Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of this opinion?
No you are wrong. Evil is good.
Correct
Correct except we SHOULD nuke it
Fats don't deserve to have opinions
View Results

• Locked thread
A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

Blue Train posted:

saw the same thing at a funeral here, they called that poo poo a homegoing tho? anyway the priest got up there talking about how this was a wake-up call that you need to get right with god and if you don't change your ways youre going to hell blah blah, it was horrible. think they were pentecostal tho, def not catholic

One of my aunts's families is Pentecostal and they are indeed horrible people. Just whip yourself into a frenzy so you get that natural high and then take that as a sign that God endorses all your horrible bigotry. I think the cousins that came out of that are more or less alright, one of them died after relapsing from a successful bone marrow transplant and he always seemed nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

achillesforever6 posted:

You'd think at this point the church would get rid of their dumb priest chasity and marriage laws seeing how priests are dying off and the reason those laws were put into place was so the church could hold the estate of the places where the priests lived.

It's coming.
Give it another decade or two, but female or married priests is coming to the Catholic Church.
Priests are getting rarer than poo poo these days, Ireland is a great example of this.
Ireland can't find priests to cover everywhere, and its getting worse.

As for funerals, I have said it before here, but catholic irish wakes and funeral rites should be forced upon the world.
I have not cried or laughed as hard at my own father's funeral, I learned more about the beautiful bastard that night than a hundred birthdays.
It's better than a million therapy sessions.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

InterFaced posted:

lmao I could've told you that guy was a pothead based on his photo alone.

Fun fact! That priest officiated my brother's wedding. He was a cool dude, had a snake and a crotch rocket. Neither of those things are euphemisms for his penis.

naem
May 29, 2011

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Saints are awesome and a great way to ease those pesky pagans into their conversion. Instead of having them praying to some fertility goddess to help their failing crops (like they have for untold generations) they can instead turn to Agnes from a few cities over, the patron saint of agriculture or whatever, to "intervene" on their behalf. It really is a great system!

The part where they never stop pagan worshiping their own human leaders is the troubling part

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

naem posted:

The part where they never stop pagan worshiping their own human leaders is the troubling part

Saints get de-canonized all the time

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

getting cannonized sounds fun. i bet you fly reaally far

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Eastern Catholic priests can marry, for example, and they are as valid as Roman Catholic priests. So no.

Where does one find Eastern Catholic priests? Are they in Narnia?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The East, you loving moron.

naem
May 29, 2011

Booblord Zagats posted:

Saints get de-canonized all the time

Whether or not the current group of human leaders encourage one specific past leader over another for official worship isn't the issue it that they do it at all

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

naem posted:

Whether or not the current group of human leaders encourage one specific past leader over another for official worship isn't the issue it that they do it at all

I getcha, but that said, at least the human ones can be proven to have existed unlike our Islamic buddy Moe

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

The East, you loving moron.

East Narnia?

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Nocheez posted:

Fun fact! That priest officiated my brother's wedding. He was a cool dude, had a snake and a crotch rocket. Neither of those things are euphemisms for his penis.

pot priest is cool and good. If the Catholic church wants a future in this country he should be made an arch-bishop or whatever asap.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Anywhere where Ukrainians live. I'm sure at this point there are some Ukrainians in Narnia, too.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Paladinus posted:

Anywhere where Ukrainians live. I'm sure at this point there are some Ukrainians in Narnia, too.

The Republic of Narnia decided to join the Russian Federation after a most legal referendum

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011
I entered the Catholic Church late in life because my parents just kind of stopped going, I'm pretty sure my paternal grandmother guilted my dad back into it. Needless to say I got enrolled in Catholic school at like 7 more or less. What was awesome was that since I wasn't baptised and I was first communion age I got fast tracked. I was baptised, received first communion, and confirmed all it once. Once I hit high school all my Catholic friends were pissed I didn't have to go through the confirmation classes.

Actual question though, what are the big differences between Roman Catholicism and the Eastern Orthodox Church?

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

GopherFlats posted:

I entered the Catholic Church late in life because my parents just kind of stopped going, I'm pretty sure my paternal grandmother guilted my dad back into it. Needless to say I got enrolled in Catholic school at like 7 more or less. What was awesome was that since I wasn't baptised and I was first communion age I got fast tracked. I was baptised, received first communion, and confirmed all it once. Once I hit high school all my Catholic friends were pissed I didn't have to go through the confirmation classes.

Actual question though, what are the big differences between Roman Catholicism and the Eastern Orthodox Church?

Eastern Orthodox priests gently caress

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
adult women

Altair Knight
Jun 1, 2006

Give me the timestamp of these SOMETHING WANNABE terrorists FBI. http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/elderly-priest-killed-in-french-church-attack-claimed-by-islamic-state/ar-BBuSqJG?ocid=ansmsnnews11 Observer their IPs and put them on my list. Also, if you like Star Trek and think an angry former military black man is your enemy gtfo my site.
EDIT: Trust me you're being watched.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Booblord Zagats posted:

I getcha, but that said, at least the human ones can be proven to have existed unlike our Islamic buddy Moe

You're kinda throwing bricks in a glass house. Historians of the period are split about 50-50 on whether Jesus has a basis on anyone who existed.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pope fell on his rear end today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aqj5b3LlKA

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Tiberius Thyben posted:

You're kinda throwing bricks in a glass house. Historians of the period are split about 50-50 on whether Jesus has a basis on anyone who existed.

I'm talking saints. Who aside from the angels being elevated to that status, are mostly pretty easy to prove were real

And also don't have a lot of evidence pointing that if they were real, they raped a lot of kids, as that's the lower clergy's job and should be much below the importance of a messiah

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Are you insinuating the pope is capable of missteps and thus fallable? That's heresy.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Is this the thread I can contribute to when I see a terrorism happen?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Cartouche posted:

Is this the thread I can contribute to when I see a terrorism happen?

Only catholic terrorism. Nonreligious or islam-type terror go in the general "hey guys there is now a terrorist atrack every single day of the year" thread, wherever that's gone to.

But yeah if you get inquisitioned or threatened with hell if you won't play "lets suck it outta a hose" with a priest, this would be a good place to post about it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

This is what you get for accepting gravity and apologizing to Gailieo.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

happyhippy posted:

This is what you get for accepting gravity and apologizing to Gailieo.

Nah as an infallable ubermensch he clearly meant to do it. Maybe a reminder and demonstration of the virtue of humility? :geno:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

happyhippy posted:

It's coming.
Give it another decade or two, but female or married priests is coming to the Catholic Church.
Priests are getting rarer than poo poo these days, Ireland is a great example of this.
Ireland can't find priests to cover everywhere, and its getting worse.

isn't this already the norm in Africa?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Back in the days of my tender youth I may have considered a vocation in the priesthood if I could have kept on with women. Before the whole "priests molesting boys" deal came out I remember actually enjoying going to mass, and I always felt like I could deliver a better homily than whatever father was phoning it in that Sunday. Oh well! I'm now married to a Jew gynecologist who does abortions and DNCs so I think that door is fairly closed.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Nathilus posted:

Nah as an infallable ubermensch he clearly meant to do it. Maybe a reminder and demonstration of the virtue of humility? :geno:

We get the joke, OP. It's just not very funny.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Paladinus posted:

We get the joke, OP. It's just not very funny.

Neither is your posting but you don't hear me bitching, do you? loving rude. And I'm not christian. I DONT HAVE TO FORGIVE! :black101:

A CISHET SHITLORD
Sep 10, 2014

LOURDE OF THE SHITS
Pillbug
His skull is not worthy of being part of the pope's skull throne

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

tripping and falling on his rear end was divinely ordained

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

hey everyone just post all your wack "the pope is unfallable" jokes right now and get it out of your system bc it's lame as gently caress. just get it outta your system. go ahead.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
So if I enjoy being Catholic does that mean I'd like Warhammer? Or is that just a one-way street?

naem
May 29, 2011

Zahgaegun posted:

So if I enjoy being Catholic does that mean I'd like Warhammer? Or is that just a one-way street?

Catholicism gives a +1 to all stats when playing grail knights vs vampires

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hemophilia posted:

hey everyone just post all your wack "the pope is unfallable" jokes right now and get it out of your system bc it's lame as gently caress. just get it outta your system. go ahead.

do not blaspheme

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zahgaegun posted:

You should stop raping children IMHO.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Warhammer 40k has floating skulls that sing hymns and shoot lasers. We need those for the modern church.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ceciltron posted:

Warhammer 40k has floating skulls that sing hymns and shoot lasers. We need those for the modern church.

Who would they shoot LASERs at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Jerry Cotton posted:

Who would they shoot LASERs at?

Unbelievers

• Locked thread