Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Welcome to the Comic Book Animation Thread. In this thread, we get to discuss the like twelve good adaptations of comics, and then the endless sea of poo poo that we’ve experienced for nearly a century.

But first, here is a handy guide to what is on and what is coming.

What’s On

Jeph Loeb and Steve Wacker’s Boring Animation Bonanza, Disney XD

The primary thing on TV right now in terms of superheroes is Disney XD’s take on the Marvel Universe. These shows are pretty generic, and I really don’t like them. But here they consist of the following programs:

Avengers Assemble

The rather generic usurper of the mostly fabulous Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes. It originally veered closer to the movies, but has veered a bit closer to the comics. They’re apparently doing a Secret Wars storyline with Jane Foster Thor.

Guardians of the Galaxy

Not connected to the film, but it sure wants you to think it is. It’s a pretty alright facsimile of the tone of the movie.

Ultimate Spider-Man: Something Something

Not really based on the comic book series, and very up and down in quality. Like Avengers Assemble, each season has its own thing, and the seasons are even named in a similar way to say American Horror Story. The last season was Ultimate Spiderman vs the Sinister Six.

While it focused on Peter, it also features a lot of Miles Morales.

Hulks Agents of SMASH

There was also the Hulk show that was much more boring than its premise of all the different Hulks teaming up and its title suggested. It’s dead now.

Justice League: Gods and Monsters Chronicles, Machinima/Youtube

Sort of an odd-duck, this an offshoot of the direct-to-video movie Gods and Monsters that recasts Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman with different people taking on those roles and a darker world.

Originally, three mini episodes were put up revolving around Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman. A second season was ordered will feature a longer episode order.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Nick

Continuing the trend of nearly thirty years of almost continuous Turtles cartoons and TV shows, the most recent version cuts the difference between the classic 87 series and the 2003 series in terms of tone.

It features a lot of the usual stuff, and the most notable change is April and Casey being teenagers. It’s been very well received and is very fun.

Teen Titans Go!, Cartoon Network

Teen Titans Go is similar to the Teen Titans series from earlier in the century with the same voice cast and similar designs. It abandons any pretense at being an actual superhero story and has none of the pathos of its predecessor.

Instead it’s closer to Regular Show or Adventure Time in tone, but darker than those shows. Honestly, I don’t find the show to really have the heart that makes Cartoon Network’s other tweenish aimed programming work. But it’s worth a few chuckles.

Vixen, CW Seed (CW’s Streaming Service)

Vixen is in continuity with The Flash, Supergirl, Arrow, etc because you know those are more or less cartoons anyway.

It’s been praised for quality animation and a fun little addition for those who enjoy the CWverse.

What’s Coming?!

Hahahaha not loving much.

Big Hero 6, Disney XD

Based on the successful animated film loosely based on the Marvel Comics series, Big Hero 6 continues the adventure of the team. Probably not as well animated.

[IMG][/IMG]

Justice League Action, Cartoon Network

Justice League Unlimited and Brave and the Bold had a baby I guess.

It looks pretty fun, a more lighthearted take on the Justice League compared to the boring Young Justice. Also Wonder Woman’s hair is dope as gently caress.

Coming to a DVD and Your Dad’s HBOGO Account… MOVIES

For the past ten years, both Marvel and DC have produced a slew of direct to video films. Honestly, most of them are very, very bad.

DC’s selection has mostly been based on classic stories. Here are some better examples:

All-Star Superman

A great adaptation of the graphic novel with some smart changes. It definitely doesn’t capture the magic of the book, but it might come as close as possible.

Batman: Year One

A strict adaptation of the classic Miller novel retelling Batman’s fist year in Gotham.

Justice League: New Frontier

Based on the graphic novel, it tells the story of the Justice League coming together in a world where the Justice League characters first appear in correlation with their real world first appearances, culminating in the birth of the 1960s.

Hulk vs Wolverine

The only genuinely good Marvel Movie, Hulk vs Wolverine is pretty solid. It came in a double feature pack with two stories. One featured Wolverine versus Hulk and the other with him versus Thor. The latter is pretty poor, but the former is a fun time.

Coming to a Theater Near You

Batman: The Killing Joke

Finally for a limited time, you can hear uncomfortable nerds clap while the Gordon family is sexually assaulted, tortured, and humiliated by the Joker.The Batman story nobody likes anymore finally comes to life. See the vision of a man who once wrote a novel where Harry Potter kills a man with his flaccid cock, but this is the thing he regrets.

The Lego Batman Movie

Will Arnett's Batman from the Lego Movie returns! The truest version of Batman since 1966.

Spider-Man Animated Movie that Probably Won't happen

Before Spider-Man showed up in Civil War, Sony just didn't even know what the gently caress they were doing. And even after they made the deal with Marvel and decided to go for another reboot of the character, they still decided to make an animated movie. Lord and Miller of Lego Movie fame were attached, but are now gone. Also it might star Miles Morales. I don't feel this is ever actually going to happen.

CARTOONS!

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
pssst your pics aren't showing

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Just would like to note that the 2009 Wonder Woman animated movie is really good and underappreciated imo. There's like a million Batman-centric animated movies, but only one solely about Wonder Woman. The eff WB Animation.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm watching through Batman Beyond with a couple of friends at the moment, who I also watched Justice League, Teen Titans, and Young Justice with.

I really like Beyond, but honestly, I still feel like Teen Titans is probably my favorite of them just because I love those characters so much.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

redbackground posted:

Really? It's working for me.

teagone posted:

Just would like to note that the 2009 Wonder Woman animated movie is really good and underappreciated imo. There's like a million Batman-centric animated movies, but only one solely about Wonder Woman. The eff WB Animation.
It's good. There's a scene that sort of skeeves me out. The Green Lantern movie, First Flight is also pretty decent. It comes with a really neat idea of ripping off the formula of Training Day and replacing Denzel with Sinestro.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I rather enjoyed Superman vs The Elite, Crisis on Two Earths, and Doom.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Teen Titans Go is a lot of fun. Also unlike every other cartoon they've ever put out they're somehow allowed to just do whatever when it comes to using characters.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
As of season 4 Ultimate Spider-man is now a fairly okay action comedy cartoon, rather than family guy gags with a little action, wouldn't call it great but it's neat, specially compared to Avengers Assemble which regardless of what storylines it brings, be it Thunderbolts or Infinity, always manages to be aggressively mediocre. If you want your Spider-man & Miles and Agent Venom and Scarlet Spider and Amadeus Cho fix there's worse ways to spend twenty minutes.

Also yeah, TTG is a lot of fun, in a couple of weeks they're doing a whole week of Gilligan's Island.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That Avengers cartoon seems about as animated as that Captain America show from the 60s that you could get in the dollar vhs bin at the grocery store in 2002.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Teen Titans Go features an episode wherein Robin teaches the Titans (and viewers) how to be a slumlord so it is a cool and good show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFgs18qh1Yg

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I've very excited about JL Action having Swamp Thing in it. I hope psychedelic yams are somehow involved.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Teen Titans Go sometimes get a chuckle out of me, but it's not enough for me to say I really like the series.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
TTG is basically DC as a whole. A few really, really good bits, bogged down by everything else.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
I watched the post-Flashpoint DC Animated Movies and... for the most part, I actually liked them. Batman: Bad Blood and the Justice League: War were the only ones I had REAL issues with, actually. The former, for deciding that murdering the ENTIRE VILLAIN CAST in a BATMAN movie was a good idea. And the latter... well I can't even fault it for its own storytelling foibles. Really all its problems are ones I had with the original story. Supes being ultraviolent and all that. Though I will admit they made the plot more coherent than "Darkseid shows up to conquer earth because he's Darkseid and we needed a villain". The Aquaman movie- and it was basically an Aquaman movie- was also pretty great, and I was afraid they were going to skew close to the comics version. No, instead they were smart and had Aquaman not be going out of his way to show what a badass he was, and instead be some guy who... was generally feeling in over his head at first, and then, later, just embraced the fact that this was his life now, and it's actually kind of cool. Look at me rambling, it's way too early in the morning for me to be posting.

I will say that this poo poo with TKJ has made me decide not to go see the movie in theaters like I originally planned, though.

KaosMachina fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jul 24, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The post-Flashpoint movies without Damian in them are way better than the ones with him in it.

I like Damian, but I really dislike his portrayal in those movies, and I can't stand how any character development he gains seems to just get reset for the next one so he can learn the same lesson again.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Roth posted:

The post-Flashpoint movies without Damian in them are way better than the ones with him in it.

I like Damian, but I really dislike his portrayal in those movies, and I can't stand how any character development he gains seems to just get reset for the next one so he can learn the same lesson again.

I'll agree with your second point wholeheartedly. It'd be better if they just kept with the character development and had him NOT be such a damned annoying brat all the time. The most satisfying part of Justice League vs. Teen Titans was probably his relationship with Raven- and actually getting told "Shut the gently caress up about your daddy issues nobody cares" by someone who found them, at best, quaint by comparison to her own.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I actually hated Justice League vs Teen Titans the most out of all of them.

It shifted a story that should be about Raven to being about Damian, in order to teach him the same exact lesson yet again, while reducing Raven down to being a damsel and Damian's love interest.

I also had a ton of other issues with it, such as really disliking the voice acting (Raven sounds bored as hell for instance), Raven mocking her Mom for joining a cult followed by Beast Boy making a joke about her rape, the attempt to tease a romance between Damian and Raven falling flat because the voice actors make them sound like a bored teenage girl and her eight year old brother, Wonder Woman criticizing movies for having men rescue women all the time only for her to be rescued by Superman later in the movie and say "Just like in the movies."

Granted, I did like a few things. I liked the scene where Beast Boy is talking to Raven during training, morphs back and is naked. I liked the part where Jaime blasted Damian in the face, and the magical girl transformation. Overall though, I ended up really not enjoying myself with the movie.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Teen Titans Go is endearing to me. I won't pretend I go out of my way to watch episodes of it, but the showrunners are great. Their attitude about the show is awesome. I've gotten a few chuckles out of it.

TKJ was a mistake.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Saw the Killing Joke in the cinema today. That first segment on Batgirl is about as cringe inducing as it gets. The audience ( which was packed out mind you in a pretty big theatre) literally booed or were laughing at that terrible sex scene and the scene afterwards where she's complaining about it to her friend.

I honestly don't know what they were thinking with that segment of the movie, but boy did they miss the mark entirely.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
You're kidding. The audience booed? People actually gave out about it?

And just like that, my faith in humanity swells.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Honestly, the first segment just felt like a whole different movie. A lovely movie but a different movie.

They could've just made a, I don't know, Batman vs Batgirl or something stupid like that. Killing Joke would've been like 30 minutes long without all that and be better for it.

Wasn't Batman: Year One beat for beat from the comic anyway? Why not do that with Killing Joke and just have it shorter?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Images definitely aren't loading.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Kind of out of the loop an that one, why does the Killing joke adaption had a sex scene with Batgirl in it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

e X posted:

Kind of out of the loop an that one, why does the Killing joke adaption had a sex scene with Batgirl in it.

Bruce Timm thought it'd be neato. And Brian Azzarello thinks you're a pussy if you disagree or something like that.

Word's leaked to my Facebook and now that damned SJW thing is being tossed around. What a mess.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Dare I ask with whom?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Why can't people criticize lovely comic book movies without it being made political.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

e X posted:

Dare I ask with whom?

Batman.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
:staredog:

For gently caress's sake, seriously? The whole thing was dumb when it was implied in the DCAU, but at least you could ignore it easily enough. Why would you ever think that is a good idea?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

e X posted:

:staredog:

For gently caress's sake, seriously? The whole thing was dumb when it was implied in the DCAU, but at least you could ignore it easily enough. Why would you ever think that is a good idea?

Azzarello wanted it because its controversial and you're a pussy for not getting how edgy this is. (He literally said both these things, this is not me putting words in his mouth)

Timm wanted it because he ships Batman/Batgirl hard and won't let the fact nobody else does, nor the fact that DC cannon doesn't support it stop him.

Liu wanted it because it shows how emotionally strong Batgirl is, because she quits being Batgirl because her love for Bruce causes her to gently caress up and almost kill someone.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

redbackground posted:

Endless Mike posted:

Images definitely aren't loading.

For me they didn't show until I removed the "s" in the https of this forums adress. https sometimes interferes with some embedded pictures. I guess that's the point.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DrProsek posted:

Azzarello wanted it because its controversial and you're a pussy for not getting how edgy this is. (He literally said both these things, this is not me putting words in his mouth)

Not that I'm defending Azzarello, because I think what happened to the Killing Joke film is hot garbage, but he didn't outright just call someone a pussy for not getting how edgy the movie is. Just to be clear, someone in the crowd yelled an insult towards Azzarello and he asked them to say it again because he couldn't really hear it, but knew it was an insult. Whoever yelled didn't say what they said again and that's when Brian called whoever threw out the insult a pussy. Still an idiot though, but yeah, context.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
E: Wait no, tried removing the 's', worked fine. Yeah, https doesn't like loading http content.

teagone posted:

Not that I'm defending Azzarello, because I think what happened to the Killing Joke film is hot garbage, but he didn't outright just call someone a pussy for not getting how edgy the movie is. Just to be clear, someone in the crowd yelled an insult towards Azzarello and he asked them to say it again because he couldn't really hear it, but knew it was an insult. Whoever yelled didn't say what they said again and that's when Brian called whoever threw out the insult a pussy. Still an idiot though, but yeah, context.

Ah, right, I remembered it happened at a TKJ panel where people were complaining about the movie, but I forgot specifically what the audience member said before he called them a pussy.

Fair enough to Azzarello. Calling someone a pussy isn't really related to his reason for doing the Batman/Batgirl subplot in TKJ.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 24, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DrProsek posted:

E: Wait no, tried removing the 's', worked fine. Yeah, https doesn't like loading http content.

Ah, right, I remembered it happened at a TKJ panel where people were complaining about the movie, but I forgot specifically what the audience member said before he called them a pussy.

Fair enough to Azzarello. Calling someone a pussy isn't really related to his reason for doing the Batman/Batgirl subplot in TKJ.

After the panel gave a response to a fan's question, saying that they felt Babs was still a strong female character in the film, I think the audience member sarcastically/mockingly blurted out, "yeah, by using sex and pining for Bruce" or something to that effect.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

teagone posted:

After the panel gave a response to a fan's question, saying that they felt Babs was still a strong female character in the film, I think the audience member sarcastically/mockingly blurted out, "yeah, by using sex and pining for Bruce" or something to that effect.

Which is not really an insult at all, and a valid point. A pretty silly thing to get mad about. If he heard any of it at all, it shouldn't have angered him to the point of an outburst.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Air is lava! posted:

For me they didn't show until I removed the "s" in the https of this forums adress. https sometimes interferes with some embedded pictures. I guess that's the point.

Guess I won't be seeing the pics then!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

teagone posted:

Like look, I'm sure the dude in the audience was being a snarky nerd. But

1) It's a stupid change, and his answer was complete bullshit. Like Timm gave a better answer, and to be fair, I do agree with him. I think the notion that Batman and Batgirl have a father/daughter relationship is straight up false. And I think it's fair to say that the crush was there on Batman 66. Honestly, I don't necessarily have an issue with the relationship in general.

What we've seen is infinitely more stupid and poorly written than what was shown in Batman Beyond

2) But also grown rear end men shouldn't be shouting and calling people pussies like loving idiots. Even if the nerd was being a huge rear end in a top hat, Azz was being a child.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
On Justice Leauge War. I dislike how Darkseid seems weaker then he is. There is also the fact that Blinding him should actually do nothing to him being able to use the Omega effect. (He can shoot it from anywhere he just prefers his eyes, he can even shoot it from other people's eyes.) I wish they just said it was one of his Avatars.

(Least they seem to be fixing this for the Live action movies. As the villain of the Justice League Movie is going to be his henchman Steppenwolf instead of him directly)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SonicRulez posted:

Word's leaked to my Facebook and now that damned SJW thing is being tossed around. What a mess.

I was about to ask "what RoboCop thing?" but then I hit quote. I think this is my new favorite word filter.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

Which is not really an insult at all, and a valid point. A pretty silly thing to get mad about. If he heard any of it at all, it shouldn't have angered him to the point of an outburst.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Like look, I'm sure the dude in the audience was being a snarky nerd. But

1) It's a stupid change, and his answer was complete bullshit. Like Timm gave a better answer, and to be fair, I do agree with him. I think the notion that Batman and Batgirl have a father/daughter relationship is straight up false. And I think it's fair to say that the crush was there on Batman 66. Honestly, I don't necessarily have an issue with the relationship in general.

What we've seen is infinitely more stupid and poorly written than what was shown in Batman Beyond

2) But also grown rear end men shouldn't be shouting and calling people pussies like loving idiots. Even if the nerd was being a huge rear end in a top hat, Azz was being a child.

From what I've read online, the person who heckled the panel was actually a reporter from Bleeding Cool. He did a writeup about the panel and admitted that his emotions got the best of him when he decided to attack the panel with sarcasm despite them doing their best to give a good answer. Like I said, I wholly disapprove of the changes too, but it seemed like there was already a lot of tension in the room when the question was originally asked and answered, and both Azzarello and the Bleeding Cool guy were tilted. Basically both of them are jackasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Guess I won't be seeing the pics then!

Yeah, I'm not swapping https poo poo just to see some gifs.

It's a small thing, but can't you swap 'em to Imgur like the rest of the internet?