Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Oh by the way, I should mention, there's a game that's only in the japanese version that didn't make it into the localization. Instead of being localized, it was just left out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdcKicUYVek

It's based off a manzai routine, basically japanese tag team comedy, and since japanese standup loves their puns, and because wordplay is probably the hardest stuff to translate ever, it was just left out.

Shame, because I like the song a lot.

That is a really cool song. Makes me wish I knew Japanese to understand it, because I like puns/wordplay (much to the chagrin of everyone around me). Though even without understanding it, it's a really fun song to listen to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Basically, a lot of japanese words sound similar, so juxtaposing them together in a sentence provides a play on the sounds the words contain but basically mean nonsense by themselves.

Like, the first one in that game is "Futon ga futtonda" which basically means "the bed flew". And the others are similarly nonsense. But that's the way Puns Be so it can't be helped.

I suspected as much.

I took Japanese in High School, like 11 years ago, but I remember things like Tori meaning street, but Torii meaning bird, and other things like that. But I can't read kanji anymore, and I can't read hiragana/katakana fast enough anymore to really be able to follow even just the pronunciations anymore.

• Locked thread