Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Ringo Star Get posted:

I have a friend who works as a social worker for those with mental disabilities. Short answer, cops have zero training on how to deal with them.

An example: he had a client with a mental disability FREAK THE gently caress OUT and went nuts - he was schizophrenic along with being autistic. This happened luckily outside a hospital but someone called the police because they thought some psycho was out to beat up people. Cops came, and despite my friend telling the officers how to handle the situation, they grouped up on the schizophrenic autistic client, slammed him to the ground, cuffed him, and then threw him into the back of an ambulance head-first.

The police are trained to deal with the general populace and civilians. People with special needs are not on that list because it honestly takes a lot of training to know how to read the situation, understand it, and handle it. It also takes a lot of time, and that time can be better spent going after other criminal activity. So basically, cops come in, restrain physically with excessive force, and then get them into an ambulance or into a situation to have the person injected with drugs or "calmed down".

Long story short: it's incredibly easy for someone with mental disabilities to be shot by cops.

Isn't this why a ton of people with mental illnesses are in jail? Because cops treat them like normal criminals and not people with issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I think the important lesson is doing all the right things and complying in the most obvious ways possible still gets you shot.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Basically you should shoot cops on sight because you're way more likely to make it out alive

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Everyone should wear fake peadostaches.

That'll confuse the gently caress out of cops, thinking you are one of them.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
Its depressing to think that in the states, if your 12 year old black kid takes a growth spurt, you will have to sit him down and explain to him how to act around cops or they might kill him. Also to never call them for help as they won't and probably just shoot you regardless of circumstance.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
So have they actually released the 911 call of the person saying, "some guy has a gun and wants to kill himself" or is that a 100% bullshit excuse the police are trying to float as a reason for them shooting unarmed people?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Shnag posted:

Its depressing to think that in the states, if your 12 year old black kid takes a growth spurt, you will have to sit him down and explain to him how to act around cops or they might kill him. Also to never call them for help as they won't and probably just shoot you regardless of circumstance.

"12 year old black kid takes a growth spurt"

Dude, you probably shouldn't let them out of kindergarten without that particular life lesson.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Cthulu Carl posted:

"12 year old black kid takes a growth spurt"

Dude, you probably shouldn't let them out of kindergarten without that particular life lesson.

<mom in a typical up-scale suburb calls police to complain about someone's car obstructing her driveway>
<cops arrive 30 minutes later but the car is gone>
<they approach the front door to tell her they were here>
<black male teen (~15yrs) approaches on bike from the road, dismounts and starts walking to the front door the cops are at>
<police draw their guns on the teen>
<suburban mom opens the door and tells the cops not to shoot her son>
<cops ignore the mom and tell the teen to get on the ground and then frisk him>

Is this something I made up or an actual news story?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Blistex posted:

So have they actually released the 911 call of the person saying, "some guy has a gun and wants to kill himself" or is that a 100% bullshit excuse the police are trying to float as a reason for them shooting unarmed people?

Did a google, nothing found.
The priority here is not to show the cop had a reason, it's to stop the news narrative and make it cop friendly.
So news reports go 'They receieved a 911 saying he was armed..' is better than 'the cop opened fire for no reason'.
Most cop faults will have them instantly go into media distraction mode, not fessing up to what they did.

gently caress, even that cop who shot the black guy in the back several times, walk over and PLANT a taser beside his dying body, the cops were going 'he was going for the officers taser' to the press the whole time.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Blistex posted:

<mom in a typical up-scale suburb calls police to complain about someone's car obstructing her driveway>
<black male teen (~15yrs) approaches on bike from the road, dismounts and starts walking to the front door the cops are at>

That one black professor or whatever was arrested for trying to get into his own house so.... I'm gonna go 'Actual News Story' on this one.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Blistex posted:

Some weird old person probably did call.

10 years ago or so my uncle was woken up when SWAT was tapping on his windows to let him know they were out there surrounding the house next door and to stay down. Some old guy across the street called the cops and said that the neighbor had chopped up his wife and was going to kill himself. They were outside for 5 hours (during which time someone shot a hole in the house) before breaking down the doors only to find that nobody was home. The people who lived there were out of town for several days already at that point. They spent 5 hours negotiating with nobody and damaging the house and surrounding properties (fences and lights for which nobody was compensated) because some old weirdo with dementia had a bad dream and called the cops.

So, yeah, all it takes is one call from a paranoid or confused person to cause all kinds of chaos.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

The_Franz posted:

Some weird old person probably did call.

10 years ago or so my uncle was woken up when SWAT was tapping on his windows to let him know they were out there surrounding the house next door and to stay down. Some old guy across the street called the cops and said that the neighbor had chopped up his wife and was going to kill himself. They were outside for 5 hours (during which time someone shot a hole in the house) before breaking down the doors only to find that nobody was home. The people who lived there were out of town for several days already at that point. They spent 5 hours negotiating with nobody and damaging the house and surrounding properties (fences and lights for which nobody was compensated) because some old weirdo with dementia had a bad dream and called the cops.

So, yeah, all it takes is one call from a paranoid or confused person to cause all kinds of chaos.

There was that brief period of time when YouTube superstars were getting their house raided by SWAT teams because people called in with misleading information to intentionally send violence to a stranger's doorstep.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Blistex posted:

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/black-teen-fostered-white-parents-mistaken-burglar-attacked-cops/

https://news.vice.com/article/four-years-nypd-shot-unarmed-teen-ramarley-graham-call-for-justice

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140219/13105826286/cop-shoots-teen-holding-wii-controller-his-own-home.shtml

http://www.policestateusa.com/2014/aiyana-stanley-jones-raid/

From last one:

quote:

A man named Mark Robinson was detained on the sidewalk while walking his dog, just before the raid. He repeatedly told officers, “There are children in the house,” yet his warnings went unheeded. He was pinned to the ground with officers’ boots on his neck and back, reported attorney Geoffrey Fieger.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Bill NYSE posted:

There was that brief period of time when YouTube superstars were getting their house raided by SWAT teams because people called in with misleading information to intentionally send violence to a stranger's doorstep.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/07/serial-swatter-stalker-and-doxer-mir-islam-gets-just-1-year-in-jail/

Some swatter shitbag got some jail time for it. There are a lot more who will probably never be caught because they are in Russia routing their VOIP calls through TOR or a VPN.

Zidrooner
Jul 20, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jesus. Pet-murdering psycho kills a child, claims that the (flashbanged) grandmother tried to steal his weapon causing him to fire (although they only detained the grandmother much later), and during two trials the jury is nowhere near close to finding him guilty eventually leading to him getting off Scott free. gently caress the US, it's police, and it's citizens lmao

Zidrooner fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 24, 2016

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler
In a follow up that should surprise no one, the autistic boy in this story is highly traumatized by what happened.

Anyone familiar with working with people with ASD would recognize that they lack the theory of mind required to put traumatic events like this into any sort of context that they can deal with.

What a poo poo thing to happen, this is going to have sincere and profound impact on this man's development

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Serrath posted:

In a follow up that should surprise no one, the autistic boy in this story is highly traumatized by what happened.

Anyone familiar with working with people with ASD would recognize that they lack the theory of mind required to put traumatic events like this into any sort of context that they can deal with.

What a poo poo thing to happen, this is going to have sincere and profound impact on this man's development

This is going to impact anyone to have someone who cares for you shot in front of you and left to bleed, especially if he's your handler

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

unpacked robinhood posted:

This is going to impact anyone to have someone who cares for you shot in front of you and left to bleed, especially if he's your handler

I phrased my post poorly. People on her spectrum experience these sorts of events differently in ways that wind up being much more treatment resistant and resistant to change

But you're right, it'd be a really awful thing to happen to anyone

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shnag posted:

Its not like they have some kind of quota to meet. wait, they do .

the police dont have arrest quotas in the same way employees of BestBuy dont have extended warranty quotas

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51t1OsPSdBc

I'm tired of the motherfuckin jackin

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

You have 5 seconds to comply with an officer's orders, why you bother to question, and end up like luggage is on you

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
If was a black guy with a kid, I'd make sure that every single photo of him on facebook would be so wholesome that even grandma wouldn't put it on her fridge. That way when the cops shoot him for walking and eating a burger after dark, they'd have to show pictures of him beaming in a sweatervest while calling him a thug that had it coming. God forbid a teenager post a picture of him not smiling.

Rutibex posted:

the police dont have arrest quotas in the same way employees of BestBuy dont have extended warranty quotas

My Dad once told me be more vigilant about speeding at the end of the month as the cops would be looking to meet their quota. Its so dumb.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Rutibex posted:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/cops-suing-nypd-police-quotas-arrests-article-1.2549579

http://www.npr.org/2015/04/04/395061810/despite-laws-and-lawsuits-quota-based-policing-lingers

http://www.dailynews.com/general-news/20160503/cops-claim-harassment-for-speaking-up-against-alleged-lapd-arrest-quotas

You were saying?

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
He was saying you can't read

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Zidrooner posted:

Jesus. Pet-murdering psycho kills a child, claims that the (flashbanged) grandmother tried to steal his weapon causing him to fire (although they only detained the grandmother much later), and during two trials the jury is nowhere near close to finding him guilty eventually leading to him getting off Scott free. gently caress the US, it's police, and it's citizens lmao

Not only that, he got his job back,

Cop Who Shot and Killed 7-Year-Old Girl While Filming a Reality Show is a Police Officer Again

Read more at http://thefreethoughtproject.com/cop-shot-killed-7-year-old-girl-filming-reality-show-reinstated/#Gk05ZxuSJaUjUGXu.99

The official response,

"It’s tragic what happened to Aiyana, it’s tragic. Sometimes, we’re in a high-risk occupation, mistakes happen, and sometimes those mistakes result in tragedies, but we move on from that.”

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

not adding value on SA one post at a time

:thesperg:

Feedback Agency
Apr 23, 2014

of course all the news outlets are going to make it seem like the black guy was shot on purpose

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
what's great is that whether the official police story is true or a desperate weirdo lie, it's still awful and terrifying :)

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I think that cop shouldn't have tried to murder that retard when he accidentally shot the unarmed black man.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Were they filming an unboxing video btw ?

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
I was hearing the other day about the U.S. military, about how they overhauled their training programs after discovering that most soldiers don't actually shoot to kill in combat situations. The average person, even when given weapons training, will avoid aiming to kill the enemy and will generally just fire to make noise and suppress because killing someone who isn't about to kill you is actually really loving hard. So the American military (along with most other first-world militaries, I imagine) overhauled their combat training to include a whole bunch of Skinnerian conditioning - training their soldiers to shoot to kill as an automatic, physical response, to fight back before their higher brain functions have time to wonder if they should really be killing people. As a result modern U.S. infantry are pretty loving terrifying.

Then they leave the army and become cops.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Feedback Agency posted:

of course all the news outlets are going to make it seem like the black guy was shot on purpose

Yeah, the official narrative that the officer was aiming for a mentally disabled person unable to comprehend why what he was doing was wrong and missed, wounding someone else in the process is much better.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

FISTS CURE WOMEN posted:

Isn't this why a ton of people with mental illnesses are in jail? Because cops treat them like normal criminals and not people with issues?

If we start looking at stuff other than "they did a crime and that's bad" we're gonna have to revamp our entire justice system

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Keg posted:

I think that cop shouldn't have tried to murder that retard when he accidentally shot the unarmed black man.

:shittypop:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

The Bananana posted:

They shot the wrong guy

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:laffo: this guy got probated for saying this and then it turned out to be the cop's actual excuse.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Fargo Fukes posted:

I was hearing the other day about the U.S. military, about how they overhauled their training programs after discovering that most soldiers don't actually shoot to kill in combat situations. The average person, even when given weapons training, will avoid aiming to kill the enemy and will generally just fire to make noise and suppress because killing someone who isn't about to kill you is actually really loving hard. So the American military (along with most other first-world militaries, I imagine) overhauled their combat training to include a whole bunch of Skinnerian conditioning - training their soldiers to shoot to kill as an automatic, physical response, to fight back before their higher brain functions have time to wonder if they should really be killing people. As a result modern U.S. infantry are pretty loving terrifying.

what, that old rear end, long discredited study? soldiers who have guns and are told to shoot people generally will. it doesn't take any special conditioning. dehumanizing others isn't difficult at all, as shown by the entirety of human history.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Fargo Fukes posted:

I was hearing the other day about the U.S. military, about how they overhauled their training programs after discovering that most soldiers don't actually shoot to kill in combat situations.

We were specifically trained adn instructed not to shoot to kill, because a wounded soldier is more debilitating to the enemy than a dead one.
I didnt become a cop though.

Maybe i shoulda.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Serious Frolicking posted:

what, that old rear end, long discredited study? soldiers who have guns and are told to shoot people generally will. it doesn't take any special conditioning. dehumanizing others isn't difficult at all, as shown by the entirety of human history.

Yeah, "this loving jungle makes it hard to see the gooks" *sprays badly aimed bullets, hits trees* doesn't mean grunts didn't want to shoot their fellow man out of respect for the sanctity of human life.

hip check please
Jan 11, 2012

Imagine living in America. You somehow make it through the whole day without being killed in a mass shooting and then you get gunned down by a cop and when you ask him why he says "I don't know."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Fargo Fukes posted:

Pro-tip: Most soldiers hate cops, because they loving hated MPs

It takes a special kind of petulant child to leave the military and join the police

• Locked thread