Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

I know you weird film analysis people love incoherent story things, but that's not mine, or a lot of people's bag.
What if I didn't find the story incoherent. What then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

K. Waste posted:

David Ayer isn't quoted at all in this article.
It's like when they credit Iron Man for doing something X-Men: The Last Stand did two years earlier.

To be fair, Iron Man followed up on it much quicker and more satisfying than the X-Men films did. X3 was practically apologizing for itself with that end credit sequence.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
this movie is pretty bad

it suffers from the same thing a lot of movies that have large main casts do in that its unfocused and because of that the story ends up boring.

Also Jared Leto is literally the worst joker.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Doorknob Slobber posted:

this movie is pretty bad

it suffers from the same thing a lot of movies that have large main casts do in that its unfocused and because of that the story ends up boring.

Also Jared Leto is literally the worst joker.

Jared Leto's Joker is actually pretty goddamned awesome. It's kinda sad that people didn't like him. He's one of the more interesting versions when you think about it . He's definitely not a FUN Joker - he's actually kinda scary. I loved it. SO abusively crazy.

From the very start of the movie when they went and played each character's style of music I had my concerns with the movie. When each music cut blared, I totally understood what they wanted to do, but it was clumsy and ham-fisted.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
This movie starts out decently. Once you get a little over halfway, it drops off hard. Too bad Harley and Joker aren't the villains for the next Batman movie.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Spacebump posted:

This movie starts out decently. Once you get a little over halfway, it drops off hard. Too bad Harley and Joker aren't the villains for the next Batman movie.

you don't know that. Maybe they hired Deathstroke to do what they failed to do... many, many, times.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I want Joker to bust them all out, and have them join his gang!

Drifter posted:

From the very start of the movie when they went and played each character's style of music I had my concerns with the movie. When each music cut blared, I totally understood what they wanted to do, but it was clumsy and ham-fisted.

I loved that part, I wish Slipknot had got that :rip:

It is cheesy, but then I've never seen a superhero movie that wasn't.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Having skimmed this thread full of people gushing over a film that was edited by a firm specializing in film trailers, I am moved to ask myself: Is there a single major Hollywood franchis that the Cinema Discusso clown terrarium (to borrow some other goons extremely accurate turn of phrase) doesn't reflexively interpret as a brilliantly subversive work of political commentary?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Helsing posted:

Having skimmed this thread full of people gushing over a film that was edited by a firm specializing in film trailers, I am moved to ask myself: Is there a single major Hollywood franchis that the Cinema Discusso clown terrarium (to borrow some other goons extremely accurate turn of phrase) doesn't reflexively interpret as a brilliantly subversive work of political commentary?

marvel movies

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Drifter posted:

Jared Leto's Joker is actually pretty goddamned awesome. It's kinda sad that people didn't like him. He's one of the more interesting versions when you think about it . He's definitely not a FUN Joker - he's actually kinda scary. I loved it. SO abusively crazy.

Maybe its just because that they didn't get to spend very much time on the character so he comes off unimpressive. To me it felt like instead of the Joker being a character to himself they relied mostly on his makeup and costume. He almost could have been any generic crazy gangster, but pale with green hair. It just felt like he didn't really pack the punch I'm used to having with Jokers in Batman.

Totally agree about the music and felt like for almost the entire movie the music stood out in a similar way.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Perhaps a hamster posted:

What if I didn't find the story incoherent. What then.

Then you are lost!

*cue John William's music*

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

Then you are lost!

*cue John William's music*

Ahahah.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I had the chance to take a look at the "Suicide Squad: Behind the scenes with the worst heroes ever" book and is pretty neat. Aside of the usual preeliminary sketches, interviews with the crew and cast, BTS pictures, etc. The book includes bonus material like a reproduction of Waller's dossier on the Squad members, the manual of procedures from Belle Reve to deal with Diablo's powers or June Moon's archeological report (with pictures and all) of the place where she discovered Enchantress.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Helsing posted:

Most of them.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Helsing posted:

All art is political, Helsing. A d&d poster should know this, for shame.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Helsing posted:

I'd say most of them. The DCEU is pretty much it, and only because it's both ambitious and divisive as all hell.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
There are really like three or four series that are celebrated despite controversy, and it is usually due to the choice of directors.

Nobody gives a poo poo about, for example, Divergent Series: Insurgent. Or X-Men.

People just like David Ayer.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'd say most of them. The DCEU is pretty much it, and only because it's both ambitious and divisive as all hell.

DCEU is also not really subversive in the slightest unless you've been following Batman for 40 years.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Black Bones posted:

All art is political, Helsing. A d&d poster should know this, for shame.

Everything is political. It's the "brilliantly subversive" part that I'm chuckling over. Especially since it seems like the go-to analysis for every film has this haiku-like uniformity - it's always some variation on the idea that the hero is really the villain, an observation which usually comes off as either banal and uninteresting (anti-heroes and moral grey areas are such common tropes these days), or as a fervid projection of SMG's over active imagination filling in gaps left by incompetent and inconsistent screen writing or direction. Often the films that attract this commentary are so widely reviled by middle-brown opinion that one also gets the impression that these film opinions are sort of like a hipster seeking out the ugliest kitsch possible to signal their authenticity.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Helsing posted:

Everything is political. It's the "brilliantly subversive" part that I'm chuckling over. Especially since it seems like the go-to analysis for every film has this haiku-like uniformity - it's always some variation on the idea that the hero is really the villain, an observation which usually comes off as either banal and uninteresting (anti-heroes and moral grey areas are such common tropes these days), or as a fervid projection of SMG's over active imagination filling in gaps left by incompetent and inconsistent screen writing or direction. Often the films that attract this commentary are so widely reviled by middle-brown opinion that one also gets the impression that these film opinions are sort of like a hipster seeking out the ugliest kitsch possible to signal their authenticity.

Looks to me like you're working in reverse from your thesis to backfill an argument against people's sincerity in Movie Opinions

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Looks to me like you're working in reverse from your thesis to backfill an argument against people's sincerity in Movie Opinions

Whoa you mean to say a D&D regular thinks in clichés and unloads on strawmen? I refuse to believe such a thing.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Helsing posted:

Everything is political. It's the "brilliantly subversive" part that I'm chuckling over.

yeah this dumb phrase you made up is pretty laughably stupid

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Helsing posted:

This is the worst post I've read all weekend.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Also, you do know imagination filling in the gaps is how all art has worked ever, right? "Oh, you found meaning in this juxtaposition of sounds and pictures" is not the hot burn you seem to think it is. The interest of any given reading is discutable, and as a matter of fact it is discussed, but you should try doing it sometimes! It's fun!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Helsing posted:

Superpowered characters can be both villainous and heroic, depending on how they are depicted (batman's the most obvious and famous example, but it can be done with almost all of them). Whether it's brilliant or subversive is up for debate/discussion here in the movie forum, you should join in!

It's still SA, so mockery is fine and everyone does it, HOWEVER you will get it a lot worse if you indulge in conspiracy logic about movie fans more than talking about the movies themselves.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Whoa you mean to say a D&D regular thinks in clichés and unloads on strawmen? I refuse to believe such a thing.

:drat:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Its kind of telling that the only time any permutation or synonym of the couplet "brilliantly subversive" ever gets posted in CineD is when someone starts tilting at windmills, imo

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Its kind of telling that the only time any permutation or synonym of the couplet "brilliantly subversive" ever gets posted in CineD is when someone starts tilting at windmills, imo

"secret genius" comes up a lot, as if you need to be some kind of a savant to write a novel or make a film.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
It's that by making the issue about whether or not the film is "brilliantly subversive" or made by a "secret genius," the philistine seeks to undermine the actual activity of appraisal or critical reading at all. This is because of a bound up sense of not wanting to be "tricked." It's reactionary hyperbole to set the standard of personal scrutiny so high as to render it meaningless.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Advertising doesn't work on me. It only works on stupid people.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Squad Squad was written by a secret genius, what does this even mean? Like the Star Wars Ring Theory?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tenzarin posted:

Squad Squad was written by a secret genius, what does this even mean? Like the Star Wars Ring Theory?

The thesis is basically that things outside of cultural norms are irrational and should be disregarded.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
drat, looks like the CineD hivemind is out in full force today.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

drat, looks like the CineD hivemind is out in full force today.

Buddy, I didn't even like this movie, I just think trying to write off all positive claims as some sort of narrative script that's part of a larger clique conspiracy to be loving dumb as poo poo

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

K. Waste posted:

It's that by making the issue about whether or not the film is "brilliantly subversive" or made by a "secret genius," the philistine seeks to undermine the actual activity of appraisal or critical reading at all. This is because of a bound up sense of not wanting to be "tricked." It's reactionary hyperbole to set the standard of personal scrutiny so high as to render it meaningless.

The entire notion of academics hiding subversive messages in art is passé anyways. Yet Helsing reacts to this nonthreat with the cynical wisdom of ironic detachment: "don't you know corporations use movies to make profit? Nothing matters lol"

Irony of that sort, as a subversive strategy, reached its apex and died with Pepe Frog. 'Ironic' identification with nazism (along with 'ironic' pedophilia, etc.) is now deployed as the ultimate social suicide, a guarantee that you will never accomplish anything. "Don't you know corporations use society to make profit?'' Goodbye, GBS.

In 2016 we talk on terms of like kynical overidentification. If you're going to do the pretentious cynic thing, Helsing, at least update your targets. It's not the 1970s anymore.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Black Bones posted:

I want Joker to bust them all out, and have them join his gang!

This is what I thought Suicide Squad was going to be about to begin with.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Buddy, I didn't even like this movie, I just think trying to write off all positive claims as some sort of narrative script that's part of a larger clique conspiracy to be loving dumb as poo poo

It's Ferrinus, he's being facetious.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I was thinking about this again this weekend while listening to the soundtrack.

I still don't understand why the soundtrack has a few covers, but the movie used zero of them. Even the track, "You Don't Own Me" is the original instead of the cover on the soundtrack.

That had to be expensive right? To license the music, commission a band to make a cover, then use the original song (which probably incurs it's own separate licensing fee?)?

E: overstated the amount of covers

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 10, 2016

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

I said come in! posted:

This is what I thought Suicide Squad was going to be about to begin with.

I thought they were going to be tasked with taking him down after he released something Really-Bad-Bad, and either getting destroyed or joining up with him.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You never do much to break away from strawmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

K. Waste posted:

Right, so the responsibility is on anyone who liked a movie to prove that the movie was "brilliant" and made by a "genius" or else not only are any thoughts and feelings inspired by the feeling wrong, they're illusory. Suicide Squad gave me fake happiness, it gave my wife fake thoughts. You yourself, Kenny, have had your mind infected with fake, and to fix it you have to realize that the only real thing is nothing.

• Locked thread