney wasn't over the hump yet.

I think it might be a bit off putting now because she is only 16 and especially nowadays, 16 year olds are definitely regarded as still being children, but I think the film purports that she is on the threshold of adulthood and should be allowed to make her own choices.

As I've mentioned earlier, I'm sure she would be at least 18 if the film were to be released today. Would that make the message any more palatable?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Pick posted:

I enjoy them as I've gotten older because I am now mature enough to acknowledge that I love a love story. Who knew! Also crushing cynicism is exhausting, and I feel too old for it now.

My controversial opinion is that TLM... isn't that good. It's not terrible or anything, but even the animation (overall) is rather lackluster, and the backgrounds are lackluster. Even important shots, like establishing shots of castles and etc., are off in a way that Beauty and the Beast's (a mere 3 years later) are not.

I can kind of agree about The Little Mermaid, but on the other hand it has my favorite Disney villain so I guess that evens out

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Qindarka posted:

I think it might be a bit off putting now because she is only 16 and especially nowadays, 16 year olds are definitely regarded as still being children, but I think the film purports that she is on the threshold of adulthood and should be allowed to make her own choices.

As I've mentioned earlier, I'm sure she would be at least 18 if the film were to be released today. Would that make the message any more palatable?

That does work a little better (though the marriage stuff is still pretty bad). I guess I'm just projecting my wishes onto the movie because I feel like a "Midsummer Night's Dream" sort of plot works better for this story, where weird stuff happens but then things return to their natural order at the end. Though in fairness I also kinda want to keep the "Triton turning a new leaf" ending, just not with it immediately ending with wedding bells.

Thinking about it, maybe it really is just the wedding I don't care for. Triton zapping her with legs and then having her run off would've been an acceptable ending too.

Qindarka
Nov 13, 2012

computer parts posted:

That does work a little better (though the marriage stuff is still pretty bad). I guess I'm just projecting my wishes onto the movie because I feel like a "Midsummer Night's Dream" sort of plot works better for this story, where weird stuff happens but then things return to their natural order at the end. Though in fairness I also kinda want to keep the "Triton turning a new leaf" ending, just not with it immediately ending with wedding bells.

Thinking about it, maybe it really is just the wedding I don't care for. Triton zapping her with legs and then having her run off would've been an acceptable ending too.

Yeah, perhaps they'd do without the wedding too, Tangled style, if they made the movie today.

Then again, The Princess and the Frog, a modern film, did feature a very quick wedding.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Shadow Hog posted:

I actually did not remember this, because the only time I ever saw Pocahontas II was on its initial release in loving 1998, when I was at the birthday party of a kid named Richard. I gave him one of those tanks full of goo where you could place the submarine and the other marine crap in the goo wherever you wanted to make a sort of goo-scene. I think the one I gave him also had fake blood, like, for some sort of squid battle?

Benne posted:

It's a bit weird that they're still referring to Elsa as a princess when she's crowned queen like 15 minutes into the movie

Tangled also ends with a mention that she becomes Queen, although we don't see her coronation the same way we do for Elsa. (As someone later noted, Kida also becomes Queen.)

Macaluso posted:

Pick Pick Pick. There's no legal age in the ocean

Edit: FISH LAW

you son of a bleep bloop :argh:

Qindarka posted:

John Smith-Pocahontas
Phoebus-Esmeralda
Milo-Kida

Naveen was very, very intentionally "swarthy" so that he could be an "acceptable" prince for either Tiana or Charlotte. It's not clear exactly what his ethnicity is, aside from "not TOO... you know... ethnic." People are still really weird about that.

computer parts posted:

e: Like I'm not usually one for sad endings, but this would've been a much better ending to the film (with minor alterations like Sebastian not being there):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Keal_UfT6o

I agree, that's a better ending (and I too and not big on the "FLYNN DIES" style grimmdarrkk route either). And yeah, TLM benefits a lot from simply being much better than most of the preceding films they'd done. It was Menken's first with Disney, and though we take it for granted now, that really got Disney musicals credibility again. Menken is fantastic, I'm never going to dispute that.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Pick posted:

I agree. I'm really not into romance movies at all, but I have a few very select, well done love stories which are awesome and I enjoy a lot. Some of those just happen to be Disney movies!

Honestly, I don't remember liking TLM very much as a child. I have a friend who is about three or four years my junior who loved TLM and adores Ariel, but it really didn't leave a lasting impression on me. I forgot the entire movie, after all. I think the big Disney movie that I loved to death as a kid was The Lion King. Admittedly, because I grew up as an enormous Looney Tunes animation fan, I've always preferred talking animal movies. When it came out, The Lion King was my favorite thing ever for ages and I probably wore out the OST casette tape. YES. I said cassette tape! :colbert:

On the subject of Moana not having a love interest, I'm kind of glad that they're steering away from the formula of love = happy ending. I really appreciated that Merida was happy just being who she is without needing a prince. It's funny, I really disliked Brave the first time I saw it, but after second viewing on Netflix a year later, I suddenly thought it was awesome. Not sure what changed my mind. My Mom, who is terrified of bears, also loves it, which is really something! I've been trying to get her to watch Frozen with my aunt because they are also super different but very close sisters, and I feel they'd enjoy it a lot.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
My favorite Disney love stories are Tangled and Beauty & the Beast. Both of the male-lead arcs are surprisingly similar; I would say that they're about realizing that a good partner cares most about your true character.

Eugene thinks he will succeed by being a rich man with a "dashing" reputation, but these are not the qualities that Rapunzel cares about. She respects his compassion and responds to his communication.

Beast thinks he cannot succeed because of his appearance, but this is not the quality Belle cares about. She respects his compassion and responds to his communication.

Both Rapunzel and Belle change their perspective when the man stops trying to be blustery and is instead honest, even if it's "humbling" by the standards of machismo culture.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
So is the upcoming movie about this woman?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moana_Pozzi

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Pick posted:

My favorite Disney love stories are Tangled and Beauty & the Beast. Both of the male-lead arcs are surprisingly similar; I would say that they're about realizing that a good partner cares most about your true character.

Eugene thinks he will succeed by being a rich man with a "dashing" reputation, but these are not the qualities that Rapunzel cares about. She respects his compassion and responds to his communication.

Beast thinks he cannot succeed because of his appearance, but this is not the quality Belle cares about. She respects his compassion and responds to his communication.

Both Rapunzel and Belle change their perspective when the man stops trying to be blustery and is instead honest, even if it's "humbling" by the standards of machismo culture.

I think one of my favorite scenes in ANY Disney movie, is after Belle is attacked by the wolves and Beast saves her. Their little scene where they bicker at each other like a married couple would with Beast pouting because he lost the argument is just so so good. It's frankly one of the most human things Beast does throughout the movie.

I know B&TB can get picked on a bit lately with the topic of abuse/stockholm syndrome, but I think that movie is so highly regarded because it had a relationship between two characters that was probably the most interesting relationship Disney had every showed up to that point. It wasn't simply girl meets guy, they fall in love, guy has to save girl, they get married in the end.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I always find the talk of Stockholm funny considering that Belle never gives in to anything, he's the one who softens up and gives her more and more freedom as they continue doing stuff. The only time he really gets upset (outside of his tantrum when she refuses to come to dinner) is shortly after when she is rooting in around in a place that he doesn't want her to see. That and she was about to play with the rose, we see him immediately regret freaking out as she runs away and so he goes after her.

Speaking of BatB though I've never been a fan of how Belle treats everyone in the village, it's no wonder no one goes to bat for her or her father at the end, they're not nice people

Qindarka
Nov 13, 2012
With Naveen, it seems that they were struggling to think of ways in which a prince would be African American yet were aware that having him be white would continue a rather unfortunate trend, hence why they made his ethnicity so ambiguous.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Well he's clearly not American, he's a prince?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Qindarka posted:

With Naveen, it seems that they were struggling to think of ways in which a prince would be African American yet were aware that having him be white would continue a rather unfortunate trend, hence why they made his ethnicity so ambiguous.

I can't help by try to be optimistic about it and think that after hearing Naveen's voice they changed his ethnicity to be "???" because they just liked the voice so much but couldn't pin down an ethnicity to pair it with

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pick posted:

I actually did not remember this, because the only time I ever saw Pocahontas II was on its initial release in loving 1998, when I was at the birthday party of a kid named Richard. I gave him one of those tanks full of goo where you could place the submarine and the other marine crap in the goo wherever you wanted to make a sort of goo-scene. I think the one I gave him also had fake blood, like, for some sort of squid battle?

I read on this forum that one of the Native Americans who comes to England gets a log and is told to make a scratch on it whenever he sees a white person. At the end of the movie, it's a twig.

firebeats
May 8, 2016
wrong forum

firebeats fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 25, 2016

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh yeah, I was going to make a list of Disney Princess Clickbait Art. Not to disparage the artists, but it's always interesting what "versions" they've done. A few are really good though, like shoomlah's historically accurate princesses.

See them Here.

• Locked thread