Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Gin+Atsuru

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

Logicblade posted:

Atsuro and Gin sounds good.

Sounds good to me too.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Atsubro and Gin are the only correct answers.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Well, now seems like a good a place as any to call the vote. Next update, we're gonna hang out with Gin and Atsuro.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay, sort of a wierd question, but it's on-topic: What would you do if, one day, a Demon Summoning Program suddenly appeared on your phone? Would you keep it? Throw it away?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

"new phone, who dis"

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Junpei posted:

Okay, sort of a wierd question, but it's on-topic: What would you do if, one day, a Demon Summoning Program suddenly appeared on your phone? Would you keep it? Throw it away?

Degauss the SIM card. Because real world, that's the name some douchebag script kiddie would give their incredibly obvious "pwned lol" virus app.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Degauss the SIM card. Because real world, that's the name some douchebag script kiddie would give their incredibly obvious "pwned lol" virus app.

I meant a real one that really worked and really summoned demons. Really.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
i'd get the holy water and microwave the demons away

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Junpei posted:

Take over the world, natch. It's really the only thing to do with such overwhelming power.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
See if it works on airplane mode and if it does spend the rest of my days reverse engineering it

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Junpei posted:

Play Flappy Bird.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
post on comedy website somethingawful dot com about it

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
god dammit, junpei.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Can someone explain why the entire area is barricaded? All i remember is that the E-mail mentioned underground gas leaks in the metro, so the metro stations are closed. Why the hell are the land routes barricaded? Why can't we use our demons to murder non-harmonized military guards?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DmitriX posted:

Can someone explain why the entire area is barricaded? All i remember is that the E-mail mentioned underground gas leaks in the metro, so the metro stations are closed. Why the hell are the land routes barricaded? Why can't we use our demons to murder non-harmonized military guards?

To avoid spoilers, the game will explain why everything is barricaded, and the reason why the party doesn't just murder people to escape is because they aren't too keen on the idea of murdering people.

InwardChaos
Oct 21, 2010

Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be chaos.

Hunt11 posted:

To avoid spoilers, the game will explain why everything is barricaded, and the reason why the party doesn't just murder people to escape is because they aren't too keen on the idea of murdering people.

In addition, as was shown in the latest battle with Haru, any human within range of the comps becomes harmonized. So even if our group decided to go murder some people, our demons would have the same reduced effect on the soldiers that wild demons have on our party.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

InwardChaos posted:

In addition, as was shown in the latest battle with Haru, any human within range of the comps becomes harmonized. So even if our group decided to go murder some people, our demons would have the same reduced effect on the soldiers that wild demons have on our party.

Granted, this only prevents partial immunity instead of total, so if the party was determined enough they could probably bum rush a soldier.

It probably wouldn't happen before ten others had loaded assault rifles pointed at them, though, and there's no signs that the Harmonizer works on bullets like it does on demons.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

At this stage in the game, Demon Tamers vs Border Guards is a rout in the guards' favor.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

Granted, this only prevents partial immunity instead of total, so if the party was determined enough they could probably bum rush a soldier.

It probably wouldn't happen before ten others had loaded assault rifles pointed at them, though, and there's no signs that the Harmonizer works on bullets like it does on demons.

Why would the soldiers point the rifles at them?
It's not like our characters need to be anywhere within line of sight of the border, they just need to send a steady stream of demons from outside the harmonizer range. Then, once the SDF are sufficiently distracted, they can either sneak out elsewhere, or use the brief respite to get through the lockdown.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

DmitriX posted:

Why would the soldiers point the rifles at them?
It's not like our characters need to be anywhere within line of sight of the border, they just need to send a steady stream of demons from outside the harmonizer range. Then, once the SDF are sufficiently distracted, they can either sneak out elsewhere, or use the brief respite to get through the lockdown.

What is the harmonizer range though? Keep in mind, just because humans are harmonized doesn't mean they can't be killed by demons, so it's not like all the deaths in the lockdowns are because of non-harmonization. Heck, as of this point demons have only come from comps, so any human killed by a demon would have to have been harmonized anyways; so as far as we know the entire lockdown area/country/planet could be harmonized

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Why can't they use their demons to dig a tunnel under the soldiers?

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Mraagvpeine posted:

Spoilers. Also logic.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Underground poison gas? Like that's an actual, mentioned thing.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

What is the harmonizer range though? Keep in mind, just because humans are harmonized doesn't mean they can't be killed by demons, so it's not like all the deaths in the lockdowns are because of non-harmonization. Heck, as of this point demons have only come from comps, so any human killed by a demon would have to have been harmonized anyways; so as far as we know the entire lockdown area/country/planet could be harmonized

The range should be relatively short, or we won't have the entire plot point of "can't submit our comps cuz then we are dead meat"

The rest of the point is irrelevant - the idea of not harmonizing guards is to ensure that they can't kill demons, not that demons can kill them.
And i do consider demon control range of a comp to extend beyond harmonization range for the purpose of this scenario.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Why can't the demons just fly the ring to Mount Doom?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Really Pants posted:

Why can't the demons just fly the ring to Mount Doom?

Union rules.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

DmitriX posted:

Underground poison gas? Like that's an actual, mentioned thing.

The range should be relatively short, or we won't have the entire plot point of "can't submit our comps cuz then we are dead meat"

The rest of the point is irrelevant - the idea of not harmonizing guards is to ensure that they can't kill demons, not that demons can kill them.
And i do consider demon control range of a comp to extend beyond harmonization range for the purpose of this scenario.

Keep in mind we also don't know how far we can send our demons. We know we can summon up to two per COMP, but we're not exactly told if we can send them outside of COMP range, which I get the feeling no one really wants to test because it would leave that COMP user without at least one of their demons.

Anyway, sorry I've been dragging my feet on updating, school's started up again so I have that on my plate as well. I also ended up working on my other LP in the two weeks since I've posted here, but since that's all edited, I can focus more time on this; whenever I get any time, at least. I really appreciate you all posting in the thread and being patient for an update!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Quick status update on the update: 90% done. The commentary track's just about stitched together, so we should be good to go very soon. It's taken me a bit longer than I'd like because I had a computer failure, so I had to go and reinstall a bunch of my programs, but all of my LP stuff's been backed up to a secure place, so no worries about losing anything big LP-wise.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Welcome back, last time, Gin and Atsuro won the vote, so we're gonna hang out with them. First off, Gin.

He seems to be standing before a Shomonkai facility.

I was about to ask how they could tell, but I guess that emblem kind of looks like Amane's head-dress thing?

: Hmm...!? Oh, it's you kids. Don't scare me like that... Why am I here? Oh, no real reason... Just taking a walk.

Gin left...

: It didn't look like Gin was here for no reason. Why was he staring at the Shomonkai place...?

Well that was eventful. Moving on!

: Hey Atsuro, how do you know so much about tech stuff?

: Hm? Didn't I tell you before? Both my parents are engineers. They work in Silicon Valley.

: They always ask me if I want to come along, but I never do... My English is too bad.

: But I've played with computers since I was little. It's like I grew up in the net. My parents weren't around and my friends had cram school, so net friends were all I had...

: Nah, when I actually met them, most of 'em turned out to be college students or adults. They didn't know online that I was a grade school kid, you know?

Um, that's really lucky that they were all decent folk who didn't mean Atsuro any harm.

: They were always surprised I didn't know stuff... They'd call me Mr. Noob, haha.

: But there was one good thing about it... I could chat with adults and they'd treat me as an equal. Anonymity had its upside.

Reminds me of Ender's Game and how the main character's siblings used the power of the internet to become important political speakers; the main character's brother's goal being eventual world domination. I think he succeeded? I dunno, I never read anything other than Game and Shadow.

: It was great back then... Not as convenient as now, sure, but nothing bad happened.

Alright, one last event for the day before sunset.

: Hey... Something's funny here.

: Yeah... I can sense a bunch of 'em nearby.

: Demons, huh? What should we do...?

: Dunno, but it's too late now. They're behind us, too. We've got no choice but to fight...

: Was that a demon!? Phones, Atsuro, look! That must be where the demons come from!

: Tch...! I guess that's how there got to be so many of them all of a sudden! If we don't do something about that, they'll keep coming!

: Yeah! Maybe we can stop the demons from appearing!

Alright, so this battle is basically here to teach us about those fancy squares. There's one on both ends of the map, and I've been dilligent about skill cracks, so there's only one skill to nab here. +Poison is a passive skill that gives a chance of poisoning the enemy with every physical attack. Not so useful for Phones or Yuzu, but Atsuro could make good use of that. That counts for physical skills as well.

Atsuro and Phones will press forward and deal with the big clump in the middle, while Yuzu will take the red square at this end of the map. She's equipped with a Genma and a Wilder, so she can move fast, far, and unimpeded by obstacles.

Yes it is, Yuzu, which is why you're going to gun for that COMP ASAP. I don't think I actually let any of them do their thing, so the deal with these COMPs are that if you let them sit too long, then demons will spawn out of them. I suppose you could just sit around and grind forever, but that's boring.

The miasma disappeared when the COMP was stopped.

: Yesssss! Now we just have to get rid of all these demons! We have to stop the other COMP now!

By the power of Devil's Speed, Phones shoots waaaay over here to pick off one of the Moh Shuvuus. Needless to say, he won.

Atsuro doesn't have a Wilder, so he just moves up. The Moh Shuvuu comes to him instead and he just barely fails to wipe it out. :argh:

Barely misses a level, too! :argh: I guess that one's not as big of a deal, since we really only care about Phones' level for the most part, since that's tied to the fusion level ceiling.

Moh Shuvuu patches herself up a bit while Waira comes and attacks Atsuro, who can only manage to take out one Waira. He'll probably be busy with that for a while.

This Bilwis came over from halfway across the map to say hi to Phones. Too bad Phones only knows how to say hi with violence. Unfortunately though, only the Wairas died because the game was being stingy with Extra Turns.

Yuzu moves closer, some Bilwises do too and they have their Kikimoras cast Devotion to patch up their allies. One Bilwis decides that it wants to fight Phones. It picked a good time to, since his Sarasvati had to play defense this round to stay alive.

Atsuro's a little boxed in, so let's do something about that and clear off this Moh Shuvuu.

After that, he moves up a little bit, heals his party slightly, then Yuzu moves up to the group and finally gets some action.

:haw: The first Bilwis that can move is the one that can't actually fight! It spends its turn healing one of the Bilwis groups though.

Phones makes short work of the lone Bilwis, then starts moving towards the last Miasma just in case.

Yuzu takes out this Bilwis's support while Atsuro does the same and cracks +Poison at the same time.

Kikimora gets Mana Bonus on her level, which means she has a larger MP pool to cast from, and Atsuro can now poison enemies. This might be the first skill we get that has two stat thresholds? It's a concept that makes sense on paper but kind of sucks to deal with since you can't really min-max as well if you need to throw a few points into a stat you don't want to equip a skill. DeSu2 does away with it entirely, so there's that at least.

The remaining Bilwises decide it's time to attack Yuzu and Atsuro, but they don't really get very far in their plan. And with that, there are no more demons on the map, and the mission is done. If Phones got another turn, he could've picked up the other COMP too, but the objective was just kill all the demons.

: This is it, eh? I think I'm actually getting the hang of this!

I get the feeling Atsuro means to say "let's pick up the COMP now since we're done here."

: Phew... All done!

: What I want to know is, why's there a COMP on the ground here?

I can think of a few reasons why there are abandoned COMPs. :( Especially considering where we are...

: Yeah, probably so.

: Someone got their hands on an altered COMP and fired it up... Then the demons came.

: Huh... So whoever it was...

: I'm... guessing they're not with us anymore.

: ......

: Oh... I guess the demons we summon come from somewhere, huh? You think there's a world of demons on the other side of the COMP?

: There's no telling what's on the other side, but anything's possible. This COMP might come in handy later... We should take it with us.

: Yeah... You're right. By the way, what's in those COMPs that lets them summon demons?

: Oh, I figured that out... It turns out the Demon Summoning Program is a client.

: Client...? Can you explain this in regular-people words?

: Haha, same ol' Yoohoo! Okay, let me explain this briefly...

: Programs come in two types: Standalone software and networked software. The networked kind are made up of a host and a client. The host is just like it sounds. It's a program that runs on a server.

I like that Yuzu's portait changes at the end. :allears: Server-client stuff is pretty simple stuff for networks and software and I'm willing to bet a bunch of you guys reading this have used programs that use the server-client model. Atlus must've been proud of their explanation of this though, because either option has Atsuro continuing his lecture. The only difference is who's asking him to continue. :v:

: Sure, sure.

: All the client does is send a request to the server and receive the results. The server does the actual processing, so even a low-end machine can handle the client.

: So... Basically... These COMPs don't actually do much... All the real work is done on the server, and the COMP just uses the results from there?

: Whoa, you got it! That's pretty much the gist of it.

: It's a way to let a simple handheld device access very complex functions. The COMP has good networking routines, so it can let the server handle the load.

: Okay... I'm kind of getting it now. So where's this server thing?

: No idea. And there's no way to look for it now, either. If I could trace the packets, I might get a fix on it, but not with a normal PC...

: If we CAN get to the server, though, we can monkey with the demon program all we want. In theory, we could summon and dismiss demons at will.

I love that Naoya managed to turn arcane and otherworldly rituals into an automated program that works through man-made technology. :allears:

: It does, doesn't it? It'd be a blast!

: Uh... I think it's more important to find a way out first!

: Yeah, yeah... I know. Let's go, Phones!

Man, it's only 7 and the sun's already down? In the middle of summer, too!

: The sun's already gone down... And we're no closer to a way out than this morning.

: Yeah. It doesn't seem like the lockdown's lifting soon, and night's a bad time to fight.

: Let's hurry and find shelter. You guys have any friends in the Yamanote circle?

If it's anything like the Boston area, rent would be waaaaaay too much to live in the city.

: Same here. All my best friends live outside the area. If I could just use my cell, I bet one of my friends could hook us up...

: I know what you mean. If I could log on, I could find a place in no time...

Atsuro: Confirmed patron of AirBnB

: Considering the situation, I'd assume nearby schools are in use as evacuation zones.

: If we don't hurry and find one, we'll have to camp out again... Is that all right?

: Well... I'm pretty tired from walking, so I really don't care where we crash. I just want to get away from the demons for a while and wipe off all this sweat...

: No need to worry about rain, so how about the park? There'll be people and water there.

: Whatever we decide, I'm starving...

: We only had bread for lunch... If nothing's coming in, does that mean we'll go hungry? We only had bread for lunch...

: Cool, I'll help.

: Thanks, guys.

: Man, a lot happened today. Yesterday was a handful, but today was even more packed...

: The Laplace Mail, the auction, the Cathedral of Shadows... Whew.

Infodump time! I was wondering why my script file had so much text. :v: No, you can't skip this in-game. If you wanna skip further down this update though, be my guest.

: The Laplace Mail.

: Yeah, those emails aren't a joke or a threat. They really do describe future events.

: No use wondering about that now...

: More importantly for us, they've all come true.

: That's true... Our death clock did go up after we beat that snowman...

: Yeah. If we get another one tomorrow, let's use it as a guide for what to do.

: Let's talk about the Devil Auction.

: It seems like demons have been around for quite a while--we just never knew it...

: We're fighting against the demons that appeared, right? But the only way to beat them is to summon other demons... I dunno, I don't like it.

: I know what you mean, Yoohoo, but you don't want to die, do you? I think we'll have to make do with what we have until we find a better way.

: Yeah...

: What about The Cathedral of Shadows?

: It fuses demons together to make a new demon, right? Sheez, that's weird...

: Yeah... Like, if Yuzu and Phones merged together and became me...

: Wh-What!? Joined together!? Leave us out of your nightmare fantasies, okay!?

Keep it clean, Yuzu, keep it clean.

: Calm down! It's just an example.

: If that happened, would the consciousness inside be mine, Yuzu's, or Phones's...?

: Well, they inherit abilities, so it sounds like they have the previous demons' minds...

: So you think I'd have both your memories and Phones's?

: Weird... Even though it was my idea, I can't picture at all what that'd be like.

: Haha! I guess only a demon would know for sure.

I don't know if they keep their old memories, but they do at least have some tucked away in their subconscious. This is going off of Cerberus from SMT1. I kind of want to say the ultra-Pixie from Nocturne remembers you as it goes through whatever fusions you make?

And now, a discussion on our COMPs.

: I guess we'll have to get better with our COMPs... but how long will this go on?

: Naoya seemed to think this won't end anytime soon...

: If you've noticed, the COMPs have way more functions than they did when we got them. It's easier on the user to get used to all the different functions little by little... Did Naoya think so too? Is that why he's doing things this way?

: Huh... You're right It does seem that way, doesn't it?

: Not cool! There's no reason for him to drag us into this!

: Mmm... I'm sure there's SOME reason...

: Oh yeah? Like what?

: Alright, alright... We don't have to talk about this now. We'll ask Naoya himself when we meet up with him.

: You're right... Sorry. Yeah, let's do that.

: Yeah, good plan. It'd suck if we got attacked by demons in the middle of the night.

: Don't forget to charge your COMPs while you're at it. They're our lifelines.

: ...I wanna go home...

Another day, another few emails. Let's go from the top.

quote:

Subject: Email System

Running the email server during peak hours, while the demon summoning program is most active, consumes too many system resources and causes the entire system to become unstable.

As a precaution, I've restricted email usage during the day to the server's automated functions and to the administrator, me. Sorry, but you'll only be able to use the COMPs' email at night. Bear with me here.

You can only do so much by yourself. Be sure to communicate.

This begs the question of whether or not Naoya converted a regular server into a portal to the demon world or if he installed IMAP onto a magical demon portal.

quote:

Subject: Hey! It's Yuzu!

Yesterday was 1 thing but im soooo mad that we couldn't get home after running around all day. (;w;)

Not knowing when we'll get out really bugs me. Im ok w/u guys during the day but at night im like OH NOEZ! If i could use my cel phone to call home i wouldnt b so worried.

Maaaaan... If only i could get a hot shower id feel a little refreshed. I wish i knew someone who lived around here...

Aaaaaaand this is why we delegated email-teaching to Atsuro.

: It's like camping.

quote:

Subject: Naoya's amazing

The demon summoning program is crazy awesome. I can't count how many times it's saved our butts today.

Did Naoya make it because he knew the world would be filled with demons? Or is he the one causing them to appear in the first place? Insufficient data... I just can't figure it out.

I stopped talking about it because we can't get an answer, but I really wonder what Naoya's goals are here.

The mail said the lockdown would stay for a while, but I doubt it'll stay like this. Things are getting worse by the minute. What's going to happen? I really wish I had more information...

: What's he up to?

And with that, we're finally done with Day 1! In hindsight there wasn't much in the way of branching paths, but we'll be seeing some soon enough.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 26, 2016

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
I love that this game explores the traditional SMT thing about automating rituals through technology. It's been there at least since the first SMT on SNES, but it hasn't actually popped up that much since.

For reference, the intro to SMT1 is a software boot screen printing praise of YHVH and I adore this kind of science-fictiony integrating lore into the interface.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Yuzu: the Explain Like I'm 5 of Devil Survivor.

I suspect this is another reason she's kind of disliked.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

KataraniSword posted:

Yuzu: the Explain Like I'm 5 of Devil Survivor.

I suspect this is another reason she's kind of disliked.

Then Devil Survivor 2 came out and we realized that we hadn't seen anything yet.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Welcome back to the lockdown, today's focus is back on finding a way out.

: The cause behind the explosion that occurred two days ago at around 19:00 in Aoyama Cemetery has been confirmed to be a spark caused by power cables coming into contact and igniting a poisonous gas that had seeped out into the area. The gas outbreak has been seen in several different areas. We are currently investigating the cause of this gas and are attempting to identify it. We ask for your continued cooperation and understanding during this time of crisis.

: Must be nice on those choppers, flying around and laughing at us from above...

: Don't say that!

: Anyway... A poison gas caught fire, huh...?

: Right... It looks like we can't trust the government to help us anymore. Well, they can't exactly say "The explosion was caused by demons!" publically, either...

: ...Hey, do you think the government really doesn't know that demons exist?

A full on lockdown of the entire Yamanote loop on short notice over a gas leak? That sounds like such bull, they had to have this prepared in advance.

: That can't be possible. All these massive barricades and armed soldiers... They're keeping this place under watch, 24/7. What else could they be preparing for?

: They obviously know all about this, and are keeping the lockdown set on purpose.

Huh, we got something else, too. That's a surprise!

quote:

SUBJECT: Laplace Mail

GooD moRninG.
Here iS today's NEWS.

(1) A monster will appear in Minato-ku Shiba at 17:00. Thanks to the Shomonkai, no people will be killed by it.

(2) At 18:00 in Toyoshima-ku Ikebukuro over 50 people will be killed by a monster.

(3) Throughout the day, sightings of monsters known as demons will be reported.

Havvvvve [] nicE DAy.

quote:

SUBJECT: Auto Skills

The Auto Skills COMP function has been unlocked. Auto Skills are skills that are automatically activated at the start of every battle.

Please note that an Auto Skill has been installed to your COMP upon opening this email. It is a useful skill, so make use of it.

[NOTES]
*Auto Skills are COMP functions, so in general, only humans can use them.
*We have confirmed the existence of demons that have innate Auto Skills.
*Auto Skills can also be cracked from enemies.

Err, Naoya, everything ok with the Laplace Mail program? It's a bit... erratic.

On another note, now we know what the 7th skill slot is for for the humans! Auto Skills are basically racial skills but for humans. Since we can crack them, you can bet we'll be fighting some humans at some point.

: An unknown monster in Ikebukuro, 50 casualties... That has to be a demon, right?

: Probably. But, 50 people...? Is it because there are more demons than yesterday, or is a much stronger demon coming?

: Hey, Phones. How many days do we have left?

: If it still says that, then we're not going to die if we get involved in Ikebukuro...

: ...Huh?

: He's right. Didn't we prove yesterday that the number of days isn't set in stone? If it can go up, it might go down, too. We can't let our guard down.

: Ugh... That's right.

: More than 50 victims, huh...? I feel like I'm pretty used to fighting after yesterday, but this still makes me nervous.

: There's still a lot we don't know about demons. We can't get cocky fighting them.

: Yeah... We did beat that snowman... But once tomorrow comes around it'll be the same thing...

: Our numbers say we'll die tomorrow, and everybody else has five days... What's going to happen to the world?

: Hey... Are we really going to find a way out by tomorrow? I'm sick of all this...

: Don't give up, Yoohoo! I don't want to die. If we can't get out, then the three of us will change our destiny.

: Y-Yeah...

: Oh, that reminds me... There was another email too, about Auto Skills. If we can make good use of those, it'll definitely help us when we fight demons.

: Atsuro! Stop assuming that we have to fight! Let's focus on getting home, first! If we get outside the Yamanote circle, we'll be safe and we won't have to fight!

But what if we run into demons on the way?

: Haha... Well, you're right about that.

: So... What are we going to do from here? Walk around all over the place again?

: Higher than what? You mean, above ground level? Did those helicopters get you thinking?

All you gotta do is let the voice of love take you higher. :v:

: ...If we really could fly, we could hop over the lockdown barriers that way.

: Hmm... Hop over the lockdown...

: Oh, yeah... The highway! That's right! The road goes above the rail tracks, doesn't it? We might be able to get out that way!

: Maybe...! The highway runs right past Shibuya Station. Talk about perfect timing!

: Yeah! It's better than sitting here doing nothing!

Well, I was gonna go check out the ramp, but a new demon showed up on the auction instead so let's go check that out first.

oh it's just Jambavan, never mind. I picked up the 3 star one just because I can and a 3 star Kikimora as well.

Well, first things first.

As you approach the highway, you meet a group of people coming down the ramp...

: Are you trying to use the road to get past the Yamanote line? It's no use. It's blocked.

Well, we shoulda seen that coming.

The man seems to be staring at your COMP.

: A good luck charm, huh...? ...Okay. I'm Yasuyuki Honda. Since we're all locked up together, why don't we try to help each other out? If we run into each other again, let's share whatever we've found out.

Well, this is Honda, he's an interesting fellow. He's voiced by Kirk Thornton, who also voiced Jade Curtiss from Tales of the Abyss, Batman from the voiced web-comic version of the Superman story where the blue boy-scout landed in Soviet Russia and was a Communist and Batman was a terrorist, and is the current voice of Shadow the Hedgehog.

The man calling himself Honda walked off...

: I was hoping we could get out... But I should've guessed it wouldn't be that easy.

: At least we found out before we went all the way up there. We have to find another way.

: What other ways out could there be...?

: I guess that's what we're down to...

Alright, we've got plenty of options for now, so to start, let's go check up on Gin and Kaido.

: It's really amazing. I just happened to find it.

: So, this is that thing...? Then what that one customer left behind must also be...

: Gin...? What's the matter?

: ...Never mind. It's nothing.

: Okay... Well, I'm meeting up with the guys in the Daemons, so excuse me.

Huh, so Gin and Kaido both have COMPs now? Well, at least they can protect themselves? Next up, we'll see what else is going on in Omotesando.

Also, I couldn't figure out where this conversation is in the game's files, so unfortunately, I can't provide the dub track.

: Oh, it's you kids.

Um, do we know you? Wait you look like that guy at Shiba Park who also looked like that guy at Miyashita Park who also looked like that guy at Shibuya Station who...

: Huh...? What do you want?

: Do you kids know Haru?

: Uh, well... We've talked to her a few times. Who are you?

: Well, I saw her street show yesterday, and I must say, it was deeply moving. Even through that pocket amp, her singing was breathtaking! I work for a record label, and I'd really like to speak with her. Could you introduce me?

: No way...! Haru's going to hit the big time!?

It's good that Yuzu's not the kind of fan to complain about her favorite artists selling out.

: I called my boss, and he said he definitely wants her to sign. I just need to find her.

Hold up, something's not right.

: :objection: That's a lie.

: Phones's right... That was a total lie.

: Wh-What did you say, you little...!? What makes you think I'm lying!?

[Present] -> Blackout

: You called your boss, huh?

: ...Eh?

: You heard him. You say you saw Haru's show and then called your boss?

: S-So what...!?

: You still don't get it? We're supposed to believe you used your cell in the lockdown?

: ......! No... that's... That's right! I got the date wrong!

That contradicts your earlier testimony!

: ...She was using her pocket amp because the power was out, but keep trying.

: Ngh... I-I'll remember this, you little brats! I'm outta here!

Huh, I don't remember this game stacking sprites like this. I could've sworn DeSu2:RB was the first one of the DeSu games to do it.

: Stop, Yoohoo. We shouldn't chase him too far.

: Grrrr...! Who WAS that guy!? What did he want with Haru!?

: I don't know... But he may be up to something, so we should warm Haru if we get a chance.

Well now that we've successfully cross-examined that guy, let's head up to Shinjuku.

You look inside the container and see piles of rations and other relief goods... According to other people, an SDF helicopter dropped this container here and flew away.

You and Atsuro hurried over to get food...

: Hmm... We got some water and rations. It's dull, but we'll be okay until tomorrow.

: But, man! Don't they usually distribute this stuff to people themselves? This is like throwing a handful of food into an animal's cage!

Yeah, there's definitely a problem.

: Huh? About what?

: The lockdown around the Yamanote circle was so fast... The cordon was set up by the Self-Defense Force, not the police... And the way they just threw this relief aid into the area... Just from that, it's obvious that the government has no intention to rescue us soon.

: No way... What's going to happen to us, then?

: Well... In any case, let's keep looking somewhere else.

Alright, those four were a big block on their own, and the way my notes are, we have another block of 4 coming up, but I believe this event's mandatory, so let's get it out of the way now.

As you pass through Kanda, you meet a woman sitting in a building's shadow.

: Huh? That woman...

: Oh...? Is that you, Atsuro?

: So it is you, Miss Mari! Long time no see!

: It's sure been a while, Atsuro. How have you been?

: Oh, I'm great! I'm so full of energy that I don't know what to do with it!

: *chuckle* You haven't changed a bit...

: Hey, Atsuro! C'mere! You know that lady?

: Oh, yeah! Let me introduce you guys! This is Miss Mari. She tutored me in middle school.

: I'm Mari Mochizuki. It's nice to meet you. I'm currently a nurse at an elementary school.

No relation to Ryuji Mochizuki from Persona 3. Mari is a character I really like, but we'll get into that much later. She's voiced by Kimberly Brooks, who I know best as Shinobu from No More Heroes. She's also Barbara Gordon from the Batman Arkham games.

: Huh? Then you were able to get through nursing school? Congratulations!

Leaving Atsuro to his high spirits, you and Yuzu introduced yourselves...

: When is this blackout going to end? The water at my apartment has stopped running, too.

: I'm sure it is... The cause of it is still unclear, isn't it? People can bear with this for a day or so, but if it goes on... things will get out of hand.

: The weakest, the children, and the elderly will collapse, and violence will follow. If this was a natural disaster and people could see the tragedy, it'd be different...

: What do you mean, different?

: In times of disaster, civilization is maintained... but that isn't the case here. People are locked in, forced to endure this hardship. Eventually, they will snap.

: If even the electricity would come back, people could have some kind of daily lives. The worst problem then would be that we would be unable to get past the Yamanote line... I wonder what the government is doing out there...

That crate they dropped hardly seems like help. :colbert:

: ...This peace will only last until tomorrow, at most. It's all going to collapse. If one riot starts, all the pent-up anger will break out. It's very dangerous...

: ...But if that does happen, I hope you can be rational. Please, remember that.

: Even if I don't look it, I still work for the school. I have to try to set an example. Well, be careful, all of you.

Well, that was ominous. At least we have a solid moral compass to guide us, right? Anyway, that about wraps up what I have for today. After that event, I went and made Yuzu a Garm to replace her Waira, but that's about it I think. According to my notes, we have 3 events to choose from, but only enough time for one of them for now, so let's have a vote!

Out of these three events, which would you rather see?
Mari
Kaido & Honda
Something at a park

I'll give you guys 4-5 days to cast votes.

Havvvvve a NIcE daaYYy.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

And now we've been introduced to Honda and Mari.

Mari of course makes a good impression. Even though she hasn't seen any demon attacks, she's smart enough to know that civilization is breaking down.

Honda, we have much less of a read on. But his introduction, along with Gin and Kaido's scene bring up an interesting point: after a few days, won't everyone have picked up on what these COMPs really are?

For that matter, how many demons are active in the lockdown? If this were a full invasion, I would be expecting heavier casualties than we've seen. But I guess the COMPs and contracts are bottle-necking them so far.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MightyPretenders posted:

And now we've been introduced to Honda and Mari.

Mari of course makes a good impression. Even though she hasn't seen any demon attacks, she's smart enough to know that civilization is breaking down.

Honda, we have much less of a read on. But his introduction, along with Gin and Kaido's scene bring up an interesting point: after a few days, won't everyone have picked up on what these COMPs really are?

For that matter, how many demons are active in the lockdown? If this were a full invasion, I would be expecting heavier casualties than we've seen. But I guess the COMPs and contracts are bottle-necking them so far.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious that people are already starting to pick up on the fact that COMPs are demon portals of some sort - especially since there have been a few cases of unmanned COMPs spitting out demons and miasma like nuts, likely because their owners couldn't punch a cat in the face.

I don't think this is an invasion like, say, what you got in mainline SMT games. Something poked a hole in the wall between humans and demons, and now we're getting a slow trickle instead of a full outward force. That said, things are starting to snowball already, judging by how our death toll goes from "3 people who didn't actually die" to "50 redshirts that may not be able to be saved" in the course of a single night.

Also, let's hang out with Mari. She's sane.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Go for Mari, she seems nice and nice is important when society's about to collapse and chaos will break out.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Throwing in a vote for Honda and Kaido.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Throwing a vote for Mari. Supposedly, she's Atsuro's friend, so hopefully we'll get a chance to see someone giving him poo poo for being such a GEEK

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I think we should talk to Mari some more. We need to hold onto what little sanity we can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I'm going with Mari.

• Locked thread