KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Blaze Dragon posted:

We should hang out with Atsuro, he's a bro.

Also I haven't played this game but from what I can see a full White Mage build isn't very useful, huh.

It's far more useful for demons than for the main characters, but the reasons why will be more clear in the next few updates. That said, there are definitely demons designed for nothing but healing and healing alone, and they are not instantly bad.

Also, let's go hang out with our bro, A-tsu-low.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Yuzu is cuter. Just.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

ChaosArgate posted:

Some emails you can reply to, but I think it's mostly fluff, for the most part.
Hah. Yes. Mostly.

Let's go chill with Atsuro some more.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
You don't ever have to reply to the emails, and for the most part no one gives a poo poo that you're that guy who reads every single message and never replies. I think Yuzu gets a little sad and asks if you hate it when she emails you but otherwise I can't remember anything changing as far as progressing the plot goes.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

SC Bracer posted:

You don't ever have to reply to the emails, and for the most part no one gives a poo poo that you're that guy who reads every single message and never replies. I think Yuzu gets a little sad and asks if you hate it when she emails you but otherwise I can't remember anything changing as far as progressing the plot goes.
Well, there is one thing.

There are two specific responses you need to send to Gin. If you don't? gently caress you, you don't get that ending. I know this because I locked myself out once and was super pissed about it.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Hang out with Yuzu.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

curiousCat posted:

Hang out with Yuzu.

Yeah, she seems to be really shaken up by he whole situation, let's see if we can help her calm down.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Let's see what hanging out with Yuzu is like.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

Let's see what hanging out with Yuzu is like.

I get the feeling a lot of people have no idea what her cutscenes are like. Let's talk with with Yuzu.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Atsuro is our bro and we should hang out with him.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

code:

Atsuro: |||||||
Yuzu  : ||||||

Here's how the vote stands currently. I'll be home tomorrow night, so we'll call it there when I get back.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Let's hang out with Yuzu.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Throwing in another vote for Yuzu.

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
Let's talk with our good friend Yoohoo. We can talk with Atsuro another time, maybe next playthrough.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Atsubro is never whiny and generally an all around cool dude.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Another vote for good ole' Yoohoo.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

We should help out Yuzu in these intense times!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Atsuro may be our bro but Yuzu is having a rougher time of it and could probably use a friend to talk with. In a perfect world we'd hang out with both our pals but apparently this is impossible.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Hello, I have landed safely, so let's call the vote here. Yuzu won 12:8, so we're going to hang out with her next update.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Welcome to the first real day! If you recall, yesterday, we got our COMPs, got into some fights, asserted our dominance over some demons and we took shelter at Aoyama Cemetery. Let's check in on our group now.

: Oh, morning Phones. Did you get some sleep...?

: That girl was right. Some demon-looking things passed by, but they didn't notice us.

: Yeah... I saw 'em too. B-But now that the sun's out, we can get out of here, right!?

Hey, we're alive, that's what's important here!

: Hahaha, yeah. I hope that's the last time I ever have to sleep in a cemetery!

: But the lights never came back on... Hard to tell in daylight, but there's still a blackout.

: Yeah... I still don't have any cell reception. So... none of that was a dream...

: G-Guess we should read it...

quote:

From: NAOYA
Subject: Death Clock

Kazuya, you're still alive, aren't you? I'll explain the function of the Death Clock to you.

The Death Clock displays the number of days a person has left to live.
The details are:
  • The Death Clock is only available to the party leader.
  • A single digit (0-9) is displayed..
  • If a person has 10 or more days left before death, nothing is displayed.
Finally, the Death Clock is a value calculated by the Laplace system. A person's actions can cause the value to change, so be careful.

So that's what those floating numbers are and why that guy from last night lost his number when he died. Kinda grim.

quote:

From: The Observer
Subject: Laplace Mail

Good morning.
Here is today's NEWS.

(1) Power outages will continue in all parts of Tokyo within the Yamanote loop through the day. It is unknown when power will be restored.

(2) Poisonous gas is suspected to have escaped from underground pockets. All train service is cancelled across all lines. All exits from within the Yamanote loop will be closed.

(3) At 13:00 in Chiyoda-ku Bunkyo, a localized blizzard will occur. Three victims will be murdered by a snowman.

HaVE a nICE daY

: A-A death clock...!? What's up with that!? So we can see how long people have left to live?

: Hey, Phones... Didn't you say before that you could see a number over our heads...?

: Who cares about the email!? Don't dodge the question! You saw the number, right!?

: ...It's 0, isn't it? Yesterday, you said... The number was 1. Which means... our number right now... it's 0, isn't it?

It's a little tough to swallow the fact that you're going to die today.

: That's it. I've had enough! This stupid conversation is over! C'mon, let's go. This is all some big hoax... Let's hurry back home!

It'd be nice, but it's highly likely they're not running, just going off the Laplace Mail.

: ......! Wh-What do you mean!?

: Calm down, Yoohoo. I checked the other email. Don't you remember what it said? "All stations are locked down." If that's true, we won't be able to use the trains.

: B-But...! How can we know for sure unless we go? The email might be wrong about that!

No sense in arguing about it here when we can just go see for ourselves.

: Yeah, I'm with you. No sense in griping about it here. Let's check the nearest station!

: God, please let Shibuya Station be open...!

After leaving the cemetery and emerging in Omotesando, Yuzu suddenly stops...

: Hey, you guys! Look...!

: What the hell...? What happened here?

: What a mess... Did all this happen just because we had a blackout for one night?

Blackouts are a bit annoying, but to cause something like this? No way.

: Huh? What do you mean?

: Headlights aren't hooked up to the power grid. Accidents this bad wouldn't have happened...

: Then... It really is because demons are in Tokyo...?

: There's no proof, but that'd be my guess. Let's hurry... We're almost to Shibuya.

The streets to Miyamasuzuka are choked with crowds. No one can get near Shibuya Station...

You can see Self-Defense Force vehicles and a barricade past the crowd...

: All lines, including private rails, are affected. Remain calm until the problem is solved! Police blockades are in effect throughout the Yamanote line, including overpasses.

: Hey, what's going on here!? I demand a full explanation for this!

: The cause is currently under investigation. Until then, please obey our instructions! To ensure everyone's safety, we ask for your understanding and cooperation! We're also looking into the explosion that occurred in Aoyama Cemetery last night. If you have any information, please inform a disaster relief worker immediately!

The angry mob slowly quiets down upon hearing the SDF officer's repeated message... Eventually, the gathered crowd begins to disperse, as if they are giving up...

: drat... not only aren't the trains working, we can't even get near the station...!

: Was that stuff about the gas leak true? You think this is because of the demons, too...?

Something stinks around here and it's not that "gas leak."

: I agree...

: Huh?

: You think they put up all these barricades and blocked in the entire area overnight? No... It looks to me like all this was prepared way in advance...

: W-Wait, you mean...?

: Yeah... There's something else going on here that we don't know about.

: drat... Everything that email said is coming true. At this rate, we're gonna...!

Why not? Naoya said our actions can affect the readings. It only stands to reason that we can improve our chances of survival!

: You mean change how long we have on the death clock...? Good idea, Phones!

: Naoya's email said the number changes based on what we do! So let's do something about all this! That Laplace Mail stuff about not escaping the Yamanote area and us going to die today... Let's prove it wrong!

: Haha... I'm surprised to hear that from you, Phones.

: The death clock and the Laplace Mails do run on the same predictive algorithm... Which means the death clock uses what the Laplace Mail says to calculate a number. Its probability ratio is pretty high... The underlying process must be real complicated.

: H-Hey, slow down, whiz kid. You're getting a little ahead of us non-eggheads...

: Oh, sorry. It's an important point, though, so listen... With an algorithm this complex, one mistake could cause a very large error.

: Which means... if we make sure the things the Laplace Mail predicts don't come true... Its predictions become useless, affecting the death clock's readout!

: ......! Does that mean... We don't have to die today?

: So we have a chance!

: It's not certain that the results will be thrown off, mind you... But it's probably safe to assume that we can change the outcome.

: Uh... Is this really possible?

: Haha, what's the matter, Yoohoo? This was your idea.

: Huh? But... I didn't know all that stuff you were talking about...!

: Haha, there's the Yoohoo we know. Don't sweat it, okay?

: Alright! Let's do whatever we can to find a way out of this lockdown! As long as we prevent what's predicted in those emails, we can beat the death clock!

: Yeah! C'mon, let's go! Even if the area inside the Yamanote line is locked down, there must be a secret exit!

: Right! But we'll have to be careful of the police and the Self-Defense Force...

: Huh? Why...?

We're plenty suspicious right now, so let's just lay low and keep out of trouble as best we can.

: Phones is right. If they get suspicious and interrogate us, they'll take away our COMPs. There's a lot of strange stuff going on... I'm sure the police are questioning people. Remember how the SDF guy at the station said they were looking into the explosion?

: Oh yeah... Okay, then. We'll be extra careful.

Most battles cannot be avoided, but you can flee from some during the battle.

Right, so I pointed it out yesterday, but events that are actually battles are signified by the word "Battle." Kind of self explanatory. We'll get to Free Battles next time, but for now, it's time to figure out what to do about the lockdown. On the top screen, you can see who's available at this moment to talk to so we can plan our actions based on that. At the end of yesterday, I put it up to a thread vote for who we should hang out with between Yuzu and Atsuro, and Yuzu ended up winning, so we're gonna go see if we can calm her down a little.

: Hey, Yoohoo! How come we never talk about boring stuff? Tell us about your family...

: Hey moron, try calling my family "boring" one more time...

Weirdly, the start of this conversation is worded differently in Overclocked. Atsuro asks if they can kill time by talking about Yuzu's family, to which she takes offense to him using the word "kill" in the same sentence as her family. It makes her seem more on-edge rather than this playful banter from the original, which is fitting.

: Uh--I--Sorry! It was just a slip of the tongue!

: Eh, it's fine... It's not like it really matters all that much.

: It's just an ordinary family. But my parents never got along at all... So they got divorced last year. I've been living with my mom.

: But even after leaving my dad, my mom seems a lot touchier... She fusses over nothing! I know it's tough to take care of me by herself, but she's getting on my nerves.... She and I hardly ever talk anymore.

As we've seen before, Yuzu's the type to just run away from her problems. She might be as bad about running away as Shinji Ikari, but I digress. Still, it's kinda funny that the person most likely to run away isn't Spike Spencer's character.

: Don't talk like I'm running from it all! I'm trying to avoid a bad situation!

: Though... I guess that's the same as running away...

: ...... I'll think about it some more. Thanks, Phones.

And this is why I made this a thread vote. Once you see one of your friends' events, the other one is unavailable. Since it's still in Shibuya, let's go meet with this burly looking fellow.

: When the hell're you gonna let us out!?

: We'll lift the lockdown once we can confirm the area is safe. Please wait until then.

: Yeah, yeah, you said that already! I'm askin' when that's gonna happen!

: No matter how often you ask, the answer is the same. Now go back to the safe zone!

: What!? You wanna say that again!?

: Huh!? Who the hell said--

: ......! K-Kaido...!? I-I'm sorry, man!

: ...Hmph.

: Kaido...? Like, Kaido of the Shibuya Daemons...?

: You know him, Atsuro...? Ugh... more "daemons"...

: That's the absolute last thing I want to hear about now...

For those of you not listening to the Overclocked dub, "daemon" is pronounced the same as "demon."

: C'mon, Yoohoo. They're not quite the same thing. A daemon is a guardian spirit. The Shibuya Daemons are one of the more charismatic punk gangs. Kaido's their leader. They're really famous in Shibuya.

This kind of goes without saying, but hey, maybe he knows something about the area that we don't.

: Hey, good idea! You're really on the ball, Phones!

: Kaido IS known for treating his people well... Yeah, let's go talk to him!

: Huh? Who're you guys?

: Cool. I'm Kaido. You guys need somethin'?

This is Kaido. He may look like a punk, but he's a good guy who wants to do right by his friends. He's voiced by Travis Willingham, who is Guile from Street Fighter, Dan Green's replacement as Knuckles the Echidna in the Sonic the Hedgehog series, and Lon'qu from Fire Emblem: Awakening. Coincidentally, he's married to Laura Bailey, who is not only Amane from this game, but is also Lucina from FE:A.

Interestingly, if you ask Yuzu and Atsuro if Kaido might know about Naoya, there's an additional option to ask him about Naoya here. Because we didn't, it'll show up later. Also, as an aside, the Naoya voice files seem to be stored separately from the main conversation and I can't seem to find where, so I'm omitting it from the dub track for now.

: (Wh-What!? Me!?)

: Look, you're the ones who stopped me.

: Quit freakin' out over every little thing. It gets on my nerves...

: Oh, sorry! Well... We have something to ask you...

: Yeah? It better be simple.

: Yeah, of course! Um... do you know any hidden exits from the Yamanote circle area?

: If I did, I'da used it already. We're havin' trouble gettin' through the central ward.

That... probably went without saying, really. Still, it was worth a shot.

: *sigh* I had a feeling you'd say that...

: Everyone's in the same boat here... If that's all, I'm gonna get going.

Naoya strikes me as the type to keep to himself and doesn't seem very personable, but still, it's worth asking since Kaido doesn't seem the type to want to bite our heads off.

: Huh? Naoya? Who's he?

: He's Phones's cousin. We don't know where he is...

: Well... Things are pretty bad around here, so I'll help you look. Got a photo or anything?

One AirDrop later...

As an aside, Japanese cell phones are actually pretty advanced compared to western ones, I'm told. A Japanese flip phone is apparently on par with a smartphone over in the west. It's kinda cool!

: Cool, got it. Alright, once the cells come back on, I'll spread it around my crew. Alright, be seein' ya.

: How'd it go, Phones? Were you able to see what the death clock said about Kaido?

: Six days? I-It was that short? That means he has less than a week, right...!?

: Don't be ridiculous, it was just a coincidence. Six days is better than our time...

: Y-Yeah, but...

: Sorry... Didn't mean to bring you down like that.

: C'mon, let's get going! We'll find a way out and change our fate!

: Y-Yeah...! Let's go, Phones!

You know, I really do wonder where he's sending these emails from.

quote:

From: NAOYA
Subject: New function

How are you doing, Kazuya? I've written a new applcation for the COMP, so I'm sending it to you.

Once you read this email, the option for the Devil Auction should be available in the COMP menu.

You should be getting an email from the auction site, too.

You know about Macca, the currency of the Netherworld, right? You get it when you defeat demons. You need Macca to bid in the auctions. Money makes the Netherworld go 'round, too.

Please keep surviving. I look forward to seeing you again.

So that's what Macca is, it's this game's money. We use it to bid on demons on the Devil Auction. As I mentioned in the OP, I'll probably throw on a max money cheat soon so I can spend more time actually playing the game instead of grinding for cash.

quote:

From: DA Registrar
Subject: Welcome!

Welcome to the Devil Auction!

We are a member-based auction site that helps you with the bothersome tasks of forming contracts with demons for use on your behalf.

Demons will make themselves available as merchandise to be bid upon by Devil Auction members. The winner will be able to make a contract with the demon, and will have a powerful new ally.

Please spend your wages of sin at the Devil Auction!

: A Devil Auction...!? Wh-What is this? What's going on!?

The mental image of a Kobold screaming at people about his wares is really funny to me. :allears:

That aside, it seems like all Naoya did was write a client for us to access dBay with. I wonder if we could've accessed it via the COMP's browser? Then again, the formatting might not be pretty for a mobile device, so that wouldn't do us much good.

: ...It looks that way. One thing's for sure... Demons have been on this world for a long time, and some people have known about them.

: H-How can you be so sure?

: Think about it. For an auction to exist, you need someone to run it and you need someone to buy from it. If there are other bidders than just us, then the auction has been around since before then.

: Uh-huh... Okay, I get it.

: Still... It's kind of a shock. We were living here but we knew nothing at all...

: An opportunity...? Yeah, I get it.

: Well, I don't get it! I don't get anything!

: Oh, sorry. Well, there's a chance we might die today...

: And considering what's happening, it would probably be because of a demon.

: Ugh...

: ...But if we can use this website to get powerful demons as allies, we can fight back! In other words, our chances of surviving will go up!

: So you're saying that we have to get demons so we can fight even more demons?

: I've had enough of this! Why do we have to fight!?

Something something dog-eat-dog world something fight fire with fire. Come on Yuzu, you mustn't run away!

: Urgh... That's true, but... Let's try to avoid as much of this bad stuff as we can, huh?

Little aside, she actually flat out says she wants to run away in Overclocked.

: Yeah... If we can escape, that would be the best option.

: But if there's ever something we can't run from... We'll have to make up our minds...

: Yeah. We'll have to use this auction and do everything we can to help us fight...

Well now that that's done, we have a new demon available on dBay. This message usually pops up after a major battle, so you'll never miss new deals demons.

Anyway, we'll check out dBay next time. For now, let's actually look at the Yamanote line.

: Huh!? We can't go through here, either!?

: Sorry, Miss. There's been an outbreak of poisonous gas. Please step back.

The SDF members don't have death clocks. It seems they'll live longer than 10 days...

: drat it... There really are troops along all the railroads! We might die today, too... drat it!

: If only our cellphones worked, I could call my mom and tell her that I can't come home...

I'd really hate to be related to someone trapped in Tokyo right now; I'd be a nervous wreck over their safety. I know no news is good news, but for something like this?

: Oh! That reminds me! The COMPs' email works, right? Can't we contact the outside?

: Hey! I'll give it a try! ...If this works, I'll send an email to my COMP at home...

Would... there be any indication of success? Even if it did go through without error, how would anyone know that an email made it through successfully? I suppose if emails can be sent out, they could email someone and they'd presumably get the message.

: ...Huh?

: What's wrong?

: "Cannot connect to the specified server." ...That's what it says.

: It's not connecting? ...What's that mean?

: Well, Naoya made this COMP to begin with... Maybe it can't use standard connections to communicate with regular COMPs.

: So... It didn't work? All right, let's go check out someplace else...

Yes, let's. I'm not going to do this very often, but for kicks, I decided to talk to someone in the area.

: Hey, you kids, are you stuck here, too? There's nothing to do but sit and wait. Oh, right. I found this... Do you know what it is?

You were given 50 Macca!

: You can have it, if you like. So cheer up a little.

Now that that's done, I think that's a good place to end it for now. Next time, we'll go check out other parts of the lockdown.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Aug 4, 2016

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I need to ask something: I was reading a review for Overclocked, the reviewer (who mentioned that she had lived in Tokyo for a year) said that "The Yamanote Loop is just asking to be used as the outer limit of a quarantine zone". To anyone who has lived in or is living in Tokyo: what does she mean by that? What makes the Yamanote Loop special?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I heard that Japanese cell phones are about 10 years ahead of America's. I don't know if it's still true, or if it ever was, though.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I have neither lived in nor do I currently live in Tokyo, but from what I understand, the Yamanote line is a railway loop that connects pretty much all of Tokyo's major stations and urban centers. It forms one big loop about 35 km long around Tokyo and one full trip is supposed to take about an hour.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

We're still in the "introduce everyone" part of the game, where everyone tries to make a good first impression and the protagonists are willing to think the best of everyone until they prove otherwise.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

MightyPretenders posted:

We're still in the "introduce everyone" part of the game, where everyone tries to make a good first impression and the protagonists are willing to think the best of everyone until they prove otherwise.

Duh, it's an SMT game, everyone is trying to be friendly to you in the beginning, then near the middle-to-late game they try to convince you that their philosophy is the best one.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Junpei posted:

I need to ask something: I was reading a review for Overclocked, the reviewer (who mentioned that she had lived in Tokyo for a year) said that "The Yamanote Loop is just asking to be used as the outer limit of a quarantine zone". To anyone who has lived in or is living in Tokyo: what does she mean by that? What makes the Yamanote Loop special?

I've never been there but from what I've gathered from various pop culture osmosis, it's basically a giant railway band isolating the entirety of Tokyo's commercial districts from its more residential areas. Basically, it's where everyone is during the day but nobody wants to be during the night.

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010
The Yamanote line is a big circle that goes around Tokyo. Using it as the outer limit of a quarantine zone makes sense because it's an easily-defined area, enclosed by a perfect unbroken loop, in the middle of a huge city.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay, thanks.

Yeah, dBay! Sweet! I find it funny that demons are auctioning off themselves.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Amidiri posted:

The Yamanote line is a big circle that goes around Tokyo. Using it as the outer limit of a quarantine zone makes sense because it's an easily-defined area, enclosed by a perfect unbroken loop, in the middle of a huge city.

It also hits a ton of the significant areas in Tokyo, as we've seen so far- Tokyo station, Shinjuku, Shibuya, Harajuku, Ikebukuro, the Meiji Shrine, Ueno, Shinagawa. Areas like Nihombashi, Roppongi, the Imperial Palace, even the Diet, the Japanese Parliament are inside the Yamanote loop. It's probably by far the busiest train line in the world.

To give you an idea of the size, you could probably walk across the area it encompasses East to West in 2 to 3 hours, and North to South in 4 to 5, maybe? I'm looking at a map and guessing based on how long it took me when I decided I didn't want to pay the last leg of the subway to get back to my place in Tokyo when I lived there.

So just to emphasize- if this lockdown occurred before businesspeople could leave, you're looking at several million people trapped in this area, possibly including the Japanese government. This would be an unprecedented, catastrophic situation if it happened in the real world.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Junpei posted:

Okay, thanks.

Yeah, dBay! Sweet! I find it funny that demons are auctioning off themselves.

It's a little funny to think of, but demons are essentially mercenaries who work for the highest bidder. We'll touch on that tomorrow though, because I'll have an update then.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Welcome back. We're going to start this update by looking at dBay, since we learned about it last time.

Welcome to the Devil Auction!

This site uses a rank system. Users' ability to purchase demons is rank dependant.

[About Ranks]
  • As your rating improves, you may enter higher auctions.
  • Winning raises your rating.
  • Failing to pay lowers it.
Begin by selecting a demon.

I'm surprised the alias "Phones" wasn't already taken. Then again, that might just be a screen name instead of the actual username. Regardless, this is the demon listing. Pick a demon you like, make bids and try to win more allies. The better your buyer rating, the more demons you can buy; it works like real eBay. Essentially, these demons are auctioning mercenary contracts to us.

Since this is the very start of the game, we don't have much selection here. For each listing, you can see what demon you're bidding on, their level, how many you're bidding on, their rank, and the starting bid. There are three different ranks of demons: poor, which are 1 and 2 star; average, which are 3 star; and good, which are 4 and 5 star. Poor demons are a waste of time and money, they either have less skills than their average counterparts, or lower stats, or both. Average demons are as vanilla as they come. Good demons have slight stat bonuses or they know more skills, or both. Try to bid on good demons if you can, but it's ok to settle for average if you can't get anything better. Unfortunately, I didn't get any good demons with this first set of listings, but that's ok, there's a trick to resetting the listings.

More on that later though. First, let's actually get into an auction. You can see the starting bid, the buy-it-now price, and the minimum bid amount over on the left, along with some flavor text. On the right, you can see the time remaining in the auction (the game'll explain this in a second) and who you're bidding against. The bidding opponents aren't especially important, but they're generally references to other Atlus games. Most, if not all of them, are from Soul Hackers. Finnegan is a recurring rival antagonist from that game, Six was a fellow member of the gang the protagonist of SH was in and Mayone was an enemy agent from that game.

Now that we've started the auction, the clock is ticking. Like the tooltip explained, we have 5 seconds to get our bids in.

All three of the Soul Hackers bidders make bids as I make my own.

Finnegan and Mayone have thrown in the towel, and Six is looking pretty nervous over there. To explain what happened, the more you bid, the more nervous you can make your opponents. If you drive up the price too high, they back out and you don't have to worry about them anymore, which is signified by the white flag. The sweat drops indicate that they're getting close to their limit.

With time expiring, it's time to make the final bid. At this point, anyone who's still bidding makes one final offer and whoever makes the better offer wins the demon. It's a bit of a guessing game at this point, honestly.

That was a lot closer than I was expecting! I don't really like getting to the final bid because I'm never actually sure how much money I should bid, but I made a good bid here!

: Hey, thankya! I'll be workin' for yer sake. Jus' lemme know what ta do!

Once you've won the auction, you have the option to default on your bid, if you get cold feet at the last minute. I think it negatively impacts your rating though, so don't do it.

I'm gonna grab this Ogre real quick before I sign off of dBay. Judah S. is a playable demon summoner from Soul Hackers who worked for the enemy organization, but had doubts about his role and Carol J. is a miniboss from Soul Hackers.

As an aside, I'm now remembering Soul Hackers had some weeeiiiird COMP designs. The main character's COMP was a gun and Judah had a saxophone COMP! Soul Hackers is also a pretty rad game and it's 90's as hell and I'm really happy Atlus finally got an opportunity to localize it with the 3DS port. Also, fun fact, Judah is also voiced by Spike Spencer, just like Atsuro.

For this auction, I did something different. Instead of letting anyone else bid, I just kept raising my price high enough to knock everyone else out of the auction. Once everyone else is out, I win! It's easy enough to do, since the game doesn't stop you from bidding multiple times in succession. Devil Survivor 2 would later revamp the auction system so the normal auctions are pretty much entirely the final bid from this game, but with icons showing you about how much your opponents are going to bid.

Anyway, I wanted the Ogre because that 9 St is nothing to sneeze at this early in the game. It may be slow as poo poo with decent Vi, but it'll hit pretty hard and that's exactly what I want.

[About Accidents]
The sellers are demons who cannot always be trusted. They may lie about their skills, or switch with other demons. Cancellling these bids will not lower your rating.

Oh, I completely forgot about this mechanic. Well, here's the one instance where it's ok to default on your bid. That said, I decided to take the Kabuso anyway, since I like it more than Kobold. Don't mind the money total, for the purposes of the LP and hopefully getting out timely updates, Phones is going to have a nest egg of funds.

One reset later and we've reset dBay's listings. They're still not great, but I grab a Kobold anyway.

And here's our team for now. Nothing special, I tried to keep teams to 2 of one attacking type and 1 of the other. Unfortunately, I forgot to give Yuzu an actual attack again, so she's still rocking Dia for this next bit.

Now that we're done playing in the auction, let's actually go do a free battle with our new demons.

: Everyone will be in trouble if we leave them alone... We better take care of 'em!

If you're in danger or simply want to leave, you can escape from free battles. To do so, open the System menu and select Retreat.

Well, it's just a simple battle. You can do them for free. Just make sure you don't get party wiped. You can even retreat for free if you feel like you're about to be overwhelmed. I think you keep whatever battle rewards you earned up to that point too? Anyway, if you need macca, you're going to have to grind free battles to earn it. It's not particularly lucrative, either, to be perfectly honest. You also don't get any experience as a reward for clearing a free battle, so we're gonna move on now. Also, Phones got a level around the start of the battle and I put that point into Ma.

Alright, let's go meet with this new face.

: Man... Omotesando... I could never have imagined something like this when I came out here yesterday.

: Hey, look...!

: Yes, I'm Yuzu Tanikawa. I'm surprised you remember me, Gin!

: Heh. A man in my line of work has to have a good memory for names and faces.

: Ahaha! Sounds like a tough job! Oh, um...

: Oh, there's this indie singer I really like named Haru. Gin's kind of Haru's guardian. I met him at a show, and we've spoken a couple times since.

: Gin always watches out for people, so everyone tends to consider him a big brother.

: You flatter me, Yuzu. So are these two your friends? We haven't met, right?

: Oh, sorry! Feel free to introduce yourselves, guys.

: I'm Atsuro Kihara. Nice to meet you.

Let's take this opportunity to tease Yuzu a bit. Doing a straight introduction just skips a few lines anyway, so we're getting more dialog!

: Wha...?

: Cut that out! What're you saying, Phones!? That's not...! U-Uhhh, Gin, this is Kazuya Minegi. Arrrrgh...!

: Heh, don't worry, I get it. Take it nice and easy, Yuzu. The name's Eiji, but everyone calls me Gin. I run a bar over that way.

So this is Gin, he's a real cool guy. I remember him being one of my favorite characters. For those of you not listening along with the Overclocked dub, his name's pronounced the same way as gin, the drink, with a soft "g," not gin, the Japanese word for silver, with a hard "g." I think Gin's voiced by Josh Gilman, who was Angeal from Crisis Core: FFVII.

: I'm in a real fix. Everything from the ice to the fruits in the fridge are wiped out.

: Well, no sense crying over spoiled milk. Just gotta wait for the power to come back. You been here long? Bet you've been out since the blackout... Heh. What a sorry situation. Hurry home and let your folks know you're safe, okay?

: Uh, about that...

Yuzu explains to Gin what you saw at Shibuya Station.

: What? The station's locked down and no one's getting through? Are you pulling my leg...? Hm... the bar TV's busted and my cell's dead, too. Looks like we're all in the dark... Man... What's going on?

: Your cell doesn't work either!? That's been a huge problem for us, too!

: Well... sitting here won't get us home, so we're thinking of looking for a way out.

: Sounds like a big deal. But if the government's on the job, this should blow over soon.

: I hope you're right...

: Just you watch, it'll be over by nightfall. I'm going to go catch some Zs at the bar... If you need help with anything, just give me a holler.

: Okay! Thanks a ton, Gin!

: Hey, Phones... What did the death clock say about Gin?

Gin too, huh? I wonder...

: 6!? Why!? I-Is Gin going to die in six days...!? But this is...

: This is insane!

: I see... I hoped if we stayed close to people with high numbers, we'd have better odds of survival.

: I get it... People without a number are likely to live for a while. They might help us.

: We can't know for sure, but we should do everything we can to increase our odds of survival!

Next up, we're going to Roppongi for our next event with this redhead. This event only shows up once you've seen either Gin's event or the other one that was available to us at the start of this update.

You can see a crowd gathered on Roppongi Boulevard...

: Huh? Hey, I know that song...!

: Here's hoping my songs get you all out of those Blackout Blues!

: Omigosh, it's Haru! Awesome! This is just what I needed to cheer me up!

: Looks like I've got a fan in the crowd! I'm about warmed up now--so here's one for you!

This is Haru, a somewhat famous indie rock singer. She's probably the singer of Reset, this game's theme. Incidentally, Haru's Japanese voice actress was the singer of the Overclocked opening, Soul Survive. Haru is voiced by Amanda Winn Lee, who is Yukiko in Persona 4 and Rei Ayanami from the original Evangelion dub.

Yuzu continues to cheer until the street performance ends...

: Of all the places to see a show from Haru...! That was so cool!

: Her singing was pretty good, but is she that famous?

: Yeah! Uh, in the indie scene. She's the same Haru I told you about earlier.

This line is a little different if you end up going to this event before Gin's. Similarly, one of the lines from Gin's events is different if you go here first.

: She used to be in a band called D-Va, but now she's gone solo.

: Solo? What happened to D-Va?

: I don't really know much about when she was in the band... I just heard they split up when Aya, one of their members, quit to study music.

: Huh... So her name's Haru? Well, I think you can count me as a fan too!

Reset's a pretty good song... Whatever you choose here has a minor effect on a scene later today, which I think is pretty neat!

: I know, right? Haru's so awesome!

: Hahaha... Well, we've rested long enough. We don't have much time left...

: Yeah, we should be focused on surviving. Hm? What's the matter, Phones?

Right, let's address the elephant in the room now. Avoiding the question just has Yuzu get mad at you and grill you until you finally give it up.

: That's what the death clock readout on Haru was...!? We have to tell her!

: Wait a sec, Yoohoo!

: What now!?

: What would you say? If you tell her straight up, she'll think you're crazy!

: Ugh... You're probably right.

: Don't forget, our number is 0 too. We might die today first. If we don't do something about that, how are we supposed to help anyone else?

: Yeah... Good call. There's no use worrying about that until we have a solution to this whole mess.

: Right. C'mon, guys. Let's go...

One last event for the day. We're gonna meet someone here, but weirdly, the game doesn't indicate that on the map.

: It's so hot... wish the buses or taxis were working. I'm getting all sweaty...

: Is Atsuro still not back yet?

: No good. All the roads under the rail bridge have been blockaded by the SDF. It's just like they said. Everything inside the Yamanote line is locked down.

: Haha, maybe so...

: Huh...? Is that Keisuke?

: What the... Atsuro?

Rounding off the introductions for this part, this is Keisuke Takagi. I'm not too big a fan of him, but we'll get to that in due time. I think he's voiced by Doug Erholtz, who is the current voice of Squall Leonhart in Final Fantasy, Hazama from BlazBlue and Jean Pierre Polnareff in the upcoming dub of Part 3 of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

: I thought I recognized you, Keisuke! Long time no see! Keisuke helped me out big time in middle school. I wouldn't be here without this guy!

: I-I wouldn't go that far... Atsuro...! No, all of you! Your number...

: Huh? Did you just say--!?

: N-Never mind! I have to get going!

: What's up with him...?

The fact that he can see the Death Clock should be ringing some bells, Atsuro.

: What? So that guy ran away because he saw the death clock said 0!? That's horrible...!

: Wh-What're you talking about!? Only people with COMPs have access to the death clock!

Atsuro please, connect the dots!

: And Keisuke... Well, he's not that kind of guy.

: What makes you say that?

: He always used to stand up for the weaker kids, so they really depended on him.

: He saved me a bunch of times, too... If not for him, I'd have been a gofer for three years.

: Weird... He seemed pretty shy himself just now.

: Yeah, I have no idea. I lost all contact with him after we got into high school...

: By the way, Phones... Did you remember to check his death clock readout?

Hmm... Keisuke seems to have a COMP and has less time left than the folks who don't... Interesting.

: 1...? drat it! Keisuke's gonna die tomorrow, too!

Well, that's it for this update. Next time, we've got a battle on our hands and possibly a meeting with Naoya! Before we leave off though, I went back to the auction to go get some more demons.

I'll spare you guys the details, but this is what my team looks like now. We're dropping those Kobolds in favor of raw power, Atsuro gets a Pixie to make up for finally giving Yuzu an attack spell. We'll give this set up a trial run next time.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
We have met two of the best characters and one of the worst.

(I am also trying very hard not to make Overwatch references now.)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Gin and Haru were two of my favorite characters from this game, too. Gin's a chill dude, and Haru is cool.

I never encountered that ACCIDENT event at the auction! Does it still occur in Overclocked?

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

theshim posted:

We have met two of the best characters and one of the worst.

(I am also trying very hard not to make Overwatch references now.)

Well I suppose the update did end at 12:00...

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I like all three of our new friends.

Also, Gin named his bar after his real name and took the name of a drink as a nickname. That's pretty cool.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

theshim posted:

We have met two of the best characters and one of the worst.

(I am also trying very hard not to make Overwatch references now.)

Hey, Haru's no Keisuke, but she's not that bad!

How Keisuke got a COMP was elaborated on in supplementary material. I thought it was a neat scene for both him and Naoya.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
One of the cool touches in the auction is that demons have different recruitment lines depending on their rank. 1 or 2 star demons act lazy and incompetent whereas 4 or 5 star demons are all pumped up and confident.

Also I like the cast of this game, they're almost all pretty memorable one way or another.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Oh cool, it's another LP of this game. Hope this one makes it all the way. This was actually my intro to SMT in general.

Thought I should note in the update with the Shomonkai member:

ChaosArgate posted:

[ShomonkaiM]: Ugh... Lady Amane... I’m so sorry...

I found it interesting how the auction changed in Overclocked. In the base game, I abused the ability to keep rebidding and the fact that time pauses briefly to always get the demon I wanted, continually just rebidding the minimum needed - in practice, this was me just spamming A through the whole thing. I tried that in Overclocked with my first demon, and the results weren't so hot. From what I remember (it's been a while, and I might slot mine in again later to check), it runs something like Final Bidding. You get one bid, and the others signal about how close to a certain expected price they're going to tread. This was a lot harder to abuse, for obvious reasons.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Cyouni posted:

Thought I should note in the update with the Shomonkai member:

Got it, thanks! Dunno how that slipped under the radar, but oh well, what's done is done.

Cyouni posted:

I found it interesting how the auction changed in Overclocked. In the base game, I abused the ability to keep rebidding and the fact that time pauses briefly to always get the demon I wanted, continually just rebidding the minimum needed - in practice, this was me just spamming A through the whole thing. I tried that in Overclocked with my first demon, and the results weren't so hot. From what I remember (it's been a while, and I might slot mine in again later to check), it runs something like Final Bidding. You get one bid, and the others signal about how close to a certain expected price they're going to tread. This was a lot harder to abuse, for obvious reasons.

You're actually thinking of the Devil Survivor 2 auction. Overclocked's system is exactly the same as the original.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

ChaosArgate posted:

You're actually thinking of the Devil Survivor 2 auction. Overclocked's system is exactly the same as the original.

Huh. So it is. Either way, first game's system threw me off for second game's after being so easy to abuse.

I may have also ran with a Str/Vit MC the first time through the game on Chaos route, with no extra recruited characters. This may have ended up being a bad idea, for reasons obvious to everyone who played through that.

  • Locked thread