Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Huh?

Rhythm Heaven is one of my favorite game series of all time, for a number of reasons. But a big reason is that it can teach people rhythm, even if they're not a musician or even know how to read or really begin to interact with music. But because of that, I feel like it's an excellent teaching tool.

Rhythm Heaven Fever is the third entry in the series, after Rhythm Tengoku (only released in Japan) and Rhythm Heaven (called Rhythm Tengoku Gold in Japan). Fever is the first Rhythm Heaven game on consoles, being released on the Wii in 2011.

In each video I'll be going through some aspect of music theory and introducing some sort of concept, and then I'll break each game down into its constituent rhythms, and show how to count the beats in each one. It should be fun and I hope people learn a thing or two!

Videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpsezVsd0No

NO LISTEN TO ME fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
If you're all "hey i vaguely remember this concept" it's because I made a couple videos about a year and a half ago but life got in the way Big Time and it ended up not getting very far. I'm a little more confident this time around!!

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
This series is the best, and I am looking forward to seeing more!

As an aside, I think I liked the DS Rhythm Heaven slightly more than Fever, but that is just a relative downgrade from "excellent" to just "really great" in my mind.

Also, any chance we will be seeing multiplayer content as well? Perfect Challenges?

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

ModeWondershot posted:

This series is the best, and I am looking forward to seeing more!

As an aside, I think I liked the DS Rhythm Heaven slightly more than Fever, but that is just a relative downgrade from "excellent" to just "really great" in my mind.

Also, any chance we will be seeing multiplayer content as well? Perfect Challenges?

For what it's worth, I think Megamix is the best RH game, there's a whole lot of stuff in it.

Probably won't be any multiplayer stuff since anyone I know within arm's reach of me isn't that great at the game, and perfect challenges I'll probably ignore too, because it's too much of a pain to wait for the perfect to show up. I've never liked the way RH did perfects, though that didn't stop me from getting 97 of them in Megamix (the only ones I'm missing are the final remix,w which I just need to practice more, and Frog Hop/Jumpin Jazz because I hate them)

I will be showing off the extra games and stuff that you unlock when you get enough medals though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I have a very weird trick for this game. Instead of relying on any kind of number count, I normally exhale slowly during the sound cues, and when I stop feeling that last part of the cue is normally when to hit the button. Is there any real explanation for this being an effective means, or is it actually just a load of bull and I'm running off a placebo while my brain counts for me?

E: That's why stuff with offbeats and no cues for the basic beat like Monkey Watch are nigh impossible for me.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 21, 2016

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

If you give a mouse a cookie, you are supporting underground furry terrorists.
I love this series! I'm looking forward to more of your videos. Thanks for putting so much work into them!

Minty
May 3, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really appreciate you going into the music theory with this. If the videos focused solely on the gameplay, I don't think it would have grabbed my interest as much as it did.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
Yessssss I've missed this, especially after megamix came out. Thanks for coming back to finish.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
This is really great, thanks for bringing it back!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

This is my most recommended LP of all time. This is good poo poo. Good. poo poo.

My only complaint so far is the lack of description on syncopated beats, which I'm fully and 100% expecting explanation on in later minigames, with black-and-white callbacks to earlier games which featured them where you called them "notes on the backbeat"

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

thecluckmeme posted:

This is my most recommended LP of all time. This is good poo poo. Good. poo poo.

My only complaint so far is the lack of description on syncopated beats, which I'm fully and 100% expecting explanation on in later minigames, with black-and-white callbacks to earlier games which featured them where you called them "notes on the backbeat"

Yeah, I said in the next video I was gonna talk about time signatures more by I'm actually gonna double back and talk about some other stuff like basic note and rest stuff

did you know a 64th note is called a hemidemisemiquaver?

There's also the semihemidemisemiquaver and the demisemihemidemisemiquaver

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Yeah, I said in the next video I was gonna talk about time signatures more by I'm actually gonna double back and talk about some other stuff like basic note and rest stuff

did you know a 64th note is called a hemidemisemiquaver?

There's also the semihemidemisemiquaver and the demisemihemidemisemiquaver

Any more than that, though, and your note underflows into 255 whole notes.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Edward_Tohr posted:

Any more than that, though, and your note underflows into 255 whole notes.

Only if you're making 8 bit chiptunes though

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
I always liked rhythm games because I already have a pretty good sense of rhythm, but I never thought of them as a way of teaching rhythm. Keep up the great LP!

Also you have a fantastic radio voice.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Glad you're getting back into this! I'm curious about music theory, and I love educational LPs.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
So you might notice in the first video I have 48 medals on the file select screen, well I have 50 now and I cleaned up the games I still needed a superb on, and to help me out I transposed some parts I was having trouble with, and uh.

If you're thinking the games are a bit boring and simple now, just wait until we get to, say, Love Rap 2.

(solid notes being the audio cue and x notes being the player input)

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Right, so now that I have had an opportunity to watch part 2 completely, I am reminded of a couple things:

Complex time signatures were one of my favourite things from learning about music when I was younger. Here are my contributions of fun songs with weird time signature trickery:

11:11 by Rodrigo y Gabriela which is in 11/4 if I am not mistaken, which generally makes it sound like it is in 4/4 except for when it is in 3/4 every three measures.

this wall by fox capture plan which is mostly in 7/8, has a refrain in 6/8 and a second verse in 5/8.

As to visual cues in Double Date go, I think they exist to show the player that the difference between the basketball and soccer ball demonstrates that some visual cues cannot be trusted if you are to maintain a beat, while the football shows that some other visual cues are necessary to gauge timing properly. The game being deceptive about visual cues is apparent in some songs like Rhythm Rally and Flockstep whereas they are necessary for ones like Karate Man and Catch of the Day.

Also, the first time I tried Double Date I actually failed it because after hitting the football for the first time, the sight of the player in the background jumping to catch it (which was not in the tutorial) was so unexpected I started laughing and missed the next eight or nine balls.

Keep it up!

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
If the avatar doesn't imply it, I'm going to enjoy listening to all the games again. It's also pretty neat how you're showing the visual beats.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

ModeWondershot posted:

Complex time signatures were one of my favourite things from learning about music when I was younger. Here are my contributions of fun songs with weird time signature trickery:

11:11 by Rodrigo y Gabriela which is in 11/4 if I am not mistaken, which generally makes it sound like it is in 4/4 except for when it is in 3/4 every three measures.

Yeah, compound time signatures are weird, I'm reminded of a touhou song (lol), Theme of Easten Story, (or Imperishable Night, if you want a remastered version) which is also in 11/4, though in this case it's 3 measures of 3/4 and 1 measure of 2/4.

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

though in this case it's 3 measures of 3/4 and 1 measure of 2/4.

Listening to 11:11, it does seem to be more like 3 measures of 3/4 and 1 measure of 2/4.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

If you want fun time signatures, look no further than Metroxplex by Robert Sheldon

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Eoo5anaYYmo

The whole song constantly plays with rhythms and normal structure for time signatures, with phrases which could be written in 5/4 being dragged across a 4/4 measure repeatedly until it lines up with other instruments playing straight 4/4 beats.

It goes from slower sounds to a described "frantic taxi cab ride" at 3:48, and at 4:22 especially you can hear the constant time signature changes.
I think that part runs primarily in 13/8 and 7/8 with a few single 6/8 measures thrown in? It's a drat fun saxophone line :haw:

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Video's up.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
You may have lost me at one point (my musical theory is terrible), but what was the actual reason behind pausing for the triplet?

Enjoying this immensely, although the stream of consciousness commentary is making it kind of hard to follow for me.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
You see crotchet etc. everywhere outside of the US, although with the popularity of American beginner material it's becoming more worldwide. Also the second "t" is hard in crotchet, and minim is pronounced like the start of the word "minimum".

Also I think you confused the fermata (hold the note until directed to go on) with a caesura (train tracks, stop playing until directed to go on)?

Looking really good! I love the way that they provide multiple ways to learn the exercises for the tambourine one. If you want to just read the notes, you can, but you also get audio cues in the form of the call and response.

ManicVolcanic posted:

Also you have a fantastic radio voice.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Zenithe posted:

Also I think you confused the fermata (hold the note until directed to go on) with a caesura (train tracks, stop playing until directed to go on)?

dangit bobby I can't get nothin right. Though I coulda sworn a fermata could be placed over a rest to indicate an indefinite silence as well. I'll be honest my last traditional musical experience was a few years ago and I've just worked electronically since then so my sheet music muscles need flexing.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

dangit bobby I can't get nothin right. Though I coulda sworn a fermata could be placed over a rest to indicate an indefinite silence as well.

This is correct, but is usually used for one of two reasons. Firstly, not every part in an ensemble has a note, so those that don't have it over the rest. Secondly, because fermatas are usually taught very early so everyone knows what they are, opposed to caesura, which often not touched upon at all.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Zenithe posted:

I love the way that they provide multiple ways to learn the exercises for the tambourine one. If you want to just read the notes, you can, but you also get audio cues in the form of the call and response.

They don't, actually. The notes are not in the game, they've been added by our LPer.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

They don't, actually. The notes are not actually in the game, they've been added by our LPer.

Oh wow, well then I appreciate even more the effort that has gone into this LP.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Zenithe posted:

Oh wow, well then I appreciate even more the effort that has gone into this LP.

I can't stress enough how good this LP is, because any moment of music staff you've seen on-screen has been added in. There are no music staffs in rhythm heaven. That has all bee added in post.

Also, yeah, you partially wrong on the fermata. A fermata is just the Dimitri Martin joke about trying to get ice cubes from an empty glass of ice: "HOLD, BRETHREN, HOOOOLD"

There's no rule between rests and notes, you can slap a fermata on anything and it's understood. Usually a fermata is put on a single measure of either rests, or notes then rests, to signify to the players that they will be holding that beat until the composer says otherwise. This is actually an interesting theory-break for basic theory, because somebody already brought up railroad stops.

So a Caesura is the railroad stops, they look like diagonal lines on the end of a phrase which normally exists for ALL players. It is a synced cut-off point that lets the conductor wave away the band, then begin the next phrase with impunity. A fermata on a rest is not the same, because only SOME instruments would have a break there, and not all fermatas include a break, then reintroduction. All fermatas are a hold on a specific group or groups, but only some fermatas are a hold on the whole band. Some pieces require a fermata to play until the conductor cuts them off, but with an immediate pick-up as a cue of when the other group is cut off. Only a Caesara is a full-stop for the whole band unless clearly and explicitly noted in the sheet music, which is (funnily enough) noted by a fermata for the instruments who keep playing.

For the layman, the weirdest situation of stops and starts would be a fermata for all or some instruments, with some having a caesura that the conductor acts out. Only, during that caesura, there are other instruments who have a clear "this is a fermata, ignore the caesure" kind of marking on their sheet music, to continue a particular chord between a few instruments. After that, it's usually either another caesura to cut out all sound for complete silence, or the conductor brings in a new phrase on top of the held chord.

To make it simple, a caesura is the conductor going "EVERYONE STOP (unless your sheet music says do not stop), and a Fermata is "EVERYONE LOOK AT ME AND KEEP DOING WHAT YOU'RE DOING" (which is usually holding a note, but can sometimes be used to signify a rest that requires looking at the conductor closely, because the immediate next note is one you play, and he will be signifying when that note occurs)

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Also, I'm going to say again, this is my favorite LP and I can't wait to see how complex this gets over time. We, the commentators, will explain it poorly, but I hope you can explain the complexities of music eloquently. Especially in that radio voice, goddamn. If you ever need a co-commentator to talk about music theory, throw me in a skype call and we can radio voice at each other about rhythm and music theory.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

What's the difference between the first two notes and the second two notes? They sound identical to me.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Heatwizard posted:

What's the difference between the first two notes and the second two notes? They sound identical to me.

They are, but because they are an eighth-note offset (the "backbeat" as NOLISTENTOME has called it) they can't be written with a bar connecting the two eighth notes. It's the exact same rhythm, but the eighth-rest between them means they are written that way because the first two eighth notes was one beat (so they can be connected with a bar) then the eighth rest + first of the those two eighth notes is another beat, and the fourth eighth note is the start of beat three. They're all halving the beat, so it's basically:

1-And (beat one)

(rest)-And (beat two)

Three-(rest) (beat three)

(rest rest) (beat four)

Generally a measure in 4/4 is counted in eighth notes as "one-and-two-and-three-and-four-and"

Using the beam is too confusing in wider usage of eighth notes like this, so what you're seeing is NOLISTENTOME's continued usage of un-barred eighth notes to help the distinction between the numbered beats. (one, two, three, four, versus the "backbeats" signified as "and")

The beginning of the measure is ONE-and, then a rest, then two more notes, then all rests for the rest of the measure. In beginner's rhythm, you want to maintain the idea of 1-2-3-4 in a 4/4 measure, so he's written out "ONE-AND (two) AND THREE (and four and)", with the first two being to halves of the same beat [[ONE AND]] with a bar connecting them, while the "and-three" are two different beats acting the same way ( AND]][[THREE )

They act the same, rhythmically, but the lack of a bar connecting the AND]][[THREE is purely cosmetic, and to be consistent in stringing along the front of the beat (the numbered ones)

So again, he's just notated it as "one-and (two) and three (and four and)" instead of "one and (two) and three (and four and)

NeruVolpi
Apr 23, 2016

Thanks for the explanation. I was actually wondering the same thing.

I had some musical theory back when I was 11. Some of the things I can remember and so. But these lessons are way better than my paid musical lessons :aaa:

Also. Yes. Best radio voice.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

So here's an interesting bit of musical notation that I thought relevant, as you've just shown off a game based around playing the Tambourine. There is in fact a fourth type of Clef, although it isn't really a Clef. The Percussion or Neutral Clef, which indicates that the instrument has no set pitch for the music, it can also have a varied amount of lines. It also isn't used for tuned percussion, for obvious reasons, which includes pianos funnily enough.

Usually after the Percussion Clef there's a legend, which explains what each note means, however if you're just playing a Tambourine it will do something similar to what you showed in the video but only have a single line. So you'd have the percussion clef and a single line, with a legend explaining that a normal note is a slap on the side, and a cross note is a slap to the head of the tambourine.

Just thought I'd share some stuff about percussion.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

So here's an interesting bit of musical notation that I thought relevant, as you've just shown off a game based around playing the Tambourine. There is in fact a fourth type of Clef, although it isn't really a Clef. The Percussion or Neutral Clef, which indicates that the instrument has no set pitch for the music, it can also have a varied amount of lines. It also isn't used for tuned percussion, for obvious reasons, which includes pianos funnily enough.

Usually after the Percussion Clef there's a legend, which explains what each note means, however if you're just playing a Tambourine it will do something similar to what you showed in the video but only have a single line. So you'd have the percussion clef and a single line, with a legend explaining that a normal note is a slap on the side, and a cross note is a slap to the head of the tambourine.

Just thought I'd share some stuff about percussion.

This is best expressed in Drumset Tabs. Tablature is its own set of rhythm hell to explain, but the short of it is that hyphens designate the Lowest Common Denominator of the beat, so if your piece uses 16th notes, the hyphens designate a 16th note. Drumset Tabs have a different line for each drum head + cymbals used, and you just sorta... follow along. I never played drumset, but a friend of mine learned drums off set tabs, so they can apparently get you places.

In guitar tabs, they're just the six strings, so if you want an explanation of them, look at a simple bass tab. EADG going from bottom to top, where you play along and count out beats while "ignoring" the empty space until it matters. Then look at drumset tabs, and that's closer to a percussion clef for instruments more complex than a single snare drum, without getting into actual note-tuned instruments like the timpani. Although according to my percussion friend, timpani tablature exists and that makes me go all :psyduck: about music notation.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I actually hate tab notation to be honest. I learnt to play drums and percussion with a normal stave and tabs just confuse me. Partially because tab notation is a fairly modern thing and a lot of musical teaching is still based around classics.

Admittedly I myself am primarily a tuned percussionist, which means I use the treble and bass clefs anyway, so maybe if I'd learnt some other percussion I'd like tab notation more. Drumset notation is actually pretty good on a stave to be honest, it has a standardised location for every part of a normal drumkit, so as long as the writer specifies any differences you can pretty easily read any beat off a sheet of music.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I understand people who have trouble reading sheet music because I've been playing music for over half my life and I still have no idea how to read tabs, I was never really interested in learning guitar anyway.

I played clarinet in high school and I don't know how I got suckered into that garbage because nowadays I would have loved to play either brass or sax. In the past couple years I've picked up the cello too but that's what I tell people because I have a cello in my closet and haven't taken the time to tune it in the better part of a year.

And yeah re: connected eighth note flags, I should probably mention it sometimes because in addition to possibly being confusion, it just sorta bugs me aesthetically. If I could connect all these flags I would!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Last time I read sheet music was more than 10 years ago in high school band, I was just recently in a musical and reading the music was a throwback and a shock. Especially since I used to play in bass clef and the musical was in treble clef. So I understand that feeling!

I was going to ask if you planned on getting perfect in every game and then I saw Fork Lifter, so I'm not that worried now. Rhythm Heaven Fever has been my go-to game for new people I show games to in a group because everyone thinks they have rhythm but uhhhh yeah. It's wonderful to A: watch people get busted on it and B: introduce them to the wonders of Air Rally and Ringside. Glad to see this back!

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

dscruffy1 posted:

I was going to ask if you planned on getting perfect in every game and then I saw Fork Lifter, so I'm not that worried now.

I could spend the time and get a clean recording of every game but I'm not that patient so I'll settle for all superbs. Megamix consumed me though and I'm sitting at 97/100 perfects on it right now (only missing the final remix because it's difficult, and frog hop/jumpin jazz because I severely dislike them)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Having learned guitar fairly late in my music education, I can understand that tabs might be helpful in providing a visual indicator of the nature of playing a guitar, where both hands have to perform two separate functions in order to strike a single note. It would likely suit a beginner, and I did honestly find them a little easier to read than the classical notation at times. However, since most sheet music uses the classical notation, I would say that tabs aren't helpful for someone hoping to develop their skills.

• Locked thread