Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Huh?

Rhythm Heaven is one of my favorite game series of all time, for a number of reasons. But a big reason is that it can teach people rhythm, even if they're not a musician or even know how to read or really begin to interact with music. But because of that, I feel like it's an excellent teaching tool.

Rhythm Heaven Fever is the third entry in the series, after Rhythm Tengoku (only released in Japan) and Rhythm Heaven (called Rhythm Tengoku Gold in Japan). Fever is the first Rhythm Heaven game on consoles, being released on the Wii in 2011.

In each video I'll be going through some aspect of music theory and introducing some sort of concept, and then I'll break each game down into its constituent rhythms, and show how to count the beats in each one. It should be fun and I hope people learn a thing or two!

Videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpsezVsd0No

NO LISTEN TO ME fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
If you're all "hey i vaguely remember this concept" it's because I made a couple videos about a year and a half ago but life got in the way Big Time and it ended up not getting very far. I'm a little more confident this time around!!

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

ModeWondershot posted:

This series is the best, and I am looking forward to seeing more!

As an aside, I think I liked the DS Rhythm Heaven slightly more than Fever, but that is just a relative downgrade from "excellent" to just "really great" in my mind.

Also, any chance we will be seeing multiplayer content as well? Perfect Challenges?

For what it's worth, I think Megamix is the best RH game, there's a whole lot of stuff in it.

Probably won't be any multiplayer stuff since anyone I know within arm's reach of me isn't that great at the game, and perfect challenges I'll probably ignore too, because it's too much of a pain to wait for the perfect to show up. I've never liked the way RH did perfects, though that didn't stop me from getting 97 of them in Megamix (the only ones I'm missing are the final remix,w which I just need to practice more, and Frog Hop/Jumpin Jazz because I hate them)

I will be showing off the extra games and stuff that you unlock when you get enough medals though.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

thecluckmeme posted:

This is my most recommended LP of all time. This is good poo poo. Good. poo poo.

My only complaint so far is the lack of description on syncopated beats, which I'm fully and 100% expecting explanation on in later minigames, with black-and-white callbacks to earlier games which featured them where you called them "notes on the backbeat"

Yeah, I said in the next video I was gonna talk about time signatures more by I'm actually gonna double back and talk about some other stuff like basic note and rest stuff

did you know a 64th note is called a hemidemisemiquaver?

There's also the semihemidemisemiquaver and the demisemihemidemisemiquaver

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Edward_Tohr posted:

Any more than that, though, and your note underflows into 255 whole notes.

Only if you're making 8 bit chiptunes though

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
So you might notice in the first video I have 48 medals on the file select screen, well I have 50 now and I cleaned up the games I still needed a superb on, and to help me out I transposed some parts I was having trouble with, and uh.

If you're thinking the games are a bit boring and simple now, just wait until we get to, say, Love Rap 2.

(solid notes being the audio cue and x notes being the player input)

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

ModeWondershot posted:

Complex time signatures were one of my favourite things from learning about music when I was younger. Here are my contributions of fun songs with weird time signature trickery:

11:11 by Rodrigo y Gabriela which is in 11/4 if I am not mistaken, which generally makes it sound like it is in 4/4 except for when it is in 3/4 every three measures.

Yeah, compound time signatures are weird, I'm reminded of a touhou song (lol), Theme of Easten Story, (or Imperishable Night, if you want a remastered version) which is also in 11/4, though in this case it's 3 measures of 3/4 and 1 measure of 2/4.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Video's up.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Zenithe posted:

Also I think you confused the fermata (hold the note until directed to go on) with a caesura (train tracks, stop playing until directed to go on)?

dangit bobby I can't get nothin right. Though I coulda sworn a fermata could be placed over a rest to indicate an indefinite silence as well. I'll be honest my last traditional musical experience was a few years ago and I've just worked electronically since then so my sheet music muscles need flexing.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I understand people who have trouble reading sheet music because I've been playing music for over half my life and I still have no idea how to read tabs, I was never really interested in learning guitar anyway.

I played clarinet in high school and I don't know how I got suckered into that garbage because nowadays I would have loved to play either brass or sax. In the past couple years I've picked up the cello too but that's what I tell people because I have a cello in my closet and haven't taken the time to tune it in the better part of a year.

And yeah re: connected eighth note flags, I should probably mention it sometimes because in addition to possibly being confusion, it just sorta bugs me aesthetically. If I could connect all these flags I would!

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

dscruffy1 posted:

I was going to ask if you planned on getting perfect in every game and then I saw Fork Lifter, so I'm not that worried now.

I could spend the time and get a clean recording of every game but I'm not that patient so I'll settle for all superbs. Megamix consumed me though and I'm sitting at 97/100 perfects on it right now (only missing the final remix because it's difficult, and frog hop/jumpin jazz because I severely dislike them)

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Oh by the way, I should mention, there's a game that's only in the japanese version that didn't make it into the localization. Instead of being localized, it was just left out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdcKicUYVek

It's based off a manzai routine, basically japanese tag team comedy, and since japanese standup loves their puns, and because wordplay is probably the hardest stuff to translate ever, it was just left out.

Shame, because I like the song a lot.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

SkyTalon2314 posted:

That is a really cool song. Makes me wish I knew Japanese to understand it, because I like puns/wordplay (much to the chagrin of everyone around me). Though even without understanding it, it's a really fun song to listen to.

Basically, a lot of japanese words sound similar, so juxtaposing them together in a sentence provides a play on the sounds the words contain but basically mean nonsense by themselves.

Like, the first one in that game is "Futon ga futtonda" which basically means "the bed flew". And the others are similarly nonsense. But that's the way Puns Be so it can't be helped.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
By the way, TMI personal time I wanted to keep to a 3-4 day schedule but the end of the month is busy for me, especially July since it's when the lease turns over, but long story short hopefully the video goes up this weekend, I got most of it done except for most of the editing and that's the time consuming part, it'll smooth out.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Are you planning to continue this anytime soon? I was really enjoying the videos.

Yeah, I really want to, I just sorta fell off the habit and I need to get back into it. Sorry it's been such a long wait!! I wanna work on it but sometimes it's hard to get back in the groove when there's other stuff going on.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Suspicious Dish posted:

please continue with this series when you have time, it is good.

also can you explain to me in music theory terms why the rhythm tweezers section on machine remix is drat near impossible to perfect

Machine Remix was hard for me too until I:

1. started using the d-pad in conjunction with the button to hit the fast 16th notes
2. changed the game language to japanese in the options because the japanese song is a great song and they butchered it with a bad synth in the english version.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

The Watercrown posted:

This was actually a pretty interesting LP. I'm sad to see it gathering so much dust.

Yeah, I am too. I wanna come back to it someday but stuff has been busy, especially last month. I dunno really what common etiquette is regarding plugging other projects in an LP thread but stuff's been moving lately. Stuff actually being finished, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

CrazySalamander posted:

:justpost:

We like this LP, we might like your other stuff. And you're the OP, so you set the thread tone anyway.

Yeah alright. It's a music thread anyway and most of this stuff involves my music to some degree

Short version is that I'm poor as hell (ie a musician) and struggling most of the time.

I started an album project based on the Pokedexy challenge which is mostly for artists to draw a pokemon a day but I wanted to see if I could do it with music, making each song within 24 hours. The album's up here if you wanna check it out. I'm really happy with a few songs on there.

And generally if you want to hear any of my music it's all here, though particularly I wanna post this one as part of a separate album project because I'm pretty into how it sounds.

Also I have a podcast with another (poor as hell) friend of mine where we talk about cheap games, usually under 5 bucks, most recent ep is here and stuff goes up every other sunday, so one's going up a couple days from now.

• Locked thread