SkinCrawling
Oct 9, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

I never encountered that ACCIDENT event at the auction! Does it still occur in Overclocked?

Yupp, I have encountered it a few times, guess you got kinda lucky.

Also the title screen in this version is way cooler than Overclocked because it's very similar to the one in SMT Nocturne:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Anyway Phones roasts that last Kobold and gets another level out of it.

Hey, those clothes... She must be from that Shomonkai sect!

Why’re they fighting demons!?

On your allies’ turns, you can open the system menu by pressing START.

I'm a bit behind on the updates but I can't help but feel like this is a bit out of place.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

SkinCrawling posted:

Yupp, I have encountered it a few times, guess you got kinda lucky.

Also the title screen in this version is way cooler than Overclocked because it's very similar to the one in SMT Nocturne:

I've legitimately never noticed that, that's really cool!

RareAcumen posted:

I'm a bit behind on the updates but I can't help but feel like this is a bit out of place.

Got it, thanks!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I know that the subtitle for DS 2's remake, Record Breaker, is important (It's referring to one of the endings of the Triangulum Arc) but does Overclocked have anything like that?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Yes. Overclocked refers to the 8th day scenarios being an extension of the original 7. In other words, the 8th days go over the clock of the original version.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

ChaosArgate posted:

Yes. Overclocked refers to the 8th day scenarios being an extension of the original 7. In other words, the 8th days go over the clock of the original version.

Ah. Plus it's a computing pun (To overclock a computer is to modify it with custom hard/software to make it run faster or give it a new function (like a Demon Summoning program))

Frozenzen
Mar 26, 2016
Devil survivor has to be one of my favorite games ever. If I find the time I may do a challenge run replay along with this LP and and finally see if I can finish up the new overclocked content in a no free battle playthrough. Not doing free battles is pretty fun since it forces you to really think about what to fuse and buy. And knowing exactly how each boss works helps as well, so you can plan ahead. Last time I did it I gave up in the middle of the new stuff overclocked added and grinded a bit.

Will you be showing off all endings, or just one that is voted forward?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I'm gonna try to go all endings, including 8th day stuff. I can get 3DS screenshots fairly easily with my homebrew COMP 3DS XL, but I don't have precise control over my footage like I do with DS video recording. Still, it should be managable for the new stuff.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

ChaosArgate posted:

I'm gonna try to go all endings, including 8th day stuff. I can get 3DS screenshots fairly easily with my homebrew COMP 3DS XL, but I don't have precise control over my footage like I do with DS video recording. Still, it should be managable for the new stuff.

That's good to hear. The remake adds a lot. Although it does create inconsistencies as well (some actually good, some not).

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Welcome back, it's time for a fight. We're gonna have a bit of a short update, but that's more because doing the next event would probably make this a really long one.

As you move forward, you see someone resembling Naoya duck into a side street...

: Hey, Phones! Wasn't that Naoya?

: How can you be so calm!? If we don't hurry, we're gonna lose him!

: He's over there!

There's a quick fade out of Naoya being depicted here. Seems we've barely missed him.

: I saw someone go over there, and it looked like Naoya!

: Alright! Let's go after him!

Hmm. These demons might be a problem.

: What!? Why are there so many demons out in broad daylight!?

: Maybe they don't care what time of day it is...

: ...Well, whatever! We've gotta do something about them! What's the plan, Phones?

: Well, we won't find Naoya until we deal with these guys!

: That's the safest way. If we don't defeat them, they'll probably come after us.

This mission is actually slightly different if you choose not to pursue Naoya. Instead of this being a rout mission, your objective is just to run away by getting everyone safely to a certain tile on the map.

Also, new song! It's the generic map theme. It's a nice change of pace from Pinch Battle, but eh.

Over on the lower right part of the map, we have some new enemies, Moh Shuvuus. They're the first Flight Order demons we can see, which allows their whole team to move one additional space per turn. Additionally, they allow that team to completely ignore obstacles on the field. Handy for Yuzu! The Flight racial skill doesn't stack though, so you can't stick two on a team to move two extra squares. Aside from the Moh Shuvuus, there's a pair of pixies on the upper left side of the map and a kobold where Naoya went. We'll be dealing with them all fairly easily.

This is going to be our starting set up. Yuzu is in range of the closest shuvuu, Phones can work on the upper right side while Atsuro can worry about the pixies.

: Hey guys! Be careful of where you are in relation to the demons! If they surround someone who's all alone, it'll be dangerous!

: I-I know! We have to work together, so let's think our moves out carefully!

: Screw being a good sport! They'll go down faster if we gang up on them! If you get surrounded, try to defeat the weak ones so you can break through!

A movement gauge is displayed on the Touch Screen, indicated by the face icons at the top.

The icons represent the turn order in battle, from left to right.

When you choose a command such as Move, a red arrow will indicate your next turn.

Please be wary of when you will act next as you plot your actions.

Take care not to get anyone surrounded, they'll probably get wiped if they do. Though, that goes both ways; if you can surround an enemy, they're dogmeat.

Anyway, Yuzu's going to go ahead and try to bash this demon's face in.

: I'm... I'm not scared... I have to keep telling myself that...

It... didn't quite work. She's almost got it though! Really, the problem here was that this demon Drains the only offensive magic that Yuzu's team has, which was poor planning on my part, but it's no big deal.

Based on your performance, you have gained battle experience. Macca Bonus will be enhanced.

: Whoa! What's it talking about?

Your Macca Bonus is based on your performance in battle. You may gain more Macca if:

You get extra turns during battle, sustain low damage, or defeat many foes at once.

Conversely, if an ally falls, or your attacks fail, you may get less Macca.

: So we have to defeat them without getting hurt, or get extra turns. In other words, we have to be at an advantage. So let's see what we can do!

Yuzu has a version of this line where she says the same thing, but I'm not sure how you'd actually trigger that, since the game defaults to Atsuro, who is always deployed on this map and can never die before this message triggers. It's probably a failsafe.

After battle, bonus results will appear on the COMP.

The meaning of each bonus will be detailed later via email.

Anyway Phones is gonna take a swing at this team.

It goes considerably better and he overwhelms the enemy to earn another point of Magic.

Thanks to Kabuso's Animal Leg racial skill, I can move Phones again after a battle, so I move him back to start. Too bad we can't collect $200. Atsuro opens his turn by going after this pixie. I think he could've reached the other one, but that one has a full team, I think, and this one just has one Ogre for support.

: I have to calm down... Remember what happened yesterday...

Needless to say, Atsuro won. Completely. He got a point of Strength for his troubles. Using Animal Leg, he's going to move just over here to stay out of reach of the Pixie. I'm going to have him attack on his next turn anyway, but I'm keeping him out of reach because the team that initiates an attack gets an initiative boost, so they're more likely to go first. Also, there's a bit of a step directly between Atsuro and the Pixie, so the Pixie can't just go directly to him.

Huh. Moh Shuvuu's name doesn't fit properly in the box. It tries to ice Team Yuzu, but thanks to the pre-battle Dia, pretty much nothing happened this round. Also in the first of these two screens, you'll notice that the Pixie that I moved Atsuro juuuust out of range of is moving before Atsuro, even after taking its own turn, so poor planning foiled my plans again. Not a big deal.

Yuzu uses her turn to finally drop this demon and gets a Vi level out of it.

New demon! It's the first Wilder demon, Waira. It'll demo its racial skill soon enough; it's a really useful one. For now though, Yuzu moves back up to here and heals herself up.

That Pixie finally moves up to attack Atsuro. The Ogres its flanked by almost take out Atsuro's Pixie, but thankfully didn't, so this is where that battle stands.

Phones moves up to prepare for the upper half of the map and Atsuro attacks the Pixie. He wins, but the screenshot here is demonstrating the side effect of Zio. Occasionally, Zio can paralyze an enemy for the rest of the battle and when that happens, it can no longer take actions in that fight. Additionally, paralyzed enemies will always suffer critical hits if physical attacks are used on them. Every electric element attack has a chance of doing this. There's a frozen status effect caused by the ice element spells that's pretty much identical too, which is why I tend to prefer Ice and Elec spells in the Devil Survivor games.

Atsuro moves up a little because he was bound by one of the Pixie's Ogres and the Kobold uses an Ogre to do the same to Phones. :argh:

Waira's using Devil's Speed, which bumps up your movement range to 7. Remember how the game told us Devil's Speed can help us out of a bind? This is how. It costs a small percentage of HP to use, but the results are pretty much worth it. As a bonus, Devil's Speed grants an initiative bonus to the team if they happen to get into a fight that round. It's a really good skill.

Regardless, it's still not close enough to the action, so it just moves up a little bit. Phones moves up to and drops the Kobold so all that's left is the Waira.

I was expecting the Waira to just attack Phones, but I guess he really wanted to go for Yuzu instead. Fucker got her Pixie, too.

Well the plan was to replace Pixie with something that had type advantage over Waira, but that didn't work out quite the way I wanted. Also, goddammit Yuzu, you paralyzed it at the very end where it's pointless! :argh:

Whatever, Atsuro can do it.

: A-Alright...! We did it...

: *sigh* We lost him. Back to square one for us...

: Why'd the demons start showing up? What's with that crazy auction? The questions keep piling up. We have to find him...

: I'd like to give him a piece of my mind, too! It's his fault we're in trouble!

What's complaining to him going to do? At least he gave us the tools and tips we need to survive.

: Oh yeah... That might be a better plan.

I'm preserving this one as an image. :allears:

: *sigh* I guess everyone lives for something...

: D-Don't give me that look... Hey Phones, does the death clock still say 0? It hasn't gone up, has it...?

: I had a feeling you'd say that... We can't find a way out, the death clock's stuck on 0, and the hours march on...

: drat it! What're we supposed to do!?

: Hm? We've got mail...

: Oh yeah... Something like that came up on the COMP, didn't it?

quote:

From: COMP.sys
Subject: Skill Set Bonus

The new Skill Set Bonus function is now available. If certain conditions are met during battle, you will be able to set any command skill already registered in the COMP on a demon. Please note that the key to this function, an energy known as Magnetite, is still relatively unknown and we are continuing to experiment with it.
[Current Information]
  • Magnetite is believed to be a type of vital energy.
  • The Skill Set Bonus involves charging large amounts of Magnetite with the COMP and releasing it to affect your demons' abilities.
  • It is believed that Magnetite charges faster if you fight efficiently, the same way Macca Bonus is generated.

quote:

From: COMP.sys
Subject: Macca Bonus

The Macca Bonus increases the amount of Macca earned based on various situations that occur in battle. These are the calculations used to provide bonuses. In the case of a negative result, Macca will not be deducted from your total.

Technical +5% x turns
Extra turns you gain plus extra turns the enemies lost.
No Damage +20%
Finish a battle without taking damage.
Overwhelm +30%
Defeat 3 enemies with a single attack.
Casualty -30% x victim
An ally dies during the battle.
Shield +20%
An ally Voids, Reflects, or Absorbs an attack: +20%
If an enemy does: -20%
Note: the maximum per battle is 20% or -20%.

So now the game can fully elaborate on the bonuses we can earn now. Skill Set Bonuses kind of just trigger randomly and there's no real way to track your progress towards the next one, so I just kind of don't plan for them. They can only affect command skills anyway, passives are untouchable. They allow you to overwrite one of the demons in the user's teams' command skill slot with a skill that you have access to. Each team leader has their own hidden magnetite count and you can't store a Skill Set Bonus if you decide you don't want to make use of it when you get it.

The Macca Bonus is a little easier to deal with since it tangibly rewards you for doing well in battles. It's also nice that you can't get penalized for doing really poorly in a fight. Also, the definition for the overwhelm bonus is a bit misleading; you don't have to drop an entire enemy team with one shot, you just have to do it with one skirmish.

One last tidbit, Magnetite is a vital demon energy, as the email says, but its importance in other entries of the series is pretty downplayed in modern games starting from around Nocturne. Magnetite was an energy source that you earned from battles that determined how long you could keep demons summoned. It was a bit of a restricting mechanic and often made it prohibitive to keep more than 2 out of a possible 4 demons summoned at once.

: So something called a Skill Set Bonus has been added on top of the Macca Bonus... It's more to worry about in battle, but if we play our cards right, it could pay off.

We're just going to skip Atsuro's summary of the bonuses since I'm here. They're not terribly difficult to understand though.

: This is such a guy thing... You better not do anything risky going after this stuff!

Please, we get these just for doing well, we don't have to go out of our way to get them.

: Y'know, it just occurred to me... Who's sending these emails?

: You think so? It sounds like someone completely different to me...

: Naoya might not have written them, but the wording and such should be based on his. Like robots with AI personalities... Their code is still written by humans. These advice emails might be generated by a program that Naoya created. Like, when you write software for general use, you gotta leave documentation. The emails are so impersonal because they're general documentation... Which means this Demon Summoning Program was always meant for third-party use.

: Hmm... I wonder. You think it was meant for us three...?

Let's go check out the Yamanote line again, now that our lead has dried up.

: *sigh* This place is no good either. There were SDF guards all the way to Ikebukuro... I'm exhausted from all this walking... I can feel the sweat pooling in my shoes.

: Better sweaty than dead.

: What the...!? You don't have to say it like that!

: ...Sorry. I'm getting a little nervous...

: It's okay. I'm sorry I snapped back. Let's decide what we're going to do from here.

: Yeah, good idea.

: Hey... Are we really trapped in the Yamanote circle area? Are we going to die just like that email said...?

: Yeah... The west side might be sealed, but there's still the east. Let's keep at it!

I saw a few lines in the script where Atsuro and Yuzu urge you to use the auction to get stronger demons after noting that today's demons were a little stronger. Presumably, these lines appear if you haven't used the auction yet.

quote:

From: NAOYA
Subject: You made it

Yo Kazuya, you still alive?

The Death Clock calculated by the Laplace Mail system may not be absolute, but if the root cause of the events described don't change, it's highly likely that the results will still end up the same.
... That's fate.

I've updated your COMP with a new function attached to this message so that you can face fate and cut your own path. You should be getting an email describing the "Skill Crack" function soon.

I'm looking forward to seeing you again. Keep surviving.

quote:

From: COMP.sys
Subject: Skill Cracks

The Skill Crack is a function that analyzes an enemy's ability and saves it to your COMP.

[NOTES]
  • The enemy selected by the crack must be defeated by the team with the COMP that set it. The crack will be nullified if any other team defeats that enemy.
  • Only a single enemy is targeted by the crack, not the entire enemy team.
  • The target of the crack and the COMP user who is targeting it can be viewed on the top screen.

Well that's a doozy, but hey, now we can get more skills! Skill Cracks are vital to actually getting anywhere with this game, so I'll quickly demo it at the end of the update.

: *sigh* I really don't get what Naoya's up to. He got us into this mess, but he's still doing everything he can to help us...

: You got that right... If he cares that much, he shoulda made sure we weren't in the lockdown to begin with.

I'm not sure that Naoya knows the meaning of the word "surprise," just going off of how he's been described thus far. He seems to have predicted everything that's happened to us so far.

: Yeah, that's for sure.

: Either he can't tell us or the time's not right yet. No way for us to know...

: Yeah...

: Hey, those Skill things come in pretty handy, don't they? If that function can get us more of those, that'll be a huge help!

: It might even increase our chances of survival...!

: That Skill Crack thing? Only someone who knew about demons could program that in... I wonder just how much Naoya knows about demons.

: Yeah, I guess that'd be the best way, huh?

: Yeah... Let's find Naoya. We need to get information straight from the source. Put it on the list of things to ask him when we find him.

: Though we have to do something about the number on the death clock first...

: Yeah. We'll have to use every trick in the book to survive that long...

Alright, that's about all the story we're going to do this time. Next time, we'll check out this battle at 13:00, but for now, let's go do a free battle so I can demo Skill Cracks. Also, I took a bit of time to buy some demons at the auction since I want to keep my teams at a decent level. I'll go into more about that next time though, since there's something then that'll help illustrate my point better.

Now we have the Skill Crack option available to us in battle prep. Select it, and...

You're given a choice of what skill you want to crack, who you want to crack it and what demon you want to crack it from. If you want to be super efficient about it, then you should assign different cracks to everyone; if you want to make absolutely sure you get a skill, then everyone should be assigned to the same skill. Between major battles, make sure to do a few free battles to collect as many skills as you can.

I had Yuzu go crack Zan from the Pixie back here. After a successful crack, if the party leader that earned the skill meets the stat requirements for the skill, they're given the option to equip it then and there. It can be handy, but it's never absolutely necessary. Anyway, that about wraps up this update, I'll see you guys next time.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 8, 2016

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Devil Speed is why I never minded Yuzu's 3 movement all that much. If I remember quickly, on a lot of maps you generally have a good reason to move fast ANYWAYS. Her 52 speed is a slight bonus to that, and since movement gets set to 7 it removes her penalty.

Granted, there's dry spells where you don't have a up-to-date Devil Speed, but I always kept an outdated one for emergency movement for a turn or two.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So...
What's Naoya's endgame? My RPG trope senses tell me that he wants us to get stronger so we can... defeat something that he finds bothersome? Maybe's he's manipulating us?

Oh, Skill Cracking. It's like Blue Magic, except good!

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Junpei posted:

So...
What's Naoya's endgame? My RPG trope senses tell me that he wants us to get stronger so we can... defeat something that he finds bothersome? Maybe's he's manipulating us?

he's an anime douchebag with a long coat

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Keldulas posted:

Devil Speed is why I never minded Yuzu's 3 movement all that much. If I remember quickly, on a lot of maps you generally have a good reason to move fast ANYWAYS. Her 52 speed is a slight bonus to that, and since movement gets set to 7 it removes her penalty.

Granted, there's dry spells where you don't have a up-to-date Devil Speed, but I always kept an outdated one for emergency movement for a turn or two.

Devil Speed is absolutely vital to success in a few missions. They're still possible without it, but your life will be an unrelenting hell doing so.

Seyser Koze posted:

he's an anime douchebag with a long coat

Isn't that just what the goon you're replying to just said?

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Junpei posted:

Oh, Skill Cracking. It's like Blue Magic, except good!

OI! FF9 would like a word with you! Blue Magic can crack that game WIDE loving open, specially if you save scum for a 1HP Blue Mage and then Limit Glove Grand Dragons forever. Or failing patience for that, Level 5 Death.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Kemix posted:

OI! FF9 would like a word with you! Blue Magic can crack that game WIDE loving open, specially if you save scum for a 1HP Blue Mage and then Limit Glove Grand Dragons forever. Or failing patience for that, Level 5 Death.

FF5 also had really powerful blue magic, and some of the best were pretty easy to get. Blue Mage is up there with Chemist for desirable FJF jobs because it trivializes a ton of bosses with just a bit of planning.

Skill Cracking is insanely good, particularly the passives; I've been making a point of cracking every skill I come across in my playthrough because it makes things so much more manageable. I do wonder if it'd be possible to beat the game without cracking skills, though... Seems like it would get pretty rough going pretty quickly.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
A couple things you didn't mention: Flight and Devil Speed both have secondary effects. Flight lets the team ignore obstacles in addition to the +1 movement, and Devil Speed gives you a huge priority boost if you get into a fight that turn.

Because they both needed to be better, you see.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I was... less than diligent about skill cracking on my first playthrough. I had kind of a bad time. As it is, I'm still missing ONE lousy skill even after multiple playthroughs and I have no idea where it is.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Like Clockwork posted:

FF5 also had really powerful blue magic, and some of the best were pretty easy to get. Blue Mage is up there with Chemist for desirable FJF jobs because it trivializes a ton of bosses with just a bit of planning.

Skill Cracking is insanely good, particularly the passives; I've been making a point of cracking every skill I come across in my playthrough because it makes things so much more manageable. I do wonder if it'd be possible to beat the game without cracking skills, though... Seems like it would get pretty rough going pretty quickly.

Given that would make you play only physical characters to be even partially relevant, I don't think that'd be very likely. Even then, not having the skills which make physical characters viable... Playing four phys characters without Phys Jump or Pierce sounds painful lategame when most things have Phys Resist, Null, or Drain. I don't even think you get that many "physical" characters, and even then you'll run into issues as soon as anything has Phys Resist. I did it with two, with some of the supporting skills, and even then had pretty major difficulties.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So once you crack a skill, can you set it to anyone once the battle is over or is it only for that specific character?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

RareAcumen posted:

So once you crack a skill, can you set it to anyone once the battle is over or is it only for that specific character?
Anyone who meets the stat requirements. It goes into your pool of assignable skills.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Like Clockwork posted:

FF5 also had really powerful blue magic, and some of the best were pretty easy to get. Blue Mage is up there with Chemist for desirable FJF jobs because it trivializes a ton of bosses with just a bit of planning.

Skill Cracking is insanely good, particularly the passives; I've been making a point of cracking every skill I come across in my playthrough because it makes things so much more manageable. I do wonder if it'd be possible to beat the game without cracking skills, though... Seems like it would get pretty rough going pretty quickly.

It's good practice to hop into free battles until you can't crack anymore skills before moving on, on a clean run. I don't think it'd be a very good idea to play the game without cracking at all, but I don't think it'd be outright impossible either as long as you're really on the ball with your demons. The bosses get hard but a good demon loadout can mitigate your own lack of skills. That being said, the DS version of this game is really bad for physical characters and without the passive skills that help them out, well they're hosed.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SC Bracer posted:

It's good practice to hop into free battles until you can't crack anymore skills before moving on, on a clean run. I don't think it'd be a very good idea to play the game without cracking at all, but I don't think it'd be outright impossible either as long as you're really on the ball with your demons. The bosses get hard but a good demon loadout can mitigate your own lack of skills. That being said, the DS version of this game is really bad for physical characters and without the passive skills that help them out, well they're hosed.

More importantly, using free battles to grid out the more common cracked skills allows you to focus on the rare skills that bosses and a certain type of enemy have.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

theshim posted:

A couple things you didn't mention: Flight and Devil Speed both have secondary effects. Flight lets the team ignore obstacles in addition to the +1 movement, and Devil Speed gives you a huge priority boost if you get into a fight that turn.

Because they both needed to be better, you see.

Forgot about those, thanks! I legitimately didn't know Devil Speed had that secondary effect, so thanks!

Frozenzen
Mar 26, 2016

Silver Falcon posted:

I was... less than diligent about skill cracking on my first playthrough. I had kind of a bad time. As it is, I'm still missing ONE lousy skill even after multiple playthroughs and I have no idea where it is.

One skill is only available in a single fight on one path if I recall correctly. In the original game at least, it might be available in some of the overclocked content.

The chaos path, one of the first fights in it.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I think one of them is only available in a Free Battle, as well. Specific one from memory: Free battle on Day 7, just before Belberith.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Argate, how about at the start/end of each update you give a "Here's the skills I Cracked offscreen and what they do, plus who I gave them to" bit? Were you planning on doing that or something similar?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Junpei posted:

Argate, how about at the start/end of each update you give a "Here's the skills I Cracked offscreen and what they do, plus who I gave them to" bit? Were you planning on doing that or something similar?

I wasn't but that's mostly because that's a lot of effort for something that isn't terribly important. I'll cover the skill cracks that happen in major battles and the skills I actually use, but beyond that, I'm probably not going to go into the nitty gritty of what each skill does. Anyway, I'm almost done with the next update, I just need to put together the audio stuff. I've been a bit busy the past week, so LP kind of took a back seat. Looking to have it done either tomorrow or Saturday.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Awww heck yes, I love this game, definitely the game I've played to completion the most number of times. It's also good to know that I'm not alone in camp of people that freely admit the sequel is superior in every way but still prefer this game. I'm interested to see what sorts of team setups other people like, since I tend to use a pretty similar setup almost every playthrough (one Double Up/Animal Leg team, one Evil Wave/Tyrrany team)

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Awww heck yes, I love this game, definitely the game I've played to completion the most number of times. It's also good to know that I'm not alone in camp of people that freely admit the sequel is superior in every way but still prefer this game. I'm interested to see what sorts of team setups other people like, since I tend to use a pretty similar setup almost every playthrough (one Double Up/Animal Leg team, one Evil Wave/Tyrrany team)

You mean besides the plot right?

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Hunt11 posted:

You mean besides the plot right?

Truth right here. The first game had a way better plot.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Frozenzen posted:

One skill is only available in a single fight on one path if I recall correctly. In the original game at least, it might be available in some of the overclocked content.

The chaos path, one of the first fights in it.

That's probably the one I missed. I haven't actually finished that path, and at this point I probably won't. I'm kinda done with this game, fun as it is.

I really ought to pick the sequel back up, though. I haven't gotten very far into it.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Hunt11 posted:

You mean besides the plot right?

Yeah, should have mentioned that. Aside from the plot just being good in general, the neatest part about Devil Survivor's story is the breadcrumb trails of key plotpoints that are totally missable. DeSu2 handed the plot to you and substituted all the "branching" with Social Links, which were a good addition in their own right but not as a total replacement for the feeling that you were solving the game's mystery yourself. There's one minor gripe I have with two of the characters in this game but I'll mention that when they come up.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah, should have mentioned that. Aside from the plot just being good in general, the neatest part about Devil Survivor's story is the breadcrumb trails of key plotpoints that are totally missable. DeSu2 handed the plot to you and substituted all the "branching" with Social Links, which were a good addition in their own right but not as a total replacement for the feeling that you were solving the game's mystery yourself. There's one minor gripe I have with two of the characters in this game but I'll mention that when they come up.

That and the sheer sense of desperation that the plot manages to convey. The classic example comes up on a later day, but even on the first true day it feels like a battle just to survive, not some minor inconvenience as you crash with a secret organization with almost unlimited resources.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Thanks for doing this LP. I played through this game a number of years ago, but I ended up peetering out due to the grind required by the later game to keep ahead of the curve. I imagine I didn't make it any easier on myself in that way by being an irritating perfectionist about my squad setups (I insisted on having Animal Leg in each squad, which is difficult at times, insisted on making sure weaknesses were covered, etc), but the reality of the situation is that it just took too long to play.

Maybe I should pick the game back up on an emulator and just hack in max macca or something, but until I get it in my head to do that I'll be following this LP.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Coolguye posted:

Thanks for doing this LP. I played through this game a number of years ago, but I ended up peetering out due to the grind required by the later game to keep ahead of the curve. I imagine I didn't make it any easier on myself in that way by being an irritating perfectionist about my squad setups (I insisted on having Animal Leg in each squad, which is difficult at times, insisted on making sure weaknesses were covered, etc), but the reality of the situation is that it just took too long to play.

Maybe I should pick the game back up on an emulator and just hack in max macca or something, but until I get it in my head to do that I'll be following this LP.

Yeah, I just started NG+ and the grind in the late-game is just intolerable your first run (although NG+ mitigates it somewhat). I'm having an easier time grinding late game fusion fodder off early game enemies than I was with the late-game ones. Same EXP, way less effort.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I actually didn't think the endgame/postgame of this game was that bad, but on the other hand I have a lot of experience with SMT games so I had a pretty solid handle on what to expect and how to build. I think the biggest trap you can fall for when pursuing lategame is trying to make an entire team of strong units, which takes way too much time. I just did the chaos route a few months ago and solo'd the final boss at a pretty low level.Granted, I had an elaborate flowchart for making a really good demon to pair with him, but once I had one with all the skills I wanted I just fused it into something else and resummoned so I had two demons with identical skillsets. After beating the 7th day boss, I used the same team to power through day 8 and solo'd that boss too without any additional free battling.

That being said, one of my major complaints with DeSu1 is that almost all of your party members have awful stat distributions and so if you go a sub-optimal build on you MC the game is way harder than it ought to be and you have no easy way to fix it

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
This is not a game that *requires* heavy optimisation of your party in order to succeed. If you want to, go ahead, but running out steam due to grinding too much seems very odd to me.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I've got an update but I'm going to push it to the next page since it's a really big one.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Pushing an update.

  • Locked thread