Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i got a vhs-c camcorder for like a dollar to maybe make bad green screen videos at some point in the future

the entire thing just seems mad over-engineered. so many moving parts, i wonder why they didnt just split it into a camera/viewfinder and fanny pack the tape deck cause its a size of a drat football itis not compact in the slightest

its got a seemingly good lens but i guess its also not hard to get 240p into focus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Three-Phase posted:

There was an episode of this British TV show called the Secret Life of Machines that went over how a VCR and video recording in general worked, it was pretty cool.

These really old video recorders for broadcasting basically used gigantic reels of razor wire. They spun very fast and it was dangerous if the metal tape broke.

are you sure it was video? cause before there were tapes they used wire in p much the same way. they werent super great but in 1950 tape heads were fuckin cutting edge, wire recorders were way simpler/cheaper

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Number_6 posted:

Laugh all you want at VCRs, but show me a modern mainstream recording device that will easily and affordably record content, especially HD content, from cable or OTA TV, for permanent archival purposes. DVD recorders are all but dead, and as far as I know, recorders that support HD cost a fortune. Not to mention the Orwellian copy protection built into everything now.

Edit: why doesn't every loving DVR have "burn this recording to disc" function integrated right into it? I mean Christ its the most basic idea, that some programs you want to record onto media for permanent storage. Its a loving travesty how the industry and the government has allowed the consumers "fair use" recording rights to be ripped away.

gently caress the DMCA, hack the planet

you can buy a $10 box to strip HDCP protection from HDMI. you need a capture card to record poo poo and they aren't cheap but that's because they aren't in demand.

honestly it is way easier and faster for people to just download a scene release for what they want than it is to record it off of their tv or physical media since u need vaguely specialized equipment. of course, you wouldn't download a car, would you? so why would you download a rip of something you own on a disk :grin:

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
this is a crime, fyi

f u c k t h e d m c a

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i remember for a while dvd players were vaguely expensive and so a bunch of people i knew just had ps2s. too bad the drive mechanism on fat ps2s is probably one of the worst things ever designed and everyone had replaced theirs by like 2005 because it wouldn't open or read disks anymore

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Even funnier is they'd only read blue bottomed discs

those are cds rather than dvds

the ps2 had a single lovely intake fan in the back and narrow slats on the front but they get covered in dust and stop working. there was basically no airflow management on the ps2, just a single chamber with giant fuckoff heat sink sitting next to the drive. you ended up with a lot of dust buildup which hella coats the drive mechanism and laser in dust. dvds require way more accurate laser placement so no surprise that if it gets hosed up it stops reading dvds

its easily solvable but if you google the problem you will get a whole bunch of 5 step magic spells that look like they wouldn't fix poo poo but people claim it works. turn it upside down and shake it, lmao.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

numberoneposter posted:

i have put my video card in the oven a couple times to re-melt the solder

yeah but that makes sense even if putting something in the oven seems questionable

what doesnt make sense is PUT TAPE ON A DISK. NOW OKAY PUT THE DISK IN. UNPLUG YOUR PS2 AND SHAKE IT. TURN IT UPSIDE DOWN AND SHAKE IT. YOU HAVE REPAIRED THE DRIVE ON YOUR PS2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i mean mine does too but thats because i had to open it up and rip the drive mechanism out because it stripped its gears

• Locked thread