Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

ethically FU's garbage too, a lot of harassment, ghosting, and theft involved with getting all of those mods together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Well imagine what it takes to take the fun out of a not fun game

They had to go above and beyond

Beyond... the stars

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I just beat Terraria and came here to see if maybe there was enough mods to give me 1/10th of that flavor of fun in this nowadays.

Thanks for saving me the trouble thread.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

ethically FU's garbage too, a lot of harassment, ghosting, and theft involved with getting all of those mods together.

Yeah, I had to disable steam auto-updates after the second time content was suddenly patched out of FU (because someone noticed that it had been taken from another mod without so much as asking or putting a name in the credits).

FU does add a lot of tiles, so it was good for building a gigantic pretty space base, I’ll give it that.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Givin posted:

I just beat Terraria and came here to see if maybe there was enough mods to give me 1/10th of that flavor of fun in this nowadays.

Thanks for saving me the trouble thread.
Play modded terraria instead, they can do a lot more since it's done by decompiling the executable to get the source back out.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
I tried to get into this again and I just...can't. Im giving up on it. I also tried No Mans Sky which is also extremely boring.

Im looking to scratch that space itch, has anyone played Elite Dangerous or Oxygen Not Included?

or have any other recommendations?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

TommyGun85 posted:

I tried to get into this again

there was your first mistake

i don't think they even update anymore, not that i feel like they ever actually finished the game

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

TommyGun85 posted:

I tried to get into this again and I just...can't. Im giving up on it. I also tried No Mans Sky which is also extremely boring.

Im looking to scratch that space itch, has anyone played Elite Dangerous or Oxygen Not Included?

Everspace

why is this loving thread still in my favs, I had this game purged from my steam account

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

victrix posted:

Everspace

why is this loving thread still in my favs, I had this game purged from my steam account

sometimes when it hasn't been posted in in months i see it in my bookmarks and feel a sick satisfaction that, at least here, the beast is largely dead

LordOfTheNoobs
Sep 7, 2009

All I really cared about in Starbound were the cool (mostly modded) races that you could play. Especially the insect ones, double especially the Blattra mod, which I think a goon made that one. More games need cool playable insects.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

TommyGun85 posted:

Check out Starsector, my dude. It's not exactly the same kind of game as Starbound, but it's a rad as gently caress space game that I've put hundreds of hours into. Think 2D Mount & Blade in space. Check out the SA thread on it here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570400&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Katsuma posted:

Check out Starsector, my dude. It's not exactly the same kind of game as Starbound, but it's a rad as gently caress space game that I've put hundreds of hours into. Think 2D Mount & Blade in space. Check out the SA thread on it here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570400&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

thanks dude, that looks good.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

LordOfTheNoobs posted:

All I really cared about in Starbound were the cool (mostly modded) races that you could play. Especially the insect ones, double especially the Blattra mod, which I think a goon made that one. More games need cool playable insects.

There was a dude in this very thread that made skeletons and they were fuckin sick. Absolutely dope, the dopest poo poo.

Edit: or was it roaches I forget

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The force feeding mod to get jelly/eggs lmao

God that poo poo was nuts

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

TommyGun85 posted:

Have you tried the rogue-like Prospector? It is dead and unfinished, but it does has all base content.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

TommyGun85 posted:

It's nautical sci fi so maybe it fits but subnautica is a lot of fun if you're looking for an open world first person perspective game.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What was the name of that goon-made game that is/was similar to this?

Ougher
Jan 16, 2005

CommissarMega posted:

What was the name of that goon-made game that is/was similar to this?

You are looking for Outworlder. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1363900/Outworlder/

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Also, https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3912700

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

That's the one! Thanks!

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 25, 2021

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
Ghosting this dead rear end thread to say that Outworlders come a long way, has a publisher, is going to be entered into Steam Survival Fest in August and will be released around October.

Among other things we have working NPCs (they haul, build, craft, plant/harvest, etc), RimWorld style crafting (instead of carrying around giant machines, you place down a plan and NPCs deposit the materials and construct it on site) and stable multiplayer and PVP.

All of these updates are on the demo that's downloadable on the Steam page (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1363900/Outworlder/) and we would super appreciate feedback from ex-Starbound players. Feedback from our publishers internal testing has been incredibly positive, but I want to see what diehard fans think.

If anyone wants to do more extensive testing, I can provide a code that grants access to the privatebeta branch and the latest updates before they're rolled out to the public branch.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Rhopunzel posted:

Ghosting this dead rear end thread to say that Outworlders come a long way, has a publisher, is going to be entered into Steam Survival Fest in August and will be released around October.

Among other things we have working NPCs (they haul, build, craft, plant/harvest, etc), RimWorld style crafting (instead of carrying around giant machines, you place down a plan and NPCs deposit the materials and construct it on site) and stable multiplayer and PVP.

All of these updates are on the demo that's downloadable on the Steam page (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1363900/Outworlder/) and we would super appreciate feedback from ex-Starbound players. Feedback from our publishers internal testing has been incredibly positive, but I want to see what diehard fans think.

If anyone wants to do more extensive testing, I can provide a code that grants access to the privatebeta branch and the latest updates before they're rolled out to the public branch.

Ahhh excellent, been waiting a while for this

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I gotta update our thread lol

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I dunno if I ever said this to anyone but that new artstyle is poppin'

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Grats!

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Is Starbound good yet?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
no

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Always hasn't been

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Machai posted:

Is Starbound good yet?

listen to the music on youtube or whatever and think nothing else of it

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i was dismayed to see that frackin universe is still updating but buoyed by the fact that the dickhead's patreon is sub-$200

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Occasionally will try to go back and see if its at all worth playing, and nope it's got a really boring game play loop tacked onto a really forgettable story. Going by my brothers steam account, it was also the last game he played shortly before he died. So I get to add that depressing fact to my list of grievances. gently caress Starbound.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
It remains a game that was good and then had all of the fun parts sucked out of it by a man who hates fun.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Malachite_Dragon posted:

It remains a game that was good and then had all of the fun parts sucked out of it by a man who hates fun.

My friends and I had shitloads of fun in the early alpha/beta/whatever releases with the unnerfed ninja rope and the old progression system. Just flying around in space together mining cool rocks and swinging around while playing ABC tracks on instruments. I was so excited for the end product back then but it got made less fun and more boring with every patch.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh hey, posts in this thread again!

Anyone got that video of the rad preliminary physics based grappling system before they added hook and line damage and, I dunno it rots in your inventory like food or something?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

Oh hey, posts in this thread again!

Anyone got that video of the rad preliminary physics based grappling system before they added hook and line damage and, I dunno it rots in your inventory like food or something?
I've got a bookmark to it but the video is private now. :sigh:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Exactly. Exactly this.

Also, big :lol: at that gently caress head's patreon.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zereth posted:

I've got a bookmark to it but the video is private now. :sigh:

drat. I already couldn't remeber the name of it so I wasn't gonna find it. Well at least I know that mow

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Apparently this happened back at the end of May, but this is the first I'm hearing of it: someone leaked Starbound's source code. Not a decomp, either - the actual source code. This person obtained a copy and poked at it a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Years later and the game still manages to trip on its face.

Maybe someone will do something cool with it. While it falls so flat in many of its mechanics and systems, I still find the game ridiculously charming.