Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

I'm post-irony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhvgHS2qCnY

sout
Apr 24, 2014

William Stoner posted:

I'm post-irony

I post irony too

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

Y-Hat posted:

this thread is like rain on your wedding day

a word fillllter, when i say i' mm gay

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Every loving reply post in every thread is:

"I like this thing. No irony."
"This, but unironically.
"Greatest thing ever, I'm not even being ironic."

No one is thinking that you are being ironic. Shut the gently caress up.

This, but satirically :smug:

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
B b b but there is no way to indicate tone in a post, if I don't explain my current irony level how are people gonna know when I am being ironic, or just sarcastic, or normal??????

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I would like to argue that Simpsonian hyper-ironism is not a mask for an underlying moral commitment. Here are three reasons, the first two of which are plausible but probably insufficient. First, The Simpsons does not consist of a single episode, but of over two hundred episodes spread out over more than ten seasons. There is good reason to think that apparent resolutions in one episode are usually undercut by others. In other words, we are cued to respond ironically to one episode, given the cues provided by many other episodes. However, one could argue, that this inter-episodic under-cutting is itself undercut by the show's frequent use of happy family endings.

Second, as a self-consciously hip show, The Simpsons can be taken to be aware of and to embrace what is current. Family values are hardly trendy, so there is little reason to believe that The Simpsons would adopt them whole-heartedly. However, this is weak confirmation at best. As a trendy show, The Simpsons could merely flirt with hyper-irony without fully adopting it. After all, it is hardly hyper-ironic to pledge allegiance to any flag, including the flag of hyper-ironism. Also, in addition to being a self-consciously hip show, it is also a show that must live within the constraints of prime-time American network television. One could argue that these constraints would force The Simpsons towards a commitment to some sort of palatable moral stance. Therefore, we cannot infer that the show is hyper-ironic from the lone premise that it is self-consciously hip.

The third and strongest reason for a pervasive hyper-ironism and against the claim that The Simpsons takes a stand in favor of family values is based on the perception that the comedic energy of the show dips significantly whenever moral closure and/or didacticism rise above the surface (e.g. in the Bleeding Gums Murphy episodes). Unlike Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Simpsons is fundamentally a comedy. Buffy can get away with dropping its ironic stance, because it is an adventure focussed on the timeless battle between good and evil. The Simpsons has nowhere else to go when it stops being funny. Thus, it's very funny when it celebrates physical cruelty in any given Itchy and Scratchy Show. It's very funny when it ridicules Krusty and the marketing geniuses who broadcast Itchy and Scratchy. It's banal, flat, and not funny when it tries to deal seriously with the issue of censorship arising from Itchy and Scratchy. The lifeblood of The Simpsons, and its astonishing achievement, is the pace of cruelty and ridicule that it has managed to sustain for over a decade. The prevalence of quotationalism helps to sustain this pace, because the show can look beyond itself for a constant stream of targets. When the target-shooting slows down for a wholesome message or a heart-warming family moment, the program slows to an embarrassing crawl with nary a quiver from the laugh-meter.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
If the people you hang out with like enough things ironically that they have to specify when they like something unironically, you need to find some new friends.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

unironically agree

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
op im glad you took this stance against irony. its a bold position and im righ here with you

sout
Apr 24, 2014

yeah man irony sucks /s
i have to post "/s" so people know I'm being sarcastic.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Brannock posted:

Op is correct. Irony died in the 00s. Find something new.

ok

how about a little bit of nihilism, a little bit of apathy and a tinge of irony

something like post modern dadaism

..........its a working title

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

voted 1 ironically

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
irony poisoning is serious. one day its some flippant one liners, the next youre putting up chalkboards to track ironic narratives youve woven across the wordl wide web

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Blazing Zero posted:

irony poisoning is serious. one day its some flippant one liners, the next youre putting up chalkboards to track ironic narratives youve woven across the wordl wide web

Keeping Up with the Gimmicks~

cnut
May 3, 2016

I was ironic before it was passé :smug:

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Isaac posted:

I voted this a 1. the lowest possible score that we know of.

iim quoting isaa c posts, its the start of a new hobby jah bless

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I.. I was being postmodern. :catbert:

cnut
May 3, 2016

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I.. I was being postmodern. :catbert:

ironically?

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cnut posted:

ironically?

Yeah so it was actually just portraiture. :colbert:

clitical hit
Nov 21, 2015

i am all about irony. anemia is nothing to joke about

cnut
May 3, 2016

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Yeah so it was actually just portraiture. :colbert:

I'm unironically LMAO. Well done :)

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
no

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Well this is just like rain on your wedding day.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Hah! I posted this ironically and you all fell for it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Blazing Zero posted:

and then you have prodromal schizophrenia

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Fozzy The Bear posted:

:argh:
i'm just kidding I'm not really angry

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Fozzy The Bear posted:

this may have been an ironic thread but it unironically sucked

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

Put a boner up ur butt op

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
a superposition of all possible states of irony at the same time

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

Volume posted:

This but ironically

This but including and not limited to unironically.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
I'm iconically ironic; I have become a meme.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

irony poisoning is real. we all know the story of permabanned poster niggerstomper58. heed his warning, before it is too late!

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
goddamnit put me on probation already

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
ironically

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Here is an ironic picture of a dog, op

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
another word for "unironic" is sincerely

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Nathilus posted:

B b b but there is no way to indicate tone in a post, if I don't explain my current irony level how are people gonna know when I am being ironic, or just sarcastic, or normal??????

quit being so serious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Ire on 'e!

Ire on all of ye.

• Locked thread