Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

It's the European lipreading assembly of 2016.

Seriously, how can they be unaware there's no sound?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

As soon as they got sound, our Finnish representative said how he f*cked up.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

It'll be a tough job to follow the SGDQ Jedi Academy run, which was one of the highlights of the whole event.

e: The technical side seems pretty amateurish also following SGDQ. The game audio is completely drowning the runner.

e2: Looks like they found a good balance

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 23, 2016

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

mangler103 posted:

Is there a live crowd at all? Why are there random people milling about in the background? This is all quite confusing.

Apparently there are, but the camera placement is unfortunate. The random people distracting from the run in the background is annoying, though.

https://twitter.com/MolluskMoth/status/756926116670169088

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 23, 2016

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, the runs themselves have been solid so far, but there's a lot of little things distracting me, like the camera placement or constant audio issues. I've only watched ESA the year before, but I seem to recall 2015 being pretty free from technical difficulties.

And there was this Irish (?) guy announcing the event who had a lovely, deep, bass voice. (come to think of it, where is the announcing this year? Or the donations?)

e: Boy, it's not a very good start for the event.

https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/4u9jy2/shame_on_you_esa_shame_on_you/

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 23, 2016

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Like I said, I remember last year being pretty solid all around. Maybe the venue poses new challenges, but it's been definitely a bit disappointing so far on the tech side. Hopefully it'll get better as the event goes on.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I wish they had a schedule that would automatically update the later start times like the GDQ one does. I _think_ these are still original times but there's no way Metal Gear MSX is starting in 7 minutes.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Well, compared to last night, the sound balance is better, the camera angle is good and the commentary is nice. Maybe they will get on the ball with the announcing soon, too.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Studio posted:

Ooo, who's matching donations?

USAID, I believe.

quote:

To celebrate the 5-year anniversary of ESA, for a limited time, your donation during ESA 2016 will be amplified 10X thanks to matching grants from the US government to support maternal, newborn and child survival programs in Bangladesh and Myanmar.*

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

SpikeVegeta can be my secret santa anyday. Looks like he won't actually run anything, but announcing works too.

e: Still bothers me to see random people just doing something other than actually watching the run in the background. If you're not interested at least get off the camera. (are there any screens for the audience yet?)

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jul 24, 2016

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I tune back in and all of a sudden it's SpikeVegeta and Pac's comedy hour. "Hey Naegleria, you have a joke?"

From what I heard from one interview, they had a lot of trouble with tech (as seen) and they didn't get all the equipment they were expecting so they had to make do with what they had, or something. It's getting better, though.

But there still doesn't seem to be a big screen/monitor for the audience to see the stream from. they do now

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 24, 2016

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

mangler103 posted:

Looks like they have a monitor set up for viewing as well. Good to see things are improving.

Oh yeah, you can see now behind the runners. Good stuff.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Cool Matty posted:

We did this at SGDQ2014 actually, and it was critically important to making that event go smoother. It doesn't need to be a few hours of downtime if you plan your steps prior. But honestly from what I've heard it's way more than just setup issues going on (lots of bad and missing hardware), which no amount of setup is going to fix. It's a rough situation, and being a weekend does not help anything.

I'm pretty sad that the tech side is ruining so much here since I was really looking forward to ESA. I don't know what you could do in a situation like this, coldly drop some runs off the schedule? If there's no guarantee the tech is gonna hold any better.

The announcers have done a great job so far holding the thing together and the runs themselves have been good, and I can only imagine what kind of bustling is going on between the scenes on the tech side.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

This Lucky dime caper run is probably the best I've seen so far, the runners have great banter going on.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I was just now able to do a donation via G2A pay and PayPal. The interface is pretty messy, though, with limited space on the donations and the stream itself taking a huge part of the screen.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Today has been a lot more solid tech-wise. Some awkward/funny moments with announcers trying to fill dead air, but that should be alright with Eonwe.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I wish there would be more finns at xGDQ's.

The problem is though that no one else gets any booze if we're around

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I know, and there's a lot of people whose great-something-grandparents were immigrants from Finland in Minnesota. That's where we ended up when we went to immigrate America.

If it's gonna be next summer in Minnesota as well, I'll have to take it into serious consideration. I've always wanted to go to a GDQ live.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Tune in now to see a ventriloquist runner playing Lands of Lore 3.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

This Lands of Lore run is probably the funniest so far of the event. Great combination of a bad game and a great runner & commentary. Even better with his amazing skills to talk without moving his mouth.

I haven't got time to see any VOD's, but from what I've seen, the Duck Tales 2 run and Donald: Lucky dime caper race were very good.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

mangler103 posted:

I guess it depends on where you are in the world. It's around 10am for me.

Still, any 7 hour run is kind of crazy for a speedrun marathon.

Last year (when ESA had two streams going on at the same time though) they had a similar, really long run of Final Fantasy IX which was really entertaining. Two guys played and one guy was on commentary.

But I have no such nostalgia for FF XII so I'll probably do something else for tonight.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Add Nintendo Nightmare on your watch list if you haven't seen it. I'm not sure if it's so much actually a "game" than a state of mind, but there's dev commentary

quote:

- Why did you make this game?
- I don't know.

And great fun all around.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Got my donation read, so I'm happy.

#hugsforhenneko

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Meanwhile I play good games in frustrating ways and end up resenting everyone and everything to do with it.

Takes all sorts to make a world, I guess but yeah Henneko's general spirit is pretty remarkable.

Too bad your run is in the middle of the night, but I'll be sure to watch the VOD and laugh at you cheer you on.

Chucat posted:

Hosting was fun, shame I have to do it again.

You did good

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Guy sits and plays Final Fantasy XII for 7 hours straight.

Guy takes a break 16 minutes into Timesplitters 2.

Granted, I only started watching when it just happened, so I'll have to see the VOD on what actually went down.

e: Then apparently they censored him in the interview by showing the hall cam instead of interview cam. (but if I got it correct he said him leaving was a joke since it was an auto-scroller.)

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jul 28, 2016

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Chucat posted:

It was a joke since otherwise he'd have sat there for 2 minutes doing nothing.

Also they showed the hall cam instead because they put the scene transistion through and then nothing happened, they weren't trying to censor him by just giving him audio in case he flashed the vape sign or something lmao.

Yeah, I know, I know. Someone said in the chat that they have GIVEN THE SIGNAL for screen transition but it just failed to change.

At least you had a good view on the whole thing. It was a very entertaining run, to be sure.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Tetris Grandmaster is always awesome despite I've seen it a couple of GDQ's already. I envy those who see this for the first time now.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Nice to hear you were happy Punchy, gonna watch the VOD now.

e: I'm always impressed by anyone who can actually give meaningful commentary during an involving game like this.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

From what I saw ESA this year, they were plagued by technical diffficulties and the whole event had a more "home-made" feel to it than compared to GDQ, both good and bad ways. It should be easier to arrange next year if they continue in the same arena.

e: It took me a little while to understand what is going on in the routing competition but it's definitely a fun concept.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 30, 2016

• Locked thread