Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Thanks for making this thread. I don't really watch anime anymore, but I read a lot of manga during slow points at work, so I binged most of it last night and finished it up a few minutes ago. I know you said it's the anime thread and not the manga thread, but I'd like to talk about that too, properly tagged and all, since I read the series due to this thread in the first place. I had actually skipped it when I've seen it pop up on various sites because I mistook it for a different series that I had passed on (orange marmalade...i think?).

Manga spoilers, though nothing too in-depth(I have tagged the entirety of any actual discussion of the goings on in the series itself, so just skip the block of black to avoid it): this series without a doubt captures depression, trauma, suicidal thoughts and also the repercussions of being close to someone who killed themselves or worse, may have seemingly killed themselves due to an action of yours, better than any other series I have watched or read. It's really staggering how well kakeru's crippling depression and trauma is portrayed in this. The fake smile. The occasional dead eyes before regaining his mask. The lashing out and feeling that he is a burden on others no matter what they say. The running away, the psychotic break, everything is so accurately portrayed that I have to believe the author is speaking either from self experience, or from knowing someone who has gone through similar issues. While it is unfortunate that the series had to have a supernatural hook to be able to deliver it's message, and the explanation for it was rather goofy, it did the job well enough and allowed them to really dig into kakeru's problems in a way that I imagine it would have been considerably harder to write otherwise.

I also greatly enjoyed the brevity of it. Problems arose and were solved within a couple chapters, usually, as opposed to being dragged out forever. Characters were extremely strong and the writing was smart, the humor was a good balance to the darker aspects, and it didn't drag out the ending needlessly. It might not handle depression particularly well in a "okay characters, this is depression, please understand how it works" fashion at times, but considering this is from Japan, a country which has been historically the worst at dealing with this sort of thing, the rise and prominence of series such as this in the last decade is heartening at least as a first step.

A must-read, definitely going into my recommendations list. Exceptionally good. Rarely has a manga been able to emotionally affect me in such a way, but I definitely teared up quite a bit over the course of reading it, whether due to personal experience or knowing people who have gone through similar troubles.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Anaconda, if the anime isn't doing it for you, maybe try the manga. It's quite well written and while it does have some of the gripes you mentioned, it's not a long series so any problems don't get dragged out for a dozen chapters.

Edit: the chapters on crunchyroll seem to have some hosed up pages though, with repeats of earlier pages replacing other ones midchapter.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 22, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, let me say that if the anime isn't doing it for you, the manga most definitely us genuinely good, only 22 chapters, and has a definitive, not rushed ending. If nothing else, you should read it, it doesn't take very long.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The explanation for the premise of the series is decent, and I will say for a fact that it's definitely not An Autistic Child Staring At A Snowglobe-levels of copout.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

AnacondaHL posted:

That was a great episode. A series saving episode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99lyU5N--f8

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SweetBro posted:

I wonder if it's possible for there be a romantic anime where all of the characters involved have learned basic communication skills.

I think by the end of it you'll understand, hopefully

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SweetBro posted:

I don't begrudge anyone, I'm just wondering why every romantic anime I watch has Romeo and Juliet levels of communication issues.
Read yandere kanojo, they get together as fast as possible without already having been going out since before the series started

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Also, jitsu wa watashi wa has actual romance in it and while it does have the will he won't he stuff for a bit, they do eventually get together and it's glorious. And also cute, and dumb.

There is also a secondary romance going on right now between two other characters and it's absolutely fantastic and I hope everything turns out great for them :allears:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh, poo poo, right, I meant to say read the manga. The anime is generally ill-received as it tends to not really deliver on comedic timing very well which the manga excels at.

It also doesn't really get very far iirc, and also doesn't have the manga author's impeccable face artistry. :haw:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SweetBro posted:

gently caress, I already watched the anime. What chapter should I pick up on then?

Maybe try about a dozen chapters in. The early chapters are not indicative of what the series becomes, for one, the art style changes fairly drastically from the initial chapters.

It's newly licensed but only two or so volumes are currently out in english. The scans are up to like 138 or so chapters on kissmanga/batoto.

The principal is the best.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'm still only on 9, I've been banking the episodes so I can watch everything left in one go.

You might die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Someone should just replace the audio during their explanation with the x files theme and call it a day.

• Locked thread