Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
This series is the best, and I am looking forward to seeing more!

As an aside, I think I liked the DS Rhythm Heaven slightly more than Fever, but that is just a relative downgrade from "excellent" to just "really great" in my mind.

Also, any chance we will be seeing multiplayer content as well? Perfect Challenges?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Right, so now that I have had an opportunity to watch part 2 completely, I am reminded of a couple things:

Complex time signatures were one of my favourite things from learning about music when I was younger. Here are my contributions of fun songs with weird time signature trickery:

11:11 by Rodrigo y Gabriela which is in 11/4 if I am not mistaken, which generally makes it sound like it is in 4/4 except for when it is in 3/4 every three measures.

this wall by fox capture plan which is mostly in 7/8, has a refrain in 6/8 and a second verse in 5/8.

As to visual cues in Double Date go, I think they exist to show the player that the difference between the basketball and soccer ball demonstrates that some visual cues cannot be trusted if you are to maintain a beat, while the football shows that some other visual cues are necessary to gauge timing properly. The game being deceptive about visual cues is apparent in some songs like Rhythm Rally and Flockstep whereas they are necessary for ones like Karate Man and Catch of the Day.

Also, the first time I tried Double Date I actually failed it because after hitting the football for the first time, the sight of the player in the background jumping to catch it (which was not in the tutorial) was so unexpected I started laughing and missed the next eight or nine balls.

Keep it up!

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Having learned guitar fairly late in my music education, I can understand that tabs might be helpful in providing a visual indicator of the nature of playing a guitar, where both hands have to perform two separate functions in order to strike a single note. It would likely suit a beginner, and I did honestly find them a little easier to read than the classical notation at times. However, since most sheet music uses the classical notation, I would say that tabs aren't helpful for someone hoping to develop their skills.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer

SkyTalon2314 posted:

I suspected as much.

I took Japanese in High School, like 11 years ago, but I remember things like Tori meaning street, but Torii meaning bird, and other things like that. But I can't read kanji anymore, and I can't read hiragana/katakana fast enough anymore to really be able to follow even just the pronunciations anymore.

Other fun ones from the song include "ame-tte ame~ na" or "Rain is pretty sweet, huh?" or "Ume ga ume~" meaning "Japanese apricots are delicious." Part of why most of those puns work is that the speaker is also using weird informal accents some of which may even be dependent on using Kansai dialect (as a similar example, think of how rhymes might work in UK versus US English where words are similar but pronounciations are different).

I can understand why it would be in the original and why it would be absolutely impossible to translate adequately to English, compared to other songs that use vocal clips purely for cadence rather than their actual content. I do really like the song as well, though, so part of me would have also liked to see Nintendo just try to localize it without providing explanations, in essence just going: "it's :japan:, deal with it."

• Locked thread