Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of this opinion?
No you are wrong. Evil is good.
Correct
Correct except we SHOULD nuke it
Fats don't deserve to have opinions
View Results

• Locked thread
Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

The Catholic Church ran the residential schools for kidnapped First Nations Children for 120 years where they were beaten, sexually abused, and used as slave labour. They only had a 5-10% death rate on average, though, and only one of my two Cree grandparents was raped by priests, so maybe they aren't all bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

my understanding is that catholics employ barbed whips and heavy cudgels to compel nonbelievers to join their cause, is this true?

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

the saints were the first pokemons? confirm/deny

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Tom Gorman posted:

my understanding is that catholics employ barbed whips and heavy cudgels to compel nonbelievers to join their cause, is this true?

In the res schools, yeah. Sometimes they used electric chairs, too.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

siiick

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

quote:

it is a Syſtem of Pageantry, Buffoonery, Foolery, Stupidity, Idolatry, Blaſphemy and Cruelty, all mix'd together, and work'd up with Blood; fit only for Stupid Fools and impertinent unthinking Buffoons. I will give you a late Inſtance of the unaccountable Stupidity of the Catholicks. It was a little while ago, at the Academy of Painting in the City of Bruges. A Piece was finishing there by one of their ableſt Hands for one of their Churches. It conſiſted of the following Groupe of Figures. On the Left-hand, Stood God the Father in the Form of an old Man with grey Hair almoſt white, and a long Beard of the ſame Colour: In his Right-hand he held a Globe, Signifying his Providence and Government of the World: On his Left-hand Stood his Son Jeſus, with a long Beard ſeemingly about Fifty, and with a Glory about his Head ; and between both hovered a Milkwhite Dove, Signifying the Holy Ghoſt. The Virgin Mary, drawn like Pharoah's Daughter at the Foundling-Hoſpital, was kneeling (with her Hands and Eyes lifted up) before the Father and the Son, who held a Laurel Crown in their Hands to adorn the "holy Virgin's Brows. There is ſomething ſo Shocking, impious and blaſphemous in this Piece of Idolatry, that at firſt it Startled me: But the Ridicule in the Soleciſm and Anachroniſm of the Son's being a Gentleman advanced in Years, and the Mother painted like a young blooming Girl, inſtead of a grave Matron, almoſt provok'd a Smile. This impious and ridiculous Piece, was to be hung up in one of their holy Places, for exciting Devotion, and receiving Adoration.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

The Tao Jones posted:

Ex caTHEdra, wouldn't wanna BE ya!

*skates away popishly*

:vince:

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
also catholic friendos: here is a helpful guide from our friends at wikihow on coping in this dark time

http://www.wikihow.com/Handle-Anti-Catholic-Persecution

my only regret is that there are no hilarious drawings to accompany it :sigh:

edit: but there are in this "related" (?) article: http://www.wikihow.com/Apply-for-USPS-Jobs

ANIME IS BLOOD fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jul 21, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Nathilus posted:

Nm it doesn't sound good in german. It sounds like a light beer.

That's why I say no nukes.

I'm not sure if they meant that poo poo to look evil, or if the notion that the architecture looks evil has developed in response to the harm wraught by the church. The end result is the same though.

It's just dick measuring. Back in the day the Gothic style cathedral was invented. These have the "flying buttresses," those huge arched rafters, BUT, the reason for that imposing size was to fit in massive stained glass and a massive orb-like chandelier in the ceiling like a giant holy disco ball representing heaven. So if you're in one back in the day when there was a ton of empty space around it when the sun was out you were basically walking inside a giant glowing kaleidoscope.

So like this huge oppressive form some Catholic cathedrals take was initially to maximize the amount of glass you could get. But then Bishops would be like gently caress it I want my huge building completed in my life time but but but it's still gotta be YOOOGE so you got all these ones that are just a giant stone box without a lot of the pretty stuff that also have their most cherished interred all in less accessible underground crypts (easier than having them entombed throughout the building's alcoves) that are basically a church/catacombs in Diablo 1.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

It's just dick measuring. Back in the day the Gothic style cathedral was invented. These have the "flying buttresses," those huge arched rafters, BUT, the reason for that imposing size was to fit in massive stained glass and a massive orb-like chandelier in the ceiling like a giant holy disco ball representing heaven. So if you're in one back in the day when there was a ton of empty space around it when the sun was out you were basically walking inside a giant glowing kaleidoscope.

So like this huge oppressive form some Catholic cathedrals take was initially to maximize the amount of glass you could get. But then Bishops would be like gently caress it I want my huge building completed in my life time but but but it's still gotta be YOOOGE so you got all these ones that are just a giant stone box without a lot of the pretty stuff that also have their most cherished interred all in less accessible underground crypts (easier than having them entombed throughout the building's alcoves) that are basically a church/catacombs in Diablo 1.

Well, thats the thing about Duomo Cathedral of Milan. It's really pretty outside especially sunset, but so dark inside you can barely see anything. Real buzzkill.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Sekenr posted:

Well, thats the thing about Duomo Cathedral of Milan. It's really pretty outside especially sunset, but so dark inside you can barely see anything. Real buzzkill.

cathedrals are often really pretty outside but not so much inside, or vice-versa

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
that said milan's duomo is the inferior duomo :argh:

florence says: suck my goddam bells

El Boot
Mar 18, 2009

Thank Dog It's Friday
get a load of this Ivan Karamazov motherfucker in here

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

that said milan's duomo is the inferior duomo :argh:

florence says: suck my goddam bells

This is a relly simplistic lazy duomo. Look how this motherfucker reaches for heavens

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine
michaelangelo told the pope to go gently caress himself for eternity

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Sekenr posted:

This is a relly simplistic lazy duomo. Look how this motherfucker reaches for heavens

simplistic my rear end; santa maria del fiore was the largest free-standing dome constructed in christendom since the goddam hagia sophia in constantinople; it is basically a symbol of the renaissance and that took insane amounts of medieval tech

read Brunelleschi's Dome, motherfucker, and realize how wrong you are

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
the dome so nice they built it twice

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Fun fact: Vatican's ATM machines have Latin as one of the languange options, so if ancient Romans wanted to withdraw some dinarii - they could use the machine no problem

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
meanwhile, in Milan:

just replace "cores" with "spires" :smug:

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Wow, that's some serious Milan hatin here

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Having been to these cathedrals I am enjoying this architecture chat.

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast
Catholic church tldr: Lots of falic symbols, womens are poo poo, black people are poo poo, read bible get food kinda "charity", supporting Hitler and Mussolini. Shaking hands with warcriminals, violent conversion of Celts, Slavs and Scandinavians to their religion, after that fighting other christian sects for few hundred years. loving up middle East, far East, Africa. One of the biggest banks known to man.

I could really go on. Hitler seems like a pretty chill dude compared to catholic church.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I worked for a Catholic organization once and everybody was a loving creep.

They openly admitted they would repeatedly contact the richest and oldest people (they had software and databases) to extract $$$. They'd be excited if the person was aged to senility

They hated poors, just completely loathed them. But enjoyed their once a month poverty-tourism

Additionally, they looked down on anyone who went to public or state schools.

Like most catholics, completely nosy

Most of the dudes had repressed homosexual urges, etc.

Sick artwork though, believe the hype

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Hmm it's morning now and I just checked again but the catholic church is still literally the devil. Weird.

https://youtu.be/bctivboqvKo

Nathilus fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 21, 2016

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Catholics are very interested in boy souls

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I grew up in an Italian and Irish Catholic family and to this date I still kind of dislike White Anglo-Saxon Protestants. This is helped by the fact that I live down south and down here they're mostly evangelical southern Baptist loonies. I think the Catholic Church has a terrible hosed up history and Martin Luther had some valid complaints, but this is the modern day and I think megachurch cults are way worse than the papacy. Catholics are the lesser of two evils in my book

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
My mother was raised Catholic. Her father was a pedophile rapist who regularly got drunk and chased her through the woods with a rifle. Whenever he'd come home drunk, Grandma would call the priest. He'd come down and get him even more drunk in an attempt to calm him down/make him pass out. The priest also had a habit of taking alter boys out on his boat. Alone. One day he got transferred away. My mother never figured it out until the scandals broke in 2003.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
How many hail mary's do I have to say before the priest lets me get shitfaced on the blood of christ? Will he rape me while I'm passed out? I don't care. hail satan.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
At worst we're a benign evil these days. But I'm sure we've got one or two good crusades left in the tank

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Booblord Zagats posted:

At worst we're a benign evil these days. But I'm sure we've got one or two good crusades left in the tank

Well what are you waiting for? For more Eastern European countries to go Islam? Tick tock.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I was drafted as an alter boy for years and it was the most boring goddamned thing ever. I used to pass out and forget to ring the bell cause I was up all night playing Mortal Kombat. I didn't even get raped. Not even once. This is bullshit. I want my hush money.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

notZaar posted:

Well what are you waiting for? For more Eastern European countries to go Islam? Tick tock.

Current Pope's a drat wiener kid and the last one was/is a broke-dick. The next Pope needs to be a pissed off Pollack or a furious Frenchman so we can launch an atomic crusade

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Nathilus posted:

Pick a century and I'll give you horrors to melt your loving brain.

12th century BC

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Nathilus posted:

Anyway we all know about every single catholic priest's devotion to little boys but that's just the tip of the iceburg.

Well, as long as it's just the tip...

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Gammatron 64 posted:

I grew up in an Italian and Irish Catholic family and to this date I still kind of dislike White Anglo-Saxon Protestants. This is helped by the fact that I live down south and down here they're mostly evangelical southern Baptist loonies. I think the Catholic Church has a terrible hosed up history and Martin Luther had some valid complaints, but this is the modern day and I think megachurch cults are way worse than the papacy. Catholics are the lesser of two evils in my book

I'll grant you that megachurches are godawful and even the southern baptists at large have major issues. Catholicism doesn't have a monopoly on evil. What it does have is a structural corruption that none of the protestant churches can even hold a candle to. Evangelicals are crazy but they aren't covering up a worldwide pedophilia ring. Hell even scientologists can't indoctrinate, murder, and gently caress with peoples' lives fast enough to keep up, if only because there aren't enough of them.

I understand you'd like to avert your eyes to the sins of the faith you were born into, but goddamn dude. It is a nightmarish contraption operating on the backs of drat near enslaved generations.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Drink Cheerwine posted:

12th century BC

The century in which the great queen spider was first cloaked in flesh upon this earth.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
My mom is a total beta who still goes to church and their priest just died. She's all sad telling me how they're having trouble finding a new one and I'm trying not to laugh about it.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

InterFaced posted:

My mom is a total beta who still goes to church and their priest just died. She's all sad telling me how they're having trouble finding a new one and I'm trying not to laugh about it.

:unsmith:

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
oh hey remember to give 10% of your paycheck you sinful fucks. A church who's headquarters is a giant walled city filled with priceless art needs your fuckin' money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Nathilus posted:

I think the current pope is kinda cool though? He's complict sure but as far as I'm aware he hasn't been accused of skullfucking any children and he's actually kinda trying to unfuck the poor, which goes to show that anything truly can happen. Be warned you might one day accidentally fart out a unicorn.

But surely he inherited the crusades??

(btw your great great grandfather was a murderer please report to prison)

• Locked thread