ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Welcome back, it's time for the Tokyo Dome!

: Is this a theme park? Wow... That brings back memories. My family came here once...

: ......No one's here... It's usually really crowded.

: Hey, Phones, what's your favorite ride?

As you can imagine, this option doesn't really matter.

: Huh...? What's so great about that?

Incidentally, her favorite ride is the ferris wheel.

: Korakuen in Bunkyo-ku... It's famous for the theme park and baseball field. Anyways... Doesn't it feel a little cooler here?

: Yeah, now that you mention it. Is it air conditioned? Maybe it has its own generator...?

An air conditioner shouldn't affect the outside... Something seems fishy.

: I guess, but why would they cool the outside air too? Seems weird...

: You got a point... But you won't hear me complain. At least it's cool here.

: Whew. Now that we beat the heat, I'm getting hungry...

: Oh yeah, it's already lunchtime.

: Oh, crap!

: Atsuro? What's wrong?

: This is the place the email mentioned... And now is about the right time.

: Uh... What?

: Remember what the Laplace Mail said? Murder victims of an abominable snowman...

: Oh, no... Three victims... And the death clock says 0 for us three...!

: Hey, look!

I really wish I could figure out what demon voice clip is what in my files, Wendigo has the most amazing roar in the 3DS version.

: I've found you! You're all mine now!

: Is that... the snowman thing from yesterday!?

: "Localized blizzard will occur"... This is it! The time and place match up!

: drat it...! Look at us! We thought we could escape from our fate... but we ended up running right into it! We made that email a reality all by ourselves!

: It's so hot here... But I'll kill you all anyway!

Oh yeah, Wendigo's a snowman. I suppose its his ice magic that's keeping the area cool, but I wonder how effective it really is.

: Is this really where we die!? Is fate really unavoidable!?

: We control our own destiny! We're going to defeat him!

: I... tried to convince myself I was working so hard... but all I was doing was running... I ran away from things I could fail at, because I was afraid of looking bad if I did!

: But this time... if we fail, it's over, isn't it? ...I'll do it! I don't want to die, so I won't run away! So, please, guys! Stay alive!

You got it, Yuzu! I've got no plans of dying today!

First order of business is to pick a skill crack. Both of these are pretty good cracks! Ice Dance is a multi-hit attack that blasts random enemies 2-5 times, depending on how many enemies there are left, with light attacks from the specified element. Dance spells are king in Devil Survivor. They're not as consistent as some later spells we can get, but on average, I think they do more than a single heavy attack of the corresponding element. The other skill, Anti-Ice, enhances its users resistance to the specified element by 50% if they're either weak to or neutral to that element.

The unfortunate thing is that both cracks are on Wendigo, so I can only choose one. I'm going to go for Ice Dance, and since I can really only get one skill this time around, I'm going to set everyone to crack Ice Dance.

...Wendigo, did you get even weaker since yesterday?

Next up, everyone's in range to wail on the Wendigo in their first moves. Yuzu and Atsuro normally wouldn't be able to make it, but they've both got Waira on their team, so they can easily make it. The rest of the map is just stuff we've already seen, it's the Wendigo that could give us some trouble. Since it's kind of a miniboss, we'll take it out first.

Incidentally, this is what we're working with. Atsuro doesn't have the MP to cast spells for long so he's probably better off sticking with the normal attack command. Yuzu and Phones have offensive spells distributed equally among them.

Huh, look at that, Devil Speed did give an initiative bonus; it's +15 instead of the usual +5!

Yuzu went first to try and get rid of those Moh Shuvuus, but she couldn't because she didn't proc an Extra Turn. Oh well, we can cripple Wendigo's mobility next turn.

Phones drops the Moh Shuvuu, as expected, but he unexpectedly went first among the entire party, so he didn't proc an Extra Turn either and Wendigo lives further on. One thing I want to point out is that despite Kabuso blasting Wendigo with its weakness, fire, it's taking a pittance for damage. This is because Devil Survivor factors in a demon's initial level for damage calculation, which is something I was hinting at last update. Simply put, the longer you try to use a demon, the less useful it becomes, so be sure to rotate out your demons often. Also, probably not a bad idea to not bring a weak demon that started at level 2 to a level 17 fight.

We'll wrap up Phones' turn by binding the Wendigo for reasons™, so Atsuro takes a swing at him and brings him to the ropes.

: Noooo... How could a human defeat me!?

: Alright, we can do this! Let's drop these guys! If destiny is telling us to die, let's change that!

After Wendigo makes that remark, he starts retreating, so I thought I'd do the clever thing and keep him from moving forward. This is actually a bad move, as we'll see shortly.

:argh: drat Shuvuu got two turns and moved right next to the Wendigo. If I didn't move Atsuro, I think she wouldn't have been able to reach. Oh well.

Next, the Shuvuu decides it has a bone to pick with Phones, who is only too happy to oblige in crippling its defenses.

Now that Wendigo is no longer at yellow health, it stops running and comes back to fight Yuzu who brings it back down to yellow.

And that's all she wrote; Atsuro beat the Wendigo and earns a nice Ice Dance for the team. Incidentally, Ice Dance requires 8 Ma and 6 Ag to equip.

: Graaah!

: Alright! We survived!

: There're still demons to take care of! I've gotta focus!

: Are you really... humans!? Wendigo was weakened, but you did defeat a strong foe!

This line actually affects what happens next!

: Arrogant human! I'll show you!

The other option would have this demon run away because it has better things to do than be swatted.

Not too much else of interest happens for the rest of the fight, but Phones got a level that I put into Ag right away so that he could start Ice Dancing right when the fight ends.

Oh right, this happened too. Phones maxed out his Magnetite, so I used that to overwrite Kabuso's empty skill slot with Zio. You can use any command skill slot though, it doesn't have to be empty.

And that's all she wrote. Back to our regularly scheduled story.

: Whoooo! We did it! We really did it! We're still alive...!

: Yeah! We kicked that snowman's tail! We'll be okay now, right...?

: I mean, we were the ones mentioned in the email... But we cheated death!

: Hey, yeah! Quick, Phones! What does the death clock say now?

: Huh? Well, it's 2, but...

Man Atsuro, did you really need to do out 0 + 2?

: W-Wait... It's up to 2 now!?

: 2 days, huh...? At least we bought some more time. Let's use those 2 days to find a way out of the Yamanote circle!

: Right! Two days should be all we need to find a way out!

: Yeah! We changed our fate, so finding a way out should be cake!

: Oh, one thing, though... I forgot to tell you guys!

: Wh-What...!? Quit scaring me like that!

: Sorry, but I only realized it a moment ago. We've got a problem...

: Wh-What do you mean, a problem...?

: We're forgetting something important. We absolutely need these COMPs to fight, right?

: Huh? Uh, yeah...?

: The COMPs run on rechargeable batteries. But there's a blackout right now...

Frankly, I'm surprised the COMPs lasted as long as they did. You may also note that the upper left of the bottom screen has a battery indicator icon telling us that we're low on juice. This is really only important until we resolve the battery issue once, from which point the battery icon is just fluff. It'd be cool though if that battery icon was an indicator of your (3)DS's actual battery!

: What're we gonna do!? Hey, Phones!

: Why don't we try going to Akihabara? We can look for a hand-powered charger and a way out of the lockdown at the same time!

Well, now that we're not right at death's door, let's go figure out the whole charger situation and chat with Keisuke again.

: Looks like we can't get out this way either...

: Just like Shibuya and Shinjuku. Has the entire Yamanote line been locked down?

Finding a way out is looking more and more dire, but we have more pressing matters.

: Yeah. We've gotta at least find a charger, or we came all this way for nothing!

Every store in Electric Town seems to be shuttered...

: drat... All the stores are closed! At least one's gotta be open somewhere...!

: Wait a sec, is that... Keisuke!?

: A-Atsuro? Why are all of you here...?

: We came looking for something...

: Huh? What's that you've got there...?

: Alright, out with it, Keisuke! Where can we get one!?

: ...You're looking for one that's COMP-compatible, aren't you?

: Yep! We have to charge our COMPs or we're sunk!

: I see... All right. I'll take you there. This way...

You follow Keisuke to a back- alley store where you obtain a charger...

: That's... what you needed, right?

: It's not a problem. We have to help one another when we're in trouble.

: We sure owe you for this! Thanks, Keisuke!

: You people are amazing... I've never seen anyone like you.

: Huh...?

: Your death clock... It used to say 0, but now it's 2. You changed your fate...

: Yes... I, too, have a COMP. It's most likely the same modded version as yours...

: ......! The nerve of you, running away when you saw our death clocks!

: Yuzu! Cut it out...!

: No, it's all right, Atsuro. It's true... I ran away from you all...

: Keisuke...

: By way of apology, I'll tell you this. Did you meet anyone on your way here...?

: Huh? Well... Yeah, we ran into a couple of people...

: As of now, no one within the Yamanote circle has more than 6 days to live. At least no one that I've seen...

: No one who'll live longer than 6 days...? What're you saying?

I smell a conspiracy!

: ......! Wh-What does that mean? Like what, exactly!?

: I don't know for sure. All I can definitely say is this... Some kind of catastrophe will occur after 6 days. Everyone in the lockdown... will die.

: I... I can't believe this...!

: Believe it or don't, but it's not a malfunction in the death clock. I know, because almost none of the SDF guards have any death clock readings at all.

: Are you serious? Th-That'd mean...

: It seems so. Whatever's coming in 6 days will only affect the Yamanote circle. Once it happens... We'll all be annihilated.

: ...Now do you understand? I'm sorry... I have to go.

Keisuke is about to leave...

: Haha... You're too nice. Did you forget how I ran when your death clock said 0?

: Well, mine says 1 now, doesn't it? If I stay with you, I may end up dragging you down.

Not necessarily!

: Even if we survive the next 2 days, we'll all die if the coming disaster isn't stopped. And if we can't... the only way to survive will be to get outside the Yamanote circle.

: H-Hey...! Keisuke!

: He's gone... I feel kind of bad for making him say all that...

: Nah... That's how he is. Something happened to change him, but he's still looking out for the little guy.

: Yeah... Although... I wonder if what he said was true...

: How everyone has 6 days left? Given the situation, it's hard to dismiss it out of hand...

: But... What could happen that would kill everyone inside the Yamanote circle?

: I dunno...

: But it sounds like we'd better keep that in mind, too.

: Yeah... If we do find a way out, let's not keep it to ourselves, okay?

quote:

From: COMP.sys
Subject: Cath.exe

The program Cath.exe has been downloaded to your COMP.

The Cathedral of Shadows is an organization that has existed for many years for the purpose of fusing demons together in order to create new demons. This program allows you to remotely access the Cathedral of Shadows network and fuse the demons currently registered to your COMP. Use this to create more powerful demons.

[Notes]
  • Two demons are fused to create a new demon.
  • Pre-fusion skills can be carried over.
  • Defined rules determine which skills are carried over through fusions.
  • Powerful demons not available through the Devil Auction can be created with fusion.

Oh boy, demon fusion is available to us now! This is a hallmark of the SMT series, so I'll do a short overview of it at the end of the update.

: First the auction, and now "fusion"? What's this about changing to another demon?

: I don't get this! Everything that seemed like common sense is falling apart! Looks like the ordinary rules just don't apply when it comes to demons...

: But without their powers, we'd have gotten iced by that snowman.

: Sure, but it's the same demons that might kill us, right? I'm really not sure how I feel about that!

: Is Naoya just toying with us?

He's been giving us so much help in survival that at this point, it's probably too late to think he's toying with us. Also, something like this seems a bit much for one single guy to engineer.

: Yeah, me too. He's been teaching us these things to help us survive... He probably cooked up this fusion function because he was worried about us.

: "You have to create strong demons, or you won't be able to stay alive!"

: ...That's what he means, right?

: You're asking the wrong guy. But still, this is good for us, isn't it?

: *sigh* We'll have to work on mastering our COMPs, huh...?

: Yikes. I'm really not up for that. Let's work even harder to find a way out!

Alright, now that we've got a full battery, all these options open up! We're gonna go check out two of these scenes, then we'll look at our new program.

: Awww... How am I supposed to get back home nowww!?

: (Whoa! Check out the outfit on her! Is she cosplaying as something...!?)

: Heeeey... You were staring at me just now, weren't you?

: (Oops!)

Don't mind us, we don't mean any harm.

: Oh, you like my costume? I'm cosplaying to show it off, so stare alllll you want! But the truth is, I'm wearing it 'cause I had an event to go to yesterday.

: Even so... Didn't you bring any clothes to change into afterwards?

That's a valid point, a costume like that seems like it could get kind of uncomfy after a while.

: That's just 'cause I didn't think I'd get stuck here like this!

: Besides, I didn't REALLY go all out. It just looks like extra-cool everyday clothes!

Uhhh, sure, we'll go with that.

: Uh... Haha... I guess.

: ANYways, do you know how to get home from here? I walked all the way from Shinjuku...

: You guys haven't found a way out yet, have you?

: Huhhhh? What's that supposed to mean?

: Ohhh well. If you happen to find a way out, let me know!

: I'm Midori Komaki. Nice to meet you!

Finally, I can introduce this girl! This is Midori, she's not a very well liked character for many reasons. Those of you following along with the Overclocked dub have probably picked up on one of them already; she sounds super annoying. Midori is voiced by Erin Fitzgerald, who was one of the voices for Nazz and May Kanker on Ed, Edd n' Eddy back when she lived in Canada and is the current voice of Chie Satonaka in Persona 4. For the record, I think she nailed Midori's voice perfectly, but the problem with that is that she's kind of unpleasant to listen to. I think I saw some tweets from Fitzgerald apologizing for the direction she and the voice director took Midori because a looooot of people really don't like the way the character sounds.

Midori runs off...

: Man, that was some girl...

: What, you didn't realize...? I thought you of all people would figure it out, Atsuro.

: Hey, what's with the sarcasm?

: Wasn't she that famous camgirl? I think her name's Dolly or something... I heard she's popular even among girls, 'cause she's not all stuck up.

Camgirl is not the word I wish they would've gone with here because Midori's 15 or so. :gonk: Yes I know what the word actually means but that word has really specific connotations. Let's leave it at that. Thankfully, Overclocked uses 'cosplayer' instead.

According to Doc V, the term that got translated as "camgirl" is "Net Idol," which doesn't really have an English equivalent.

: No way! R-Really? That girl was Dolly!?

I wonder if her screen name was Dolly in the Japanese version too? It's cute wordplay based on the "-dori" of her given name. According to Doc V, yes it is!

: That went right over my head...! drat, I should've asked for an autograph!

: Ugh... I knew mentioning it around Otakuro would be a bad idea...

: Otakuro!? What's with that all of a sudden...? What's wrong with being an otaku!!?

Last event today. Haru's got some business with this man, so let's see what's up.

: Are you sure? If you put your trust in Shomonkai, everything will be taken care of...

Oh god she's being preached to! :gonk:

: Learn when to quit already. I'm telling you, I'll be fine. Are those ears for show...?

: ...I see. Well, I'll leave you be for today. But should you happen to run into trouble, don't hesitate to rely on us. My name is Azuma. It's been a pleasure meeting you.

After telling Haru his name, the man leaves...

Well, I might as well introduce him too. This is Azuma, he's a Shomonkai man who I barely remember. He's kind of a creep. He's apparently voiced by Dave B. Mitchell, who I really only know from Ace Attorney 5 as Detective Bobby Fulbright and everyone's favorite immortal Judge.

: Who the hell'd rely on you...?

: Hmm? You're the kids who came to my street show this morning...

: Whoa! Do you remember every fan who comes to see you?

: Haha, nah, just a coincidence. Though I've seen you in the crowd pretty often, huh...? You're usually the only one cheering, but you had a couple others with you today. Though one of them didn't seem too into my songs... Hahaha!

Little translation change here for Overclocked; Haru says that she usually sees Yuzu cheering by herself as opposed to how she words it here, where it makes it sound like she's Haru's only fan. Additionally, according to Doc V, Haru specifically noticed that Yuzu was with friends this time in the Japanese version. Also, I mentioned a few updates ago that I thought a later event would differ depending on how you liked Haru's show from earlier; this is that event, but it actually doesn't change depending on Phones' reaction to the show, which leads me to believe that unless he's mad, he's super stoic. Either that or him always wearing his headphones makes it seem like he doesn't really listen.

I haven't had much chance to actually say anything about them and I'm probably not going to get many, so now's a good a time as any, but I like his headphones. They're a bit weird looking and the headband looks really annoying, but they effectively make him look like he's got wireframe cat ears. Take a look next time there's a dialogue choice! The MC wearing an accessory that looks like ears seems to be a DeSu tradition, incidentally, as the DeSu2 MC wears a hood with really long and floppy bunny ears and I love it.

: Come on, Phones! A chance to see a free Haru show doesn't come every day!

: It's okay. Everyone has their own tastes, right...? It's okay.

: Trust me, it's cool. I don't mind at all.

: Oh... By the way, Haru, wasn't that man just now someone from the Shomonkai?

: Who, him? Whatever... He came by and said, "We'll help you if you're ever in trouble." If he wants to help, he'll do something about this blackout. I can't write like this...

: Ahaha... I'm looking forward to hearing what you come up with!

After the introductions, you part with Haru...

So now that we've checked in on Haru, let's take a break from exploring for a sec to check out this new icon in our COMP menu.

This is the main interface for the Cathedral of Shadows, a recurring element in the series that allows demons to fuse together to create newer ones. Almost every SMT game has it in some way, whether it be Victor's Lab in the Devil Summoner games, the Velvet Room in Persona or apps that the user carries around, like in Devil Survivor. We have two options to choose from, so let's check them both out.

Incidentally, I never realized it, but it just hit me that the menu for the Cathedral is probably really plain because it's just a bare-bones homebrew app that doesn't have much in the way of a GUI programmed in.

This is what the fusion screen looks like. We can pick any of the demons in our stock...

Which lets us choose another. If a demon is grayed out after picking the first demon, that means that the fusion result cannot be made at that time.

Once we pick a compatible demon, we're brought to this next screen, which shows us what we'd get. If we haven't seen the demon yet, then we just see its silhouette, but we know everything else about it.

Traditionally, in SMT games, when fusing demons together, the fusion result gets a random assortment of its ingredients' skills. You can try to game the system to force it to give you the skills you want on a certain demon, but it's a pain in the rear end to do so. Devil Survivor does away with this in the best way possible; you can pick what skills you want the resulting demon to inherit. No more going in and backing out of a fusion result to get juuuuuuust the right set of skills! Just pick them off a list! Of course, there are a few restrictions to this. See those skills the demon comes with by default? You can't get rid of those. It's not so bad with command skills, since you can use a Skill Set Bonus to swap out one of those, but the Passive Skills a demon comes with are there to stay.

Anyway I'm not going to make that specific Jambavan. Going back to the stock of demons, once you've selected the first demon, if you press the X button, you can toggle the display from showing your stock to showing what the resulting demon is. It's cool and it saves quite a bit of time! If you need to see what demon fused with the selected one will give a certain result, just hit X again to switch back.

This is the last part of Cath.exe; fusion searching. Basically, you can search for fusion results and the game will tell you what goes into that demon so you don't have to figure out fusion by trial and error. If you can make a demon and you select that result in the search, you're shown different recipes for how you can make it and if you have multiples of a certain fusion ingredient, selecting it will allow you to pick whick one specifically you want to use.

For example, if I went to fuse a Jambavan and had my eyes on the Pixie X Ogre combo again and I had two different Pixies, I could highlight Pixie and pick which of the two I'd sacrifice to make a Jambavan.

To actually demo fusion, I'm going to make a Touki Bilwis out of a Kabuso and a Waira. Neither of them had a passive skill, but I can at least pass on these command skills, even if Bilwis doesn't have nearly enough magic to really use them. Incidentally, if you look on the top screen, you may notice that the St and Ag bars have teal bars at the end of them. Those are bonus stats; if you're fusing components that have bonus stats, the fusion process will distribute those semi-randomly to the result's stats, with preference for the stats the bonuses are actually coming from. If you want, you can game the system by refreshing a fusion result to redistribute stats until you get a decent spread, similar to how skills used to be distributed.

When it's time to fuse, the components will say a little line to you, then their cards combine and create a new demon. Don't think about it very hard.

Anyway, I suppose I should explain the actual mechanics now; when fusing demons, the game averages the two components' level, picks the race of the result from a chart, then determines the species by picking the demon of the race whose level is closest to the average of the components' level, I believe. If you really must see the fusion chart, you can find it on GameFAQs.

In the way of new demons, I made this little fairy too! Type coverage is the name of the game here, and this is how the teams look for the end of the update. See you guys next time!

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 15, 2016

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I actually had a pretty bad time with wendigo the very first time I played this game, back when this was my gateway into SMT. He's not very strong but that HP can be pretty rough if you're not sure what you're doing/you blew all your money on bad demons.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I wonder how Naoya manage to get a virgin's blood inside the COMP for summoning purposes without short-circuiting it.

Keisuke, how do you know your DC (Death Clock) will bring ours down? Maybe we'll bring his up?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Junpei posted:

Keisuke, how do you know your DC (Death Clock) will bring ours down? Maybe we'll bring his up?

Yeah, considering we're the only people who have actively brought that number up, and he's one of the few people to actually be aware of this fact, you'd think he'd logic out that maybe sticking around will help him out instead of him being an albatross.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I'm sure Keisuke realized that the death clocks are a two way street, but he's not exactly optimistic, so I can see why he's keeping his distance.

SC Bracer posted:

I actually had a pretty bad time with wendigo the very first time I played this game, back when this was my gateway into SMT. He's not very strong but that HP can be pretty rough if you're not sure what you're doing/you blew all your money on bad demons.

Same here! Wendigo is kind of like the Shadow Yukiko/Matador/Minotaur/beef gate boss of this game to me where they will gently caress you up something fierce until you learn how to actually play, at which point they get much simpler.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
So ChaosArgate, do you intend to do a 100% fusion list and show them off or just gonna pick and choose who you make for the time being, off screen?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah, SMT games normally have a high difficulty curve near the beginning of the game. The entire point of the combat system is to adjust your team to fit the needs of the current battle, but in the early game you have very limited options to fill your team out. Wendigo is tough since only one human character can have a fire skill, and we have basically no skills meant for Atsuro's physical-based build, but at the same time his total stats are so low he doesn't deal much more basic attack damage than anyone else. I actually hate the Minotaur fight from SMT4 though, since there's not a lot you can do to assemble an anti-phys team, and if he crits once and gains a smirk you lose the fight. Even Matador can be made trivial with a good team, but there's just not a lot of good prepwork you can do for Minotaur.

On an unrelated note, the idea that a demon's base level impacts their damage/defense is something that I couldn't necessarily prove but knew in my heart of hearts was true, since I tend to hold onto demons for a long time. I decided to look into it when I first saw this LP and found someone who did some pretty extensive testing on the matter, and it turns out that it's the demon's current level that impacts their damage/defense, not base level, as apparently a level 99 Pixie will deal the same damage as anyone else at the same level. The main issue is that after a certain number of levels, demons require exponentially more EXP to level up the farther you get from their base level, which will funtionally cap a demons strength unless you use a gameshark or something.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

On an unrelated note, the idea that a demon's base level impacts their damage/defense is something that I couldn't necessarily prove but knew in my heart of hearts was true, since I tend to hold onto demons for a long time. I decided to look into it when I first saw this LP and found someone who did some pretty extensive testing on the matter, and it turns out that it's the demon's current level that impacts their damage/defense, not base level, as apparently a level 99 Pixie will deal the same damage as anyone else at the same level. The main issue is that after a certain number of levels, demons require exponentially more EXP to level up the farther you get from their base level, which will funtionally cap a demons strength unless you use a gameshark or something.

Are you sure it was tested on this game and not Overclocked or DeSu2? From all I remember, a Level 99 Pixie (Base Lv2) will do roughly half as much damage with equivalent stats/skills as a demon that has a Base Lv of 99.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kemix posted:

So ChaosArgate, do you intend to do a 100% fusion list and show them off or just gonna pick and choose who you make for the time being, off screen?

I'm probably just going to show off whatever I fuse that ends up in my active team. There's no real point to getting 100% demons in this game, which is fine by me since there's more than a handful of demons I just don't like for one reason or another. Whenever we get to Overclocked stuff though, I'm definitely going to take the opportunity to show off the exclusive demons, since Overclocked adds a lot of demons and skills.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I hope we save Haru from whatever demon might be gunning for her.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

SC Bracer posted:

I actually had a pretty bad time with wendigo the very first time I played this game, back when this was my gateway into SMT. He's not very strong but that HP can be pretty rough if you're not sure what you're doing/you blew all your money on bad demons.

Incidentally, it was Wendigo that convinced me I needed to grind in this game. I picked up on the fact that the Laplace email was referring to me pretty quick and spent some time figuring out how to shred him up, which took a bit since this was my first SMT game. Since I didn't really understand how enemy aggression works in this game, I also almost lost Yuzu during the assault. So when Cath.exe opened up and I realized the function of stuff like Anti-Ice, you'd better believe I started figuring out how to arrange teams so Animal Leg was mostly/always present (to return to formation with the rest of the team after an attack and prevent surrounds) and weaknesses were covered to maximize Macca gain and prevent deaths in one skirmish. The nature of Extra Turn means that if an enemy gets extra turns against you, a marginal situation is going to deteriorate into a bad one VERY rapidly, so I was being CAREFUL.

It's been so long ago now (I played the original as a relatively new game) that I don't remember if the game ever surprises you again the way it surprises you with Wendigo, but it sure as hell made an impression on me.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 15, 2016

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

[...]

Minotaur is a very different fight style. That one is pretty much the introduction to the -kaja and -kunda line, which if you use the to-hit one on him (Sukukaja) then he becomes a lot less of a threat. Alternately buff your defense and lower his attack, but I think he can lower your defense again so it's not as good.

Wendigo is easy when you know what you're doing, but as a completely new player he's a pain in the rear end. This is even more true of a certain boss later on, who I originally resorted to savescumming on because my teams were fragile as hell. gently caress Basilisks on that map in particular. Especially since the other enemies have a tendency to roadblock you while the Basilisks ping away at your health. I think this is the first map that abuses that Racial.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Coolguye posted:

It's been so long ago now (I played the original as a relatively new game) that I don't remember if the game ever surprises you again the way it surprises you with Wendigo, but it sure as hell made an impression on me.

There's a few dick moves that can trip you up, but there's no sudden difficulty spike like this again, I don't think.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
For me the main difficulty spike was always when you hit Day 7 and suddenly the encounters are all Yaksas as far as the eye can see, which can be a sudden brick wall if you didn't already have a team set up to deal with them.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

My That Boss in SMTIV was not Minotaur; I don't remember having much trouble with him. Medusa, on the other hand, was a road block like whoa. It was my first SMT experience ever and I didn't realize demons can evolve, Pokémon style.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Silver Falcon posted:

My That Boss in SMTIV was not Minotaur; I don't remember having much trouble with him. Medusa, on the other hand, was a road block like whoa. It was my first SMT experience ever and I didn't realize demons can evolve, Pokémon style.
Well, typically they can't. SMT4 added evolution lines for a few demons, but that's not at all the standard.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Silver Falcon posted:

My That Boss in SMTIV was not Minotaur; I don't remember having much trouble with him. Medusa, on the other hand, was a road block like whoa. It was my first SMT experience ever and I didn't realize demons can evolve, Pokémon style.

Evolutions are only a thing in Nocturne and SMT4 so it's not really something most people go into the games expecting.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

SC Bracer posted:

Evolutions are only a thing in Nocturne and SMT4 so it's not really something most people go into the games expecting.

Yeah, pretty much this. Unless you knew about them beforehand or you're particularly bad about cycling a demon out because you like its setup and anything you could fuse it into is objectively worse (both situations have happened to me!), then most players are likely to fuse away those demons before they even get remotely close to evolving.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

I wonder if her screen name was Dolly in the Japanese version too? It's cute wordplay based on the "-dori" of her given name.

Yep, she's Dolly in both. As a side note, the term that got translated as camgirl was net idol.

ChaosArgate posted:

: Haha, nah, just a coincidence. Though I've seen you in the crowd pretty often, huh...? You're usually the only one cheering, but you had a couple others with you today. Though one of them didn't seem too into my songs... Hahaha!

Little translation change here for Overclocked; Haru says that she usually sees Yuzu cheering by herself as opposed to how she words it here, where it makes it sound like she's Haru's only fan.

Yeah, the Overclocked line is much more accurate. There's also a little thing here that doesn't really come across as clearly in the English script: in Japanese, Haru mentions that Yuzu not being alone like usual was the specific reason why she remembered seeing her that morning.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Doc V posted:

Yep, she's Dolly in both. As a side note, the term that got translated as camgirl was net idol.

Yeah, the Overclocked line is much more accurate. There's also a little thing here that doesn't really come across as clearly in the English script: in Japanese, Haru mentions that Yuzu not being alone like usual was the specific reason why she remembered seeing her that morning.

Got it, thanks! I'm not surprised they went with camgirl, since there's not really an equivalent and "Internet Celebrity" is perhaps a bit too long for DS text limitations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
A quick comment on how you handled that map. I am surprised you did't do all you could to give Phones the kill, as due to fusion availability ruining off his level ad story event mechanics, he should always be the highest level leader in your group.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ChaosArgate posted:

"Internet Celebrity"

Thanks. Now I'm envisioning Midori playing lovely screamcam horror games on Youtube. :mad:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

SC Bracer posted:

Evolutions are only a thing in Nocturne and SMT4 so it's not really something most people go into the games expecting.

I see. That makes me feel less dumb for not thinking of that. From the way people told me how to deal with her back when I first asked for advice in beating her, they acted like it was the most obvious thing. "Oh, Medusa? Just evolve a Gremlin to deal with her. No big deal."

Like, OK, :psyduck: I can do that, but how was I supposed to figure that out myself? Does the game even hint that demons evolve?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Silver Falcon posted:

I see. That makes me feel less dumb for not thinking of that. From the way people told me how to deal with her back when I first asked for advice in beating her, they acted like it was the most obvious thing. "Oh, Medusa? Just evolve a Gremlin to deal with her. No big deal."

Like, OK, :psyduck: I can do that, but how was I supposed to figure that out myself? Does the game even hint that demons evolve?

I think either once you get a demon to learn its last move or level up past its final move, the game starts saying something about how the demon is reacting to more levels? I dunno, it's kind of annoying to say the least.

KataraniSword posted:

Thanks. Now I'm envisioning Midori playing lovely screamcam horror games on Youtube. :mad:

Ahahahaha that's pretty hilarious to me! :haw:

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

I think either once you get a demon to learn its last move or level up past its final move, the game starts saying something about how the demon is reacting to more levels? I dunno, it's kind of annoying to say the least.

Yeah, when you level up a demon that can evolve and has already learned all its skills, it says "It feels like I'm going to evolve soon" or something to that effect. The problem is that demons always say a bunch of random nonsense when they level up, so unless you already know that evolution is a thing (and nobody in the game tells you that it is), it's really easy to just dismiss it as some meaningless bullshit. That's what I did! (I ended up beating Medusa by just getting insanely lucky and poisoning her despite her poison resist)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

So just a heads up, if you live in the US and own a 3DS, but not this game you can pick it up on sale from the eShop at a nice :10bux:. I dunno if the sale's started yet or if it's tomorrow, but it'll last til the 29th.

Also, I'm working on an update but tindeck is having problems, so it's likely I'm gonna end up switching audio hosts.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Welcome back, we have plenty to do today, so let's get cracking and check out what the founder has to say.

: These guys can't go home either, huh? But it looks like Shiba Park is one of the bigger refugee shelters around... There sure are a lot of people here.

: It's placed well for it. Shiba Park was built to completely surround Zojoji... The park has schools, hotels, and even libraries, so it's a natural gathering place.

I assume it's like Central Park, then? Does Central Park have a school? There's definitely a zoo and at least one hotel and it wouldn't surprise me if there were a library around there somewhere either.

: Huh. I guess it doesn't hurt that it's easily accessible from Tokyo Tower...

: Look at all those people... There's nothing any one person can do, so they just hope for the lockdown to lift. Guess we're not the only ones having a hard time of things...

: Yeah... I hope we can find a way out of the Yamanote circle soon.

: Do you all know the story of the Tower of Babel? Man once attempted to create a gargantuan tower in order to become closer to God... Their arrogance was punished with an ordeal by which their language was divided. But through knowledge and technology, man has overcome these linguistic barriers. The Internet we have today is the embodiment of this triumph! But now... Man has once again become arrogant, and God has sent us another ordeal! To withstand this ordeal, man must join hands with one another and stand united! I implore you all... Stand with the Shomonkai and withstand God's ordeal!

Well, if you weren't familiar with the Tower of Babel, now you are. If you remember the opening narration from the very start of the game, then you may remember this:

quote:

I sundered the tongue of your fathers and shattered their arrogant power.

Now that the founder has preached the story of Babel, we know now that the opening was probably narrated by the big guy himself, God/YHVH. Either that or his usual mouthpiece, Metatron.

We can also glean that despite being the head of a religious cult, they do not worship YHVH, since they're trying to withstand His ordeal.

: That's the Shomonkai founder making a speech over there. Cross-cultural communication is proof we've overcome the Tower of Babel, huh...?

: But another ordeal's coming down the pike? It wasn't those demons at Aoyama, was it...?

I... think those demons at Aoyama were a bit light to be a whole ordeal.

: Oh. I hope I'm just overthinking this...

: Hm? Look... That girl...

You spot a girl who stands out within the Shomonkai members... She seems to be going around and speaking to some of the refugees...

By the way, if you couldn't tell, that picture of Amane has been on screen pretty much the whole time. It's... kinda weird.

: This misfortune has struck all the people equally. Everyone here is undergoing hardship. Let us stay calm and wait. Give generously of your effort and assistance...

: That's the girl from last night! She seemed weird then, but she's kinda cute, huh?

Phones has a type?

: C'mon, you guys... what's all the whispering about? You two are such goons...

One of the Shomonkai members notices you and approaches...

: Hello. I'm with the order known as the Shomonkai. Can you spare me a moment? As you know, advances in technology have created new forms of mass communication. As these forms take hold, it is vital that we not lose sight of human contact. We of the Shomonkai aim to reaffirm the miracle of human contact in the modern day.

Man you guys are all preachy. Leave us be already!

: I see. That is a shame... Please reconsider, if you would. Our Shomonkai is...

As the Shomonkai member begins her spiel, a familiar woman interrupts the conversation...

: You mustn't be too forceful with your invitations.

Oh thank you, Amane! Some people just don't know how to take "no" for an answer.

: Oh! Lady Amane...!

: We met yesterday. Allow me to introduce myself formally. I am Amane Kuzuryu, a maiden of the Shomonkai.

: Yes... As a maiden, I am she through whom divine voices both good and evil speak. Man has, of old, distinguished between supportive gods and rapacious demons... However, the distinction is academic. At root, gods and demons are both otherworldly. You can hear their voices... Behold their presences... Can't you?

Well, we were narrated at by either God or Metatron at the start of the game, I'd say that counts.

: Just as I'd expect from one who has mastered a COMP. You can feel them... I have a question for you three. Where did you acquire those COMPs?

: Naoya? He gave these to you? I see... I had thought that may have been the case. It was we in the Shomonkai who requested that he create that program...

Listening to the Overclocked dub, I kinda wish I went with the other option, because Amane gets really sassy about who gave you the COMPs.

: In any event, I believe we will see one another again. If you'll excuse me, Kazuya Minegi... Farewell for now.

: You hear that, Phones?

: Yep. Question is, why would they commission something like that? Why would the Shomonkai want a demon-summoning device?

Well, they're trying to stand against God's ordeal now and they seem to want everyone unified, so the bottom two answers are out.

: They want to use a demon-summoning program to summon... a god? It might make sense if that girl's right, and demons and gods aren't that different...

: But once they summon a god... What then?

: Huh...? How should I know?

Alright, we've basically got a solid three Yamanote Line events to check out before anything big happens, so let's do that.

: This place is out, too...

: It's so hot! My feet are killing me!

: Hmm, yeah... Getting around's pretty tough now that all the transportation is dead...

: I want air conditioning! When's the electricity gonna come back ooooooon!?

: And I'm hungry! Atsuro, go buy me something! I can't walk another step!

: Sheez, you're selfish! What do you want?

: I don't care. We passed a convenience store earlier. Just get me something!

: Ugh... Fine, all right... I'll be right back.

: That was close... They were about to close because they were out of everything.

: Whaaa!? So, you...

: Take it easy. I was able to get some bread that was still there.

: Wow! Thanks, Atsuro!

: But... This is more serious than I thought. Tokyo really relies on other places.

: We'll be fine as long as the park still has water, but if that stops... It's scary.

: No use over here, either...

: ...I'm thirsty. Let's go get something to drink.

: Let's see if there's a park nearby. I need some water, or I'll have a heatstroke...

: Plus, I'm really tired from all this walking.

: Even if there's a blackout, why can't the buses and taxis be running?

: ...The roads are full of accidents and rubble.

: Ugh! Stupid lockdown!

Where would you even go? It's highly unlikely that you could even get out of the circle, even if you had actual transportation.

So harder free battles can pop up from time to time as well. I don't think there's really any major difference aside from the demons and how strong they are overall? I don't think they're really worth covering.

: drat it, the east side's completely blockaded, too!

: We really are trapped in the Yamanote loop... What are we supposed to do?

: Sitting around and doing nothing is stupid. Let's not give up, and keep looking. It'll be tough if it's just us, but I'm sure we can share info with others to help...

: ...Yeah, you're right.

Alright, so after this, we get the last event of the update, but I decided to go check out the hard free battle to see if there were any skills worth cracking.

There's one. Mana Bonus is a pretty nice skill for any spellcaster, so I'd say get it as soon as you can. It'll get outclassed eventually, but for now, every bit counts. Race-D, and its counterpart Race-O, are skills that're better on Demons rather than team leaders because they take effect whenever the skill user is matched up against an enemy of the same race. It's like 50% damage reduction/addition, respectively, but it's so situational that I'd rather a more generic skill instead. As for leaders, you pretty much only get humans for leaders, with some exceptions, and human opponents are pretty far and few in between, so it's essentially a wasted slot for them too.

Also I did some more fusing, made an Ogun and then immediately fused it into a Garm, which went right to Phones. Garm s the next step up of Wilder demons from Waira. It's pretty much a pure physical demon that really doesn't like Ice, but the more mobility I have for the next mission, the better.

: What's wrong, Phones? Is something going on over at Bugeikan?

: I thought I heard something too... Is that... singing?

: Hey... That's one of Haru's songs! Let's go check it out!

: Aaaah! Haru...!

: ......!

: It's too dangerous! Run!

: What are you saying!? That would be even more dangerous!

: Well, what else is she gonna do!? She's surrounded!

: Oops. I guess I failed... Haha...

: ......? She doesn't look very worried... What's her deal?

: Hey, stupid, stop mumbling to yourself and help us save her!

: O-Oh, right!

: Run, Haru! It's dangerous! We'll take care of them!

: No, it's all right... I can protect myself...

: ...Hmmm? I guess it's out of batteries... Haha... Uh oh... This could be bad, Aya...

: Hurry, Haru!

: Why isn't she running!? ...drat it! We're gonna have to go to her!

: Let's go!

Alright, welcome to our first escort mission, kinda. The idea is make sure Haru stays alive and the demons are dead, but to complicate things, Haru's on the other side of this large-ish map with a whole lot of demons specializing in mobility in the way. There's a few Wairas, at least one Moh Shuvuu, who give no shits about taking a nice and leisurely stroll up to Haru, and at least two Bilwises who are dead set on slowing you down. You might not need it, but I strongly suggest everyone have some way of moving quickly; preferably Devil Speed.

There are no more skills left to actually take, aside from the dumb race skill, so I guess I might as well grab that one. This is the formation we're going with. Atsuro doesn't have Devil Speed, but he does have an Avatar demon in his party, which can help with moving him around. Basically, he can switch places with any allied party on the map within ~6 squares of him.

: I've found you...

: ......!?

: Relinquish your powers to my master...

: My... powers?

: These demons are everywhere I go... I just want to be left alone...

Alright, so Haru's in a really bad spot, so all she can really do is just walk back and forth on these stairs. We need to close the gap ASAP and make sure she doesn't die.

To start, Yuzu's going to fight this Bilwis near the player start to clean the field a little. When I was recording, I don't know why, but I was convinced Bilwis could use Bind, so I prioritized killing those if they were near Atsuro even though I totally didn't have to. Yuzu at least got a level out of that scrap.

Phones uses Devil Speed to move over to this far Moh Shuvuu and handily clears it from the map.

Meanwhile, Atsuro begins to work at this Waira team. Unfortunately, his team didn't have any way of hitting fire weaknesses, so he was stymied a bit. Oh well.

: ...Huh!?

: Aaaahh! Haru!

: That hurt, you stupid demons! ......? Huh? I'm not... dead...

: ......!? Wh-Why? Why is she still alive...?

: ......I know! It must be the Harmonizer! Even if you're not the owner, being in range of a COMP can give you the same effects!

Unless you're right up in their gullet, enemies will beeline to Haru in this stage. This is what non-allied party combat looks like, they just give you the cliffnotes version of what happened. Thankfully, the Wairas weren't strong enough to drop Haru in one go, but we still need to get up there soon.

I was expecting the Waira to go for Atsuro, but it decided Yuzu would make a better target. Sure game, whatever you say.

Next, the Bilwis goes for Haru and gives up its useless skill for us.

Yuzu speeds on up to the Bilwis to try and keep it from slowing any of the party down. Unfortunately, she doesn't actually succeed and she's lost a Waira. At least the left Ogun's HP will be too low to use Bind?

Also, I guess I forgot to mention it, but Yuzu's Jambavan is a Genma demon, which means it has the Phantasma racial skill, which is basically Flight, but not as good; you can ignore terrain and obstacles, but you don't get +1 to movement.

To make up for the loss of Waira, Yuzu will summon a Waira.

Atsuro moves up and demonstrates the Avatar racial skill, which allows the user to swap places with any allied team within 6 squares.

He doesn't quite kill the Bilwis, but at least this team can't do any binding this time.

: You guys... You should leave me here and run away.

: ...Um, thanks. But don't kill yourselves in the process, okay?

Thanks for the vote of confidence. You can probably tell that Haru seems to have some issues.

Phones wedges himself between Haru and the Waira while also healing her for good measure.

The Waira is a little more single-minded and straight up goes after Haru. I don't think she would've died this round, but never hurts to be safe.

With nothing better to do, the Bilwis offers itself to get pounded by Atsuro's team.

Haru moves back to safety, where Yuzu patches her up. Meanwhile, Phones moves in on the last enemy to clobber it.

Needless to say, he won. Phones is the only level up in the party right now, so he's gonna pump his Ma some more.

Also, if Haru ended up dying, Atsuro or Yuzu would bemoan the fact that you probably didn't use any racial skills (HINT, USE A WILDER OR THREE) or thought to heal Haru.

: Haru! You're safe!

: Yeah... Thanks to you guys. So you can summon demons, too?

: U-Um, yeah... But that's not as surprising as seeing you here! You were surrounded by all those demons and never so much as screamed...

: I'd have been fine by myself if my sequencer hadn't run out of batteries.

: I summon my demons by singing in sync with the sequencer.

: Huh...? You can summon demons too, Haru!?

: So that's why you took out that sequencer a second ago...

: Did Naoya make your sequencer too, then?

: Naoya? Who? No, I borrowed this from someone over six months ago

: Yeah. Aya, the old leader of D-Va, lent it to me... The batteries are dead, so for now it's just a useless hunk of junk. But I still like to have it close by...

Considering she seems to have some attachment to Aya, yeah, I'm not surprised it's a security blanket for her.

: Haha! Guess we're on the same page, then.

: But it'd be better if it was working, right? Let's charge the batteries back up! Oh... Do you mind if I take a look at the sequencer's terminal?

: Hm? Uh, sure...?

: drat... It's no good. I thought we might've been able to use the hand charger to juice it back up.

If we chose the other option, Haru would've mentioned that she couldn't find a charger for her sequencer. Still, it's a shame it isn't compatible with our charger. This is why proprietary chargers need to be phased out ASAP.

: Well, thanks anyway... Were you worried about me? Don't worry. Even if it's not working, this is still like a security blanket for me...

: ......? A security blanket...?

: Haha! Don't overthink it.

: Oh... Okay...

: So you first summoned a demon over six months ago? Man, you're way ahead of us!

: No, the first time it happened was about a month and a half back.

: Still, that's more experience than ours! We just started yesterday!

: Yesterday? You've come a long way in two days, then... Amazing. That reminds me... Hey. You there.

: Yeah... I thought so. You got this dangerous smell to you. *chuckle* But I kind of like that about you.

Haru speaks in a low voice so the other two don't hear...

: Well, thanks again. I'm gonna get going, but I hope we run into each other again.

: Of all people... Who'd have thought she could summon demons, too?

: Guess demons have been around Tokyo way before we knew about them.

: Yeah... looks like. The guys in Shomonkai seem to have been using demons from way back.

: Wait, Phones! Did you check Haru's death clock!? It said 0 last time, right?

I don't think this is the first dialogue option with only one choice, but it's the first one in the script files I'm reading to have the second option be an unselectable "Dummy" option. I always like seeing little ways the developers work around the limitations of their engines to make the most of their games. A fairly common trick for reflections in 3D games, for example, is to have the player character's reflection just be a duplicate player model in a reversed version of the room the player's in that responds to the controls exactly the same way as the actual player character, but in reverse. It saves a lot of processing power to not have to render an accurate reflection and still looks like what the developers would want! Games that employ this technique include Superman 64, and Super Mario 64.

: Woo-ha! We really did it! We saved Haru's life!

: Aha! That proves we can change other people's death clocks too! Isn't that great?

: Of course it is! Right, Phones?

: Yeah... So now that we know we can increase the time on the death clock for others...

: Let's keep at it and do the same for everyone trapped in the Yamanote circle!

: But I wonder how Haru summons demons using that sequencer instead of a COMP... What's the underlying mechanism there?

: What do COMPs and the sequencer have in common that lets them summon demons...?

Hmm... A sequencer is used primarily for music and a COMP can probably play music files? We don't really have much else to go off of right now.

: There you go, overthinking things again! Who cares about that right now?

: We just saved Haru's life! That's good enough for me!

: Even so... I'm a little worried that she didn't seem too thrilled about it. I hope it's just part of that cool, disaffected rock star attitude they all have...

I don't know if I'd say that's really a rock star attitude...

: ...Yeah.

: By the way, Phones... What did Haru say to you?

: A dangerous smell...? You? Ohh, reaaallllly now...?

Fun fact, Yuzu elongates a 'reaaallllly' with both options.

Alright, so that takes care of that! We've saved Haru and now it's time to get on with the rest of our day. We have time for two more events, but we have three options, as you can see on the top screen, so we'll leave it to a thread vote again.

:siren:Out of Gin, Yuzu and Atsuro, which two do you want to hang out with?:siren:

In the meantime, I made two more demons; one of which is going to be significantly more useful than the other. Sarasvati is the first Megami demon we've gotten, which I'm appreciative of because Megami is a fantastic race; high magic combined with a high-healing racial skill? Sign me up! Gagyson is alright, it's part of the Fallen race, which is also pretty good. The Sacrifice racial skill heals a bit of HP and MP after battle if the Fallen demon defeats an enemy, the amount varying depending on the enemy's level. Anyway, that's it for me. Don't forget to vote on events!

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 24, 2016

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Gin and Atsuro

Fun fact: Phantasm doesn't give the +1 move, but it does lower the turn clock on moving (but not attacking) for the team, which can be super handy!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Gin and Atsubro. Yuzu's doing her best to make me dislike her and she's succeeding hard.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

We hung out with Yuzu earlier, so Gin and Atsuro.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Atsuro and Gin sounds good.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Oh yeah, I guess I forgot to say when the vote's going to be called. Let's say we'll call it at the end of Saturday?

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013
Atsuro and Gin

Gonna hang out with everyone at least once before their (possibly) inevitable death.

Frozenzen
Mar 26, 2016
Gin and Atsuro

I kind of get why people dislike Yuzu so much, but I really liked having an essentially regular person around. She is just interested in surviving, rather than some high minded ideals. Her attitude does conflict with gameplay a fair bit though, which is annoying.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Yeah, let's do Gin and Atsuro.

Part of the problem with Yuzu is that Atsuro also fills the normal person slot, and is a lot less whiny. Also, there's a point where "just wants to survive" turns into "wilfully ignoring some pretty blatant implications" regarding what's going on around you, and Yuzu arguably crosses that line. I personally don't truly dislike Yuzu, but she's also nowhere near my favorite character and I certainly understand the complaints.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

We should definitely hang out with our bro Atsuro and check in with Gin.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Gin and Yuzu

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
My view on Yuzu is that there's multiple ways of reacting to stuff like this, and she's a perfectly accurate way someone would do so. Plus I don't hate her since when it comes to do or die moments like 'fight to rescue Haru or she dies', she still fights.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Keldulas posted:

My view on Yuzu is that there's multiple ways of reacting to stuff like this, and she's a perfectly accurate way someone would do so. Plus I don't hate her since when it comes to do or die moments like 'fight to rescue Haru or she dies', she still fights.

Yuzu's reactions are perfectly natural.

Unfortunately, this is a Shin Megami Tensei game, where the unnatural is expected and embraced, and her reactions are mild now but fly in the face of narrative sense later on, leaving the player frustrated no matter how natural it is.

That said, it's overexaggerated. She's nowhere near as bad as some people want to imply.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Gonna fight the flow and say we visit Yuzu and Gin

  • Locked thread