Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

nobody would do anything in an extra half hour they would just do more nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

is that a shirt. gross

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

its efed names all the way down

https://twitter.com/ceftaxias/status/764977011630673922

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ill take that bet

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

tjp is good

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

generation next destroying DIY in the finals will be dope as heck

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it's not weird when you look at the push corbin has continued to get

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah JR said as much on his podcast

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

lol

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

what do you mean

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

zahra is reformed

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

also been tweeting that she expects to be in orlando, socially

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

dragon gate isnt an indie but dgusa was

also pwg chikara etc.

roh isn't an indie anymore but was when steen left imo

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i do recommend nxt checks the integrity of their ringposts

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

joe is the sexiest im split between the KOs

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ehh check out his post-match promo in aaw after breaking the ring lol

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i'd put him at 15% droopier

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

undertaker vs cena was the only match i think i potentially cared about outside of an angle match

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

*randomly throws the belt on a guy in a six-man meaningless clusterfuck a month before the big show* ahh, thats the meaningful achievement i've been wanting for this guy

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

zack sabre jr isnt under contract though

who said theyre phasing out aj

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

zack sabre is a pure and noble boy and he would not sell out to the nazis

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah I remember Naomi having a lot of momentum before that injury

becky winning half the women's championship in the second fatal four-way of the night is a lovely excuse for a moment though lol

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the hall of fame is stupid

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

poor argument

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

free rachael ellering

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

chelsea continuing to wrestle in her wedding dress would be funny

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

who tweets scoops when MJC isn't there?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

if the title can only go on rising stars i hope you enjoy a promotion with no champions

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

its dark right now and its not even sunday yet

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

what's he being thanked for

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

nah

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

he wasnt even in the andre battle royal lol

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hmmmmmmmmm I respect your right to believe that but I must decline

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

curtis axel is bad and giving him even that non-win was too much

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

what the?!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

but theyre both dead.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

this is why they are scrambling to quash competition in other countries because they will have maximized their domestic profits and tv will never be as lucrative again. india and china are their plays for growth. shameless globalism from the nazis

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Djarum posted:

Like I said the UFC will be the first real sign of where things are going. They were expecting huge numbers for their next contract which I don't foresee being there now. ESPN and FS1 have done major cuts to staff, talent and production. I don't see a major bidding war between either of them and there isn't too many other players out there interested. CBS is involved with Belator and I don't see NBC wanting to throw more money at a product that isn't going to make them money or gain more viewers for other content.

WWE is in a bad situation their ratings are spiraling down along with not being able to make much money via advertising rates. Which this would be all well and good but I think a bigger issue with NBC is the fact that it is a awful platform to launch any new series off of. USA can't use Raw or Smackdown as a tentpole to launch other series since they have zero halo effect. For the most part people who watch WWE tune out immediately after the show is over. Now the shows being 2 and 3 hours might have a part to do with that, a large part in fact, but most other Networks can use their marquee sports programing to launch other shows and drive viewers through the channel.

I think stuff like baseball, football and basketball are going to still get large contracts for television but my gut tells me that the thinking of just because it is sports doesn't mean it is worth money anymore.

yeah iirc the current USA deal was negotiated when wwe's leverage was probably at its greatest point - it was the height of the LIVE PROGRAMMING WILL SAVE THE TV INDUSTRY fervor and USA was at their ratings nadir. and even then the fed settled for a deal that was way less than they were expecting. there's only gonna be fewer suitors next time around and rights fees will probably be down across the board because as espn is finding out, if you overpay for programming and the audience continues to diffuse then you suddenly can't keep the lights on. so trying to make their own way with the wwe network may have been a wise move for stability but it's not gonna grow the paying fan base

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the thing is that USA basically has nothing else, the days of them having lots of hit comedy-dramas are over and even a declining WWE is still probably their best performing show. it'd be the same deal with FS1, getting WWE on monday and tuesday nights would kill anything they have there currently except for MLB playoffs.

I don't think having fewer hit shows means you have more money. networks are going to have less to spend on even their best performing shows as viewership declines, and again the lack of bidders means they wouldn't have to spend as much to get them anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

to go back to the original question, the business as its currently situated isnt perpetually or infinitely sustainable irrelevant of ratings, because even if overall interest in the product is about the same, decreased ratings across the board correlate with decreased rights fees and tv rights fees are still a major income stream. if their next tv rights deal underwhelms then you will see cutbacks in production and talent, or you will see those talent dollars go to international prospects from markets they want to break into