Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

jackyl posted:

was there a copy of the vcr thread?

Yeah. It'll have 3 times the content, but the quality is about 1/2 as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Hrist posted:

Remember the old commercials for ITT Tech or whatever where they offered a degree in VCR repair? Haha, good luck in the job market now, idiots. :smuggo:

Now that you won't be able to buy a new VCR, in about 4-5 years the VCR repair market will get big because of people who still have large VHS collections that they want to hold onto or what not will probably pay someone to fix and maintain their old 90s, Japanese-made SVHS decks or something.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Autumn Angel posted:

Huh, I wouldn't have expected the demand to still be so high in 2015.

I wonder how long until VCRs become some kind of rare, expensive piece of retro gadgetry? It'll be kind of funny if they eventually command huge prices like so many old game consoles do now.

While it exists now, I'm sort of wondering if an even more ultrahipster market of people who horde and collect old VHS recordings of everything from local TV broadcasts to home movies will become a bigger thing. There will be a special rarity to these literal never-to-be-seen-again contents that they won't even make copies of them so as to not dilute their value. Like someone will have a complete and unedited rough cut VHS copy* of The Day The Clown Died that only they and they alone can possess. They will unsheathe it now and then for private viewings with close, like-minded collectors, until the day someone who desires it more bashes them over the head with vase to claim it as their own.

(*Possible that it could exist? Jerry Lewis apparently used some video assist method for recording to video at the same time as filming traditionally with one of his movies. The idea of there being a box of VHS tapes of every stage of the filming might be possible with that film as well if they weren't taped over with soap operas.)

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 24, 2016

• Locked thread