Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Nice, this thread has been liked and subscribed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
unlike starbound!!!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Welp, got back to the insanely tedious, unfun mining base mission that completely restarts if you die during it. Classic Starbound.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

does starbound have beekeeping yet

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Welp, got back to the insanely tedious, unfun mining base mission that completely restarts if you die during it. Classic Starbound.

Yeah but it also has touch damage and the cool feature where you drop everything on death. Also, slow mining and completely empty caves.

1.0 has not been very fun so far.

BillmasterCozb posted:

Here's a kind of important tip: Make sure that when you're making your character, it's set to a difficulty that only makes you lose 30% pixels on death, or else you'll have to get used to dropping everything on death every time

I did not see this and it turns out this is very important. I died to some lava I fell in because of some spikes I guess clipping through the floor. The thought of mining again fills me with dread.

In 25 minutes of digging with the basic matter manipulator, because I hadnt found enough dealies to upgrade it, this was the best item I found:

lol

Schwack fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 22, 2016

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
I thought this game was dead. what has changed (if anything) in the last 18 months?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

does starbound have beekeeping yet

There is in fact a mod that adds beekeeping somewhere in the burning trash pile that is the mods repository. IIRC it's exactly as stupid and overcomplicated as you'd imagine, I'm pretty sure they took the mechanics straight from that lovely minecraft bees mod.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
From what I can tell this is a list of things added since the last update:
http://starbounder.org/Version_History/Nightly#Daily_Asset_Differences

And this is a list of things added to each update, sorted by date if you haven't played in a while (and lets face it that's a lot of people)
http://starbounder.org/Version_history

Edit: I think there might be at least one plot spoiler in there?

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

Fewd posted:

Gonna play this bad game. That's what I do. That's what I've always done.

I haven't touched this game since 2014 but despise all the shitstorm it generated i still have about 175h of gameplay into it.

The launch trailer was really cool and convinced me to reinstall. Time to draw space dicks again.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I'm glad my starbound still says

Starbound [unstable]

in my steam list despite being released and not being in the unstable branch anymore.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

randombattle posted:

I'm glad my starbound still says

Starbound [unstable]

in my steam list despite being released and not being in the unstable branch anymore.

There are two different launchers in your library, dummy.

This is great so far, I haven't played the game in several months so I'm enjoying the various improvements they've made since. I am excited for afraid of audio to post a million more times about this game he does not like.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
i checked in on the old thread every few months and every single time people were overwhelmingly negative, what the hell changed that people actually like the game now

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Koramei posted:

i checked in on the old thread every few months and every single time people were overwhelmingly negative, what the hell changed that people actually like the game now

The infinite power of the human spirit to hope against all odds for things that they know they can never have.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Cicadas! posted:

There is in fact a mod that adds beekeeping somewhere in the burning trash pile that is the mods repository. IIRC it's exactly as stupid and overcomplicated as you'd imagine, I'm pretty sure they took the mechanics straight from that lovely minecraft bees mod.

as someone who actually tends to bees as a hobby i'm quite a fan of the weird, complicated stuff

i had a complicated relationship with the minecraft mod, let me tell you

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

as someone who actually tends to bees as a hobby i'm quite a fan of the weird, complicated stuff

Go ahead and bee it up, then.

I won't judge.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i already judge myself

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Johnny Joestar posted:

I never got into it because it's difficult to do even with cheating

It's not just bees, to even start legit you need several stacks of grass seeds to put through a juicer, so even begin you must have been spergy enough to have an automatic wheat farm to even start with.

And this is for an over complicated and tedious way of getting basic poo poo anyway.

The poo poo in that mod is insane, it's like the necronomicron but for summoning complex forms of boredom instead of demons

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

but enough about starbound,,,

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

CJacobs posted:

This is great so far, I haven't played the game in several months so I'm enjoying the various improvements they've made since. I am excited for afraid of audio to post a million more times about this game he does not like.

Yeah I know.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

So where's the goon server?!

I have a hankering to see if the MP experience has improved any (guessing no).

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 22, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Goon server is coming soon, tonight at some point.

Koramei posted:

I politely requested that a lot of the negative posting be held off for a little bit in this thread in order to give it a chance, seeing as 1.0 is the big release and all. I would give it a week or so before the game either wears everyone's spirits down again or pleasantly surprises us.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

randombattle posted:

Yeah I know.

Did you opt into unstable waaaay back when it was just a Steam Beta thing and not a separate launcher?

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.

BillmasterCozb posted:

Here's a kind of important tip: Make sure that when you're making your character, it's set to a difficulty that only makes you lose 30% pixels on death, or else you'll have to get used to dropping everything on death every time

Per the discovery of an unfortunate friend, :siren: you will still lose all ores and modules on death, still need to deal with the extremely lame hunger mechanic, and be unable to warp to your ship from underground if you make a normal character!:siren: Make a casual character or risk the hateful vengence of Tiy!

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
I wanna restate that the game almost approaches something entertaining if you play on a casual character. There's still a lot of tedious mining but you're never prompted with that raw feeling of "well, I just wasted 2 hours of my time" because you dropped all your ore when you realized the only practical way to get back to your ship was to suicide, and there's no terrible hunger system constantly reminding you to stop having fun.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
Stop digging into the core for the fragments, just head to the mine you loving nerds.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Is there an updated version of the Illuminated Ores mod?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I bought this when it came out, played it for about 2 hours with a friend before uninstalling it. Every time I checked the last thread I laughed and went about my day. I guess I'm going to give it another go today. If I play on a goon server or some poo poo can I find a planet far away from most of you jerks and only interact with the masses when I feel like it? Can you play your single player character online?

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
How does this game stack up with Terraria?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Shoehead posted:

Did you opt into unstable waaaay back when it was just a Steam Beta thing and not a separate launcher?

Yeah probably. It doesn't seem to effect anything but make me giggle.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Dr. Carwash posted:

How does this game stack up with Terraria?

One was good eventually and the other is Starbound.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Cicadas! posted:

One was good eventually and the other is Starbound.

Please dont shitpost in this thread, it is a safe space. thanks

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Happy Hedonist posted:

Can you play your single player character online?

If it still works how it used to, your character amd your inventory and ship are consistent, so if you want to ensure that diamond encrusted space sheep anus doesn't get lost if the server goes down, either hold onto it, or put it in your ship.

This is an aspect I actually really appreciate, so I feel like it's probably not in the game anymore :negative:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

Per the discovery of an unfortunate friend, :siren: you will still lose all ores and modules on death, still need to deal with the extremely lame hunger mechanic, and be unable to warp to your ship from underground if you make a normal character!:siren: Make a casual character or risk the hateful vengence of Tiy!

Yeah, I'm through the opening quests but I can already see that I need to restart on casual. The hunger mechanic is super loving tedious, especially when I just want to be exploring or mining or whatever.

Having not played in awhile, I do like the new opening and the outpost you teleport to and all that. Although I wonder how much a totally new player would be confused without all the hold-your-hand "now make a crafting bench" "now craft a furnace and a iron bar" guidance.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Rrussom posted:

Stop digging into the core for the fragments, just head to the mine you loving nerds.

I was just digging deep to find enough ore to make armor for the first dumb mission. There is nothing going on underground. Lots of set pieces, but no reason to visit them. Every underground ruin I found was completely empty. At least Terraria rewards exploration with items on a regular basis.

I wish I could leave the hunger system on, but turn off the over the top death penalty. At least the hunger thing gives you a reason to even bother with farming.

Schwack fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 22, 2016

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Schwack posted:

I was just digging deep to find enough ore to make armor for the first dumb mission. There is nothing going on underground. Lots of set pieces, but no reason to visit them. Every underground ruin I found was completely empty. At least Terraria rewards exploration with items on a regular basis.

There's a lot of randomization here. I got like three swords and two guns in the first hour of digging around underground. And I found some kind of pocket dimension platforming challenge that gave me a poison sword and gun and a cool "soul guise helmet" hat. Also an upgrade module, a couple of tech cards and three manipulator modules. Sounds like you got extremely unlucky and I got very lucky.

Of course, now that I've decided to restart with a casual character I'm sure I'll never find poo poo ever again

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 22, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

StarkRavingMad posted:

There's a lot of randomization here. I got like three swords and two guns in the first hour of digging around underground. And I found some kind of pocket dimension platforming challenge that gave me a poison sword and gun and a cool "soul guise helmet" hat. Also an upgrade module, a couple of tech cards and three manipulator modules. Sounds like you got extremely unlucky and I got very lucky.

If the primary determining factor is RNG, in any game, that's not really great. Particularly since it mostly encourages "LOL I got by just fine, you must be doing something wrong!" answers to any frustrated players.

I admit some bias due to some wildly spectacular luck with horrible RNG odds, not just in this game. Though when it comes to this game? "Okay 'I've got nearly 1,000 Iron, but I still haven't found even 20 copper" is not an exaggeration of how crazy my luck has been in the past, and that was WITH glowing ores mods.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Schwack posted:

I wish I could leave the hunger system on, but turn off the over the top death penalty. At least the hunger thing gives you a reason to even bother with farming.

I got to give this one to spacebounding actually; in theory it lets players just walk along the surface to get places, while terraria had you just digging and digging and digging to find poo poo like the jungle dungeon.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

I wish there was a way to have to eat to survive, but not drop weapons on death. Why are they not 2 separate options?

Oh well I guess I'll play on casual, I assume it's worth making food still for the buffs they give you?

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

CJacobs posted:

i hope you enjoy your video game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Oh my God this actually hit 1.0? I dropped $15 on it almost three years but resigned myself to never seeing anything from it after a year of waiting, I guess I need to dip back in!