Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
You see crotchet etc. everywhere outside of the US, although with the popularity of American beginner material it's becoming more worldwide. Also the second "t" is hard in crotchet, and minim is pronounced like the start of the word "minimum".

Also I think you confused the fermata (hold the note until directed to go on) with a caesura (train tracks, stop playing until directed to go on)?

Looking really good! I love the way that they provide multiple ways to learn the exercises for the tambourine one. If you want to just read the notes, you can, but you also get audio cues in the form of the call and response.

ManicVolcanic posted:

Also you have a fantastic radio voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

dangit bobby I can't get nothin right. Though I coulda sworn a fermata could be placed over a rest to indicate an indefinite silence as well.

This is correct, but is usually used for one of two reasons. Firstly, not every part in an ensemble has a note, so those that don't have it over the rest. Secondly, because fermatas are usually taught very early so everyone knows what they are, opposed to caesura, which often not touched upon at all.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

They don't, actually. The notes are not actually in the game, they've been added by our LPer.

Oh wow, well then I appreciate even more the effort that has gone into this LP.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

ModeWondershot posted:

Having learned guitar fairly late in my music education, I can understand that tabs might be helpful in providing a visual indicator of the nature of playing a guitar, where both hands have to perform two separate functions in order to strike a single note. It would likely suit a beginner, and I did honestly find them a little easier to read than the classical notation at times. However, since most sheet music uses the classical notation, I would say that tabs aren't helpful for someone hoping to develop their skills.

Tabs are good as long as you don't ever plan on learning notation. The trouble mostly comes in my experience when kids, usually in early high school learn using tabs, get really really good through practice, then decide they want to branch out into say, a musical or something. Learning traditional notation from scratch when you are already very good is extremely difficult and frustrating.

• Locked thread