Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

spit on my clit posted:

one of my friends still defends this poo poo game to the death because Muh Bird Women and "Modding makes the game fun"

As someone that put an embarrassingly large amount of hours into this game before learning about the shitbirds in charge of it, and then whose curiosity got the better of them when 1.4 dropped:

That's a big oof, fam. As I think the kids would say it these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Hey dont knock those bird women because there was a mod where you could enslave them and make them lay eggs for food constantly. I think the florens produced "crotch lettuce" or something too.

I hate some modders.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Man, there's only so much mods can do for a game. You can't expect them to fix everything.

Having a good solid base game is still extremely important. And HO-LY, this game NOT have a good base.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Man, there's only so much mods can do for a game. You can't expect them to fix everything.

Having a good solid base game is still extremely important. And HO-LY, this game NOT have a good base.
Sometimes mods can do a LOT to change things.

But not in Starbound, and in fact a few things have been locked off from modding over time.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Honestly the game was quite fun for like 30 hours which was an amount that I felt like I got my money's worth with.

If I hadn't read this thread I'd propably still think it was fine.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Son of Rodney posted:

Honestly the game was quite fun for like 30 hours which was an amount that I felt like I got my money's worth with.

If I hadn't read this thread I'd propably still think it was fine.

Same here, but I'm not one of those people who've put hundreds of hours into Terraria. I'm probably just not as into this type of game as some people here seem to be.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Before this thread i figured it was mediocre but fine, since at least you have a decent idea of what to do. I have played about 3 other games apeing the terraria style and starbound at least was always the most comprehensible. Unfortunately all are still so much worse that playing vanilla terraria again would be preferred.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zoig posted:

Before this thread i figured it was mediocre but fine, since at least you have a decent idea of what to do. I have played about 3 other games apeing the terraria style and starbound at least was always the most comprehensible. Unfortunately all are still so much worse that playing vanilla terraria again would be preferred.

It's been eight years now and now one's made another decent competitor yet so I just have to assume that it's Dragon Ball and they just made something that totally blew up unexpectedly just like Toriyama.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The painful thing is Starbound came so close to being great and immediately fled from every opportunity to be so.

At least Terraria 2 is apparently being made, eventually.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

RareAcumen posted:

It's been eight years now and now one's made another decent competitor yet so I just have to assume that it's Dragon Ball and they just made something that totally blew up unexpectedly just like Toriyama.

It's been eight years since Terraria?

...gently caress

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

RareAcumen posted:

Try Signs of Life

edit: Oh poo poo and I guess Outworlder, I heard all the devs are really good looking

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Shoehead posted:

Try Signs of Life

edit: Oh poo poo and I guess Outworlder, I heard all the devs are really good looking

I doubt my laptop can handle any games running on it anymore so I'll have to hold off. Still looking forward to all the cool stuff that's gonna go into Outworlder though!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I Said No posted:

It's been eight years since Terraria?

...gently caress

Not as long as I thought it was!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Not as long as I thought it was!

Longer than you think, Ghost Leviathan! It's longer than you think!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

JohnnyCanuck posted:

And then Starbound shriveled up and collapsed before everyone's very eyes.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Going from old Starbound to what it is now has been quite the jaunt, I'll agree.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

CommissarMega posted:

Going from old Starbound to what it is now has been quite the jaunt, I'll agree.

Game would have been better if teleporting anywhere put your save file in Todash space and then you just had to start another character.

At least it'd be a unique take.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

i keep seeing it mentioned in the thread, but what did starbound remove/change to make it worse? i'm curious, if only because tales of cut/removed content always interest me.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Oh man, off the top of my head they removed fun grappling hooks and made digging through sand unfun and tedious.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Splash Attack posted:

i keep seeing it mentioned in the thread, but what did starbound remove/change to make it worse? i'm curious, if only because tales of cut/removed content always interest me.

We really do need a goon wiki of Starbound's rapid backdashing away from fun ideas, to backwards walking away from them to slowly trundling away from them with shield raised.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

RareAcumen posted:

We really do need a goon wiki of Starbound's rapid backdashing away from fun ideas, to backwards walking away from them to slowly trundling away from them with shield raised.

Oh yeah, they also removed rapid back-dashing.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Splash Attack posted:

Oh boy I get to post the video now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnhk6bQK_CU
None of this is possible and the existing, two-handed grappling hook, isn't really useful as a getting-aroudn tool like how the one in Terraria is, either.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zereth posted:

Oh boy I get to post the video now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnhk6bQK_CU
None of this is possible and the existing, two-handed grappling hook, isn't really useful as a getting-aroudn tool like how the one in Terraria is, either.
I had a feeling it would be that video. From some of the best grappling hooks in gaming to :flaccid:

They also (at least in my experience) made it so the limp noodle of a string grapple failed to actually connect a lot of the time as I was hurtling downwards :v:

The Devs of course, pitched it as "doing the player a favor" because it used (an insignificant amount) less energy!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Splash Attack posted:

Grappling hooks are a big one. Procedural guns are another big one. You know, one of the literal selling points of the game, even though they still exist. They got nerfed into uselessness because Tiy decided guns aren't fun and the spaceship game should be about swords and hammers. Because that makes sense, apparently. There wasn't all that much of a sense of progression but any semblance it had was replaced with "get bigger numbers gear to handle bigger numbers enemies to go to places that have things that let you make bigger numbers gear so you can..." forever. Meanwhile all boss fights are now in precanned levels you can't modify so no more arena building which was, you know, one of the fun parts of Terraria. Mobility techs kept getting removed or horribly nerfed. You used to be able to do fun things to get around certain environmental problems if you were creative but now it's just "do you have the right backpack y/n."

t-.-t
Nov 25, 2006

From the comments in that video.

quote:

This is the reason I am now buying Starbound. Don't judge me.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

So the FU mod got hit by a DMCA request on steam workshop. Not sure why, since moderators are scrubbing all discussion of it away, but likely the same poo poo as usual.

The funny part is that this is breaking the saves of anybody who logs onto steam and loads a character who played with the mod.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Again? That happened quite a few months back because they swiped content from someone and the author just immediately took the nuclear option. What a surprise they haven't learned poo poo.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

I Said No posted:

Again? That happened quite a few months back because they swiped content from someone and the author just immediately took the nuclear option. What a surprise they haven't learned poo poo.

Guys like FU guy and Tiy are incapable of learning.

If they could learn they wouldn't be the way they are.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I Said No posted:

:wtc:

Patch notes from last month also include a delayed credit and half-assed apology to some guy whose swimming mod they incorporated without asking.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

You just know in their discord there's just a ton of furious invective whenever a mod author speaks up about having their poo poo stolen about how they're "whiny" and "should be grateful". S'how it was every time when I was on their rear end actively reporting all the stolen poo poo to the authors they were stealing it from (they not only don't ask permission, but don't even notify the author) - they'd just get outright furious that the authors they were swiping from *dared* utter so much as a peep of protest.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
On Outworlder discord I've put out a clear statement that we won't tolerate that kind of fuckery.

I'm sure I'll have to reiterate it time and time again. But having an active mod community for a game is a blessing and I'm not gonna let an FU situation happen there.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Goons I unknowing did a bad thing. A coworker (who doesn't follow game developer drama, he just plays video games) told me about this game that's "like Terraria in space" and when I checked steam it was on sale for tenbux, so i figured "what the hell"

I had already played for a day before I thought to check the forums for a thread. I saw the OP was pretty old so I skipped to the last 10 pages or so, to see what the current consensus is on the game.

Yikes.

That being said, in a vacuum it's not a terrible $10 game. I am looking forward to throwing money at fellow goons and playing Outworld.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Goons I unknowing did a bad thing. A coworker (who doesn't follow game developer drama, he just plays video games) told me about this game that's "like Terraria in space" and when I checked steam it was on sale for tenbux, so i figured "what the hell"

I had already played for a day before I thought to check the forums for a thread. I saw the OP was pretty old so I skipped to the last 10 pages or so, to see what the current consensus is on the game.

Yikes.

That being said, in a vacuum it's not a terrible $10 game. I am looking forward to throwing money at fellow goons and playing Outworld.

Starbound is a perfectly cromulent videogame, honestly.

Just, Terraria is better in almost every respect except for cosmetic variety :v:

Don't feel too bad about it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

Starbound is a perfectly cromulent videogame, honestly.

Just, Terraria is better in almost every respect except for cosmetic variety :v:

Don't feel too bad about it. I

It needs the one-handed torch mod to be playable at a minimum.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Yikes.

There's no harm in buying a game for its premise and then finding out about the nefarious poo poo they did after the fact.

Just don't defend them and try to dissuade others from buying any of their games by pointing out what they did to the office dog. If they're in any way fans of John Wick, that'll keep them from getting any of them and the conversation will stop right there.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
Game preorder is live: https://playoutworlder.com/store

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Is there a dev drama summary off forum that someone could link me to?

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
I started playing this because I thought it would be fun. The base game was garbage and so I gave it another shot with FU and its even worse.

I juat want to play a lo-fi open world space game but oh well.

TommyGun85 fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 24, 2021

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

should've looked at the thread first. we had such delicious warnings to bathe you in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

What rareAcumen and Patware said. FU is a giant mess and before I heard about the problems with it I gave it a shot and it just seemed to be made as grindy as possible which took a lot of the fun out of an open world exploration game.