Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Number_6 posted:

Laugh all you want at VCRs, but show me a modern mainstream recording device that will easily and affordably record content, especially HD content, from cable or OTA TV, for permanent archival purposes. DVD recorders are all but dead, and as far as I know, recorders that support HD cost a fortune. Not to mention the Orwellian copy protection built into everything now.

Edit: why doesn't every loving DVR have "burn this recording to disc" function integrated right into it? I mean Christ its the most basic idea, that some programs you want to record onto media for permanent storage. Its a loving travesty how the industry and the government has allowed the consumers "fair use" recording rights to be ripped away.

I had this problem when I wanted to get some recordings off my HD dvr. The loving thing had USB and firewire ports but they were permanently disabled because someone might pirate Jerry Springer or something. I solved it by buying a Hauppauge PVR1212 and now I have the only copy of Cool As Ice on Blu-ray (seriously).

As for vhs, I still have an svhs deck I bought in 2003. I like using s-video when capturing old family videos to DV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Haha wow. I'm guessing four movies on one disc mean it has terrible picture quality though :smug:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
It is kind of weird to think that there will be a time, probably while I am still alive, that there's not a single functioning vcr left on the planet. Especially since they were very prone to breaking to begin with.

I had a very difficult time finding an arcade CRT for my cabinet recently. They were easy as hell to find in 2008, for only $50. Now you're lucky to find one without burn in, and you're still looking at $400+.

I found a guy who somehow had them brand new and I bought two of them because I know I'll be completely hosed in 15-20 years if I ever need to replace it. I'll digitize all my vhs tapes before I start hoarding vcrs, though.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

nigga crab pollock posted:

i remember for a while dvd players were vaguely expensive and so a bunch of people i knew just had ps2s. too bad the drive mechanism on fat ps2s is probably one of the worst things ever designed and everyone had replaced theirs by like 2005 because it wouldn't open or read disks anymore

Even funnier is they'd only read blue bottomed discs

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

numberoneposter posted:

i have put my video card in the oven a couple times to re-melt the solder

This fixed the broken Xbox 360s too

• Locked thread