Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

So what's everyone's next cassandra gig gonna be now that Bayley's debuted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

They're probably just going to run him as a Stone Cold-style anti-authority face

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

TNA has always had a problem with pushing guys they couldn't bother to hold onto.

Let's all read the LOLTNA wiki again

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

Let's all read the LOLTNA wiki again
Nevermind it's down, hopefully not permanently

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Sermon Baxter
Linden Quick
William Jefferson Clinton
Zack Sabre Jr.
Cobweb Redmond
Stock Nightingale

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

If this loving company doesn't book Aaron Rex vs. Baron Dax vs. Tyson Dux before they die…

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I fully expect them to pull their punches, Lesnar vs Ambrose style. It definitely won't leave the cage

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It would be indicative of the weirdly congested booking of late to send DIY after the Revival for a rematch only to have DIY break up in an unrelated story

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Who is clamoring for more Grado

He was Bobby Roode over til TNA overexposed him

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

*e

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 8, 2016

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I for one am glad to revisit the days of taped Smackdown and get my sperg on alongside my brethren over two-sentence summaries. Shame that it won't last

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

oatgan posted:

Smackdown looks good, again

I think on closer inspection, you'll find that "Cruiser" rhymes with "loser"

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I mean Shane being a part of SS is plausible, this being the company that it is. But it would make a lot of sense for Undertaker to come back as part of the team, letting the other four carry him through injury.

They'll probably stick with Shane tho. Who knows

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Spirit squad owns

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

No faces shall prosper

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Shoulda been Almas

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The change in NXT had less to do with the presence of indie stars and more to do with the swelling of the roster and increase in complexity of the product as Takeovers became more frequent. You go back to the old Takeovers and you'd have (1) the NXT championship main (2) Women's Title match (3) Tag Title match (4) and then (5) one or two more matches that were either debuts or undercard matches, if not a #1 contender bout.

The difference between now and then is that the undercard's upward mobility is gone. A big debut or an undercard win at Takeover felt like it was pointing in a direction, and that could take them to the main event. If the crowd got behind them, that could actually happen, and when they didn't it felt like a story even when they got swatted down. Contrast with Roddy Strong, whose debut was a shrug in every sense, or Ember Moon, who had all the markings of a Joe or Asuka-grade gatecrashing but has been wasted to RAW degrees. Very few wanted Baron Corbin to enter the NXT title picture but it seemed plausible that he could. Contrast that with Tye, who many want to see in the title picture but whose stature is such that no one would believe he could win it. Sami Zayn was a guy who could make a valiant effort and lose and still be someone who you could believe had what it took deep down to get to the top. Giving Tye the same treatment would ring false.

There are tops guys and there's everyone else. That has little to do with indie rep itself and more to do with the booking's tendency to let that rep do the heavy lifting when a guy debuts. Generico and PAC benefited from debuting as guys like any other, after which they were booked strongly and their background doled out bit by bit to establish them (it also allowed crowd favorite undercard guys like Tyler Breeze and underrated vets like Tyson Kidd to rise to the top). Finn also benefited from this, to an extent. So did DIY (whose level of indie fame was more on PAC's level than Finn's). But Owens' debut picked up a very specific story that had been strongly established elsewhere. After that every main event guy has been a debut at the high end of the card. Hell, Andrade was a guy whose introduction echoed other successful NXT guys, but by the time he arrived the top card was too ossified to allow him any momentum at all. Now he's in limbo along with everyone else who isn't Roode, Nak or Joe.

As the rovert of NXT alarmism, I've been saying all this two weeks ago, for months.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 1, 2016

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Does it feel to you that Bobby Roode has been building steam to a title shot, or was he just the next guy in line? Feels like the latter to me. All they had to do was make "earning a shot at the championship" his stated goal, which they did not do. The guys only realize the NXT championship is a thing once its current program is over. Another major change from old NXT.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

He was a spectacular, jacked high flyer. He was a white meat face champ who did a real good job of working tweener against the whitest meat face, Sami Zayn

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

You're not wrong but, you're also wrong. Having a defined, immediately recognizable character does you no favors in the transition from NXT to the main roster. Rusev is the exception that proves the rule

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

What background?
Just "he was in Japan". Might have even mentioned DG at some point, NXT was always a little looser with these things.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

They also teased Adam Rose as a Real American

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Sami and Neville had some good matches but I only got back into wrestling after Cesaro's "deadlift guy from cradle position into pop-up uppercut" botch recovery spot, that was something else

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Becky's mystery surgery made her reign feel really short and thin

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Good to see Cody finally settling in with workers on his level

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

IT is a great name, befitting a greatly large man

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

You all know they choose their names, right

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

it's a randomly generated miniboss name from a middling open world video game, so it's perfect for the man

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

super macho dude posted:

He better decide on a finisher because he's got about 18 listed on his wiki
He teased the elbow though that may not be canon

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The_Rob posted:

Are you kidding? Owens looks way more like a goon than hero in every way. He even has a loving neck beard. Hero is legit like 6'3 and now he has extra weight to elbow you with.
Owens and Joe have broad shoulders and are generally more endomorphic. Hero's taller but his profile is slimmer which makes his heaviness more noticeable.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Who the hell is Badd Bones

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I love that they're sticking with the worked MMA garbage

Also, the DCC being huge jobbers right out of the gate

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

So who is their booker right now because they might be taking the "wrestling is soap opera" thing a little too literally

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I hope the post-Rumble Smackdown has an Ascension match but the Broken Hardys come out as Konnor and Viktor and neither the absence of the originals or the Hardys' past are ever acknowledged

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The Randy / Wyatts storyline has been good but not good enough to make them rocketing into the main event seem natural. Especially if Cena and AJ and Dean and Miz and Ziggler are all shunted to the midcard over the course of two months. It's basically flipping that section of the card on its head.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Given that Sami's been even more profligate with his tweets of late it seems pretty certain he'd be jobbing if matched up with anyone at WM.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The fans are ready to cheer Jericho.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Gorn Myson posted:

Besides, what kind of person turns up to his job on one of the most important events of his life and says "gently caress it, I'll put no effort in because the people watching me don't like me much right now".
Brock Lesnar

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

hell I'd wear it.

And I think we all remember how well the last "keep Nakamura off TV for a month" angle worked out, and how it definitely did not kick off a wave of fan malaise that still has not subsided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Are there any other details of the fantasy you'd like to share