Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

So here's an interesting bit of musical notation that I thought relevant, as you've just shown off a game based around playing the Tambourine. There is in fact a fourth type of Clef, although it isn't really a Clef. The Percussion or Neutral Clef, which indicates that the instrument has no set pitch for the music, it can also have a varied amount of lines. It also isn't used for tuned percussion, for obvious reasons, which includes pianos funnily enough.

Usually after the Percussion Clef there's a legend, which explains what each note means, however if you're just playing a Tambourine it will do something similar to what you showed in the video but only have a single line. So you'd have the percussion clef and a single line, with a legend explaining that a normal note is a slap on the side, and a cross note is a slap to the head of the tambourine.

Just thought I'd share some stuff about percussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I actually hate tab notation to be honest. I learnt to play drums and percussion with a normal stave and tabs just confuse me. Partially because tab notation is a fairly modern thing and a lot of musical teaching is still based around classics.

Admittedly I myself am primarily a tuned percussionist, which means I use the treble and bass clefs anyway, so maybe if I'd learnt some other percussion I'd like tab notation more. Drumset notation is actually pretty good on a stave to be honest, it has a standardised location for every part of a normal drumkit, so as long as the writer specifies any differences you can pretty easily read any beat off a sheet of music.

• Locked thread